PDA

View Full Version : Brooks on Sather and Shelley

dashripdot
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Brooks stating that Sather evidences little or no intention to re-sign Shelley, and takes him to the woodshed for it. If that is truly Sather's position on Shelley, I believe they should biopsy his brain (pre-mortem, not post-mortem after the cigars kill him) to see what else he's been smoking. The players responded to his and Prust's style of play and even Tortorella likes Shelley, for chrissakes. He'll come cheap, make the team tougher to play against, chip in some goals, and not be the bust that the Brashear signing was. What's not to like about him? He might be asking for more $, but I doubt he's asking for a longterm deal.

NYY09
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Im sure Sather knows what he's doing... :laugh:

liltedspop
06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
In todays cap constrained system we can ill afford to pay a 4th. line player anything more than 1.5 mill. As much as Shelley provided to our team after we acquired him he's not worth 1.5 million I'm sorry I totally agree with Sathers stance here if this report is even accurate. I'd just as soon give that spot to Dane Byers than I would pay Shelley anything more than 1.5 mill. per.

dashripdot
06-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Negotiations being what they are, what he asks for and what he expects to get are two different things. I wouldn't want the Rangers to pay him that much, but to close the door on him would be a collossally stupid thing for Sather to do without negotiating a reasonable middle ground.

bsi
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Shelley should be happy at a league minimum, he really has no hockey skills to speak off and he's at the end of his career, he's tough and a good voice but that's it. I'd walk from him too if it's for 1.5 million.

NECKLOCK
06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
The Shelley situation smells a lot like the Ryan Hollweg situation. You have a guy willing to drop the gloves,seems to excite the team and fans on and off the ice and has a chance to score an occasional goal. What more do you want from a 4th line guy? I guarantee if we lose shelley we will only end up saving1-$200,000. Is that really worth takin the chance that you'll end up with another guy like Brashear. For what Shelley was I thought him and Prust were 2 of the best mid season moves we made in years. That's sad yes but we have to find something to be happy about.

messleetch94
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
If Shelley is asking for 1 mil to 1.250 area, Slats would be a fool not to sign him . It's what the market is for 4th line tough guys. Colton Orr, though missed, is making 1 mil per with Toronto. He played in all 82 games and scored 6 pts. Shelly played in 57 games, the first 36 with San Jose, and scored 9 pts. And 6 of those points were in the 21 games he played for us. My honest opinion is that Sather is regretting bringing in Torts and hes trying to weed out the players he wants.

dashripdot
06-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Sather has gone from spending like a drunken sailor to Scrooge. In the case of Shelley, Sather is being pennywise and pound foolish. The guy's not asking for 5-year deal or even a 3-year deal. Sign him already. Who is he gonna get to replace him? Brashear? I hear he was waived today. Sign him! Oh, wait, Sather signed Brashear.