PDA

View Full Version : Sources: "If the price is right, [Al] Jefferson is available."

S-Dot
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
According to Star Tribune (link below), Al Jefferson is available. David Kahn confirms he can be dealt for the right price. Does his availability affect some teams' pursuit of other players in this year's Free Agency? Should Minnesota even trade him? Can his addition to another team make them a contender? Your thoughts?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/97206939.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUss

ballpd05
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I think so. He is one of the best offensive 4's in the league when you break him down.

I think if he could ever get on a team with quality guards he would be much better.

Raidaz4Life
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I think he'd be a great back up plan for teams that don't come away with Bosh, Amare, or Boozer

mavwar53
06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
New reports of the same old S@#&

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
already another thread on this but if Minnesota can get true value for him, say a stud SG, then they will pull the trigger

Stunner
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Minny hates good SG.

king4day
06-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd love to see Phoenix do something to get him. Unfortunately, any involvelment of the Suns and free agents / trades will have to include Amar'e in a sign and trade as well as a 3rd team.

bostncelts34
06-28-2010, 12:05 PM
sign and trade ray ray and throw in davis and a future pick for AL

Rondo/Bradley
MLE signing
Pierce
KG/vet min signing
Big Al/Perk (when healthy)

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Minny hates good SG.

????

GSW Hoops
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Does Minnesota make trades just for the sake of making trades?

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Does Minnesota make trades just for the sake of making trades?

that is why you acquire attractive contracts and multiple young players. And when free agency is not going to land a star, trading is about the only way outside the draft

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
David Kahn is a terrible gm.... If Minny had a Presti or Pritchard they would be in a way better position now... This guy pisses me off and Im not even a Minny fan... And this is not sour grapes over rubio.. I can see that being thrown out there very quickly. He just reminds me of Isiah thomas ...

Kakaroach
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah there have been rumors flying about Al Jeff all summer long, the chances he gets traded is very high I think.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
David Kahn is a terrible gm.... If Minny had a Presti or Pritchard they would be in a way better position now... This guy pisses me off and Im not even a Minny fan... And this is not sour grapes over rubio.. I can see that being thrown out there very quickly. He just reminds me of Isiah thomas ...

Bro as much as I think Kahn is gonna shoot himself in the foot, there is only one Isiah Thomas and he killed the Knick's Franchise Hard. Kahn does have some good pieces and should look at trading Jefferson to a contender/Free agent bust team.

I would like to see a Hawks trade for Jefferson,Sessions for Joe Johnson,Teague and Bibby.Hawks need a younger point and a Horford,Smith and Jefferson rotation is tight, and Bibby would work well with Flynn teaching/Guiding him and JJ would give the wolves more scoring.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Bro as much as I think Kahn is gonna shoot himself in the foot, there is only one Isiah Thomas and he killed the Knick's Franchise Hard. Kahn does have some good pieces and should look at trading Jefferson to a contender/Free agent bust team.

I would like to see a Hawks trade for Jefferson,Sessions for Joe Johnson,Teague and Bibby.Hawks need a younger point and a Horford,Smith and Jefferson rotation is tight, and Bibby would work well with Flynn teaching/Guiding him and JJ would give the wolves more scoring.

Jefferson/Sessions for JJ/Teague in a sign and trade would be awesome. No Bibby though, Rubio will be over next summer, and we would have no need for him at all. He would be a trade chip at best

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Jefferson/Sessions for JJ/Teague in a sign and trade would be awesome. No Bibby though, Rubio will be over next summer, and we would have no need for him at all. He would be a trade chip at best

Just put Bibby in to make the numbers work. I think Rubio will make it across the pond next season also.But if timber wolves get a all-star like JJ and some good pieces with the already good core they have I could see him jumping here faster to compete. But Bibby could be a good mentor or a trade piece like you said. I just see both teams Benefiting from this trade.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Just put Bibby in to make the numbers work. I think Rubio will make it across the pond next season also.But if timber wolves get a all-star like JJ and some good pieces with the already good core they have I could see him jumping here faster to compete. But Bibby could be a good mentor or a trade piece like you said. I just see both teams Benefiting from this trade.

trust me, I wouldn't make that the hinge that didn't bring a premier SG to the Wolves. Bibby could be moved next summer as an expiring who can actually play. Just would prefer Flynn got a ton of burn this season

Lo Porto
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Joe Johnson would have to want to go to Minny and that isn't happening.

If Chicago loses out on Bosh, Amare or Boozer, they should trade Deng for Jefferson. Deng would fit well next to Wesley Johnson and Jefferson with Noah would be nasty.

magichatnumber9
06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
14 million for the next couple of seasons are you ******** me! I'm sorry Minnesota the price is not right, for a power forward that doesn't play defense. And we haven't even discussed trades yet.

ldc62
06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Zeke is 10 times the drafter...

CregCreg
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
How about Jefferson/Flynn or Jefferson/Sessions for Vince Carters expiring contract

GEO123
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
sign and trade ray ray and throw in davis and a future pick for AL

Rondo/Bradley
MLE signing
Pierce
KG/vet min signing
Big Al/Perk (when healthy)

Why would Ray agree to a sign and trade to go to Minnesota?

GSW Hoops
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
that is why you acquire attractive contracts and multiple young players. And when free agency is not going to land a star, trading is about the only way outside the draft

I always thought you did those things to win basketball games? :confused:

tbone2171
06-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Can we please let the offseason play out before you call this guy a terrible gm.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Can we please let the offseason play out before you call this guy a terrible gm.

He is not terrible, Just Inexperienced but I think he's getting better.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I always thought you did those things to win basketball games? :confused:

patience is the key when rebuilding sir.

magichatnumber9
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Why would Ray agree to a sign and trade to go to Minnesota?After his performance in game 7,,,, I don't care what Ray wants.

xbrackattackx
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
After his performance in game 7,,,, I don't care what Ray wants.

Ship him to China to play with Marbury.

That's the MING DYNASTY all over again.

Phat Pat 94
06-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Minny fans think quite the opposite. Hes doing a fine job and hasnt gotten the bad side of a trade yet since coming to minny.

heatking
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
The most i see a team giving up is a 2nd... He has one of the 5 worst contracts in the league.

Oefarmy2005
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
One thing I don't get is why all the hate for Al. Once again I'll repeat what I've said before. When his contract was signed he was the cat's *** and was worth more than that. He has he missed half a season with injury and then played last year recovering in an offense that didn't feature him at all. Yes, I am not going to argue with his horrible defense, but he would be fine next to a defensive center. His bad defense looked worst than it really is because he was playing next to Kevin Love who's D is about the same - non existent. Once again, his contract is not bad even based on how bad he played. He is a legit 20 and 10 player on 50% + from the field.

Trouble87
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Jefferson has a HUGE contract and is injury prone in my eyes. I hope Kahn is stuck with Jefferson till his contract expires.

SpeeMN
06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm going to say some facts about the Timberwolves:

- Al Jefferson received his contact from Kevin McHale. Kahn was not with Minny.
-Love's Defense is worse than Al's. Yet Big Al gets all the blame.
-Kahn Needs athletic players, which Al and Love are not. So we must pick one.
-Jefferson has amazing post moves, you would all be blown away if you saw them but once.
-We arn't trying to get ride of him for nothing, we value what he offers but believe he is the best asset to get a legit wing player.

SpeeMN
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Also...

McHale ****ed up our franchise. Every T-wolves fan knows we've been rebuilding for ONE YEAR. The years before Kahn got here don't count. The team sucked and always would have sucked. And they were extremely boring to watch.
Kahn is our savior if anything.

fadedmario
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't want him. Scouting reports say he's breaking down and is half the player he was two years ago.

Wisdom Listens
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Jefferson has a HUGE contract and is injury prone in my eyes. I hope Kahn is stuck with Jefferson till his contract expires.

His contract really isn't that huge for his skill-set. It could be much worse.

Wisdom Listens
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't want him. Scouting reports say he's breaking down and is half the player he was two years ago.

He's not breaking down, it takes a while to fully come back from a torn ACL. Last year was his recovery year, and this year he should finally be back to his 2008-09 form. He's still very young (25).

topdog
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
The most i see a team giving up is a 2nd... He has one of the 5 worst contracts in the league.

Ummm... care to name those other 4? I can think of 3 worse contracts that were all on the Warriors as of last week:

-Maggette
-Ellis
-Biedris

also there are some former warriors:
-Murphy
-Dunleavy Jr.

and of course:
-Elton Brand
-Eddy Curry

topdog
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Prediction: In 2-3 weeks when Bosh, Amare and Boozer are off the market and your favorite team missed out, all you Al bashers are going to be typing away in your forums about "we should trade for Al Jefferson - he's a 20-10 guy."

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

wow. I would hate to see how you define bad deals.
17/9, in a year that had his first half slowed by recovery, only to get back to his normal level of play late in the year, and he makes $12 million. There are so many worse deals I won't even bother throwing a number out there. I would guess upwards of 30

WSU Tony
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM

He's 25 and doesn't use an explosive athleticism to get the job done. He's recovering from a knee injury 2 years ago, not breaking down from old age.

Do you simply read and then regurgitate? Use your noodle.

Wisdom Listens
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
wow. I would hate to see how you define bad deals.
17/9, in a year that had his first half slowed by recovery, only to get back to his normal level of play late in the year, and he makes $12 million. There are so many worse deals I won't even bother throwing a number out there. I would guess upwards of 30

$13 million for 20+/10+? Sounds pretty good to me. Wolves fans wanting to trade Al has nothing to do with his contract being "bad", it's that most of us believe he doesn't fit in our system.

AddiX
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Al is a good player, I think he will recover.

It just so happens Minny is trying to trade him in an off-season that is packed with talent and Al is pretty much the last option for multiple reasons.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
as topdog said, in two weeks, when a good portion of teams miss out on Bosh/Amare/Boozer/Lee to sign outright, the calls for Jefferson will be flooding in. No need to panic in Wolves world.

masalex1205
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah hes not as bad a defender as people make him out to be but he's still below average and you need good defense to win in the playoffs...the Bobcats are a good defensive team that need offensive, could be a perfect match

I'd do a Diaw, DJ, Henderson for Jefferson but nothing more

Just don't think he's worth much on the open market w/ the new CBA looming and such a large contract/injury history although I hear it takes 2 years to recover from his injury so if I'm Minnesota I let him start the season, tear it up, then trade him when his stock gets higher

mark1125
06-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I would be happy to take him on the Pistons. Tayshaun Prince being a logical piece headed back.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 03:36 PM
yeah hes not as bad a defender as people make him out to be but he's still below average and you need good defense to win in the playoffs...the Bobcats are a good defensive team that need offensive, could be a perfect match

I'd do a Diaw, DJ, Henderson for Jefferson but nothing more

Just don't think he's worth much on the open market w/ the new CBA looming and such a large contract/injury history although I hear it takes 2 years to recover from his injury so if I'm Minnesota I let him start the season, tear it up, then trade him when his stock gets higher

if they don't get a fair offer for a dynamic SG, I see no reason to trade Jefferson. He will be a 22/11 player next season, just look to move him then if we still don't want him.
Like I said though, it would surprise me if offers don't start coming in around July 9