PDA

View Full Version : Union VP Foyle: Players' Counter Proposal Soon to Reach NBA

DenButsu
06-28-2010, 07:40 AM
And so it begins...

Union VP Foyle: Players' Counter Proposal Soon to Reach NBA
o Chris Tomasson
o Senior NBA Writer

NBA players don't want a lockout, which is what could happen one year from Friday. But they aren't going to accept a deal they don't believe is fair.

That's the word from union first vice president Adonal Foyle after the NBA Players Association held its annual summer meeting Thursday and Friday at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas. About 60 players attended, including star guards Dwyane Wade of Miami and Richard Hamilton of Detroit.

"It's very simple. We don't want a lockout,'' Foyle, an Orlando center, said Sunday in a phone interview with FanHouse about what could occur when the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) expires June 30, 2011. "We think that this business is going very well. But, at the same time, we are preparing guys for the next year just to make sure. We're telling them to save their money more ... We'll take a deal yesterday or take a deal tomorrow. But it has to be a fair deal.''

With the union being very unhappy about a proposal submitted by the owners during last February's All-Star Weekend, one which NBA commissioner David Stern has said is in line with the economic times, union executive director Billy Hunter has said the players will submit a counter proposal by the end of this month.

Share19 Foyle said the union has made great progress and hopes the proposal will be at the league offices in New York by Wednesday, the final day of the month. Foyle said there could be some delays, but figures the proposal at least will be submitted by early July.

Foyle declined to offer details about what the union proposal will entail, saying he prefers NBA officials see it first. But Foyle said it will take into account the economic climate.

"I think it's safe to say that we're very aware of what's happening in the economy, and we're very sensitive to what's happening globally,'' Foyle said. "But we have looked at everything with the overall (financial) numbers (involving the NBA). At the end of the game ... it's how the numbers are split up (between the owners and the players).''

Stern said last February during All-Star Weekend that the NBA expects to lose about $400 million this past season, a figure Hunter has called "baloney.'' Foyle also disagreed with the figure provided by the NBA, and said the union's proposal will ask a lot of questions about how that number was derived. Foyle declined to give a figure he believes is more accurate.

Foyle pointed out some...

[...]Fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/27/union-vp-foyle-players-counter-proposal-soon-to-reach-nba/)

Bruno
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind a lock out. The season is too long. Sometimes (rarely) teams that have 6-8th seat talent miss the playoffs because a guy got injured during game 60, and they were passed before the start of playoffs by a lesser team.

IMO the season is too long when literally every single player on both teams of the championship round is playing injured.

td0tsfinest
06-28-2010, 11:04 PM
^ so you rather have 0 games compared to 82 games?

DenButsu
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind a lock out. The season is too long. Sometimes (rarely) teams that have 6-8th seat talent miss the playoffs because a guy got injured during game 60, and they were passed before the start of playoffs by a lesser team.

IMO the season is too long when literally every single player on both teams of the championship round is playing injured.

Wanting a shorter season isn't necessarily crazy, although I disagree with that idea.

But wanting a shorter season to come as the result of a lockout, yeah, that's kind of crazy. In a lockout, everybody loses: the fans, the players, the owners, the teams and their employees, and the league as a whole. It's ugly all around.

topdog
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm glad a counter proposal is coming. I don't want a lockout but I don't like the idea of a hard cap either - owners need to learn to say "no" in FA instead of in the CBA.