PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Hayward

MurderousPress
06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
How good of an NBA player do you think he will be? Are the Jazz justified in taking him 9th overall?

asandhu23
06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
All I know is he is going to need to gain a lot of muscle lol.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-26-2010, 08:17 PM
He looks like a Jazz type player. I think he would be a solid role player off the bench.

shep33
06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
He looks like a Jazz type player. I think he would be a solid role player off the bench.

Haha yeah he's white.

MurderousPress
06-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, he did light it up in the tournament. Did he play like a beast during the regular season? I see his stats, but I'm wondering if anyone actually watched him play?

I agree, he does need to gain a lot of muscle.

I disagree about the role player off the bench. I think if you draft someone 9th overall you're looking for someone who can be a solid starter/contributor at some point. Right?

shep33
06-26-2010, 08:31 PM
But in all honesty, I like his game, but I thought #9 was very high for him, in fact I don't see why Utah couldn't have traded to get 2 picks in the first round.

And really this pick made absolutely no sense to me. If Boozer is leaving, and Okur is frequently hurt, why not draft an Ed Davis, Cole Aldrich or Patrick Patterson. They need size to beat the Lakers, and they don't have it.

With Hayward at #9, I woulda actually taken Xavier Henry ahead of him if we're talking about position players.

Again I hope he does well, I like the kid, but if your a GM looking at this it does seem kinda strange.

shep33
06-26-2010, 08:36 PM
When is he going to play if they've already got AK, CJ Miles, Korver (if he resigns), Wes Matthews?

jimbobjarree
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I also wanted Henry, but we have Hayward now and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Once you get past all the reverse-racism of oh he's white= unathletic/lame I think he's a solid pick. Great basketball IQ, greta ball handling/playmaking skills, can shoot, athletic and an above average defender. Needs to add muscle, but who doesnt?

our wings right now are wes matthews, CJ Miles, AK47 and Hayward. Korver wont be back, someone will offer good money for him and he's not worth keeping. And honestly, I think we trade AK's big expiring for a big anyway.

MurderousPress
06-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, but when was the last time the Jazz made a bad decision in the draft? They must know something we don't. I heard he is way more athletic than everyone thought. I really hope he has a productive career, I like him.

As for trading for a few draft picks, I bet the pacers would have picked him up if the Jazz didn't.

Sixerlover
06-26-2010, 08:52 PM
They should've drafted Henry. He was far and away the better talent.

Lo Porto
06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I wanted Henry, but I'm very happy with Hayward. The kid has got the entire skill set needed to excel at the wing in the NBA. He rebounds very well for a wing. 8.2 a game is very impressive. He'll be a good player in the league.

Bob_at_york
06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
When is he going to play if they've already got AK, CJ Miles, Korver (if he resigns), Wes Matthews?

i think it was JVG who said that he could see AK at PF next season.

Nighthawk
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
But in all honesty, I like his game, but I thought #9 was very high for him, in fact I don't see why Utah couldn't have traded to get 2 picks in the first round.

And really this pick made absolutely no sense to me. If Boozer is leaving, and Okur is frequently hurt, why not draft an Ed Davis, Cole Aldrich or Patrick Patterson. They need size to beat the Lakers, and they don't have it.

With Hayward at #9, I woulda actually taken Xavier Henry ahead of him if we're talking about position players.

Again I hope he does well, I like the kid, but if your a GM looking at this it does seem kinda strange.

Boozer is leaving and they have Millsap to fill in and hes going to be great.

Hayward is going to be good for the Jazz. Learning under Sloan will be great for him. I think he;ll come off the bench but he could definitely earn a starting role if he stays focused. Not a strange pick at all. Utah has a great system and he'll fit in nicely. This dude gets underrated because he looks like hes 12 and should be playing in a rec league not the NBA. But this kid can flat out ball.

celtsballa21
06-26-2010, 09:26 PM
You can't find a player any more like AK47. Will be a great replacement for him in the future.

Corey
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
You can't find a player any more like AK47. Will be a great replacement for him in the future.

:confused:

His game is almost nothing like AK47's.

netsgiantsyanks
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
the jazz picked him on purpose so the pacers couldnt

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM

His game is almost nothing like AK47's.

He was talking about him being white I think LMAO.

Bob_at_york
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
He was talking about him being white I think LMAO.

then maybe he should have been compared to Kyle Korver or Jeff Hornacek.

BradyIsTheMan12
I don't think Hayward will be bad but they could have made a better pick. He's not as un-athletic as some believe though.

The Jokemaker
Hayward is going to be a good player in this league. He knows how to play the game and will have an excellent coach teaching him. As long as he performs his role, he'll do great. I look for him to match what Korver was to the Jazz and more.

Giantwarrior
06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Hayward will be average at best. it will take him a long time to figure it out, he's a mike dunleavey jr 2.0

Kakaroach
06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I see a lot of different opinions, much like in the Jazz forum. All I can hope for is that Sloan can groom him into a potential starter for this team or at least a good impact player off of the bench.

ThaBoomer
06-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Hayward only shot 29% from 3 last year. To me he seems like more of a scorer than a shooter. Without Boozer down low, there is no offensive presence to require extra defensive attention and I think Hayward will have a hard time getting his shot off against quicker, more physical defenders. The fans booed the selection here in Salt Lake City. Jazz management is saying they believe he was the best available player, but he doesn't help them get bigger or better against the big and athletic teams in the West, so most of the fans are pretty discouraged with the pick.

BkOriginalOne
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Generally, the Jazz don't make dumb draft picks.
I don't think Gordon is a bad pick, but I'm not sure how good he is gonna be.
With that, I hope he is good.

b_russ
06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but when was the last time the Jazz made a bad decision in the draft? They must know something we don't. I heard he is way more athletic than everyone thought. I really hope he has a productive career, I like him.

As for trading for a few draft picks, I bet the pacers would have picked him up if the Jazz didn't.

2007: Morris Almond, 25th
2004: Kris Humpries, 14th / Kirk Snyder, 16th
2003: Sasha Pavlovic, 19th
2002: Curtis Borchardt, 18th
2001: Raul Lopez, 24th

shall I go on?

emman03
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
because jerry sloan like white guys.....

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 10:18 PM

shall I go on?

Umm you do know we only have 1 (2 now) lottery players on our team right? And that we are a 50+ win team every season?

Most teams could list more than 5 players that didn't pan out in the 1st round in the past 9 years...we have one of the best drafting records in the NBA, don't hate.

Sixerlover
06-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Umm you do know we only have 1 (2 now) lottery players on our team right? And that we are a 50+ win team every season?

Most teams could list more than 5 players that didn't pan out in the 1st round in the past 9 years...we have one of the best drafting records in the NBA, don't hate.

Did you guys draft Okur? Because I see Deron Williams and AK on that roster that really "panned out" other than that I can't see how you have one of the best drafting records in the NBA.

iggypop123
06-26-2010, 10:28 PM
all i know is he will fit in the city of salt lake city very well

Raoul Duke
06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Meh. I never think much of white guys who come into the NBA as sub-par athletes and hustle guys. Maybe he'll surprise me.

dbeastly
How good of an NBA player do you think he will be? Are the Jazz justified in taking him 9th overall?

They drafted him because three quarters of Utah's population is Moorman(idk if that's how it's spelled) and they wouldn't be able to appease their fans with an "African American Player" haha.

shep33
Boozer is leaving and they have Millsap to fill in and hes going to be great.

Hayward is going to be good for the Jazz. Learning under Sloan will be great for him. I think he;ll come off the bench but he could definitely earn a starting role if he stays focused. Not a strange pick at all. Utah has a great system and he'll fit in nicely. This dude gets underrated because he looks like hes 12 and should be playing in a rec league not the NBA. But this kid can flat out ball.

I hear ya brother, the guy seemed very athletic to me when I saw him play in the tourney. Good handle, very good overall player, I really like him. But I dunno I just don't like him with the Jazz, they seem to have a ton of wing players, so maybe they trade away AK or something to give him more playing time.

This is the problem I have with the pick though. Obviously the team to beat in the west is the Lakers, and last time I recall LA dominated them 3 years in a row in the postseason. The only chance some teams have against LA is to match their size to a degree.

Replacing Boozer with Millsap, still creates a very very small frontline, and one that is very very thin in depth. Gasol, Bynum, and Odom are just going to dominate that frontcourt of the Jazz. I'm just saying IMO, I woulda drafted a big like Ed Davis, Cole Aldrich or Patt Patterson, to maybe at least somewhat match the length of the Lakers and other teams out west.

I like Hayward a lot, class act, and i think he's gonna be a solid player, and i'll like him a lot more if Utah trades away one of their guards/SF's for size at the 4 or 5. I thought Henry has a bigger upside, but hey the Jazz have scouts and the personnel to make that decision so I can't really argue against them.

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Did you guys draft Okur? Because I see Deron Williams and AK on that roster that really "panned out" other than that I can't see how you have one of the best drafting records in the NBA.

We drafted Mo Williams, AK, Millsap, Miles, and Dee Brown (who would be a stud if he was in the NBA) all in the second round or late first.

And most of the time when we did draft bad we traded those bad players for good ones >.>

EDIT: and notice I didn't say all of the studs we drafted were still on the team.

Sixerlover
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
We drafted Mo Williams, AK, Millsap, Miles, and Dee Brown (who would be a stud if he was in the NBA) all in the second round or late first.

And most of the time when we did draft bad we traded those bad players for good ones >.>

EDIT: and notice I didn't say all of the studs we drafted were still on the team.

I don't see any "studs" on that list.

I'm not saying Utah does a bad job drafting, but it looks like they draft better in the 2nd round than the 1st.

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 10:55 PM
lol @ jeremy evans :facepalm:

b_russ
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't see any "studs" on that list.

I'm not saying Utah does a bad job drafting, but it looks like they draft better in the 2nd round than the 1st.

That's what I was getting at too. Over the past ten year's Utah's been brilliant in the second round or at least acquiring 2nd rounders through free agency (Mo Williams, Millsap, Boozer, Okur, ect.) But for the most part Kevin O'Connor has sucked with his 1st round selections, not necessarily what he's ultimately done with them through trades and so forth.

Also a good point that has been brought up in the Jazz forum is in selecting a non-big, this puts the pressure back on Boozer to decide whether or not he actually wants to stay in Utah like he says or turn in to the hypocrite two free agencies in a row (remember Cleveland?)

Anyway, Hayward's going to be decent, but his upside is very obscure. If he turns out he really could be one of the biggest steals in the draft (and save O'Connor his job.)

b_russ
06-26-2010, 11:13 PM
They drafted him because three quarters of Utah's population is Moorman(idk if that's how it's spelled) and they wouldn't be able to appease their fans with an "African American Player" haha.

Dude that's so funny! Remember how when Malone was in Utah and how those moomoons hated him so bad!!! LMFAO!!! Or dude, remember when they drafted D-Will and they freaked out because he had tattoos and wasn't white?!?!

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 11:16 PM
That's what I was getting at too. Over the past ten year's Utah's been brilliant in the second round or at least acquiring 2nd rounders through free agency (Mo Williams, Millsap, Boozer, Okur, ect.) But for the most part Kevin O'Connor has sucked with his 1st round selections, not necessarily what he's ultimately done with them through trades and so forth.

Also a good point that has been brought up in the Jazz forum is in selecting a non-big, this puts the pressure back on Boozer to decide whether or not he actually wants to stay in Utah like he says or turn in to the hypocrite two free agencies in a row (remember Cleveland?)

Anyway, Hayward's going to be decent, but his upside is very obscure. If he turns out he really could be one of the biggest steals in the draft (and save O'Connor his job.)

Millsap and Mo-Will were drafted with our picks but anyway...

I do like this pick though because while our #1 need is bigs so that we can compete with the Lakers, the only ones really available at #9 were Aldrich, Patterson, and Davis, and neither Patterson or Davis help us AT ALL against LA (both very undersized) and I'd rather not trust Ostertag 2.0 (I know, overused comparison) to take us over the LA hump >.>

b_russ
06-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Millsap and Mo-Will were drafted with our picks but anyway...

Yeah our 2nd round picks. All I'm saying is O'Connors reputation with his 1st round selections isn't very impressive.

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Ah I see.

iam brett favre
06-26-2010, 11:45 PM
larry bird's shot with charles barkley's charisma

Penetra8r
06-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I hope the kid lights up the court

Mudvayne91
06-27-2010, 02:14 AM
I want to know where all the Jazz music is in Utah.

bleedprple&gold
06-27-2010, 05:24 AM
I want to know where all the Jazz music is in Utah.

They were originally the New Orleans Jazz (can't tell if you're being sarcastic)

COBY KARL
06-27-2010, 06:36 AM
He's Chase Budinger 2.0 with less hops

The Raven
06-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Dan Patrick seems to think he has bust written all over him. Just judging on appearance though, i suspect he's gonna fit right in in Utah

Stay_Swim
06-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Dan Patrick is a *** who got kicked down a waterslide in the movie Grown Ups. (not the worst movie I've ever seen)

Anyways... I thought that he had the potential to be a bust, but playing in Utah will fit him perfectly. Needs to work on the J, but tht will come. Him and D-Will will be nasty.

SeoulBeatz
06-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Meh. I never think much of white guys who come into the NBA as sub-par athletes and hustle guys. Maybe he'll surprise me.

ha way to be ignorant without knowing **** about the player.
he's actually athletic. people assume he's not cause he's white but if u watched butler last year and read the scouting report, dude can jump.

Lo Porto
06-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Brewer was a good pick. Mo Williams was a stud for us before we couldn't afford him. DeShawn Stevenson is still in the league. Pavlovic had a good run. Maynor will be a good NBA player but we had to trade him due to finances.

Utah's track record is as good or better than any team in the league.

Lo Porto
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Landry Fields vs Gordon Hayward

Hayward.......................... Fields
age 20 ................................ 21
Height w/o shoes 6'6.75............ 6'6.50'
Weight 211 ........................ 216
Wingspan 6'7.75' .................. 6'9.50'
standing reach 8'7" ............... 8'8.50'
Vert 34.5........................... 39.0

PPG 15.5 .......... 22.0
REB 8.2 .......... 8.8
Assts 1.7 .......... 2.9
Stls 1.1 .......... 1.6
Blks 0.8.......... 0.8
T.o's 2.3.......... 2.6

FG% 46.4 .......... 49.0
3p% 29.4 .......... 33.7
FT% 82.9 .......... 69.6

Fields Stanford Pac 10 ranked 9th
Hayward Butler Horizans League ranked 12th

why was he picked 9th again?

Because you don't draft players off of measurements. You draft off of the ability to play the game. If you drafted off of measurements, Paul Millsap, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird and many others would have never been given a chance. Some players just make plays. Some guys are just good players. I'm not saying Hayward will be that good, but he could be. Measurements can be very, very overrated. Ever heard of Tyrus Thomas or Stromile Swift?

MurderousPress
06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

shall I go on?

Hahaha. I guess, being a Toronto Raptors fan, I only see the gem's (i.e. CJ/Brewer/Millsap) that the Jazz manage to pick up. I was wrong. Thanks for the information. Although, compared to the Raps, you guy's do great!

MurderousPress
06-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Landry Fields vs Gordon Hayward

Hayward.......................... Fields
age 20 ................................ 21
Height w/o shoes 6'6.75............ 6'6.50'
Weight 211 ........................ 216
Wingspan 6'7.75' .................. 6'9.50'
standing reach 8'7" ............... 8'8.50'
Vert 34.5........................... 39.0

PPG 15.5 .......... 22.0
REB 8.2 .......... 8.8
Assts 1.7 .......... 2.9
Stls 1.1 .......... 1.6
Blks 0.8.......... 0.8
T.o's 2.3.......... 2.6

FG% 46.4 .......... 49.0
3p% 29.4 .......... 33.7
FT% 82.9 .......... 69.6

Fields Stanford Pac 10 ranked 9th
Hayward Butler Horizans League ranked 12th

why was he picked 9th again?

Carried his team to the National Championship game...........I don't even know who this guy is

Raoul Duke
06-27-2010, 10:40 AM
ha way to be ignorant without knowing **** about the player.
he's actually athletic. people assume he's not cause he's white but if u watched butler last year and read the scouting report, dude can jump.

Every time anyone talks about him on ESPN they say "and he's more athletic than most people think". That isn't something you say about a great athlete.

fadedmario
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Does Hayward shoot with his right hand or left

Hawkeye15
06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
He was a reach at #9. Typical mid major player who had a great tournament, raising his draft stock. And with Korver there, really don't get the pick.
As for Hayward's transition into the NBA, I think he is going to have a very hard time defending SF's, but is a good shooter who crashes the glass, and will get to the line. I think Mike Miller is what he will become

jbeezy
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
That dude is a very good shooter. Also hes an All-Star at camping, almost as good at Sasha Vujacic in that department. :p

nuggetsyankees
06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
i see him as the next Joe Alexander

aerion123
06-27-2010, 11:34 AM
He sort of reminds me of Manu a little.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
No offense, but how many Adam Morrisons and Joel Alexanders do we have to see before we admit that these types of players don't typically have careers worthy of where they're picked?

Big Quett
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Good point but i guarantee you have never seen Fields play. Unless you live near Stamford.

Here some more measurables
@Kentucky 23Pts 13rebs 4stls

@UCLA 35pts 8rebs

@Washington 20pts 14rebs

@Arizona 31pts 11rebs

@USC 27pts 11rebs

I think the point here is that after about pick 5 you are pretty much tossing darts in the dark

Yeah and you forgot to mention a few things

@Kentucky Loss
@UCLA Loss
@Washigton Loss
@Arizona Loss
@USC Loss

so whats your point? and 3 of the 4 didnt even make the tournament

Jays Claw
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Bust.

He'll see limited playing time because of the massive depth Jerry Sloan has. This guy would have to play his way in front of C.J Miles, Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Price and Andrei Kirilenko.

Mudvayne91
06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
They were originally the New Orleans Jazz (can't tell if you're being sarcastic)

haha, yeah, i know. i'm not too crazy about the Jazz. they really should change their name though.

chipurmunki
07-06-2010, 06:40 PM
yeah, dwill and brewer were not good picks :) stevenson is a decent role player, same with pavlovic, almond is nonexistent, same with humphries, koufos' verdict is still out (bust so far tho), and maynor has a promising career

how in the world can you say utah has failed in the first round for the past decade? they're a solid B, maybe a B-

imo, dwill makes up any and every lackluster pick....

chipurmunki
07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Bust.

He'll see limited playing time because of the massive depth Jerry Sloan has. This guy would have to play his way in front of C.J Miles, Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Price and Andrei Kirilenko.

um, no. korver won't be back, price is a pg, and AK might see more time at PF than SF. and playing in front of cj will not be hard.

97NYer
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Hayward will start for the Jazz. His competition is Miles and AK47 (Who will see a lot of minuted at the 4)

jimbobjarree
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I like the look of him so far. He's patient, good IQ and he can shoot the ball. Once he gets a bit of muscle on and becomes more assertive I think he'll be a solid pick for us.

DerekRE_3
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I like Hayward :hide: Like Jimbob said, he plays within himself and plays smart. Once he has Deron creating open shots for him he's gonna look even better.

thescore53
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
No offense, but how many Adam Morrisons and Joel Alexanders do we have to see before we admit that these types of players don't typically have careers worthy of where they're picked?

DerekRE_3
07-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Who white people?

thescore53
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Who white people?

i just copy and pasted someone elses remarks, it's like retweeting on twitter

DerekRE_3
07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
i just copy and pasted someone elses remarks, it's like retweeting on twitter

Plagiarism!!!

thescore53
07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
no im just to dumb to post my own ideas

jimbobjarree
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
figured

thescore53
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
word

CubsRock2007
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
They said Reggie Miller needed to gain muscle, too... if the kid can play, he can play.

drobe86
07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
The next great white hope. He will be Adam Morrison at BEST.....

Sixerlover
07-06-2010, 08:07 PM
^ Watch your keyboard. Adam Morrison has 2 count em, 2 championship rings! Who else from that draft class has any?? I'll wait.

Adam Morrison > Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, JJ Redick, Tyrus Thomas!

GST4TE
07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
They said Reggie Miller needed to gain muscle, too... if the kid can play, he can play.

Did you just compare Hayward to Reggie?

DerekRE_3
07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
^ Watch your keyboard. Adam Morrison has 2 count em, 2 championship rings! Who else from that draft class has any?? I'll wait.

Agreed.

Mplsman
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM

I agree and that's about as good as he will get.

drobe86
07-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He has 2 championship rings and probably hadnt played 2 minutes for the lakers in both seasons. what a bum....