PDA

View Full Version : What is the most important position in basketball?

Lakeshow86
06-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Is it the 1,2,3,4 or 5. I think the 4 and 5, especially 5 is the most important. The reason being is there are usually very few good bigmen in the league and they shoot at a high % and rebound and this gives the other team less chances to score. If you look at all of the NBA champions most of them had great bigmen. Lakers with Pau and Bynum. Spurs with Duncan and Robinson, lakers with Shaq, Lakers with Kareem, Lakers with Wilt, Celtics with Russel, Pistons with Ben and Sheed Wallace, Rockets with Hakeem, Lakers with Mican.

jrm2054
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
which ever spot on your team your star plays

Shahrose
06-26-2010, 02:28 PM
1---it all starts with your point guard

BlueJayFanDan
06-26-2010, 02:50 PM
You are gonna get killed without an elite center. Hard to win if you cant rebound.

Reyes6
06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I say SG... I mean Spurs play with Matt Bonner at Center.

PG doesn't necessarily equate to W's.

SF is usually defensive with a 3-pt shot, don't need more than that.

PF is ok, a hybrid of Center and Small forward.

All great teams have a solid SG.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-26-2010, 02:56 PM

cavs SG:Anthony Parker

Reyes6
06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Say what you want about AP, but he really isn't that bad of a player. He and West are solid SG's for any team.

evadatam5150
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Is it the 1,2,3,4 or 5. I think the 4 and 5, especially 5 is the most important. The reason being is there are usually very few good bigmen in the league and they shoot at a high % and rebound and this gives the other team less chances to score. If you look at all of the NBA champions most of them had great bigmen. Lakers with Pau and Bynum. Spurs with Duncan and Robinson, lakers with Shaq, Lakers with Kareem, Lakers with Wilt, Celtics with Russel, Pistons with Ben and Sheed Wallace, Rockets with Hakeem, Lakers with Mican.

None of the above.. The most important, if not compelling position in the game currently is the Official.. That's right, the zebra's unfortunately hold the power of balance in the NBA.. Just ask them.. :speechless:

*Silver&Black*
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Tell the Lakers that.

*Silver&Black*
06-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Spurs also have a guy at PF named Tim Duncan. I say a big man is the most important. Either PF or C.

SG gets you Nike deals and All-stars.

Reyes6
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
What position does David Stern play?

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Pg

*Silver&Black*
06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
What position does David Stern play?

Vince McMahon.

magichatnumber9
06-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Shooting Guard... Kobe, Jordan, ME

shep33
06-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Big men win championships, plain and simple.

Besides the Jordan Bulls what was the last team not to win without a very good big man.

Lakers 2 peat- Gasol, Bynum, Odom. Even though Kobe is the best player, the LA doesn't win without the big men on their team.

Celtics '08- KG at the end of his prime, dominant on defense, DPOY.

Spurs- Tim Duncan enough said

Rockets- Olajuwan

Lakers- Shaq

Pistons- Wallace & Wallace, Okur was on that team too for a bit

Fact of the matter is big men even if they're not the most dominant player on your team, they're the most important. Look who played in the finals this year, the 2 teams with the best frontcourts in basketball.

KG, Perk, Sheed, Big Baby
Bynum, Odom, Gasol

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 03:26 PM
There isn't the most important position. All of them are equally important, and can have an equal effect on their team.

Human FlameShld
06-26-2010, 03:26 PM
If your PG isn't a great passer, doesn't know how to run and offense and play some defense then I don't care who you have at C.

PG is essential you cannot win without one....C or PF would be second.

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Spurs also have a guy at PF named Tim Duncan. I say a big man is the most important. Either PF or C.

SG gets you Nike deals and All-stars.

Michael Jordan might have something to say about that.

dre1990
06-26-2010, 03:29 PM
they all have = importance

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Big men win championships, plain and simple.

Besides the Jordan Bulls what was the last team not to win without a very good big man.

Lakers 2 peat- Gasol, Bynum, Odom. Even though Kobe is the best player, the LA doesn't win without the big men on their team.

Celtics '08- KG at the end of his prime, dominant on defense, DPOY.

Spurs- Tim Duncan enough said

Rockets- Olajuwan

Lakers- Shaq

Pistons- Wallace & Wallace, Okur was on that team too for a bit

Fact of the matter is big men even if they're not the most dominant player on your team, they're the most important. Look who played in the finals this year, the 2 teams with the best frontcourts in basketball.

KG, Perk, Sheed, Big Baby
Bynum, Odom, Gasol

All those teams had fantastic guards as well, you have proven nothing.

NYMetros
06-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Yeah, Fisher really is the motor that makes the Lakers go.

There's no most important position. They're all equally imporant.

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
This is a ridiculous question that is always over analyized.

Late 80's Lakers: PG
90's Bulls: SG
80's Celtics: SF
00's Spurs: PF
60's Celtics: C

MacFitz92
06-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Fisher really is the motor that makes the Lakers go.

There's no most important position. They're all equally imporant.

Perfect example. Fisher was hands down the weakest starter on this year's Lakers team.

Bramaca
06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
A talented wing player (sg or sf) and a good defensive/rebounding big man (c or pf) are equally important. Great pg's don't generally win a team championships.

Jaydes
06-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Coach

/thread

RaiderLakersA's
06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Center. Easy.

alencp3
06-26-2010, 04:30 PM
You are gonna get killed without an elite center. Hard to win if you cant rebound.

Who is that on your sig?:drool::drool::drool::drool:

tr4shb0t
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Kind of a catch 22, but I'll say center: rebounds and defense.

The Jokemaker
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd say PF or C because of the impact they can have on offense and defense. A huge big man can cause havoc in the paint and can shoot a high percentage on offense.

Rex-Raptorz
06-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Sf by far.. you might have an all star pg but if you have an sf that can handle the ball and rebound it replaces what your missing for your positions EX: Carmelo, Lbj, Lamar and Hedo. You can win a ring without a real center the Lakers did with pau gasol a pf (yes i know Bynum barely played :P ) then theres San Antonio with Duncan thats a pf who won 2 rings this decade. At this point the majority of PFs can play center so Cs really aren't important anymore then theres 70 % of pgs in the nba could play or are playing sg . Derick Fisher played like a sg and thats why the Lakers won a ring . There barely any old school pass first point guards left so they lost the position has lost its value. In the 80's it was pg , in the 90s sg's and centers in the 2000s it was Pfs and now its sf that can shoot handle the ball and rebound

xabial
06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Big Men. Period. A PG is nothing without his team.

RaiderLakersA's
06-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Kind of a catch 22, but I'll say center: rebounds and defense.

Rebounds, defense, and high percentage shots. All reasons to tip the scales in a center's favor.

Bruno
06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Unless you have a SG or SF who's the best player in the game, you gotta go with the C. How many PGs have lead teams to championships compared to Bigs?

ldc62
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Team Sport...

tangent12
06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Without a doubt, point guard.

0nekhmer
06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd say everyone needs to be equally as important but ill answer your question with PG. if you have 5 players with equal attributes for their positions, the PG would be the most important. He has to facilitate the offense, and also stop the opposing PG from making plays. I think most of you fail to realize a superstar is a superstar and will carry the other 4 guys.

shep33
06-26-2010, 11:12 PM
All those teams had fantastic guards as well, you have proven nothing.

They had good guards, but not the best guards in the league by a longshot. Besides maybe Kobe. Look at these title winners in aspect of the question being asked:

Spurs- Parker, Ginobili= Good but in comparison to the question asked, Duncan is the most important

Rockets- Olajuwan- Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell, and an older Clyde Drexler. Again Olajuwan was the best and most important piece on that team by far

Lakers- Shaq- had Kobe and Shaw/Fisher. Kobe was great yes, but Shaq was dominant, putting up ridiculous numbers.

Celtics- KG- I don't like him, but he is the main reason why they won the ring in'08. DPOY, and he brought an intensity to that team that was seen in every player. Plus adding 15-20 ppg isn't bad either.

In the past 20 years the big man/men have been more important if you exclude Michael Jordan's Bulls.

shep33
06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
When was the last time a star pg won a title?

2010-Fisher
2009-Fisher
2008-Rondo, who was no where near as good as he is now.
2007-Parker, okay that one isn't bad. A lot of their success has to do with TD though, but I'll give the pg's that one
2006-Miami Heat- I have no idea who their pg was
2005-Spurs- Duncan was the man here
2004-Pistons, Billups was the best player. So that's 2.

From their on you have to go to 1990 when the Pistons won with Zeke.

So from 1990 till 2010, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, and Isiah Thomas were the only 'star' point guards to win a title. So in terms of winning rings, the pg position over the past 20 years hasn't been the most important in terms of the best player on the team being a pg.

Otherwise, Big Men, and Shooting Guards have dominated.

The Raven
06-27-2010, 07:19 AM
PG for the simple fact that everything runs through him