PDA

View Full Version : Journal Times: Shaq Could Get Two-Year, $8M Deal

JordansBulls
06-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Link (http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_454ce16e-825b-11df-ace1-001cc4c002e0.html)

Shaquille O'Neal made $20 million with the Cavaliers this past season, but league officials expect the free agent center to take a significant pay cut.

The Journal Times writes that O'Neal could get a two-year, $8 million contract on the free agent market.

HeatBBall
06-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't even want him on the Heat for that amount.

Unown99
06-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I hope the Laker pick him up for Backup Center, but only on a 1 Year Deal.

S-Dot
06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Yo JB, do you think it's time for this guy to finally call it quits. Though I know he wants that 5th ring badly, and may be able to offer a few good minutes, his repuation as a player gets ruined every year he stays and goes to yet another team. Granted, he is arguably the most dominant cenetr of all times, but I think he should hang it up...he's made his permanent mark on the NBA as a player already. Its time for him to explore other options.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Who offered him this?

sofargone
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Shaq would never go back to the Lakers. My guess is he goes to whatever team comes in second in the free agency, so my guess would be the Heat LOL assuming Lebron and Bosh go to Chicago. Then again that might not even happen.

ManRam
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't mind him backing up Dwight in Orlando, as long as we can move Gortat for the right package and as long as he is cool with playing for the minimum ;)

I don't think he needs to call it quits just yet. He's still an effective back up center...better than most back ups out there. 12 points, 7 boards in 22 minutes of action, shooting 57% is still very solid. He's still swatting shots too...just at a rate below his career average.

dnewguy
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Shaq would never go back to the Lakers. My guess is he goes to whatever team comes in second in the free agency, so my guess would be the Heat LOL assuming Lebron and Bosh go to Chicago. Then again that might not even happen.

I don't see Riley signing him after he claimed he was surprised the Heat won the championship and that he partied all the time in Miami.

blazerman
06-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Shaq is a bum these days why waste the money.

magichatnumber9
06-28-2010, 01:53 PM
What's wrong with Gortat? He should be starting for a team. Yeah Rondo might of made him look silly a couple of times but he does that to a lot of people.

phlp_bj
06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
spurs
celtics
magic
thunder
nuggets
mavs

just listed some contenders that shaq could possibly go to

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I think he should go to the Knicks.

They need a "BIG" free agent...

Eightyfive Y'aw
06-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Agreed. Or does Lopez need a backup on the Nets?

blastmasta26
06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
$4 mil a year would still be too much. If Shaq really wants to win, he should take a one year deal for about half of the MLE at most with the Lakers. He definitely does not need money and Shaq hurts most teams while he's on the floor anyway.

ldc62
06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't mind him backing up Dwight in Orlando, as long as we can move Gortat for the right package and as long as he is cool with playing for the minimum ;)

I don't think he needs to call it quits just yet. He's still an effective back up center...better than most back ups out there. 12 points, 7 boards in 22 minutes of action, shooting 57% is still very solid. He's still swatting shots too...just at a rate below his career average.

So from ridiculing Dwight to backing him up? Shaq would look like a bigger ***

clehmun
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
is this two years 8 million per year?! or two years 8 million total, 4 million per year?

ManRam
06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
What's wrong with Gortat? He should be starting for a team. Yeah Rondo might of made him look silly a couple of times but he does that to a lot of people.

Nothing is wrong with him, he's just our best trade asset, and if we can score a go-to scorer with him involved in the package, I'm all for it. Back up centers are the least of our worries right now, especially when Dwight is our starter.

So from ridiculing Dwight to backing him up? Shaq would look like a bigger ***

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there...It wouldn't ever happen.

NYKalltheway
06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
He's asking too much. The minimum vet is enough for him

ManRam
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
is this two years 8 million per year?! or two years 8 million total, 4 million per year?

When it's worded like it's worded there, I usually think it means 2 years, worth 8 million total. That makes much more sense too. No way will he fetch above the MLE.

J4KOP99
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

This.

clehmun
06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
When it's worded like it's worded there, I usually think it means 2 years, worth 8 million total. That makes much more sense too. No way will he fetch above the MLE.

yea thats what i thought just double checking. thanks.

awmathewsjr
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
He should sit back and let everything transpire, then sign with the best put together team(with the exception of LA of course).

NY Till I Die
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM

At 4mil he should definietly go to the Knicks. We need a veteran Big man and he could help in teaching Jerome Jordan how to play in the paint.

Sounds like a no brainer, unless he wants to go to Boston or another team he feels is on the verge of a championship.

I think he will wait and see where the real "Big name" free agents go than make his decision. And he is certain to take a pay cut.

JordansBulls
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Yo JB, do you think it's time for this guy to finally call it quits. Though I know he wants that 5th ring badly, and may be able to offer a few good minutes, his repuation as a player gets ruined every year he stays and goes to yet another team. Granted, he is arguably the most dominant cenetr of all times, but I think he should hang it up...he's made his permanent mark on the NBA as a player already. Its time for him to explore other options.

Yeah it was time once the Heat lost in round 1 in 2007.

D Roses Bulls
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM

no way........shaq would screw up that chemistry and complain right away once things didnt go his way. besides it will never happen as long as van gundy is coach. that would be a disaster if he went to orlando

Trouble87
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Unless he's going back to the Lakers, its time to call it a career and hang um up

RaiderLakersA's
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
...Shaq hurts most teams while he's on the floor ...

Which is exactly why I don't want to see him in a Lakers jersey next year. I wish him well, though, whenever he isn't competing against the Lakers.

VinceCarter
06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Agreed. Or does Lopez need a backup on the Nets?

I'm a Nets fan and was wondering if this could work. I mean we do have a defensive minded coach in Avery Johnson. But I don't know how much ego Shaq has left. If he could completely accept the role of being a backup to Brook Lopez and he didn't command too much money or mess with our other free agent plans THEN I'd say go for it.

blazerman
06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Well maybe the Wizards pick him up, with the addition of John Wall and Shaq I think they could seLL some tickets in DC.

Who knows maybe Gilbert Arenas will be a nice guy and let him "shaq" up at his house till he finds a pad of his own. I doubt their girlfriend and kids would mind having their other dad home.

The Raven
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
He should be getting league minimum

Allstar21
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I see him either going to the Mavs or the Nuggets....neither at anywhere near 8mil a year

What would be best for shaq is to join the analyst scene...maybe even along side Barkley

I would bet 10000000$ that shaq balloons to 500lbs once he retires :D

Thisisouryear!!
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Shaq should be playing for the Vet min....and thats what i think he will do wherever lebron goes to try and win his 5th ring

Allstar21
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
i think lebron hates shaq for being worthless in the playoffs

Double_R
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
He was the "Big Aristotle", the "BIG Cactus", the "Big Samsonite"(his front runner name), now he's the "Big Headache"... He hurt the Cavs more than he helped them... he can't guard anything or rebound and he's definitely not gonna be happy with coming off the bench for offense about 15min a game...

JordansBulls
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM

:confused:

Shaq showed up.

69centers
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I believe the write-up said $8 mil per year, not two years for $8 mil, which is only $4 mil per year.

Lake_Show2416
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by NYKalltheway

Dam ppl are dumb as can be and should be slapped haha. Have some respect. Shaq has won 4 titles and is a legend. Yes his skills have diminished, but to ask a top 10 player of all time to take a vet minimum is ridiculous. 8mil for 2 years is reasonable.

avrpatsfan
06-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I see him either going to the Mavs or the Nuggets....neither at anywhere near 8mil a year

What would be best for shaq is to join the analyst scene...maybe even along side Barkley

I would bet 10000000$ that shaq balloons to 500lbs once he retires :D
It was 8 million 2 years.

RaiderLakersA's
06-28-2010, 04:48 PM

If I recall, Shaq was one of the Cavs' most consistently performing players during the playoffs. 13 ppg and 5 boards average against the Celtics defense isn't bad at all.

kblo247
06-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I think we can rule 4 teams out

Lakers - he would have to be the one to comeback to LA/Buss/Kobe/Phil
Spurs - he would have to possibly stay tied with Duncan
Celtics - ultimate way to piss Buss off and screw up his jersey retirement
Heat - see LA but place Riley in the place of Kobe/Buss

He should consider some place like the Hornets (LSU), New York, Utah (Okur is hurt), Denver (K-mart is hurt), or Chciago if Lebron goes there by himself (move Noah to PF)

nanablvd
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I used to think Dallas will be the team offering Shaq this type of contract. I guess now Dallas unexpectedly seems to be quite busy working on how to not let Dirk leave. Its gonna take a longer while until Dallas starts thinking about Shaq at this point.

Bruno
06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Shaq should finish his career with LAL.

Catfish1314
06-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I could see him in San Antonio for the right price. Unless the Spurs have decided their window has closed, now is as good a time as ever to go all out. He would still be a good fit in Dallas as well. If they don't get one of the big free agents, he could be a decent back-up plan.

IversonIsKrazy
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see him go SOuth. In either, San Antonio with Duncan, Dallas or Phoenix with Dirk (if suns sign Dirk), Thunder with KD, Westbrooke, Green, while having rookie Cole Aldrich backing him up

BkOriginalOne
Shaq is going to Dallas.

questkat
I think we can rule 4 teams out

Lakers - he would have to be the one to comeback to LA/Buss/Kobe/Phil
Spurs - he would have to possibly stay tied with Duncan
Celtics - ultimate way to piss Buss off and screw up his jersey retirement
Heat - see LA but place Riley in the place of Kobe/Buss

He should consider some place like the Hornets (LSU), New York, Utah (Okur is hurt), Denver (K-mart is hurt), or Chciago if Lebron goes there by himself (move Noah to PF)

You forgot to add New Jersey as a possible destination. He's from there (born in Newark) and i think it would make a lot of sense for him to end his career there. the Nets never had a player as big as him (both literally and personality wise). Even though he's washed up he would help sell tickets, but he'd have to take a backseat to Lopez

Klivlend
06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
The original post said Shaq may receive a 2 year, 8 million dollar contract. That means his services are employed for 2 years, and over that time he will earn 8 million dollars. This could mean Shaq will earn $4 million each year, or $2 million the first year and $6 million the second, or any other way you can think to split up $8 million over 2 years. How is this not clear to some people? Where is your reading comprehension PSD users?

LE-SHAQ
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
cavs will resign him

John408
06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I hope the Laker pick him up for Backup Center, but only on a 1 Year Deal.

same here.

SundaeBest
06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Nothing is wrong with him, he's just our best trade asset, and if we can score a go-to scorer with him involved in the package, I'm all for it. Back up centers are the least of our worries right now, especially when Dwight is our starter.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there...It wouldn't ever happen.

With the amount of foul trouble Dwight gets into...and his limited offense repertoire....I'd beg to differ :o

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Just cuz he isn't playing at the level he once use to doesn't mean he should hang them up. He's still better than half of the NBA players out there.

JOSKOMANG4
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I see Shaq going back to Miami(1yr 6mill)

C) Shaq
PF) Bosh(max contract)
SF) ??
SG) D.Wade(max contract)
PG) M.Chalmers

Nighthawk
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I wouldnt mind him in Boston. His size in the middle would help us on the glass and on defense. I highly doubt it

rapsallday
06-28-2010, 11:39 PM
wouldnt mind him in toronto

LA_Raiders
06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
vets min, but i can see NY giving him MLE 5M/yr

HOZ THE KNICK
06-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Who offered him this?

the nets he's originaly from jersey

PLAYERS FAN
06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
I want Shaq to go to the Spurs!

IBleedPurple
06-29-2010, 01:43 AM
He'd fit well in Denver, although they're in need of more than Shaq for a ring

lakerfan3118
06-29-2010, 02:15 AM

O'neal averaged 12PPG/7RBD/2ASST in 23 minutes of action. Before we start asking him to take the veteran's minimum, some of you might want to consider looking at his averages, which just to point out, are servicable.

He essentially was asked to take an out of character role in Pheonix, and Cleveland should have known from the start signing him would be a mistake alongside of a more up-tempo player in Lebron James. If he signs with the right team, he is worth that contract.

JordansBulls
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I want Shaq to go to the Spurs!

There, Denver or Dallas IMO.