PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Minor League thread 2.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jilly Bohnson
06-28-2010, 01:16 PM
The other one's over 1000 posts, and also, I feel like this news got swept under the rug a bit:

Congrats to Brett Jackson, Chris Archer, Aaron Shafer, and Rafel Dolis who were called up yesterday to Tennessee (AA).

-This morning on the Daytona Cubs FB page

Series of big roster moves just announced this afternoon: OF Ty Wright heads to AAA-Iowa, P Oswaldo Martinez heads to A-Daytona. Cubs' 2009 1st round pick, OF Brett Jackson, and P Rafael Dolis are headed to Tennessee from Daytona.

- This was yesterday from Tennessee's

Looks like they waited until after Archer made his last start to move him and Shafer.

Ron!n
06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
McNutt also moved up right?

BDawk4Prez
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
McNutt!! Oh how much fun that will be!

RedHeadsRule
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
McNutt also moved up right?

Yep. He's starting tonight for Daytona.

Jilly Bohnson
06-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Maestri and Cabrera to Daytona to make room

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm so excited to see what McNutt and Archer do.

redwhitenblue
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Hardly worth mentioning, but our old prospect Brian Dopirak posted a .308/.382/.577/.959 in the FSL in 2008 (for Toronto). He's actually put up a couple good seasons in a row now.From the other thread.

I remember Dopirak, he hit 40 bombs in A ball, crushing it everywhere. The guy was a beast.

JIMBO
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
From the other thread.

I remember Dopirak, he hit 40 bombs in A ball, crushing it everywhere. The guy was a beast.

I remember wanting to trade him after that year, D-Lee was in his prime, didn't need Dopirak. Get something nice in return.

Didn't Dopirak and Harvey go to the same High school?

Kirel
06-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I remember wanting to trade him after that year, D-Lee was in his prime, didn't need Dopirak. Get something nice in return.

Didn't Dopirak and Harvey go to the same High school?
Yes, both went to Dunedin HS in Dunedin, Florida, which is also the town where Jim Hendry was born.

cubsbullsbears2
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
For all you DJ haters--and im not saying i like the guy a ton--he is tearing it up lately. In his last 41 AB's he's got a line of .439/.467/.610/1.067 with 14 RBI...still not sold on him at all because of his GB rate but he still has an outside shot at the majors if he can significantly cut it down.

Jilly Bohnson
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
He's got an IsoP under .100. Hopefully his hot streak has come with significant mechanical changes, but if it hasnt' he still needs to make those before I'll get on the bandwagon. He is too big and strong to have an inside out swing, it's a complete waste.

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
For all you DJ haters--and im not saying i like the guy a ton--he is tearing it up lately. In his last 41 AB's he's got a line of .439/.467/.610/1.067 with 14 RBI...still not sold on him at all because of his GB rate but he still has an outside shot at the majors if he can significantly cut it down.

He has a .393BABIP in June and is only hitting LD's 18% of the time. And his GB% is still extremely high at 56%. And most of his GB% have become pop ups. Until he gets his ground ball rate to 50% or so for a couple of months in a row he's not much of a prospect IMO.

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
McNutt is having a /semi/ encouraging first start. He was pretty meh in the first inning allowing a run on a hit and two walks. But the second inning, while he had another walk, he had two K's, and 4 through 2 innings. Plus the other two outs are on grounders.

Cubs420
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
eh rough first outing for McNutt...6 strikeouts isn't to bad for 3 innings of work though :shrug:

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Lol, Jackson can't be stopped. Another hit.

Solid Snake
06-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow. Brett Jackson just hit ANOTHER HR off a lefty down 0-2 in the count. A 2-run shot that cut a 4 run deficit in half for the Smokies.

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Wow. Brett Jackson just hit ANOTHER HR off a lefty down 0-2 in the count. A 2-run shot that cut a 4 run deficit in half for the Smokies.

Jesus. He's ****ing unstoppable.

homestarunner93
06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Wasn't Jackson considered a reach for us last year?

Doogolas
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Vitters goes yard!

Kirel
06-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Wasn't Jackson considered a reach for us last year?
No, not by any stretch. He was damn near a consensus pick. Jilly just didn't like him.

thornga2
06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Good to see Vitters go yard again, and Jackson is just ridiculous. Hopefully by the end of this year they are past AA and have a legitimate shot at a big league spot next season.

Also good to see McNutt, Shafer, Dolis, and Archer all get called up. They have all had very good starts to this season, and it is encouraging to see that pitching help is on the way between these guys, and Carpenter/Jackson/Coleman.

Good to see Jae Hoon Ha doing some good things after a very disappointing rookie campaign. He struggled in Boise last year, but got moved up to Peoria anyways, and the 19 year old is playing CF for the Chiefs. So far this season, he is hitting .345/.365/.506. In 20 games, he has 5 doubles 1 triple and 2 HR. Seeing a little bit of power is very encouraging, because he showed very little as an 18 year old in Boise. He has taken four walks, which is bad, but is still an improvement from the six that he took in 65 games last season with the Hawks. He is also 6 for 6 in stolen bases, while he was just 5 for 10 all of last season. In short, he has made strides in every offensive category, which is great to see out of the talented young Korean prospect. He's a potential 5 tool guy, and it's great to see him starting to figure the game out. He is already very good defensively, smooth with good range and a plus arm.

Wellington Castillo is still a very intriguing prospect to me. He has really improved his walk rate this season, and his power numbers are really showing up as well, with an ISO of well over .250 so far this season. He is also doing a very good job with runners in scoring position with 39 RBI in only 144 AB's, because he is splitting time. He doesn't look like he will ever hit over .250 in the bigs, although he did hit .298 in 200 AA AB's in 2008. However, he has big time power potential for a catcher, and all the tools to succeed behind the plate. With another year and a half to put everything together, I think he could be an above average catcher, both defensively and offensively.

StrandedCub
06-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Trey McNutt - 3 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
Jeff Antigua - 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Rafael Dolis - 3 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Eric Jokisch - 1 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K (Boise - 11th Round Draft Pick)
Matt Loosen - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (AZL - 23rd Round Draft Pick)

Brett Jackson - 2/5 2-R HR
Josh Vitters - 1/4 HR
Hak-Ju Lee - 0/2 BB, 2 SB
Matt Cerda - 1/3 BB
DJ Lemahieu - 0/4
Kyler Burke - 1/3 3B, BB
Ryan Flaherty - 1/4 2B
Junior Lake - 2/3 2B
Pierre LePage - 2/4 2B (Boise - 13th Round Draft Pick)
Jeff Vigurs - 0/3 3 K (Boise - 22nd Round Draft Pick)
Sergio Burruel - 0/3
Elliot Soto - 2/4 (AZL - 15th Round Draft Pick)
Ryan Cuneo - 1/3 BB (AZL - 20th Round Draft Pick)
Dustin Harrington - 0/3 (AZL - 34th Round Draft Pick)

Cubs420
06-29-2010, 01:58 AM
^ Any news when Simpson might be pitching for the AZL cubs or Boise?

btw thanks for the stats, Dollis and McNutt got off to a rough start, I have hope they will settle in..

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Any word on DJ Lemahieu? How's my estranged foster player progressing these days? Hak-Ju Lee is supposed to be the more promising of the two, right?

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 02:06 AM
Any word on DJ Lemahieu? How's my estranged foster player progressing these days? Hak-Ju Lee is supposed to be the more promising of the two, right?

Given that Lee is actually a legitimate threat to eventually make it to the major leagues without any major changes to his approach at the plate. Yes. Because right now not only is DJ not playing that well, but his GB% is super high, way too high to work in the majors, and his OPS vs RHP is under .600.

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Given that Lee is actually a legitimate threat to eventually make it to the major leagues without any major changes to his approach at the plate. Yes. Because right now not only is DJ not playing that well, but his GB% is super high, way too high to work in the majors, and his OPS vs RHP is under .600.

How long do you expect it'll take Lee to make it into some games? Another season or two? What do you make of a 2B/SS duo of him and Castro?

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 02:20 AM
How long do you expect it'll take Lee to make it into some games? Another season or two? What do you make of a 2B/SS duo of him and Castro?

Well, since what I've heard of Lee's defense is that it's absolutely astounding. Like, Omar Vizquel + Great arm astounding, he'd be the SS. Especially since his bat is more useful there. While Castro is supposed to have a better bat he should fit well at 2B if that comes to fruition. So if they were both to work out, Lee at SS with Castro at 2B.

And Lee is probably a good 2 years away, at least. Kid is still only 19. And not many guys go like Castro.

StrandedCub
06-29-2010, 02:40 AM

Like Doogolas said, mid/late 2012 at the very very earliest for Hak-Ju Lee IMO. 2013 seems about right. He would still be only 22 if he debuted in 2013. I see Lee at SS and Castro at 2B as the most likely scenario.

What a fun DP combo that will be to watch. I'd think from Day 1 that would be a top 3 if not top DP combo in the league defensively. That is, if Lee is actually as good as people say he should be defensively.

StrandedCub
06-29-2010, 02:45 AM
^ Any news when Simpson might be pitching for the AZL cubs or Boise?

btw thanks for the stats, Dollis and McNutt got off to a rough start, I have hope they will settle in..

I actually was searching for some kind of rough date for Simpson but I couldn't find it. I keep on seeing something saying like the plan for Simpson is to go to Mesa and then finish up the season in Boise.

Can't find a set date though. I'd assume it would be rather soon with all these other draft picks getting into games. I assure you that as soon as I see a date he will pitch, or see that he has pitched, I will post an update accordingly.

Rndy
06-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Any chance Gaub gets called up with Grabow on the DL?

StrandedCub
06-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Any chance Gaub gets called up with Grabow on the DL?

With Gorzo going back into the rotation I'd say it is undoubtedly Gaub or Russell. Russell has struggled a bit since going down to Iowa but I may still give him the edge over Gaub because of the familiarity factor for Lou and Hendry.

To answer the question, there is a chance.

Jilly Bohnson
06-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Don't look now but Junior Lake is having a hell of a run. Still making horrific contact but baby steps I guess.

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Gaub has been better by the month. It's time to call him up. And he's actually better vs RHB than LHB. Damn near no split for his career. But slightly more affective vs RHB.

thornga2
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't look now but Junior Lake is having a hell of a run. Still making horrific contact but baby steps I guess.

Lake is a guy with great tools. I have said before that they should convert him to pitcher. He has the strongest arm in the system, possibly the strongest in the minors. He is a superb athlete, with 5 tool potential, but he is still figuring out the game. But his walk rates are much better so far this season, so that is a good thing. His K rates are still bad, but improved from last season as well. The only reason that I hold out some hope for him is that he is only 20 years old. He would probably be in Peoria if it weren't for Hak Ju Lee. The way I see it, if they just move him up to AA next season, he has three years to figure out how to hit in AA before he will be "too old" for that league. Gotta love his tools though.

How about this team in 2013

1B- Vitters
2B- Castro
SS- Lee
3B- Lake
RF- Ha
CF- Jackson
LF- Colvin
C- Castillo

Best. Defense. Ever. At least most toolsy defense ever.

Jilly Bohnson
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Lake is a guy with great tools. I have said before that they should convert him to pitcher. He has the strongest arm in the system, possibly the strongest in the minors. He is a superb athlete, with 5 tool potential, but he is still figuring out the game. But his walk rates are much better so far this season, so that is a good thing. His K rates are still bad, but improved from last season as well. The only reason that I hold out some hope for him is that he is only 20 years old. He would probably be in Peoria if it weren't for Hak Ju Lee. The way I see it, if they just move him up to AA next season, he has three years to figure out how to hit in AA before he will be "too old" for that league. Gotta love his tools though.

How about this team in 2013

1B- Vitters
2B- Castro
SS- Lee
3B- Lake
RF- Ha
CF- Jackson
LF- Colvin
C- Castillo

Best. Defense. Ever. At least most toolsy defense ever.

Yeah, Lake might have the most pure talent in the system after Vitters and Jackson. I wouldn't convert him, at least not yet, because he's still very young and frankly in a league he shouldn't be in. He's been pushed very very hard, much moreso than anyone else down there. But he's got a good walk rate, give him time and he can start building on that. I wouldn't move him up though until he establishes himself at Daytona. He's had enough aggressive promotions I'd give him as much time as he needs at Daytona, I don't care if he's not ready to leave until early 2012.

Cubs420
06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I actually was searching for some kind of rough date for Simpson but I couldn't find it. I keep on seeing something saying like the plan for Simpson is to go to Mesa and then finish up the season in Boise.

Can't find a set date though. I'd assume it would be rather soon with all these other draft picks getting into games. I assure you that as soon as I see a date he will pitch, or see that he has pitched, I will post an update accordingly.

thanks, much appreciated.. I was kind of hoping they would start Simpson in Boise and hopefully have him finish the year in Peoria, but what do I know...

cubsbullsbears2
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM

DJ not playing that well right now? Seriously?

.425/.455/.600/1.005 with 15 RBI in his last 10 games (40 AB)

I am not saying he will make the majors but he is definitely playing well right now...he simply started the year slow

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 08:47 PM
DJ not playing that well right now? Seriously?

.425/.455/.600/1.005 with 15 RBI in his last 10 games (40 AB)

Do you read? He doesn't hit righties, like, ever. His OPS is under .600 vs RHP both for his career and on the season.

He also hits a TON of grounders. Almost all of his recent success is in his absolutely OUTRAGEOUS BABIP of .400 in June. He doesn't strike out, so when he's getting lucky so often his batting average is gonna be high. His GB% is still way too high, LD% is too low, BABIP is too high and he still can't hit righties.

When most of those things change you can bring him up to me as a legitimate prospect and a guy that's legitimately playing well.

cubsbullsbears2
06-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Do you read? He doesn't hit righties, like, ever. His OPS is under .600 vs RHP both for his career and on the season.

He also hits a TON of grounders. Almost all of his recent success is in his absolutely OUTRAGEOUS BABIP of .400 in June. He doesn't strike out, so when he's getting lucky so often his batting average is gonna be high. His GB% is still way too high, LD% is too low, BABIP is too high and he still can't hit righties.

When most of those things change you can bring him up to me as a legitimate prospect and a guy that's legitimately playing well.

Brilliant Doog. I am aware of all of the above. All I said in my post is that you cannot say he is not playing well lately because lately he is tearing it up. Good try though...

Kirel
06-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Your definition of legitimate prospect gives the Cubs about 6 total I'd say.

"prospect" means "potential major leaguer" nor "definite major leaguer." I'm not convinced that arguing "He's not good enough for thee majors!" as if it were equivalent to "He'll never be good enough for the majors!" is appropriate here. If he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be a prospect, he'd be a big leaguer.

Lamehieu is not a top 10 guy right now, but he's probably just missing. He's as legitimate right now as Archer was last season. He's not likely to put it all together, but I see no reason to claim he can't.

Cubs420
06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Brett Jackson with another 2 hits tonight...

Solid Snake
06-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Brett Jackson with another 2 hits tonight...

Yes. Started a tying rally in the 9th. Which Vitters killed by grounding into a double play to end the 9th. :mad:

RedHeadsRule
06-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Jesus. Shark's line tonight:

1 IP, 3 H, 7 ER, 4 BB, 2 K's, 2 HR's

Captain Obvious
06-30-2010, 12:09 AM

That's more like the Shark I know.

Doogolas
06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Your definition of legitimate prospect gives the Cubs about 6 total I'd say.

"prospect" means "potential major leaguer" nor "definite major leaguer." I'm not convinced that arguing "He's not good enough for thee majors!" as if it were equivalent to "He'll never be good enough for the majors!" is appropriate here. If he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be a prospect, he'd be a big leaguer.

Lamehieu is not a top 10 guy right now, but he's probably just missing. He's as legitimate right now as Archer was last season. He's not likely to put it all together, but I see no reason to claim he can't.

Right now, I don't think Lamehieu is a potential major leaguer. So no, I don't consider him much of a prospect. He doesn't just have flaws. He has awful gaping ones. He's never going to be in the majors unless he makes major, major, major changes.

As to "The Cubs only have about 6" no, but the Cubs DO only have about 6 or so real position player prospects. Lot's and lot's of pitchers. But very very little in terms of hitters.

Cubs420
06-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Ouch...

CubbieSteve
06-30-2010, 01:03 AM

Hopefully he can still run those routes as sharp as he used to...

BDawk4Prez
06-30-2010, 08:33 AM

Call him up quick Lou!!

Kirel
06-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Right now, I don't think Lamehieu is a potential major leaguer. So no, I don't consider him much of a prospect. He doesn't just have flaws. He has awful gaping ones. He's never going to be in the majors unless he makes major, major, major changes.

As to "The Cubs only have about 6" no, but the Cubs DO only have about 6 or so real position player prospects. Lot's and lot's of pitchers. But very very little in terms of hitters.

I meant 6 total prospects, Cashner and Castro included.

Most of the Cubs players have flaws, but it's not about flaws. It's talent and potential for that talent to shine though. LaMehieu has flaws, yes, but he might figure them out. The same thing can be said for Lake, Alacantara, Springfield, Watkins, Gibbs, Castillo, Ha, Flahrety, Vitters, Spencer, Vismeldy, and Batistia. All of them are prospects, all of them have noticeable flaws. It'd be irresponsible to believe none of them will ever correct one. I get that you don't like LaMehieu's GB rate, but you've got to stop latching on to one thing to the exclusion of everything else. Statistics just don't mean that much with prospects.

behindmydesk
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I thought I heard on the radio (i'll admit i haven't been following him) shark was doing alot better in the minors prior to this last start though.

Mell413
06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I thought I heard on the radio (i'll admit i haven't been following him) shark was doing alot better in the minors prior to this last start though.

He was. Walking people was still an issue for him though.

behindmydesk
06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
He was. Walking people was still an issue for him though.

Yea that's what I thought.

Thank.

Doogolas
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
I meant 6 total prospects, Cashner and Castro included.

Most of the Cubs players have flaws, but it's not about flaws. It's talent and potential for that talent to shine though. LaMehieu has flaws, yes, but he might figure them out. The same thing can be said for Lake, Alacantara, Springfield, Watkins, Gibbs, Castillo, Ha, Flahrety, Vitters, Spencer, Vismeldy, and Batistia. All of them are prospects, all of them have noticeable flaws. It'd be irresponsible to believe none of them will ever correct one. I get that you don't like LaMehieu's GB rate, but you've got to stop latching on to one thing to the exclusion of everything else. Statistics just don't mean that much with prospects.

But that's not true at all. By my definition we have plenty. He's just not one of them. It's just my opinion but I don't think much of him. And it's not only his groundball rate. It's the fact that his defense is sketchy, he doesn't hit many line drives, hits quite a few pop ups, hits TONS of grounders and then the biggest one: He can't hit RHP. Like, at all. For his career he's been absolutely worthless vs righties. I don't see him as a guy who is going to make the majors ever as it stands right now. He's just got way too many issues.

I just really, really, really, really am not a fan of Lamehieu. Anybody can feel free to be if they want. But I don't see him as any more than minor league filler.

Cubs420
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
not really close

Steve Kerr
06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Yea that's what I thought.

Thank.

I am not sure if this was mentioned or not but the Iowa game yesterday was played in a torrential down pour. Thomas Diamond also struggled with his control yesterday as I imagine the ball was difficult to hold on to.

Kirel
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
But that's not true at all. By my definition we have plenty. He's just not one of them. It's just my opinion but I don't think much of him. And it's not only his groundball rate. It's the fact that his defense is sketchy, he doesn't hit many line drives, hits quite a few pop ups, hits TONS of grounders and then the biggest one: He can't hit RHP. Like, at all. For his career he's been absolutely worthless vs righties. I don't see him as a guy who is going to make the majors ever as it stands right now. He's just got way too many issues.

I just really, really, really, really am not a fan of Lamehieu. Anybody can feel free to be if they want. But I don't see him as any more than minor league filler.
His career is what, a year old right now?

You are entitled to your own opinoin, certainly, but I don't think you are applying things evenly.

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Tennessee with an early game today, Jackson already has two more hits and a walk, Vitters has a double.

1908_Cubs
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Tennessee with an early game today, Jackson already has two more hits and a walk, Vitters has a double.

I believe the only question left to ask now is "Brett Jackson: God, Jesus, or Both?"

I personally assume both. Plus a little Harrison Ford.

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I believe the only question left to ask now is "Brett Jackson: God, Jesus, or Both?"

Hollywood Homicide Harrison Ford?

1908_Cubs
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Hollywood Homicide Harrison Ford?

No. Why....why in god's name....would....might as well brought up 6 Days, 7 Nights.

First three Indie Jones+Han Solo+ The Fugitive Harrison Ford awesome.

Kirel
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM

And yet somehow, he's still not as good as Mike Trout.

Go figure.

1908_Cubs
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Go figure.

Brett Jackson is just biding his time before he smites Mike Trout off the face of the Earth using his laser vision eyesight and karate chop action.

Cubs420
06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
wow

Jackson 3-3, 2 doubles, 3 RBI's and a walk...he has started out right where he left off.

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 03:13 PM
No. Why....why in god's name....would....might as well brought up 6 Days, 7 Nights.

First three Indie Jones+Han Solo+ The Fugitive Harrison Ford awesome.

I prefer Air Force One Harrison Ford. "If you give a mouse a cookie..."

Go figure.

Yeah, how did everyone miss that bad on Trout? I mean damn he's gone nuts.

1908_Cubs
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM

I forgot Airforce One Harrison.

Either way, I think we can all agree, Harrison Ford is the ****.

Kirel
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Just goes to show how inexact scouting is.

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I forgot Airforce One Harrison.

Either way, I think we can all agree, Harrison Ford is the ****.

Definitely

Cubs420
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Go figure.

woahh

367. AVG 449. OBP 38 stolen bases... WTF

Solid Snake
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Why does Mike Trout matter when he was picked before Brett Jackson?

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I took it in a "You think Jackson's doing good? Go check out Mike Trout." sort of way.

Solid Snake
06-30-2010, 03:46 PM
I took it in a "You think Jackson's doing good? Go check out Mike Trout." sort of way.

Ohhh okay. Yea I just saw his stats. Pretty damn impressive.

Solid Snake
06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I just looked up Trout's numbers on minor league splits, and his luck-adjusted OPS is down from .997 to .826. Still, he's only 18, and seems to be a speedy guy which could lead to mis-adjusting his BABIP.

Doogolas
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Also Mike Trout is still in regular A Ball. Before today on the entire year B-Jax had a .938OPS. After today it's up to: .963 with a wOBA of about .432

Baller.

Looking at my post. This has next to nothing do with Trout. And everything to do with the fact that Jackson is just a badass. Also I'm legitimately curious. Has Jackson had ten straight games with 2+ hits?

Kirel
06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Also Mike Trout is still in regular A Ball. Before today on the entire year B-Jax had a .938OPS. After today it's up to: .963 with a wOBA of about .432

Baller.

Looking at my post. This has next to nothing do with Trout. And everything to do with the fact that Jackson is just a badass. Also I'm legitimately curious. Has Jackson had ten straight games with 2+ hits?
While Trout is only in A, he's hitting like Jackson did in college, just doing it in A ball.

Mike Trout, right now, has a good shot at being a top 3 prospect in BA's rankings at the end of the year.

Jilly Bohnson
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
While Trout is only in A, he's hitting like Jackson did in college, just doing it in A ball.

Mike Trout, right now, has a good shot at being a top 3 prospect in BA's rankings at the end of the year.

Yeah, I think the three years Trout has on Jackson more than outweighs that Jackson did it a level higher. Jackson if he keeps this up is a top 15-20 guy, Trout's a top 5.

The Stick
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
If and this is a big if Jackson keeps going crazy do the Cubs call him up for a possible 150 AB's this year? Please sell high on Byrd because Mr. Jackson is going to be ready to go next season IMO.

Kirel
06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
If and this is a big if Jackson keeps going crazy do the Cubs call him up for a possible 150 AB's this year? Please sell high on Byrd because Mr. Jackson is going to be ready to go next season IMO.
I doubt he gets 150 ABs this year. They've already got issues finding space for Colvin.

At best I'd figure he'd get a cup of coffee in september...but that's not that likely. He's not in AAA and he's not on the 40 man, I don't think they'll start his roster clock just on a lark.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, Trout has a BABIP well over .400 right now. There's no way that's even vaguely sustainable. I mean he may be higher up than B Jax at year's end. But I'm betting Trout comes down a whoooole lot by the time the year is up.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Well, Trout has a BABIP well over .400 right now. There's no way that's even vaguely sustainable. I mean he may be higher up than B Jax at year's end. But I'm betting Trout comes down a whoooole lot by the time the year is up.
He's maintained an over .400 BABIP for over 500 PAs over two seasons now.

You really shouldn't call .400 unsustainable at the A ball level though. The Mid-West league has atleast 25 guys with a BABIP over .345 in 215 or more PAs. The NL has 16, many of whihc are the best hitters in the game. Defenses, umpiring, field conditions and pitching are all considerably weaker in the low minors than the big leagues, expecting similar BABIP rules is a mistake. You should expect high BABIP's for good hitters in the low minors.

Also, for what it's worth, Jacksons BABIP in A ball was .397 and so far in AA it's .444. While his LD% numbers are better than Trouts, Trout's K-Rate balances that pretty evenly. Regress Trouts BABIP and he's still probably hitting for the same average Jackson needs a .397 BABIP to support.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Short of going all Bonds on the Southern League for another two months I wouldn't even think about getting him up. He can use the time at AA, and also we need to get Colvin at bats to see what we've got there.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 01:53 AM
He's maintained an over .400 BABIP for over 500 PAs over two seasons now.

You really shouldn't call .400 unsustainable at the A ball level though. The Mid-West league has atleast 25 guys with a BABIP over .345 in 215 or more PAs. The NL has 16, many of whihc are the best hitters in the game. Defenses, umpiring, field conditions and pitching are all considerably weaker in the low minors than the big leagues, expecting similar BABIP rules is a mistake. You should expect high BABIP's for good hitters in the low minors.

Also, for what it's worth, Jacksons BABIP in A ball was .397 and so far in AA it's .444. While his LD% numbers are better than Trouts, Trout's K-Rate balances that pretty evenly. Regress Trouts BABIP and he's still probably hitting for the same average Jackson needs a .397 BABIP to support.

I meant later on it's not going to be. If you adjust them both for luck they're at:

.826 for Trout and .913 on the year for B-Jax. I dunno how accurate that thing is. I'm just putting what it says. And I think the strike outs might make up for some of the LD% but it doesn't make up for both that and the number of pop ups Trout hits, about 8% more than Jackson does. And Jackson hits more grounders as well, which go for a higher BABIP than fly balls. I dunno, I'm not saying Trout isn't really ****ing good. But based on just this year I wouldn't put him way higher than Jackson. Granted, GB/LD/FB/IF can be extremely deceiving. I just wouldn't say they're separated by too much.

Then again, I am not so sure how prospect ratings work. But I would assume there is a rather large drop off in value from top 5 specs to 11 to 15. But I don't know much about that.

Then again, I am not so sure how prospect ratings work. But I would assume there is a rather large drop off in value from top 5 specs to 11 to 15. But I don't know much about that.

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Micah Gibbs played for the AZL cubs last night and went 0-4. Not a great debut.
But 2 other picks have done good. Eliot soto and look at Ryan Cuneo. Cuneo seems to have decent power.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I meant later on it's not going to be. If you adjust them both for luck they're at:

.826 for Trout and .913 on the year for B-Jax. I dunno how accurate that thing is. I'm just putting what it says. And I think the strike outs might make up for some of the LD% but it doesn't make up for both that and the number of pop ups Trout hits, about 8% more than Jackson does. And Jackson hits more grounders as well, which go for a higher BABIP than fly balls. I dunno, I'm not saying Trout isn't really ****ing good. But based on just this year I wouldn't put him way higher than Jackson. Granted, GB/LD/FB/IF can be extremely deceiving. I just wouldn't say they're separated by too much.

Trout is 18, Jackson 21. At 18 Jackson was hitting .230/.382/.279 as a bench bat in the NCAA. Prospect evaluators are going to look at him and wonder where he'll be in 3 years, and if his performance his first two pro years holds true, he's going to be much farther than Jackson at age 21.

Do you remember how excited people were for Stalin Castro just holding his own in A ball at 18? At the moment I'm guessing Trout is holding his own at AA by the end of the year.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Trout is 18, Jackson 21. At 18 Jackson was hitting .230/.382/.279 as a bench bat in the NCAA. Prospect evaluators are going to look at him and wonder where he'll be in 3 years, and if his performance his first two pro years holds true, he's going to be much farther than Jackson at age 21.

Do you remember how excited people were for Stalin Castro just holding his own in A ball at 18? At the moment I'm guessing Trout is holding his own at AA by the end of the year.

Just wait til Trout gets promoted to A+ ball. Him in Rancho Cucamonga? Dear lord.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
A more sober view of Brett Jackson courtesy of Keith Law.

Billy (Champaign)

Hey Keith, I was wondering what your thoughts are on Brett Jackson. You sounded disappointed that he was on the futures game roster, and then didn't have him in your top 25, or even an honorable mention yesterday. Are you down on him, or just not nearly as high on him as a lot of others?
Klaw (2:07 PM)

Never been very high on him. Don't see a plus tool, and I believe he's going to strike out too often to be an impact hitter through batting average.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
He's got a point.

Right now we can't expect Jackson to hit more than maybe .260. He's got a BABIP near .400 in the mionrs and he's not even hitting .320. We're definatly still talking more like .260/.360/.440 than the .300/.400/.500 people are dreaming of.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
He's got a point.

Right now we can't expect Jackson to hit more than maybe .260. He's got a BABIP near .400 in the mionrs and he's not even hitting .320. We're definatly still talking more like .260/.360/.440 than the .300/.400/.500 people are dreaming of.

Jackson's K rate is only at 20% right now. Why can't we expect higher than .260? 330PA with 65K's this year. That's 19.69%. TONS of guys hit for a good average with that type of K rate.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
He's got a point.

He's cut down on his K rate thus far. He's only slightly over 20% now. And I think with his speed and 20-25 homer power he's much more than a .260 hitter. I mean yeah that line's more likely, but I think that's if the contact issues creep up again and/or the power doesn't show up like we hoped.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
He's cut down on his K rate thus far. He's only slightly over 20% now. And I think with his speed and 20-25 homer power he's much more than a .260 hitter. I mean yeah that line's more likely, but I think that's if the contact issues creep up again and/or the power doesn't show up like we hoped.

He's actually under 20% right now. 65K's in 330PA's.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
67 in 333

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
67 in 333

Heh Minorleaguesplits.com lying to me?

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Apparently, because I doubt BR is wrong

Mell413
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Jackson has struck out 67 times. I'm going to the Peoria game against Kane County tonight.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Matt Szcur signed.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Matt Szcur signed.

Wasn't he supposed to be one of the tougher signs? I don't remember but I thought somebody mentioned that he probably wasn't going to sign.

That or he's that one ridiculously fast guy we drafted.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Fast football player from Villanova

Kirel
07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
He's cut down on it sure, but it's still 20% in A ball. Most likely better pitchers with better control and better umpires are going to strike him out more and walk him a bit less than A ball pitchers are.

At the moment I expect something akin to 22-24% K rate and 11-12% walk rate instead of the 20% K and 14% BB we're seeing.

I certainly have my fingers crossed that he can hit .280, with his eye and moderate power he *COULD* take a shot at .280/.400/.480 or so, but I'm not expecting it, there isn't reason to expect that much right now.

Jilly Bohnson
07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
He's cut down on it sure, but it's still 20% in A ball. Most likely better pitchers with better control and better umpires are going to strike him out more and walk him a bit less than A ball pitchers are.

At the moment I expect something akin to 22-24% K rate and 11-12% walk rate instead of the 20% K and 14% BB we're seeing.

I certainly have my fingers crossed that he can hit .280, with his eye and moderate power he *COULD* take a shot at .280/.400/.480 or so, but I'm not expecting it, there isn't reason to expect that much right now.

Yeah after doing some math it looks like .270-.280's probably what we're looking at. Even at 20% K, 14% BB, and 25 homers, all pretty generous, he still needs a .320 BABIP just to get to .280. .300's probably a pipe dream unless he has way more power than we think or he cuts down well no his K's and/or BB's.

thornga2
07-01-2010, 06:20 PM

I think saying that better umpires means more strikeouts is a bit of a stretch. It's just as possible that it could lead to him being called out on strikes a smaller percentage of the time. More likely, it will make very little difference at all over the long term.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I think saying that better umpires means more strikeouts is a bit of a stretch. It's just as possible that it could lead to him being called out on strikes a smaller percentage of the time. More likely, it will make very little difference at all over the long term.
Maybe, maybe not. Still, big league umpires are right quite often and big league pitchers are going to be much better at playing the umpire to their advantage than their mionr league kin will tend to be. He's simply going to see more guys that nibble the zone and fewer guys who are way out or way in. Thats the nature of moving up levels.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah after doing some math it looks like .270-.280's probably what we're looking at. Even at 20% K, 14% BB, and 25 homers, all pretty generous, he still needs a .320 BABIP just to get to .280. .300's probably a pipe dream unless he has way more power than we think or he cuts down well no his K's and/or BB's.

How do you figure the .320BABIP? I honestly have no idea how that works. And guys with a 20% K-rate hit .300 plenty, at least the ones that are actually good hitters.

Not that I'd expect him to hit .300 or anything. But there's nothing wrong with even like .275/.370/.460 from a CF. That's pretty awesome. Especially if he has plus defense.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
It's not too hard, assuming my math brain is working today. I make no guarnetees on correctness here.

Given,
Avg = H/AB
BABIP = (H - HR)/BallsInPlay
K = KRate*PA
BB = BBRate*PA
HR = HRRate*PA
BallsInPlay = PA - K - BB - HR

We can derive
H = (BABIP*BallsInPlay) + HR

Thus,
Avg = (BABIP*(BallsInPlay) + HR)/AB

So given a known number of PAs, say 600 and the number of homers, BB, and K rate we should be able to figure out hte numbers to put in.
KRate = .20
BBRate=.14
HRRate = .045

K = KRate*600 = 120
BB = BBRate*600 = 84
HR = HRRate*600 = 27

AB = 600 - BB = 526

Thus,
BallsInPlay = 600-120-84-27 = 369.

Plug that into our known average equation with our known average(.280) and you get:
.280 = ((BABIP*369) +27)/526

Solve for BABIP. Which is .3242 in this case.

It of course doesn't include things like HBP and sac flies, but it should give you a rough estimate.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
It's not too hard, assuming my math brain is working today. I make no guarnetees on correctness here.

Given,
Avg = H/AB
BABIP = (H - HR)/BallsInPlay
K = KRate*PA
BB = BBRate*PA
HR = HRRate*PA
BallsInPlay = PA - K - BB - HR

We can derive
H = (BABIP*BallsInPlay) + HR

Thus,
Avg = (BABIP*(BallsInPlay) + HR)/AB

So given a known number of PAs, say 600 and the number of homers, BB, and K rate we should be able to figure out hte numbers to put in.
KRate = .20
BBRate=.14
HRRate = .045

K = KRate*600 = 120
BB = BBRate*600 = 84
HR = HRRate*600 = 27

AB = 600 - BB = 526

Thus,
BallsInPlay = 600-120-84-27 = 369.

Plug that into our known average equation with our known average(.280) and you get:
.280 = ((BABIP*369) +27)/526

Solve for BABIP. Which is .3242 in this case.

It of course doesn't include things like HBP and sac flies, but it should give you a rough estimate.

Hm... Well basically he'd need a .326 to hit .300 by the looks of it with those types of numbers. I mean that's damn near a CARBON copy of Zobrist last season with just a few less walks and a few less K's.

So yeah, he is probably a .280 type.

So I'm gonna go for something a bit more realistic on him. Something like:

.038HR rate = 23HR
.315BABIP
11% BB = 66BB
22% K = 132K
600PA
402*.315=127
127+23=150/534
That gives him: .281 Average

I'm gonna go ahead and try to figure out a triple slash line with a few arbitrary numbers. Let's say 35 doubles and 3 triples from those hits. So that's 112 singles 35 doubles 3 triples 23HR 66BB and 132K's for a slash line of:

.281/.360/.487 for an OPS of .847 and a wOBA of about: .372

That seem pretty reasonable?

Kirel
07-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Hm... Well basically he'd need a .326 to hit .300 by the looks of it with those types of numbers. I mean that's damn near a CARBON copy of Zobrist last season with just a few less walks and a few less K's.

So yeah, he is probably a .280 type.

So I'm gonna go for something a bit more realistic on him. Something like:

.038HR rate = 23HR
.315BABIP
11% BB = 66BB
22% K = 132K
600PA
402*.315=127
127+23=150/534
That gives him: .281 Average

I'm gonna go ahead and try to figure out a triple slash line with a few arbitrary numbers. Let's say 35 doubles and 3 triples from those hits. So that's 112 singles 35 doubles 3 triples 23HR 66BB and 132K's for a slash line of:

.281/.360/.487 for an OPS of .847 and a wOBA of about: .372

That seem pretty reasonable?
I get .355 BABIP to hit .300, which makes it unlikely, though if he can manage a 22-23 LD%...

Otherwise everything else seems reasonable to me, though if he keeps up the LD rate he's had in the minors I gotta think something like 40 doubles and 5-6 triples is within reach, that is much harder to project.

A .372 would have him as the 2nd most productive CF in the game over the last three years. Hamilton has a .383 and Granderson .365. It's also nearly exactly Grady Sizemores career mark. A Jackson that puts up those numbers and can field CF well is an elite player. 5-6 wins probably.

northsider
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Man you guys are good at math its like I am reading japanese right now but, I like it.

Doogolas
07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I get .355 BABIP to hit .300, which makes it unlikely, though if he can manage a 22-23 LD%...

Otherwise everything else seems reasonable to me, though if he keeps up the LD rate he's had in the minors I gotta think something like 40 doubles and 5-6 triples is within reach, that is much harder to project.

A .372 would have him as the 2nd most productive CF in the game over the last three years. Hamilton has a .383 and Granderson .365. It's also nearly exactly Grady Sizemores career mark. A Jackson that puts up those numbers and can field CF well is an elite player. 5-6 wins probably.

Mathematically the .355 makes sense. But look at Zobrist's numbers. Almost identical to those you posted, he even had 599PA last year. And he hit like .299 I think with a .327BABIP. Or as you mentioned a crazy LD%.

However, yeah, my guess is that a .373wOBA wouldn't be unreasonable from him given some fairly realistic numbers. But you are probably right on him being a .280 hitter sans some lucky years.

As Kirel and I discussed briefly this is more a reasonable ceiling than anything else. Something like Jackson's 80th percentile in talent. I mean, there is always the ridiculous scenario that everything works perfectly and he walks 15% of the time K's 19% of the time has a .330BABIP 25%LD 5%HR etc etc that will just never ever happen. But for a fairly reasonable ceiling, that's more what the numbers being thrown around are for here. Just to clarify for anyone that wants to jump in.

Chicago657
07-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Best thread on PSD

CubbieSteve
07-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Best thread on PSD

Wrong, that happened last night.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502046

StrandedCub
07-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Updated Top 25 Prospects - Frank Piliere (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/01/revised-top-25-prospects-of-2010/)

23. Hak-Ju Lee

The Skinny: This is another wild-card pick on my part. Lee has the talent to play big-league shortstop defensively right now, and his speed stacks up against anyone in professional baseball. He's still a little crude at the plate, but he has star potential.

Mell413
07-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I was at the Peoria game last night. Lee didn't do much at the plate. He went 0-4. Ha looked good at the plate. He did get thrown out twice though. Although I thought he was safe on the first attempt. Justin Bour hit a long homerun. Max Stassi looked good for Kane County. He threw Ha out twice and he hit a HR

IRNMN
07-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I was at the Peoria game last night. Lee didn't do much at the plate. He went 0-4. Ha looked good at the plate. He did get thrown out twice though. Although I thought he was safe on the first attempt. Justin Bour hit a long homerun. Max Stassi looked good for Kane County. He threw Ha out twice and he hit a HR

Yeah, Lee has a few things to work on with his bat before he can come to the bigs. Also on that call he very well might have been, but they only have two umps in the minors and he has to cover everything not at home plate.

On a side note. Justin Bour seem like Jake Fox. Hopfully he can progress and the Cubs can sell him high like they did with Fox. I don't think Bour has what it takes at this point to be a big league 1B.

hrubes20
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Cubs started off the July 2 international amateur FA signings this year, by picking up a 16 year old Dominican SS named Daniel Sanchez. According to BA, he has above-average raw power, average speed and a solid-average arm. Supposedly it is for a mid-six figure bonus.

http://http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9297

1908_Cubs
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Per rotoworld:

2010 first-round pick Hayden Simpson has yet to report to Arizona because of a viral infection.
Simpson was signed on June 17 and was expected to be assigned to a minor league team this month, but he's going to have to get healthy before that happens.

Doogolas
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Per rotoworld:

2010 first-round pick Hayden Simpson has yet to report to Arizona because of a viral infection.
Simpson was signed on June 17 and was expected to be assigned to a minor league team this month, but he's going to have to get healthy before that happens.

Bust.

Matchstckman
07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Cubs started off the July 2 international amateur FA signings this year, by picking up a 16 year old Dominican SS named Daniel Sanchez. According to BA, he has above-average raw power, average speed and a solid-average arm. Supposedly it is for a mid-six figure bonus.

http://http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9297

Sounds like A-Rod to me!

Jilly Bohnson
07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Brett Jackson was an alternate on BA's Midseason All Star team behind..wait for it....Mike Trout.

Cubs420
07-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Updated Top 25 Prospects - Frank Piliere (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/01/revised-top-25-prospects-of-2010/)

holy balls, the Yankees have 3 catching prospects in the top 25 ? Would be nice if they could spare one...

Nice to see Lee on the list, must have alot of potential or something because his at-bat numbers don't wow me yet...

Jilly Bohnson
07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
That's more of a product of Yankees prospects constantly being overrated than actual merit. Sanchez being on any top prospect list is ridiculous, and Romine being in any non-Yankee exclusive top 25 is nearly as bad.

Marlin Bystro
07-02-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't know how Keith Law can say Brett Jackson doesn't have a plus tool. It really isn't debatable that BJack is a plus runnner, plus arm strength/accuracy and plus fielding. His hit tool and power tool both look like they can be above average. There is a reason people are saying Brett Jackson was the top prospect in the FSL.

Either Keith Law is biased here or he doesn't know how to scout. I think there is some bias here considering he hated the pick for us a year ago.

vittersfan
07-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Vitters out of the lineup again tonight. Seems like every time he makes an error the next game he gets benched.

Solid Snake
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't know how Keith Law can say Brett Jackson doesn't have a plus tool. It really isn't debatable that BJack is a plus runnner, plus arm strength/accuracy and plus fielding. His hit tool and power tool both look like they can be above average. There is a reason people are saying Brett Jackson was the top prospect in the FSL.

Either Keith Law is biased here or he doesn't know how to scout. I think there is some bias here considering he hated the pick for us a year ago.

Agreed. Might be a case of the anti-JB on Jackson, where Keith Law simply can't admit or get over being wrong about him.

At least BA admitted they were wrong about Colvin.

Solid Snake
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Vitters out of the lineup again tonight. Seems like every time he makes an error the next game he gets benched.

Sucks for you lol. Jk.

Doogolas
07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I really hate our ****ing AA Manager. Vitters needs to be playing every day period.

vittersfan
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I really hate our ****ing AA Manager. Vitters needs to be playing every day period.

That is my thought with any prospect. also Archer had a nice first start in AA. 5 2/3 innings 0ER 2BB 6k

Cubs420
07-03-2010, 01:27 AM

no kidding, hes 20 years old playing in AA.. the more at-bats he can get the better...

what the hell is Sandberg doing?

there has to be more to the story... Is Vitters an a-hole or something?

also
nice to see Archer getting off to a good start in AA...

vittersfan
07-03-2010, 02:25 AM
no kidding, hes 20 years old playing in AA.. the more at-bats he can get the better...

what the hell is Sandberg doing?

there has to be more to the story... Is Vitters an a-hole or something?

also
nice to see Archer getting off to a good start in AA...

Sandberg is the AAA manager. I think i read somewhere in this thread that Vitters seems uninterested at times.

StrandedCub
07-03-2010, 02:41 AM
holy balls, the Yankees have 3 catching prospects in the top 25 ? Would be nice if they could spare one...

Nice to see Lee on the list, must have alot of potential or something because his at-bat numbers don't wow me yet...

Piliere is really really high on Hak-Ju Lee ever since he saw him play earlier this year. He is probably much higher than just about anybody on him.

Jilly Bohnson
07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Agreed. Might be a case of the anti-JB on Jackson, where Keith Law simply can't admit or get over being wrong about him.

At least BA admitted they were wrong about Colvin.

Keith Law if he's seen someone and didn't like them they pretty much have to overwhelm him to change his mind.

dyceman
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
JB, with Starlin keeping the SS position for a while, is Darwin Barney seeing any action at 2nd or 3rd?

Jilly Bohnson
07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
He's played a couple games at 2b but that's about it.

vittersfan
07-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Dolis with a nice start tonight - 6.0IP 0ER 1BB 4K

StrandedCub
07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Brett Jackson went 1/3 2B, BB, SB today. I'll take it.

northsider
07-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I love that the transition for BJack so far has been easy and he is carrying over what he did in Daytona.

Cubs420
07-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Brett Jackson went 1/3 2B, BB, SB today. I'll take it.

He also had an RBI... But I agree I'll take it as well... If Jackson can slow down his K rate I will start getting really excited about him.

Cubs420
07-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Jilly,

what do you think of Austin Bibens-Dirkx ?

Mell413
07-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Anyone have any idea if Brett Jackson is injured? I noticed he only got 1 AB tonight.

Ken McNutt with a solid outing tonight. 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1BB, 6 K's. It looks like Junior Lake is starting to get it. He went 3-4 with a double

vittersfan
07-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Anyone have any idea if Brett Jackson is injured? I noticed he only got 1 AB tonight.

Ken McNutt with a solid outing tonight. 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1BB, 6 K's. It looks like Junior Lake is starting to get it. He went 3-4 with a double

He was used as a pinch hitter tonight. My guess is there were planning on giving him the night off.

thornga2
07-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Very excited to see Lake have at least some extended success. 3-4 with 2 2B and a SB.

McNutt, Dolis, and Archer have all done well with their promotions. Gotta be excited about those three.

Still feeling very good about Vitters. His walk rate is still awful, but his K rate is good. It's easy to get down on a prospect, but Vitters really could be in Peoria right now without being considered too old and he destroyed that league at the beginning of last season. At his age, just not being lost in AA is just fine, especially for a power hitter.

vittersfan
07-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Very excited to see Lake have at least some extended success. 3-4 with 2 2B and a SB.

McNutt, Dolis, and Archer have all done well with their promotions. Gotta be excited about those three.

Still feeling very good about Vitters. His walk rate is still awful, but his K rate is good. It's easy to get down on a prospect, but Vitters really could be in Peoria right now without being considered too old and he destroyed that league at the beginning of last season. At his age, just not being lost in AA is just fine, especially for a power hitter.

And he has shown some improvement with the walks.

Jilly Bohnson
07-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Jilly,

what do you think of Austin Bibens-Dirkx ?

My understanding is he's just a finesse guy, probably doesn't have much of a future.

Yeah, Lake's been hot lately. Still K'ing way too much, ubt he's making tons of progress.

And I feel good about Vitters too. He's raised his walk rate from horrendous to merely bad. Hopefully next year he can get it up to average, and then keep improving from there.

Jilly Bohnson
07-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Nope

gocubs38
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Cubs sign 5th round draft pick Matt Szczur (outfielder).

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070110aaa.html

Interesting contract.

gocubs38
07-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Cubs expected to sign 9th round draft pick Kevin Rhoderick (pitcher).

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=127811070400404500

Cubs420
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Interesting contract.

Thanks for the news, kid sounds like he has some promise.. only 9 strike-outs in 191 at-bats...looks like he has some speed and a little pop as well.

BTW Brett Jackson went 2-4 today and since joining the smokies he has seemed to cut down on his k-rate a little bit...

Jilly Bohnson
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the news, kid sounds like he has some promise.. only 9 strike-outs in 191 at-bats...looks like he has some speed and a little pop as well.

BTW Brett Jackson went 2-4 today and since joining the smokies he has seemed to cut down on his k-rate a little bit...

Yeah it went down towards the end of his time in Daytona too. Hopefully he made some adjustment and that's why he got all hot and was promoted.

cowboydoc45
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Interesting contract.

Are we sure this kid won't also be taking off his jersey mid game to reveal that he is actually from the planet krypton, and that the yellow sun...

He seems like a real class act, and I am very interested in his college numbers. Lets just hope the organization doesn't **** him up as much as they have most of their other players...

Doogolas
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Well since his promotion Jackson is hitting:

.351/.467/.595

37AB 3 2B 2HR 6BB 7K

10 Games. So he's been nothing short of excellent. And he hasn't struck out in... I think 5 straight games now.

hrubes20
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Well since his promotion Jackson is hitting:

.351/.467/.595

37AB 3 2B 2HR 6BB 7K

10 Games. So he's been nothing short of excellent. And he hasn't struck out in... I think 5 straight games now.

He also notched his 4th SB since the promotion, in as many tries. Although it has only been 4 games since he K'd. It's safe to say that he should easily be our #1 prospect when the rankings come out.

Jilly Bohnson
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Definitely, and he's probably a top 25 guy to boot.

Solid Snake
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Most likely due to small sample size, but right now Brett Jackson has 7 hits in 13 AB's versus lefties and 6 hits in 24 AB's versus righties. I would look for that to regress, which means some big games against RHPs are forthcoming.

Doogolas
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Most likely due to small sample size, but right now Brett Jackson has 7 hits in 13 AB's versus lefties and 6 hits in 24 AB's versus righties. I would look for that to regress, which means some big games against RHPs are forthcoming.

Actually don't look for the LHP to regress TOO much. Obviously he's not gonna hit .500 against them. But even in A ball he raked against LHP. If his early minor league career is any indication he'll have absolutely no platoon split:

2009:
0.304 /0.361/0.464/0.825

2010 Daytona:
0.364/0.427/0.636/1.063

Minor League Career:
0.343/0.405/0.578/0.983

vittersfan
07-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Can anyone give me a scouting report on Chris Rusin? He has good numbers and seems to have really good control.

Kirel
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
From memory Rusin is a control lefty. He knows how to pitch, has pitched on the big college stage as a front end pitcher, but doesn't have much in the way of stuff. I've heard reports of a good curve, but his fastball is probably just average for a lefty, maybe a tick above. Sits below 90 last I heard.

Probably no more than a 5 starter or long reliever, but with as good a shot at being useful in the majors as anyone in the system. Being left handed doesn't hurt, and he's got very good control, so he could reasonbly survive the majors because while he'll give up more hits, if things work out he could be one of the least likely to walk a batter types. Maybe a best case of a pre-Cubs, left handed version of Carlos Silva? Maybe that's setting the bar too high?

Solid Snake
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Actually don't look for the LHP to regress TOO much. Obviously he's not gonna hit .500 against them. But even in A ball he raked against LHP. If his early minor league career is any indication he'll have absolutely no platoon split:

2009:
0.304 /0.361/0.464/0.825

2010 Daytona:
0.364/0.427/0.636/1.063

Minor League Career:
0.343/0.405/0.578/0.983

Yea, his splits vs LHP's are incredibly impressive. Wow, his OPS vs lefties is higher than his OPS vs righties for his minor league career.

Strange. I thought his OPS was higher vs righties, just by default I guess.

Definitely the trend to notice is that he walks way more vs righties and slugs way more vs lefties.

Btw, my original point was that his OPS vs righties is only .735 so far at double A. I'd expect this number to increase dramatically in the coming weeks. Minor league splits seems to think so too, as his luck-adjusted OPS vs righties so far is actually .963.

vittersfan
07-06-2010, 10:07 PM
From memory Rusin is a control lefty. He knows how to pitch, has pitched on the big college stage as a front end pitcher, but doesn't have much in the way of stuff. I've heard reports of a good curve, but his fastball is probably just average for a lefty, maybe a tick above. Sits below 90 last I heard.

Probably no more than a 5 starter or long reliever, but with as good a shot at being useful in the majors as anyone in the system. Being left handed doesn't hurt, and he's got very good control, so he could reasonbly survive the majors because while he'll give up more hits, if things work out he could be one of the least likely to walk a batter types. Maybe a best case of a pre-Cubs, left handed version of Carlos Silva? Maybe that's setting the bar too high?

Thanks for the quick response and the in-depth scouting report.

Cubs420
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Im just not that excited about Vitters yet.. I understand hes only 20 but his minor league numbers have never really impressed me.. He doesn't have as much power as I thought and his OBP is usually nothing to be excited about, and of course we all know his defense isn't anything special.. I know its way to early to give up on the kid, but I really don't have a good feeling with him.

ReJo
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
So has Robinson Chirinos gone from career minor leaguer to legitimate prospect?
He's been hitting well since last year and he can play pretty much every position on the field including catcher. Possible super sub material?

Kirel
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
So has Robinson Chirinos gone from career minor leaguer to legitimate prospect?
He's been hitting well since last year and he can play pretty much every position on the field including catcher. Possible super sub material?
Well, he's always been a legitimate prospect, it's just a mattero f what your definitino of legitimate is. He's probably sat int he 30ish range his entire career, which isnt' that bad. But other than that he's the type of guy Hendry may put on the 40 man or promote for a while just as a reward, I don't think he's a real good bet for a long major league career.

He's 26 and still playing in AA. Sure he's hitting well, but it's his fourth time in the league and he still hasn't reached AAA. I've heard that the Cubs are training him to be a coach and it doesn't seem like that has changed much.

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, he's always been a legitimate prospect, it's just a mattero f what your definitino of legitimate is. He's probably sat int he 30ish range his entire career, which isnt' that bad. But other than that he's the type of guy Hendry may put on the 40 man or promote for a while just as a reward, I don't think he's a real good bet for a long major league career.

He's 26 and still playing in AA. Sure he's hitting well, but it's his fourth time in the league and he still hasn't reached AAA. I've heard that the Cubs are training him to be a coach and it doesn't seem like that has changed much.

Yeah I think I read that he was some sort of player-coach at some point. He might be a backup catcher but he's nothing to get too excited over.

Kirel
07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah I think I read that he was some sort of player-coach at some point. He might be a backup catcher but he's nothing to get too excited over.
no, he's not. ALthough if the team sells off I'd love to see them call him up for a while. He may suck, but he's put in enough time and seems like an organizational man. May as well see what he can do and give him a few months of big league pay.

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Im just not that excited about Vitters yet.. I understand hes only 20 but his minor league numbers have never really impressed me.. He doesn't have as much power as I thought and his OBP is usually nothing to be excited about, and of course we all know his defense isn't anything special.. I know its way to early to give up on the kid, but I really don't have a good feeling with him.

Age relative to league is a huge deal. Generally, prospects in Low A ball are 20 or 21, guys in A+ are 21-22, guys in AA 22-23, and AA 23-24. Josh destroyed low A last year as a 19 year old. .316/.351/535 with 16 homers in under 300 at bats. Which of course is about a 30 homer pace for a guy young for his league, which also happened to be a pitchers league. And while since then he hasn't put up eye-popping numbers, his time in Daytona can kinda-sorta be explained away by a wrist injury, and his numbers this year are bad but his age means it's not damning. He could be at AA for two more years and still be age appropriate.

He's been promoted very aggressively, if he stayed in Peoria all year last year, was in Daytona all year this year, and then didn't hit Tenn until next year, likely he would have put up those eye popping numbers.

Ron!n
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Age relative to league is a huge deal. Generally, prospects in Low A ball are 20 or 21, guys in A+ are 21-22, guys in AA 22-23, and AA 23-24. Josh destroyed low A last year as a 19 year old. .316/.351/535 with 16 homers in under 300 at bats. Which of course is about a 30 homer pace for a guy young for his league, which also happened to be a pitchers league. And while since then he hasn't put up eye-popping numbers, his time in Daytona can kinda-sorta be explained away by a wrist injury, and his numbers this year are bad but his age means it's not damning. He could be at AA for two more years and still be age appropriate.

He's been promoted very aggressively, if he stayed in Peoria all year last year, was in Daytona all year this year, and then didn't hit Tenn until next year, likely he would have put up those eye popping numbers.
Whats your sig from?

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Whats your sig from?

Flight of the Conchords

Cubs420
07-07-2010, 01:39 PM

ah ok thanks, you talked me off the ledge a little bit there... I didn't realize he had 16 homers in Low A last year... I hope his work ethic is there because it seems like he has alot of natural talent.

Diehardcub
07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I still say Vitters should have never been promoted to AA. He was only so-so at Daytona. It seems like every time he does something for a month or so he get's promoted. He should have never been promoted before Brett Jackson. I would have liked to have seen him dominate high A ball like Jackson before we send him up. I knew he would struggle big time in AA.

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
ah ok thanks, you talked me off the ledge a little bit there... I didn't realize he had 16 homers in Low A last year... I hope his work ethic is there because it seems like he has alot of natural talent.

Yeah, age relative to league is huge. That's why Starlin was so impressive even though his raw numbers were pretty mediocre.

I still say Vitters should have never been promoted to AA. He was only so-so at Daytona. It seems like every time he does something for a month or so he get's promoted. He should have never been promoted before Brett Jackson. I would have liked to have seen him dominate high A ball like Jackson before we send him up. I knew he would struggle big time in AA.

Well one of the major differences is that it sounded like Vitters was pretty close to making the Tennessee roster out of ST, so they probably just saw that he was fine in the FSL and moved him up, while they probably wanted to see more of Jackson.

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Rhee and Archer both pitching well.

Mell413
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I saw Vitters wasn't playing again. I wonder what happened this time. I noticed Canzler is having a nice year. Is he worth keeping an eye on? He's 24 so it's not like he's that old although ideally he would probably be in AAA at this point.

Tyking4
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I got a question. How does our Farm system rank up against others in the league? With our top two prospects graduating to the Majors, are we still in the top half of the league?

StrandedCub
07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I got a question. How does our Farm system rank up against others in the league? With our top two prospects graduating to the Majors, are we still in the top half of the league?

Pure speculation on my part but I would say around our farm would rank around 10-15 but no lower than 15. Like you said, we have 2 huge prospects in Cashner and Castro that have graduated. However, Brett Jackson has jumped all the way to possibly a top 25 prospect. Hak-Ju Lee, who is playing merely OK, should get more love as he just gets more time and more looks. Trey McNutt looks like he will jump into the top 100. We still have Vitters who, though he has struggled, will still get plenty of recognition as a top 100 prospect. And then we have all those depth type prospects like JJ, Carpenter, Archer, Flaherty, Chirinos, etc. Not top prospects, but plenty of guys that could be ML players IMO.

Tyking4
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Peer speculation on my part but I would say around our farm would rank around 10-15 but no lower than 15. Like you said, we have 2 huge prospects in Cashner and Castro that have graduated. However, Brett Jackson has jumped all the way to possibly a top 25 prospect. Hak-Ju Lee, who is playing merely OK, should get more love as he just gets more time and more looks. Trey McNutt looks like he will jump into the top 100. We still have Vitters who, though he has struggled, will still get plenty of recognition as a top 100 prospect. And then we have all those depth type prospects like JJ, Carpenter, Archer, Flaherty, Chirinos, etc. Not top prospects, but plenty of guys that could be ML players IMO.

McNutt, how exactly does he rank up against the league? I haven't followed much of the Minors this year. I'm starting to gain interest again with the NBA Hell week almost over. Is he top five in our System? What makes him good? Who do we project him to be as a Major Leaguer? Sorry for all the question, just a curious guy.

Doogolas
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
He's good cause he throws upper 90's with a real good slider and I THINK though am not sure, Jilly would have to confirm, but I think he has a developing change. And right now he's probably between 4th and 7th in terms of our prospects. Plus, his control has been excellent so far.

Tyking4
07-07-2010, 11:27 PM
He's good cause he throws upper 90's with a real good slider and I THINK though am not sure, Jilly would have to confirm, but I think he has a developing change. And right now he's probably between 4th and 7th in terms of our prospects. Plus, his control has been excellent so far.

Ahh, okay when can we expect him to be a in Chicago Cubs uniform?

Kirel
07-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, McNutt should be in that tossup group from 4-8 or so.

He's definatly behind B. Jackson and Vitters and almost certainly behind Lee, but after that I'd have a hard time ordering the next set. J. Jackson, Carpenter, Archer, McNutt, etc. But I'd probably have him in the bottom 5.

Thinking about it, if I was to do a top 10 right now it'd probably be

1. B. Jackson
2. J. Vitters
3. H. Lee
4. C. Archer
5. J. Jackson
6. K. McNutt
7. C. Carpenter
8. R. Dolis
9. W. Castillo
10. T. Diamond

Which leaves a lot of interesting names off the table: Flahrety, Rhee, Guyer, Simpson, Golden presumably.

Kirel
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Ahh, okay when can we expect him to be a in Chicago Cubs uniform?
Well, he's in A ball and well behind other pitchers on the depth chart(Jackson, Carpenter, and Archer are all farther up in the system and performing as well). Best case I'd guess late next year, but 2012 or 2013 is more likely.

Doogolas
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, he's in A ball and well behind other pitchers on the depth chart(Jackson, Carpenter, and Archer are all farther up in the system and performing as well). Best case I'd guess late next year, but 2012 or 2013 is more likely.

Technically speaking he's in high A now. He was promoted to Daytona recently. Made his second start there yesterday I think.

Kirel
07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Technically speaking he's in high A now. He was promoted to Daytona recently. Made his second start there yesterday I think.
Yeah, I figure he'll start next year there and be promoted to AA, at which point he's eligible to be called to the majors by Cubs standards. But I would guess he's the last of hte bunch to get the call.

Doogolas
07-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I figure he'll start next year there and be promoted to AA, at which point he's eligible to be called to the majors by Cubs standards. But I would guess he's the last of hte bunch to get the call.

Almost certainly the last to get the call. I merely thought it was worth clarifying that he's in high A as opposed to regular A ball. :shrug: Just to prevent confusion. On the note of confusion, I think they should just have it:

AAA
AA
A
B
C

That'd be so much ****ing easier.

Kirel
07-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Almost certainly the last to get the call. I merely thought it was worth clarifying that he's in high A as opposed to regular A ball. :shrug: Just to prevent confusion. On the note of confusion, I think they should just have it:

AAA
AA
A
B
C

That'd be so much ****ing easier.
haha, yeah, I shoulda said A+, but honestly I couldn't remember off hand what level of A ball he was at. It's easy to forget.

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm starting to sour on Jay Jackson as a starter a bit. The K's are down, the fly balls are way up. I mean not enough that I wouldn't give him a chance in the rotation. But enough so that I think his ultimate destination is the bullpen unless he goes somewhere with a bigass outfield.

chicagofan71
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm starting to sour on Jay Jackson as a starter a bit. The K's are down, the fly balls are way up. I mean not enough that I wouldn't give him a chance in the rotation. But enough so that I think his ultimate destination is the bullpen unless he goes somewhere with a bigass outfield.

Shouldn't his numbers like flyball rate and K rate fluctuating be normal for a PCL transition? I haven't seen how drastic it has been, but just my .02

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Shouldn't his numbers like flyball rate and K rate fluctuating be normal for a PCL transition? I haven't seen how drastic it has been, but just my .02

Yeah that's probably part of it but he's just been very pedestrian so far this year. Like I said not so bad that I've given up on him just that I'm thinking more and more that he's not a strater.

Kirel
07-08-2010, 12:48 PM
His fly balls do not seem to be up that much at all. At AA last year his fly ball rate was 38%, it's only gone up to 41% at this point. That's not way up to me.

There is some regression in his K rate, but by and large I don't see enough in his other rates to say that it's skill regression so much as merely a blip on the radar. It may be, but it could also merely be a product of the league, park, or just happenstance as well. The changes just aren't that big.

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 12:59 PM
His fly balls do not seem to be up that much at all. At AA last year his fly ball rate was 38%, it's only gone up to 41% at this point. That's not way up to me.

There is some regression in his K rate, but by and large I don't see enough in his other rates to say that it's skill regression so much as merely a blip on the radar. It may be, but it could also merely be a product of the league, park, or just happenstance as well. The changes just aren't that big.

Well he was always been too much of a flyball pitcher, and this year it's gotten worst. His groundball rate as a starter this year is 36%, while last year it was 42.3 percent. But that along with his K's being down has me worried. I mean I'm not damning him or anything, but I'm wondering if he's going to end up like early years Ted Lilly, where he had some nice K/BB ratios but his homerun rate leaves him as a back of the rotation starter.

Cubs420
07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Archer has looked good in AA so far, hasn't given up an earned run in 12 innings...I would like to see his walk rate go down but I think it will once he settles in..

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
David Cales and Austin Bibens-Dirkx promoted to Iowa. Cales is a guy I'd kind of like to see this year.

hrubes20
07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
David Cales and Austin Bibens-Dirkx promoted to Iowa. Cales is a guy I'd kind of like to see this year.

Chen was promoted there as well.

Doogolas
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Jesus. The Cubs are hyper aggressive with their promotions. It's kind of frightening.

Ron!n
07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Any word on Simpson?

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Any word on Simpson?

He got like a virus or something so he's been late to report to camp.

cubsbullsbears2
07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
With regards to jay jackson--i somewhat think the cubs screwing with moving him to the bullpen temporarily anticipating calling him up messed with him:
April: 2.35 era 23.0 IP 14 hits 6 ER .177 BAA
May: 2.05 era 26.1 IP 22 hits 6 ER .229 BAA
June (after they moved him to pen for 6 games at the end of may):5.66 era 35.0 IP 35hits 22 ER.261 BAA
1 start in july that wasnt great as well that doesnt deserve its own row

I simply think he needs time to get back into form. Maybe also the expectation that he was getting called up then got his heart broken so to speak when they called up cash instead

Matchstckman
07-08-2010, 11:15 PM
He got like a virus or something so he's been late to report to camp.

Zombie virus?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Jilly Bohnson
07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Zombie virus?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Yep, Proginator Virus

Mell413
07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Vitters with a HR tonight

Doogolas
07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I had a dream last night Vitters and Jackson went 4/4. Vitters had 2HR. I was sad when I woke up.

dyceman
07-10-2010, 06:52 AM
I had a dream last night Vitters and Jackson went 4/4. Vitters had 2HR. I was sad when I woke up.

Doogs, it is sad that you now dream of Cubs' minor leaguers having great games...I had a dream with Derek Lee being a hitman in my XBox game.

Doogolas
07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Doogs, it is sad that you now dream of Cubs' minor leaguers having great games...I had a dream with Derek Lee being a hitman in my XBox game.

I was just looking at the box score of the game. It was in the paper. :laugh2:

dyceman
07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I was just looking at the box score of the game. It was in the paper. :laugh2:

:cheers:

cubsbullsbears2
07-11-2010, 01:24 AM
good news on the farm: jay jackson and chris carpenter pitched very well, szczur had a nice second game in boise--2/4 with a double and an RBI
bad news: vitters 0/6 with 3Ks

chicagofan71
07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I LOVE sczcur. Straight up man crush on that guy.

chicagofan71
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey Hey B-Jax is starting. Gary Thorn said how fast the USA OF was, and he said "especially Jackson". Jackson is faster than Jennings? I'm sorry that's a reeeaal stretch

Mell413
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Peoria got no hit today

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Peoria got no hit today

Only through five innings.

Marlin Bystro
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Don't know if this was posted but I heard Hayden Simpson has mono and probably won't pitch until instructional league.

Bad news but for a pitcher its not the worst thing in the world. Hopefully he throws well this fall and gets sent right to Daytona next year (Kind of like Raley).

hrubes20
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Don't know if this was posted but I heard Hayden Simpson has mono and probably won't pitch until instructional league.

Bad news but for a pitcher its not the worst thing in the world. Hopefully he throws well this fall and gets sent right to Daytona next year (Kind of like Raley).

That's a bummer. I had heard that he had a virus of some kind, but was still holding out hope that he was going to get a little game action in. Oh well. Anybody hear anything new on whether or not we are making any progress in signing Reggie Golden, Ivan DeJesus or Ben Wells?

Marlin Bystro
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
That's a bummer. I had heard that he had a virus of some kind, but was still holding out hope that he was going to get a little game action in. Oh well. Anybody hear anything new on whether or not we are making any progress in signing Reggie Golden, Ivan DeJesus or Ben Wells?

I know Golden is signed, but its overslot and needs commissioner approval.

The other two are probably in the similar situations but I haven't heard for sure.

hrubes20
07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I know Golden is signed, but its overslot and needs commissioner approval.

The other two are probably in the similar situations but I haven't heard for sure.

That is terrific news. Normally I would be terribly skeptical of a post like this without a link. But you, sir, seem to have some kind of connection that has proven to be trustworthy so far. I mean, hell, you called the Hayden Simpson pick. Thanks for the info.

Kirel
07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
That is terrific news. Normally I would be terribly skeptical of a post like this without a link. But you, sir, seem to have some kind of connection that has proven to be trustworthy so far. I mean, hell, you called the Hayden Simpson pick. Thanks for the info.
Not to mention telling us about Geiger about 2 weeks before word turned up anywhere else.

Cubs420
07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Chris Archer continues to impress, He hasn't given up a run yet in Double AA... His strikeouts are down a little bit it seems but you can't argue with 17 scoreless innings.

RedHeadsRule
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Vitters didn't start today, but he did have a pinch-hit homerun. So that's cool.

thornga2
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Aaron Kurcz is off to a great start as a pro. The Cubs 10th round pick is the closer in Boise, and he is putting up Marmol-esque K rates, over 2 an inning at this point. Anyone have a scouting report on this guy?

thornga2
07-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Two guys that I am still holding out hope for are Junior Lake and Kyler Burke. Lake has turned it around a bit of late, and is starting to show signs that he may be a player someday after all. Burke of course had the great year last year, but his contact ability has disappeared. Both have all the athletic tools, and limited contact ability. It is most likely that neither of them has major league success, but I am hoping for the boom.

Doogolas
07-16-2010, 02:18 AM
McNutt appears to be really settling in at Daytona after that bad first outing he had. His K numbers are still fantastic as well with 22 in 19.2IP. And he's only given up two walks since his first start where he allowed 4. So that's fantastic news. And I know Archer has pitched decently as well at AA. If they can keep it up the rest of the year that would be amazing, especially since Archer is already up to AA.

vittersfan
07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
vitters off to a great start tonight. two doubles, a home run, and 5 rbi in first three at-bats

Cubs420
07-16-2010, 09:13 PM
vitters off to a great start tonight. two doubles, a home run, and 5 rbi in first three at-bats

Thanks for the update.

It seems like when Vitters hits his home-runs its in bunches... He gets on these power streaks that are pretty impressive.. I hope he can learn to spread it out throughout the year.

good game for the kid.

TrialNError04
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the update.

It seems like when Vitters hits his home-runs its in bunches... He gets on these power streaks that are pretty impressive.. I hope he can learn to spread it out throughout the year.

good game for the kid.

I still have lots of faith in Vitters, he's still one of the younger players in AA and is showing decent power there. He does seem to be one of those players that needs to get comfortable somewhere before he turns it around, so hopefully he is getting there now.

Doogolas
07-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Damn, Hak-Ju Lee is 4/4 today.
Not that anyone cares but Shark was OK in his start for Iowa today. No runs but 4 walks and only 3K's.
Carpenter was wild, but did OK. 4 walks, 4K's, 4 innings and 3 hits.

Overall, I'd say pretty good day for the farm.

Doogolas
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
After today Rammy's high leverage OPS is up to .756. :laugh2: Even when he sucks *** all year he finds a way to be better in the clutch.

vittersfan
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Damn, Hak-Ju Lee is 4/4 today.
Not that anyone cares but Shark was OK in his start for Iowa today. No runs but 4 walks and only 3K's.
Carpenter was wild, but did OK. 4 walks, 4K's, 4 innings and 3 hits.

Overall, I'd say pretty good day for the farm.

Lee is now 5/5 with 3 rbi

Mell413
07-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Vitters 2-4 with two doubles tonight. Looks like he might be in one of his hot stretches.

Doogolas
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah and B-Jax is 1/3 with a BB as well.

Jay Jackson had a solid start. 5IP 7H 1R 1ER 1BB 6K

thornga2
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm intrigued by this Ronny Morla fella. He and Matt Spencer came back in the Jake Fox trade. Morla has good stuff, a power fastball and slider combo, but control has been his issue. However, he is much improved this season. His ERA is 3.54, but that seems a little bit flukey, because his WHIP is 1.16 and he has 60 K in 53 IP. Interesting relief prospect.

Doogolas
07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm intrigued by this Ronny Morla fella. He and Matt Spencer came back in the Jake Fox trade. Morla has good stuff, a power fastball and slider combo, but control has been his issue. However, he is much improved this season. His ERA is 3.54, but that seems a little bit flukey, because his WHIP is 1.16 and he has 60 K in 53 IP. Interesting relief prospect.

Yeah his FIP is 3.17 and he has a high GB% and low-ish HR rate. The real issue is that he's 22 and in A ball. Hopefully he'll be promoted very soon and we can see if he's actually worth anything.

EDIT: Maybe it's a bad picture but also this:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=501502

If he actually looks like that, then if he's 22, I'm a ****ing Leprechaun.

Mell413
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Lee 1-4 with a BB and a SB so far today. Lee has hit well over his past 10 games.

northsider
07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
So Snyder is having a hell of a year in Iowa shame we have such a crowded OF.

thornga2
07-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah his FIP is 3.17 and he has a high GB% and low-ish HR rate. The real issue is that he's 22 and in A ball. Hopefully he'll be promoted very soon and we can see if he's actually worth anything.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=501502

Yeah he's at least a year too old. I had the same exact thought about that picture. But hey, Greg Oden looks like he's 45.

northsider
07-18-2010, 11:20 PM

The bold had me laughing my *** off.

SenatorMendoza
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
A couple things...

Whoever had Chris Huseby in the adopt a prospect has really dropped the ball. For those who haven't noticed, he's been playing OF for Boise (short season A) and actually doing pretty well. Does anyone know why he's no longer pitching? He did really well as a reliever last year.

Also, Szczur is doing awesome for Boise, but does anyone know why he isn't stealing any bases? He's supposed to have amazing speed and he hasn't even attempted to steal a base yet. Despite all of his teammates virtually running wild every game. He must have some sort of leg injury.

chicagofan71
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
A couple things...

Whoever had Chris Huseby in the adopt a prospect has really dropped the ball. For those who haven't noticed, he's been playing OF for Boise (short season A) and actually doing pretty well. Does anyone know why he's no longer pitching? He did really well as a reliever last year.

Also, Szczur is doing awesome for Boise, but does anyone know why he isn't stealing any bases? He's supposed to have amazing speed and he hasn't even attempted to steal a base yet. Despite all of his teammates virtually running wild every game. He must have some sort of leg injury.
I LOVE szczur. I really hope we fast track him. Jackson and Szczur in the same OF and hell even Colvin has ok speed would cover a **** load of ground.

Jackson-Szczur-Colvin :drool:

Steve Kerr
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
A couple things...

I believe Huseby was having control issues similar to Ankiel.

hrubes20
07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I believe Huseby was having control issues similar to Ankiel.

Yeah, he had developed Steve Blass disease. I had read reports that he got to the point where he legitimately hated pitching a baseball. Since the Cubs gave him so much bonus money, I suppose they figured they would try him out as a hitter. He will obviously have a plus arm from the OF, the question is just if he will be athletic enough on defense and whether he will hit or not. He only has 31 ABs right now, but a line of .355/.444/.516 is nothing to sneeze at, considering he hasn't been a hitter in 3 years. I'm hoping for the best for the young man, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jilly Bohnson
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah after last year's playoffs Huseby turned into a Rich Hill/Rick Ankiel type. And he's young enough they're giving him a shot as an outfielder.

StrandedCub
07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Archer is going later today. Let's see if he can't keep that scoreless streak in tact.

northsider
07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Huesby was my adopt a prospect last year.:sigh:

vittersfan
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
archer finishes a rain shortened game with 5.1 innings 2R 0ER 7 hits 1BB 6K

StrandedCub
07-19-2010, 11:53 PM
archer finishes a rain shortened game with 5.1 innings 2R 0ER 7 hits 1BB 6K

That makes 22 1/3 consecutive IP without giving up an ER by Archer since joining AA Tennessee.

thornga2
07-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I would love to see Szczur fasttracked a little bit. At least enough to catch up with Hak Ju Lee. The Cubs have quite a few intriguing OF prospects these days.

Brett Jackson- Obviously the cream of the crop.

Matt Szczur- has great speed and contact ability, and could also hit for decent power. He has 7 doubles in 11 professional games.

Reggie Golden (assuming he signs)

Jae Hoon Ha- Ha has really turned it around a bit this year. Defensively I think he will end up pretty similar to Kosuke from what I have heard and read.
I was sorta hoping he would move to catcher this season.

Brandon Guyer- One of my favorite prospects. Guyer is possibly the most athletic guy in the system. He has very good speed, a good arm, a good glove, and solid power and contact. He is already 24, but he could be major league ready as a 25 year old.

Kyler Burke- Not ready to give up on him yet.

I like how toolsy that list is. I like it a lot.

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Not sure I like the idea of fast-tracking Szczur, let him take his time after focusing purely on baseball for the first time in his life.

Doogolas
07-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Other than Archer, today was pretty boring.
Guyer homered though.
And Szczur went 2/4 with a BB.
Diamond had a terrible day so that sucks.

thornga2
07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Not sure I like the idea of fast-tracking Szczur, let him take his time after focusing purely on baseball for the first time in his life.

Well I don't mean that they should go all Castro with him, but I do think moving him up to Peoria for a solid number of games would be a good idea, a la Jackson last year. He is a bit on the old side to be staying in Boise for an extended period of time. He should start next season in Daytona in order to be on a good pace considering his age.

Kirel
07-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Well I don't mean that they should go all Castro with him, but I do think moving him up to Peoria for a solid number of games would be a good idea, a la Jackson last year. He is a bit on the old side to be staying in Boise for an extended period of time. He should start next season in Daytona in order to be on a good pace considering his age.
Age sure, but his actual baseball development is a good bit behind.

I think moving him up on age, not skill progression is a bit foolhardy

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 12:47 PM

Daytona next year is probably pushing it. Make sure he shows that he belongs there. I think we all know what happened last time we rushed a two sport player. Start him off in Peoria next year IMO. If he destroys it down there sure move him up quickly, but I think taking a guy that inexperienced and rushing him will just lead to him stalling at some point, making the aggressive promotions moot.

thornga2
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Age sure, but his actual baseball development is a good bit behind.

I think moving him up on age, not skill progression is a bit foolhardy

Daytona next year is probably pushing it. Make sure he shows that he belongs there. I think we all know what happened last time we rushed a two sport player. Start him off in Peoria next year IMO. If he destroys it down there sure move him up quickly, but I think taking a guy that inexperienced and rushing him will just lead to him stalling at some point, making the aggressive promotions moot.

I'm not saying ignore his production. If he sucks in Peoria, don't move him up to Daytona obviously. What I'm mainly saying is that he is dominating Boise, so send him to Peoria sooner rather than later. Then if he does well there, he could possibly start in Daytona next year, and essentially be "caught up" with his age. If he struggles. Keep him in Peoria to start next season. That's not a huge deal.

The guy has been more than just okay in Boise. Why not promote him and see what he can do in Peoria for 40 games or so?

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not saying ignore his production. If he sucks in Peoria, don't move him up to Daytona obviously. What I'm mainly saying is that he is dominating Boise, so send him to Peoria sooner rather than later. Then if he does well there, he could possibly start in Daytona next year, and essentially be "caught up" with his age. If he struggles. Keep him in Peoria to start next season. That's not a huge deal.

The guy has been more than just okay in Boise. Why not promote him and see what he can do in Peoria for 40 games or so?

Oh I don't have too much of a problem iwth him playing at Peoria this year, it's just that when you say fast track him that says to me you want to promote him pretty aggressively. For me personally, I think a guy with as little experience as him should be handled conservatively. Make him spend at least half a season at each level unless he's jsut an absolute monster or really shows some polish over the winter.

Kirel
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM

It's 11 games. Theoretically I could go there and hit that well for 11 games. It's not likely but it's always possible.

Moving him now is, IMHO, the definition of moving on want instead of skill.

Another thing to remember is that if he struggles, he could well walk away and go to the NFL. Putting him in a situation to fail is not good strategy.

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Uhh, I think McNutt's hurt. He got pulled after 1.2 IP and only 1 run allowed.

Doogolas
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
That would be awful news.

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Marcos Mateo was pretty much amazing for three innings tonight. He gave up a homerun but that was one of only two balls to leave the infield.

Mell413
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Junior Lake continues to hit. 2-3 with a 2B tonight so far.

Jilly Bohnson
07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Junior Lake continues to hit. 2-3 with a 2B tonight so far.

He's been a monster lately. I think if the season ended today he might be back in my top 10. He's definitely got as much potential as anyone not named Jackson or Vitters, and he's finally starting to match it with production.