PDA

View Full Version : What type of minor league pitcher would you rather have?

kyubi256
06-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Lets say you just drafted or signed a pitcher to be in your minor leagues... the next jewel of your franchise and you are expecting big things from him for many years to come... Hypothetically who would you rather the pitcher be?

Player A: One elite pitch and a few average to below average pitches (which are developing). Can be like a Harvey or Mejia with a good fastball/cutter but the other pitches are not even close to being on par... He has one elite offering that can dominate in the majors but his secondary are just not up to par... Basically he either has a Verlander type fastball, a curveball similar to Zito/Strasburg, a cutter similar to Mariano, a Johan-type changeup, or etc. He has that one elite elite pitch. His other pitches are developing but probably will not be better than average offerings.

Would you rather have

Player B: He has three or more above average pitches. None are elite but they are above average compared to other major league pitchers... So lets say he has a fastball around 92-95 with decent movement, he has a good changeup with downward action, and he has a good breaking pitch that can get guys out. They are above average offerings, not average so he can be something special in the majors... But none are elite, none are signature pitches.

Basically both pitchers have as good of a chance as each other to be an ace, but who would you rather have to be the "big" prospect on your team?

TheHughesUnit
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
A, since at worst you're going to have an elite closer. I'd rather have a Mo, Soria, etc type player than an Ian Kennedy.

kyubi256
06-26-2010, 07:02 PM
^Not true... a guy named Kyle Farnsworth is an example of someone with an elite pitch who just never worked out

TheHughesUnit
06-27-2010, 01:29 AM
^Not true... a guy named Kyle Farnsworth is an example of someone with an elite pitch who just never worked out

Farnsworth when he had his fastball was pretty good...

Bryrob58
06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Lets say you just drafted or signed a pitcher to be in your minor leagues... the next jewel of your franchise and you are expecting big things from him for many years to come... Hypothetically who would you rather the pitcher be?

Player A: One elite pitch and a few average to below average pitches (which are developing). Can be like a Harvey or Mejia with a good fastball/cutter but the other pitches are not even close to being on par... He has one elite offering that can dominate in the majors but his secondary are just not up to par... Basically he either has a Verlander type fastball, a curveball similar to Zito/Strasburg, a cutter similar to Mariano, a Johan-type changeup, or etc. He has that one elite elite pitch. His other pitches are developing but probably will not be better than average offerings.

Would you rather have

Player B: He has three or more above average pitches. None are elite but they are above average compared to other major league pitchers... So lets say he has a fastball around 92-95 with decent movement, he has a good changeup with downward action, and he has a good breaking pitch that can get guys out. They are above average offerings, not average so he can be something special in the majors... But none are elite, none are signature pitches.

Basically both pitchers have as good of a chance as each other to be an ace, but who would you rather have to be the "big" prospect on your team?

I personally would take A, just because the potential for greatness is there. If he can master one pitch, he could end up having 3 great ones. But, hitters could sit on his only great pitch on 3 ball counts and knock it over the fence every time... Pitcher B made me think of Shaun Marcum; all scouts ever said when he was a prospect was how he had a bunch of "good" pitches but not a great one. Obviously he knows how to get guys out so B might be the safer pick.

Shadee
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I like B too got to have some variety.

CamraMaan
07-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I'd prefer a Felix with three elite pitches, but if I had to pick A or B, I go with B. Success as a pitcher isn't just your stuff, but your ability to outsmart the batter and toy with them and deceive them, and control your stuff... assuming both A and B have the right mentality to succeed, I take B every time... simply more (quantity) effective tools to work with. Pitcher A, like mentioned before, has the potential to be a guy who batters just sit on their elite pitch, knowing its going to come sooner or later. Pitcher A will be a great reliever at best, not an ace starter unless they have other above average pitches. Cliff Lee is a great B example... Mariano Rivera is a great A example in my book. Both are very valuable, but I take Lee if I have the choice.

brewersfan729
07-05-2010, 06:40 PM
B.

Three good pitches >>> one elite pitch with average at best pitches.

patsspurscubs
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
A, since at worst you're going to have an elite closer. I'd rather have a Mo, Soria, etc type player than an Ian Kennedy.

this

kyubi256
07-09-2010, 11:51 PM
exactly the talk here isn't that you have 3 average pitches. It is 3 good pitches that are above average.

So that is basically like a Matt Cain type

vladdy#27
07-15-2010, 11:57 PM
i would take option #2

chmcg723
07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
this

agreed. One elite is better than uncertainty

sox_fan_35_2000
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I like choice B) assuming he can throw 3 pitches for strike consistently and stay away from the walk.

Jeffy25
09-13-2010, 02:17 AM
I want A. Those pitches can develop, an elite pitch likely won't ever be developed.

TRUTH-TELLER
10-12-2010, 11:43 PM
ill take curtain #2

VRP723
10-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Good question. I think it depends on the franchise, which is why teams like the Pirates end up missing on so many top picks. A team like the Yankees can easily afford to take a chance on Player A, but if you're the Pirates you probably have to go Player 2, less likely to bust.