PDA

View Full Version : Threepeat = Shaq back for 2010-11???

Rocco007
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I wanted to have a honest discussion about the proposition of signing Shaq this summer...

First off, there's no doubt it's our call(Lakers)...Shaq would definately welcome a return to L.A....and I believe he's already said so publicly...providing it's embraced by everyone...

and honestly, we all know The Lakers are missing a muscle man presence, an intimidator...After we address our PG situation...Shaq would make us a truly complete team...

So far we should all be in agreement...right?

So my closing statements would be this...

If Phil comes back, he's probably one and done...

If Shaq comes back, he's probably one and done...

and when Kobe comes back, he's probably aiming for MJ's 6 Titles...

I can't imagine more motivating storylines for this Team...

Everyone has already proven themselves as Champions...

Shaq without Kobe...

Kobe without Shaq...

Phil without MJ...

The question is...

Can They all do what previously couldn't be done in Chicago....

and separate themselves from the Jordan Bulls...

Re-unite after a major fallout...

and win a Championship together... once again?

Please participate in the Poll...I'm curious to see how divided we are about this...

Avenged
06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm okay with the idea of bringing Shaq back in a limited roll.

Not so sure if he'll work out or anything but it's definitely worth a shot to look at him. I'd much rather Kobe go for the 3-peat without Shaq but if he can help our team I'm all for it. He's definitely better than any of our bigs outside of Gasol and Bynum.

shep33
06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
i've said this a lot, I really don't mind Shaq coming back and playing from the bench, giving us a vetran big man who cloggs the lane. That's just me though, if we get him for a vets min I'd do it in a heartbeat. That being said I ultimately see 2 problems:

1) How will he and Kobe get along. Remember now this is Kobe's team, and city for that matter. In reality, if he says no, then it ain't happening. So I dunno how their relationship is these days.

2) Shaq is getting old, still productive, but old. He's gonna give us what 1 year maybe? Why not sign a Gooden/Brad Miller/Brendan Haywood, who can give us more than 1 year.

I love the big fella, we can't forget what he did for this franchise. The guy absolutely dominated when he was in LA, putting up mind boggling numbers, oh and leading us to a 3 peat. That however, won't play into the interests of Mitch in all likelihood.

numba1CHANGsta
06-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Make Shaq the Lakers mascot:clap:

ALTERIQUE
06-26-2010, 11:54 PM
An emphatic heck no!!!!

ALTERIQUE
06-26-2010, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't entertain that Bosh for Bynum sign and trade either. We've proven we can win with what we got however I'm down for picking up Raja Bell/Mcgrady/Back up Center.

CLASSOF72
06-27-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm down with a Shaq Lakers jersey hanging at Staples, but i don't ever want to see Shaq wearing another P&G uni not next year not ever. FK Shaq the Big Geriatric. Shaq is a dick and doesn't deserve the Buss's charity. Shaq is no muscle man at this pioint just a washed up old POS. He'll help some team off the bench maybe, but the only role I would except for Shaq on the Lakers would be water boy or maybe and I stress maybe he could work his way up to towel boy or a sweat sweeper if he demonstrates the worthyness of the job.

CLASSOF72
06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Make Shaq the Lakers mascot:clap:

Why take that job from an otherwise qualified candidate? Fk Shaq let him be a jock strap folder or something. Maybe he could scrape gum off the floor in the cheep seats.

Iceman_9
06-27-2010, 01:01 AM
for the veteran minimum and for a limited role.. he'll be the backup of AB.. crazy though.. I can still remember he made a cheap shot against AB years ago.. now he will be AB's backup if he wants to come back.. hehehehe.. Karma..

lakerssssssss
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
No way

Chacarron
06-27-2010, 01:37 AM
I would like to see it happen but there is still something leftover after what transgressed. I love Shaq and if he were to come I would have to embrace it. As long as it benefits us more than it hurts us, I'm down with the possibility of reuniting one of the best trios of all time.

smdodgerfan
06-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Absolutely NOT. Shaq is a cancer to team chemistry. He has never learned to play well with others, he believes he has to be the center of attention. Can he help a team as a 15-20 min per game player? Yes. But can he kill a team chemistry quicker than AI? Also a big YES. We don't need this guy.

Penetra8r
06-27-2010, 02:03 AM
If he will sign for the same salary as Josh / DJ @ $959,111, heck yes!

dru_562
06-27-2010, 02:04 AM
if he were to come bacc i could wear my jersey again haha

XerxestheGreat
06-27-2010, 03:09 AM
injury prone Shaq to back up injury prone Bynum????

jaji10
06-27-2010, 03:40 AM
no, there are other bigs available and we should look at them 1st... shaq can still help any team but not the lakers, he will be a distraction out there... they are a championship team so no need to make risky additions...

COBY KARL
06-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I loved watching Kobe & Shaq play together, It would be awesome to see them all win a championship together with Kobe leading the way.

However, i dont know if Shaq can accept that it wont be Shaq and Kobe, but rather Kobe and Pau....and Shaq on the side.

LA_Raiders
06-27-2010, 07:54 AM
He can help from the bench, but is his ego willing to do it?

ldawg
06-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Shaq will follow Lebron to Chicago and come off the bench behind Noah. Just think of Noah Deng, Rose, Lebron, Stodamire want to talk about high octane? I can see it now Slow older Champs with an slow aged point guard vs The Young high Octane Machine. I still think we beat them if we up grade the bench and a new starting pg.

DayZ
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I think he can go damage another team.

He is a liability on pick and rolls.

I don't really want him backing up Bynum at all, it's like replacing an injured center for an older-injured center.

Storch
06-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Ive been an advocate of bringing shaq back ever since he left. This dude is exactly what we need as a back up center. He doesnt even have to start if bynum gets injured, we have lamar for that. He is the toughest center around, he can fill in the lane and prevent easy layups (something the lakers fail in, due to our horrible pg defense). Shaq is a great last line of defense.

Please bring back the diesel to the lakeshow. :pray:

Oh and who ever said that we're ending kobe's championship run next year? We have a good 3 year window left.

Rocco007
06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Ive been an advocate of bringing shaq back ever since he left. This dude is exactly what we need as a back up center. He doesnt even have to start if bynum gets injured, we have lamar for that. He is the toughest center around, he can fill in the lane and prevent easy layups (something the lakers fail in, due to our horrible pg defense). Shaq is a great last line of defense.

Please bring back the diesel to the lakeshow. :pray:

Oh and who ever said that we're ending kobe's championship run next year? We have a good 3 year window left.
--------------------------------
This is a pretty honest take...

Shaq knows what his role would be coming to a Back to Back Champion Laker Team...

and He'll be all for it...
Especially after his humbling trips to Phoenix and Cleveland...

and who knows...
maybe L.A. would bring the best out of Shaq?

20-25 mins = 12 pts 8 rebs would be awesome...

I would also have Odom see more time at the 3 spot...

and perhaps have Shaq and Bynum see minutes together...:D

Lakers_ftw
06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
If Shaq is signed...then that must mean that Kobe is OK with it. If Kobe is Ok with Shaq coming back, then why can't WE ?

Lakeshow86
06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I think Shaq wants to come back to LA. He said it himself. He wants to retire a laker and hopefully go out a champion. Eveyone wants to go out on a great note and winning a championship on the Lakers would be a great ending for Shaq's legacy. He knows what will be his role on this team. he knows its not his team anymore. Its Kobe's and Pau's team. He's just a old role player now just looking to contribute rather than lead a team. But I think it will come down to Kobe and Buss. Mitch isnt going to do anything unless Buss and Kobe agree to take him back. Shaq has been trying to get in good with Lakers and is seemingly apologizing to Kobe and the Lakers for that Ugly breakup. Now its time for a reunion. Phil, Kobe, and Shaq together for one last episode

LakerfaninKY
06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Absolutely NOT. Shaq is a cancer to team chemistry. He has never learned to play well with others, he believes he has to be the center of attention. Can he help a team as a 15-20 min per game player? Yes. But can he kill a team chemistry quicker than AI? Also a big YES. We don't need this guy.

Exactly.

Vinylman
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Shaq will follow Lebron to Chicago and come off the bench behind Noah. Just think of Noah Deng, Rose, Lebron, Stodamire want to talk about high octane? I can see it now Slow older Champs with an slow aged point guard vs The Young high Octane Machine. I still think we beat them if we up grade the bench and a new starting pg.

bold is right on imo... shaq wants another ring without kobe... it would be his best chance

golbin
06-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I honestly dont see how people wanna see shaq back...i'll just assume the 20 people who voted for shaq to come back WAS NOT around when these two played with each other..we know the drama..we know there IS a dislike for each other..and we also know how shaq has been since he left..hes a big fat joke...

i honestly cant comprehend how anyone IN THEIR RIGHT MIND wants to see shaq hop on the lakers back and get carried to titles..

like seriously WHATS WRONG WITH U GUYS?? why live through that again??

the answer is simple..the guys who voted to have him back are just teenagers who hasnt seen what we laker fans have..and they just WANNA FEEL how it is...

and todays fans [a big part of them] likes drama and ALL the bullsh*t..and that these "laker fans" and "kobe fans" just wanna see a war of words even though NONE OF THEM will ever admit it..

true..and boy i mean TRUE Bryant fans dont wanna live through that again..TRUE Bryant fans suffered through shaq's rap and fun the media had with kobe and are and were pissed because of it..Remember how it was reading all the jokes about bryant??? Remember all those times you had to listen and do your best too defend bryant??

TRUE Bryant fans will tell Shaq to go ***** himself..

Avenged
06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I honestly dont see how people wanna see shaq back...i'll just assume the 20 people who voted for shaq to come back WAS NOT around when these two played with each other..we know the drama..we know there IS a dislike for each other..and we also know how shaq has been since he left..hes a big fat joke...

i honestly cant comprehend how anyone IN THEIR RIGHT MIND wants to see shaq hop on the lakers back and get carried to titles..

like seriously WHATS WRONG WITH U GUYS?? why live through that again??

the answer is simple..the guys who voted to have him back are just teenagers who hasnt seen what we laker fans have..and they just WANNA FEEL how it is...

and todays fans [a big part of them] likes drama and ALL the bullsh*t..and that these "laker fans" and "kobe fans" just wanna see a war of words even though NONE OF THEM will ever admit it..

true..and boy i mean TRUE Bryant fans dont wanna live through that again..TRUE Bryant fans suffered through shaq's rap and fun the media had with kobe and are and were pissed because of it..Remember how it was reading all the jokes about bryant??? Remember all those times you had to listen and do your best too defend bryant??

TRUE Bryant fans will tell Shaq to go ***** himself..

That's the problem right there.

First and foremost, a lot of us here are Laker fans not Kobe fans.

Kobe may be our favorite player but at the end of the day, we're looking to improve the team.

"True" and I mean "true" Laker fans know exactly what I'm talking about. The team comes first, not Kobe.

RoyalG333
06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
there is no reason to bring shaq back. the dude left because of his ego. I think he deserves to have his jersey retired, but it would just be a freak show if he came back. I dont think we need him, especially if PJ doesnt return.

Avenged
06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
there is no reason to bring shaq back. the dude left because of his ego. I think he deserves to have his jersey retired, but it would just be a freak show if he came back. I dont think we need him, especially if PJ doesnt return.

I don't know about having his jersey retired, I personally wouldn't do it but who knows.

I think if he came back, the only way would be for him to accept a limited bench role and like somebody else mentioned, Kobe would have to be okay with it.

I don't think he's needed, we should go after some other big but if it comes down to Shaq, I wouldn't mind as long as he can help the team.

golbin
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Kobe may be our favorite player but at the end of the day, we're looking to improve the team.

"True" and I mean "true" Laker fans know exactly what I'm talking about. The team comes first, not Kobe.

dont tell me for one second that were better off with that cancer on our roster

Avenged
06-27-2010, 03:25 PM
dont tell me for one second that were better off with that cancer on our roster

Definitely better than Mbenga and Powell.

Shaq will not sign with the Lakers without getting approval of players mainly Kobe. He will not sign if the Lakers feel he'll be a problem off the court and on the court. The Lakers won't go after him simply just to do it.

There's so many factors that come into play when talking about Shaq. If he's willing to have a limited role off the bench, absolutely he'll help us.

lakers4sho
06-27-2010, 03:28 PM

:nod:

Chacarron
06-27-2010, 03:33 PM

I applaud you. Finally someone I can agree with in a long time.

Lakers4ItAll
06-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't want Shaq back and all the media that would go along with it.

I think we should go after Brendan Haywood

New Power House
06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I wanted to have a honest discussion about the proposition of signing Shaq this summer...

First off, there's no doubt it's our call(Lakers)...Shaq would definately welcome a return to L.A....and I believe he's already said so publicly...providing it's embraced by everyone...

and honestly, we all know The Lakers are missing a muscle man presence, an intimidator...After we address our PG situation...Shaq would make us a truly complete team...

So far we should all be in agreement...right?

So my closing statements would be this...

If Phil comes back, he's probably one and done...

If Shaq comes back, he's probably one and done...

and when Kobe comes back, he's probably aiming for MJ's 6 Titles...

I can't imagine more motivating storylines for this Team...

Everyone has already proven themselves as Champions...

Shaq without Kobe...

Kobe without Shaq...

Phil without MJ...

The question is...

Can They all do what previously couldn't be done in Chicago....

and separate themselves from the Jordan Bulls...

Re-unite after a major fallout...

and win a Championship together... once again?

Please participate in the Poll...I'm curious to see how divided we are about this...

Listen clear and loud,Kobe said it very firmly after the last game. I have a great memory! Buss also has great memory. Shaq is a traitor and will never come back to wear the Laker's uniform again while Kobe is there.:mad:

New Power House
06-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't want Shaq back and all the media that would go along with it.

I think we should go after Brendan Haywood

Haywood is going to demand the mid level at least. Brad Miller is a better choice,because he might want to come and get a ring by just playing limited minutes prolonging his carrier on a winning mod. If Lebron goes to Chicago then it might be a different story. Also,the Lakers just need a center with the ability to come off the bench and help Bynum.

KillaInstinct24
06-27-2010, 04:13 PM
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhh hhhhhhhhhhhh shaq is a team killer, what dont u guys understand?????

New Power House
06-27-2010, 04:19 PM

High octane like Phoenix or Cavs or what.
Bynum>Noah
Paul>Amare or Bosh
Lebron better attacking. Artest better defending.L.D.plays here.so is he going to play from the bench? Then we need to reinforce the SF postion with a shooter like Miller or Outlaw
Kobe>Rose Here I am not sure who Kobe is going to cover.
Lakers will get this position to be cover by different PGs Fisher and maybe Bell or Blake or LR and Brown.
Lebron is the only one that will have some advantage,but Lakers still a team with three years of experience. Chicago's coach has no way to dethrone the Lord of the rings. Their bench is going to be their biggest disadvantage,because they sold a lot bodies to make room for Lebron and any other superstar. Miami and NY have done the same. So,the Lakers still have a huge advantage in my eyes. Lakers will be ready for the challenge.

New Power House
06-27-2010, 04:25 PM

I hope that this really happen,but Lebron will not let this happen either.

artest_kobe
06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
i think it would be ok i guess, phil must come back for oneal to even consider it i believe, but the biggest thing is that kobe will always be 1 up in championships on shaq, so why wouldn't kobe be open to it if shaq would be willing to play and play hard for one more year

artest_kobe
06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
plus as long as artest is on the team, lebron has no shot, the bosh/lebron combo does not equal championships, at least not now, they would need to build some chemistry along the way, they may be tough to beat in 2-3 years, but not next year

RaiderLakersA's
06-27-2010, 06:07 PM
I am grateful for Shaq's service to the Lakers in the past. However, he is not the answer we seek, present or future. We need big men who can run the floor. Shaq is too slow getting back on defense. He is STILL a liability at the free throw line. If Shaq was the only center available, sure, I'd bring him back. But there are other, better options that can be had in lieu of Shaq. I think Mitch will see it that way as well.

Kobe24rulez
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
A BIG NO TO SHAQ
adding shaq will only hinder the development of andrew bynum, he will demand the minutes and touches, there are better choices in C spot than shaq we need bruiser/ low post defender kwame butterfingers brown is a good low post defender, i think he will be a better backup to bynum than shaq, if we need athletic big man stromile swift is available, joel anthony is a free agent, these guys are younger and have better mobility than old shaq, and they aren't drama queens

DownUnder
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
TORN.

As far as a triangle centre, Shaq is the quintessential player, like it or not. He still has a few good years to contribute nd i think would be a perfect back-up/3rd option in the middle. When we wanted another C early in the season when Andrew wasn't playing D and contributing. Shaq had everything we were asking for. Defensive presence, size, defensive rebounding, weak side help, plays low post almost 90% of time and lives off dunks and put backs no. Still a dominant presence in the paint.

As far as his stats. Bynum 30mins/15ppg/8.5rpg/1.8bpg Shaq 23mins/12.7ppg/6.7rpg/1.3bpg If you equate the two on an even level. Shaq would have had 30mins/15+ppg/8.4rpg/1.7bpg. As far as stats he masures up to Bynum. He played only about 50 games due to a thumb injury. Given also Bynum shoots at 75% from the line which is great IMO for a big. Shaq struggles at 56%. Strong stat against.

The negatives are obviously, the way in which Shaq left and 'slagged' Kobe and the FO. There needs to be some serious butt kissing and forgiveness.

Shaq would have to take the Min for this to happen an i'm not sure he would anyways. But other teams won't have huge $$$ to offer him either.

He would be a great playing addition, but I'm torn on the big mouth and water under the bridge issues.

lakers4sho
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I think it depends on the coach. If Phil (or whoever) can control Shaqtus, then we should be fine.

The Raven
06-28-2010, 02:36 AM
AS long as Kobe gives the OK, then by all means allow shaq to come off the bench for us. He'd certainly be able to helo