PDA

View Full Version : i hope the 2010 free agency doesn't set a dangerous precedence

FOBolous
06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
You have all these superstars who leave their team in search of a bigger paycheck. I hope all good young players don't start doing that because lebron did it. It would be nice to have a superstar player that's loyal to the team that drafted them like how yao, Duncan, and Jordan is/was, grow as part of the team, and become a part of the city they play in.

Hustla23
06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Uhhhhh...... I'm sure Lebron isn't leaving his team for a bigger paycheck.

In fact, it is impossible for ANOTHER team to offer Lebron any more than his own home team.

It's called bird rights. While other teams can offer the maximum level salary with 8.5 % increases over 5 years, the home team can offer 6 years with 10% increases.

But if a sign and trade were to occur, the other team would still only be able to offer AS MUCH as the home team.

ManRam
06-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Duncan and Jordan were on good teams, with good front offices and in a place where winning was a possibility.

A lot of these free agents are not. They aren't setting a precedent, they are just looking for the best place for them...and it's not all about the money (especially since their own teams can actually offer them the most).

Why should guys like Bosh and LeBron be loyal to their teams? Sure, they've drafted and paid them, but so would every other team in the league. If the front office hasn't proved they can put a winning team on the court, then why bother staying?

And they aren't setting a precedence...this has been the case for a long time. There are literally hundreds of players who have left there teams for greener pastures in the past. Shaq, T-Mac, Divac, Dikembe...the list literally goes on and on.

I don't get this thread.

Hustla23
06-26-2010, 08:45 PM
The thread would make sense if he was complaining about players not staying loyal to their team and not staying there for the length of their careers.

But he's complaining about players leaving teams for a bigger paycheck, wherein 2010 is concerned, that's just not the case. :confused:

IndiansFan337
06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
You have all these superstars who leave their team in search of a bigger paycheck. I hope all good young players don't start doing that because lebron did it. It would be nice to have a superstar player that's loyal to the team that drafted them like how yao, Duncan, and Jordan is/was, grow as part of the team, and become a part of the city they play in.

The NBA has restrictions on salaries, so these guys aren't doing this just to get a bigger paycheck. They are looking for winning situations.

B-Ray
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Precedent not Precedence