PDA

View Full Version : Blazers Cut Ryan Gomes

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_plan_to_release_ryan_g.html

Team president Larry Miller said the Blazers will probably release newly acquired forward Ryan Gomes in order to avoid taking on the remaining three seasons of his contract.

The team has until Tuesday to make a decision, but Miller said he has already told Gomes' agent not to fly him to Portland.

Gomes was acquired from Minnesota during Thursday's draft for the draft rights to the 16th overall pick, Luke Babbitt, and Blazers forward Martell Webster.

Underrated. Hes averaged 11/5 over his career on 45% shooting from the field. Hes started most of his career, and could be a good addition to a teams bench.

Kakaroach
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I posted this in the other thread but yeah he will be another good bench piece for someone this summer.

h2r09
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
a guy who will sign for little and come off the bench on a contender, or someone will overpay and be stupified as to why he isnt as effective when he starts.

Trouble87
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
too good a player to be a free agent

someone will pick him up

mikantsass
06-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Gomes will provide great value to a contending team. Ive been watching him since he was at Providence College, he is a very underrated player.

Carey
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
He's tough, hits open shots out to 3 point range, defends, he'll find a job rather easily.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I see gomes going to contender that needs good depth, Or a team that needs help will overpay him. Either way dudes a underrated defender.

Ragun
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
this is surprising.

magichatnumber9
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Gomes is the truth. Good locker room presence, family guy, ambassador of the game. Ryan Gomes for President.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Gomes is the truth. Good locker room presence, family guy, ambassador of the game. Ryan Gomes for President.

Bring Gomes Homes

Giannis94
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
I can see Hammonds jumping all over Gomes. Just another step to a championship this year. FEAR THE DEER LAKERS!!!

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
I can see Hammonds jumping all over Gomes. Just another step to a championship this year. FEAR THE DEER LAKERS!!!

True that, Hammonds is killing it this summer

Cdr and Maggette already.

I think Maggette is underrated also.

KmB728
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Please come back to Boston!

Stunner
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Would like him in Chicago.

WolvesJagsOs
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Hate seein him leave Minny, but we got to many SF's now. No need for him here. Good Luck Gomes.

Sixerlover
06-28-2010, 09:30 PM
too good a player to be a free agent

someone will pick him up

In case you haven't noticed there's some pretty good free agents out there this year :p

CB29
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't they save like 3 million if they release him? Thats probably why

JNA17
06-28-2010, 09:40 PM
He would make a great piece to any contending team. Love this kid. Lakers possibly? :D

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
gomes will find a home. He can be solid off the bench contributing good minutes to both the SF and PF positions

jim51990
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
bring him back to boston danny

Mc Lovin
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
He'll probably go back to Boston. He was born and raised in New England and he fits exactly what Boston needs.

SA5195
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't mind him on the Raps, since I have a feeling BC won't re-sign Wright.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
He'll probably go back to Boston. He was born and raised in New England and he fits exactly what Boston needs.

I'd be down with that. I'd like BOS to spilt the MLE between him and Anthony Morrow. That'd give us a much improved bench in the wing positions.

Mc Lovin
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd be down with that. I'd like BOS to spilt the MLE between him and Anthony Morrow. That'd give us a much improved bench in the wing positions.

How much does Boston have to spend? Just on MLE that they have to split or are they getting another one because of Sheed retiring? And what if they don't resign Ray Allen? Will they have that 18 million to try to land a very good player? I'm very confused. I need someone who knows a lot about the salary cap and the Celtics situation to explain to me what's going on so. Could we land Rudy Gay if we don't resign Ray Allen?

SF25
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
This article was updated 2 days ago, word is we're keeping him now and looking to involve him in a trade rather then just waiving him since teams have shown interest in him and we're still looking to trade Rudy and possibly Miller and Pryzbilla's expiring contracts so he could easily be involved in a trade with those guys.

He'll either be waived or traded though, there's no point of keeping him on the roster with the money he'd make for riding the bench since Batum will be starting and Babbitt will most likely be the backup.

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
How much does Boston have to spend? Just on MLE that they have to split or are they getting another one because of Sheed retiring?

Ill try to help you bro.

The MLE is like 5.8 Million and Boston can split it on a couple of players. Usually its spent on just 1 or 2 guys.

Boston could split the MLE between Gomes and Morrow(thats if Morrow takes the deal because hes a RFA and if we dont match it). There are rumors they might have interest in Brad Miller. If Boston has used up their MLE they could sign Miller to a Veteran's Exception contract for like 1.5 million.

Boston doesnt get another MLE if Sheed retires. His contract also doesn't come off their books either so he will still count against the cap. He can be signed at any time and be traded or he can return at any time.

Boston wont get under the cap if Ray leaves. They would have to let Ray walk as well as have Pierce opt out of his contract and let him walk too.

Boston would have to overpay Gay to get him.

dolfan720
06-29-2010, 12:03 AM
he will be picked up. Stupid of the Blazers

Chronz
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Celtics will sign him

WSU Tony
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
this is surprising.

Everyone was saying the Wolves got raped in that trade. Gomes was traded so the team getting him COULD cut him. The Wolves didn't want 4M on the books for the next 3 years and the team getting him didn't either. For 1 M they could cut him.

Everyone thought gomes was a legit part of that trade when in fact he was just traded so the team getting him could cut him and get him off the books.

Now that you guys understand he wasn't part of the trade, how was it in your mind for the Wolves/Blazers?

Most of PSD doesn't realize $ plays (now more than ever) a huge role in these trades.

Focused1
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Send him to Toronto Please. Always been a fan of him since Boston

Mc Lovin
06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Ill try to help you bro.

The MLE is like 5.8 Million and Boston can split it on a couple of players. Usually its spent on just 1 or 2 guys.

Boston could split the MLE between Gomes and Morrow(thats if Morrow takes the deal because hes a RFA and if we dont match it). There are rumors they might have interest in Brad Miller. If Boston has used up their MLE they could sign Miller to a Veteran's Exception contract for like 1.5 million.

Boston doesnt get another MLE if Sheed retires. His contract also doesn't come off their books either so he will still count against the cap. He can be signed at any time and be traded or he can return at any time.

Boston wont get under the cap if Ray leaves. They would have to let Ray walk as well as have Pierce opt out of his contract and let him walk too.

Boston would have to overpay Gay to get him.

The Celtics don't have to pay Rasheed Wallace the remaining 13 million on his contract. I've heard that from a couple ex coaches and sports writers so I know that is true. So your telling me that even though the Celtics do not have to pay Sheed that his contract is still on the books? That doesn't make sense.

R_O_W_E
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
The Celtics don't have to pay Rasheed Wallace the remaining 13 million on his contract. I've heard that from a couple ex coaches and sports writers so I know that is true. So your telling me that even though the Celtics do not have to pay Sheed that his contract is still on the books? That doesn't make sense.

Yep. Thats because NBA contracts are guranteed. That way it keeps teams from telling a player to retire, clearing the cap space, and then signing the player at a reduced rate later on. Boston can sign Sheed at any time if necessary to use as a contract in a deal, Sheed also has up until a certain point to come out of retirement and play this upcoming season.

Example:

Keith Van Horn was still on the books for Dallas in the midst of the Jason Kidd trade. He hasn't played in almost 5 years, but all that was needed was to sign him and ship him to be bought out/waived in New Jersey.

Shareef Abdur Rahim retired 3 seasons ago, but his salary still counted against Sacramento's salary cap for the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season while he was an assistant coach.

Mc Lovin
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Yep. Thats because NBA contracts are guranteed. That way it keeps teams from telling a player to retire, clearing the cap space, and then signing the player at a reduced rate later on. Boston can sign Sheed at any time if necessary to use as a contract in a deal, Sheed also has up until a certain point to come out of retirement and play this upcoming season.

Example:

Keith Van Horn was still on the books for Dallas in the midst of the Jason Kidd trade. He hasn't played in almost 5 years, but all that was needed was to sign him and ship him to be bought out/waived in New Jersey.

Shareef Abdur Rahim retired 3 seasons ago, but his salary still counted against Sacramento's salary cap for the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season while he was an assistant coach.

That's strange but it does make sense.

R_O_W_E
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Blazers just officially waived Ryan Gomes. Return to Celtics possible?
http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

howiend
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
gomes will be a great pick-up for a title contending team - only prob is he has never played in the playoffs but he has a great attitude and character and will work hard and some nights can be very effective

BlondeBomber41
06-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I guess the Blazers aren't interested in good players who can really help them who make a reasonable salary. What a dumb move. Since when do the Blazers care about saving a little money? Batum/Gomes would be a great pair at SF.

kj_
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I read a blog today from a Toronto beat writer...Doug Smith (Toronto Star)... that the Raps will take a run at him in free agency. They inquired about a trade but obviously Portland wanted the salary off the books.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I guess the Blazers aren't interested in good players who can really help them who make a reasonable salary. What a dumb move. Since when do the Blazers care about saving a little money? Batum/Gomes would be a great pair at SF.

Waving Gomes gives us more flexibility with our cap in terms of making a trade in the future. This wasn't a cost cutting move, this just gives us more options.

SA5195
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Raps might be interested.

Ryan Gomes.

Like him?

Not sure how many of you have been following what’s going on with him but the serviceable backup (who I quite like as a player, by the by) was traded from Minnesota to Portland and will either be traded or waived by 3 p.m. Tuesday to save the Blazers some money because his contract is not fully guaranteed if he’s released by that time.

I will tell you this: I know from league sources that the Raptors have made a call to see if there’s a trade fit and while it’s doubtful that gets done (it’s in Portland’s best interest, really, to waive him) I know Toronto will see if it can get something done with him in free agency.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/