PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: How Kobe inspired a young Messi

static_inferno
06-26-2010, 10:40 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/how-kobe-inspired-a-young-messi--fbintl_ro-kobemessi062610.html

With a few casual words, spaced between bites of his lunch, Kobe Bryant chalked up an assist in helping modern soccer’s greatest player achieve his full potential.

It was the 2008 Beijing Olympics and Bryant, just a few days short of leading basketball’s Team USA to the gold medal, spotted some members of the Argentina men’s soccer team huddled around a table in an athletes village food court.

“Where’s Messi?” Bryant demanded. “I want to see Lionel Messi.”

Seeing how it's a couple days until free agency mania, and how the world is caught up in the World Cup, I think this article shows how much of an influence Kobe has on the sports world. It's just talent recognizing other talent.

KillaInstinct24
06-26-2010, 10:45 PM
If Kobe was 5'10'' he'd be playing for Team USA soccer lol

Avenged
06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
“Meeting Kobe, it made me think about who he is and what he has achieved,” Messi said. “Even when he got to a very high level of success it was not enough. He continued to push himself and challenge himself. That is a great mentality for an athlete to have. It makes you think, ‘If he has this kind of mentality, why not me, too?’

“I love football and I am driven to improve, but yes, I think it did give me a little extra inspiration.”

:clap:

_KB24_
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Found this today in Yahoo. Kobe met Messi back in Beijing during the Olympics and gave the kid a little pep talk. Ever since then, to note, Messi has been on a tear in the soccer world winning literally every individual and team award since.

“Meeting Kobe, it made me think about who he is and what he has achieved,” Messi said. “Even when he got to a very high level of success it was not enough. He continued to push himself and challenge himself. That is a great mentality for an athlete to have. It makes you think, ‘If he has this kind of mentality, why not me, too?’

“I love football and I am driven to improve, but yes, I think it did give me a little extra inspiration.”

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/how-kobe-inspired-a-young-messi--fbintl_ro-kobemessi062610.html

Raps18-19 Champ
06-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Messi is the man. Greatest football player right now. But I still got Cristiano Ronaldo cuz I'm he is "something else".

_KB24_
06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Messi is the man. Greatest football player right now. But I still got Cristiano Ronaldo cuz I'm he is "something else".

:confused: You got me confused man.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-26-2010, 11:04 PM
:confused: You got me confused man.

Messi is the greatest but I prefer to say that Cristiano Ronaldo is better even though I know Messi is better.

sargon21
06-26-2010, 11:06 PM
love messi and love kobe...

D Roses Bulls
06-26-2010, 11:11 PM
okay..... were goin to need a derrick rose thread soon. there have been enough LBJ and Kobe threads the past couple months.

_KB24_
06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
okay..... were goin to need a derrick rose thread soon. there have been enough LBJ and Kobe threads the past couple months.

Who? You mean Rajon Rondo? :p

aha I'm just busting your balls. He'll get his share due in no time.

numba1CHANGsta
06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Messi is the Kobe of soccer :)

junion
06-26-2010, 11:33 PM

A forum is for user created content. Make the thread about Derrick Rose instead of waiting for one, and your problem is solved.

Great athletes work hard.

Kakaroach
06-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I really don't know where this thread actually belongs, maybe the soccer forum?:laugh:

But yes, Lionel Messi is an absolute beast.

b_russ
06-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I decided not to go to college because Kobe inspired me...

Messi was going to amazing with or without Bryant's little chat. People act like when this stuff happens they're magically touched in some way to achieve a new level/strength/power/passion ,whatever you want to call it, that they would have never had if it didn't happened.

_KB24_
06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I really don't know where this thread actually belongs, maybe the soccer forum?:laugh:

But yes, Lionel Messi is an absolute beast.

Well, I was guessing that the soccer forum(never seen it) was all packed up with World Cup. And since I'm tired of people making threads with their teams featuring Lebron in them and proclaiming themselves dynasties, I just posted it here. :cool:

_KB24_
06-26-2010, 11:53 PM

Messi was going to amazing with or without Bryant's little chat. People act like when this stuff happens they're magically touched in some way to achieve a new level/strength/power/passion ,whatever you want to call it, that they would have never had if it didn't happened.

Inspiration can help my friend. Ever heard of the 95 Rugby World Cup? Biggest upset in sports history? One of the greatest moments this world has ever seen occurred during Mandela's speech to the team just before they began play.

To put in basketball terms, imagine the lowly New Jersey Nets (South Africa) beating the Lakers(New Zealand) for the championship.

Switch
06-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Quit hating. Messi was just inspired by Kobe thats all. He didn't say Kobe made me a better player or anything like that.

b_russ
06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Quit hating. Messi was just inspired by Kobe thats all. He didn't say Kobe made me a better player or anything like that.

My bad guys, it didn't come out right. It does seem like some people just believe that because a guy whispers into another guys ear that all the sudden they become a better player. I'm sure Messi was impressed by what Bryant had to say, but sometimes people people blow things out of the water and don't attribute what a guy like Messi had to do on his own to get where he's at today. Again, no hate on Bryant for trying to motivate another because that's great if he's willing to share what he has to offer, but it does get old when certain people will then link Person A's one time occurrence of advice ultimately to Person B's legacy. That is all :D

_KB24_
06-27-2010, 12:15 AM
My bad guys, it didn't come out right. It does seem like some people just believe that because a guy whispers into another guys ear that all the sudden they become a better player. I'm sure Messi was impressed by what Bryant had to say, but sometimes people people blow things out of the water and don't attribute what a guy like Messi had to do on his own to get where he's at today. Again, no hate on Bryant for trying to motivate another because that's great if he's willing to share what he has to offer, but it does get old when certain people will then link Person A's one time occurrence of advice ultimately to Person B's legacy. That is all :D

I think Messi's legacy has no threat of being overshadowed by this don't you think :laugh2:

Its all good.

RaiderLakersA's
06-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Again, no hate on Bryant for trying to motivate another because that's great if he's willing to share what he has to offer, but it does get old when certain people will then link Person A's one time occurrence of advice ultimately to Person B's legacy. That is all :D

I understand what you're saying. If someone other than Messi had said that Kobe's compliment is the reason why Messi vaulted to the position of the best player in the football world, you'd be right, and I'd support you.

However, it isn't some third party making misleading assertions. Messi is saying that Kobe's encouragement gave him the added motivation to be the best. I think we have to accept it as scripture.

Professional athletes are people, too. They are influenced by positive reinforcement like anyone else.

Think about it: Kobe Bryant at that time was arguably one of the most popular athletes in the world. Messi, by the author's assessment, hadn't quite made that same leap. He was coming on, for sure, but he wasn't there yet. To have a Kobe Bryant not only seek you out, but then tell you that you are already the best in his estimation must have been bananas for Messi.

I don't know what field you work in, but just imagine if the top person in your industry, someone who you don't think even knows your name, were to approach you and point you out for recognition, and speak to you as an equal. It's happened to me before, and let me tell you, that's powerful stuff, whether you know it or not.

IversonIsKrazy
06-27-2010, 01:35 AM
GO ARGENTINA!! :D

heres a good questions....

who do u think is better...
Kobe as an NBA player?
-or-
Messi as a FIFA/La Liga player?

Chacarron
06-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Two of the best at what they do. Incredibly the two have similar characteristics: natural leaders, can take over games when their teams need them to, have wore number 10 for their respective countries (remember Kobe wore it during the Olympics), the list goes on and on. I admire both tremendously.

Chacarron
06-27-2010, 01:49 AM
okay..... Were goin to need a derrick rose thread soon. There have been enough lbj and kobe threads the past couple months.

+1

ldc62
06-27-2010, 04:17 AM
I like Ronaldo more, but no doubt Messi is the best right now.

ldc62
06-27-2010, 04:17 AM
GO ARGENTINA!! :D

heres a good questions....

who do u think is better...
Kobe as an NBA player?
-or-
Messi as a FIFA/La Liga player?

Kobe... Messi is really young.

montazingmvp
06-27-2010, 04:49 AM
I understand what you're saying. If someone other than Messi had said that Kobe's compliment is the reason why Messi vaulted to the position of the best player in the football world, you'd be right, and I'd support you.

However, it isn't some third party making misleading assertions. Messi is saying that Kobe's encouragement gave him the added motivation to be the best. I think we have to accept it as scripture.

Professional athletes are people, too. They are influenced by positive reinforcement like anyone else.

Think about it: Kobe Bryant at that time was arguably one of the most popular athletes in the world. Messi, by the author's assessment, hadn't quite made that same leap. He was coming on, for sure, but he wasn't there yet. To have a Kobe Bryant not only seek you out, but then tell you that you are already the best in his estimation must have been bananas for Messi.

I don't know what field you work in, but just imagine if the top person in your industry, someone who you don't think even knows your name, were to approach you and point you out for recognition, and speak to you as an equal. It's happened to me before, and let me tell you, that's powerful stuff, whether you know it or not.

funny thing is, messie is twice as famous as kobe bryant now...

_KB24_
06-27-2010, 05:44 AM

Your joking right. Kobe's got all of China up his ***. Thats one country alone with over a billion people.

The Raven
06-27-2010, 06:56 AM
as much as i respect Messi, i hope Mexio crushed Argentina tomorrow

Stay_Swim
06-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I like Ronaldo more, but no doubt Messi is the best right now.

Im sorry but this argument is not even close. Ronaldo NEEDS good players around him to be successful. Messi does not. Plus I know they all complain a ton! But how can you even cheer for someone who complains more throughout a game then he actually kicks the ****ing ball.

Stay_Swim
06-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Thats the dumbest thingI've ever heard. Where is he more famous? Not in his own country?! Majority of the fans in Argentina don't even like dude. So again where are you getting this from?

magichatnumber9
06-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Who? You mean Rajon Rondo? :p

aha I'm just busting your balls. He'll get his share due in no time.Leave Rondo out of this mess

montazingmvp
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Your joking right. Kobe's got all of China up his ***. Thats one country alone with over a billion people.

you think messi doesn't...? soccer is infinitely more popular than basketball. isn't even close. therefore more people are going to be familiar with the face of soccer as oppposed to the face of basketball...use a little common sense

montazingmvp
06-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Thats the dumbest thingI've ever heard. Where is he more famous? Not in his own country?! Majority of the fans in Argentina don't even like dude. So again where are you getting this from?

what the **** are you talking about? messi not liked by in his own country?...you're nuts

messi is more recognized than kobe in pretty much every country in the world...you do realize people in most of europe, asia, africa, and south america don't even follow the nba. the only time anyone in the rest of the world follows kobe at all is during the olympics...

these people would have to stay up 'til 4 in the morning just to watch the typical nba game.

if you honestly think kobe is more famous worldwide than messi then you're living in delussions of grandeur....i've lived in england and the average person there couldn't even put a face to kobe's name...this is what its like in most of the world. you should really get out there, and step outside of you bubble. because america is not the world...