PDA

View Full Version : Rank Chris Bosh's free agent priorities

beasted86
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Over the past season Chris Bosh has said some very conflicting remarks about free agency. On one hand he says he wants to win, on another hand he says he wants to be the main centerpiece of a franchise and feels he's MVP caliber.

In case people have forgot about this video, NBA.com posted it again on 6/15: http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2010/06/15/20100615_bosh_free_agent.nba/

I think he makes it clear being the #1 while winning is more important than being part of a dynasty where he might be the 2nd or 3rd option. So how do you rank his priorities?

Sox Appeal
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
He seems to be pretty intent on following LeBron, so it appears after money, winning is his top priority.

beasted86
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
He seems to be pretty intent on following LeBron, so it appears after money, winning is his top priority.

Did he ever convey that in an interview with remarks as direct as what was posted above? or were they simply "sources"?

Aside from this interview, the next strongest sentiment Bosh has conveyed to the media is he's not such "good friends" with Wade or LeBron. You'd almost come away thinking he dislikes both of those guys.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
1st option.

That's why he's staying as a Raptor.

beasted86
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
1st option.

That's why he's staying as a Raptor.

I don't think so.

What I came away from that interview feeling was that Bosh has a huge ego and he thinks he's as good as LeBron & Wade, and that the only reason he hasn't had their same success is because Colangelo hasn't built a team around him. But he obviously in his mind thinks he's a franchise player, and a guy who can be the #1 option to lead a team to a championship.

I'm now kind of thinking whether he goes to the Bulls, Knicks, Nets, or even stays in Toronto, he wants lower tier guys like Joe Johnson to join up and doesn't want to play in LeBron or Wade's shadow. Almost rules out a S&T to the Lakers also.

... but who knows... maybe he has since changed his mind.

FutureGM
06-25-2010, 09:32 PM
This guy loves to play it off like he doesn't care about winning. If that were the case there would be no doubt of him staying in Toronto. Not only does the entire city like him but he has been and can be our number one option for a long time.

Long story short I'm pretty sure the odds are 80/20 he's gone. I just hate how long he is playing this out. Just work out a sign and trade already.

R_O_W_E
06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
He wants to do both. You can still build your individual legacy and win just like Gasol is showing in LA right now.

Bosh put up 24/10 in Toronto as the #1 option. I think he could put up 20/10 as a #2 option.

The only reasons Bosh would leave Toronto is because Toronto's roster is crap right now. Their owners haven't invested big time with the team like every other major NBA market's team has except the Clippers, and because Colangelo keeps getting a pass in NBA circles for his bad roster plan due to his dad. Outside of that Toronto offers him the opportunity to continue as the #1 option in his prime, and play in a major market as "the man".

Kyben36
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Ive heard tons of things, and im not sure anymore.

he has said he wants to win,
he has said he wants to be the guy
he has said that he likes every team avalible
he has said that his dream was to play with LEbron and WAde in MIami all together ( dont think lebron and wade will play together though )
HE has said his list includes almost every team with cap room

HOnestly. I dont know where. I think its between Miami and Chicago. but If he wants to be the guy, NY is the place for him. I just dont know if thats what he wants, if you ask me, you cant build a team around Bosh that wins. at least, not championship caliber. you need a #1, weather its Wade, Lebron, or I would even consider Rose to have #1 potential. But just cant see him bieng a #1, and wining a ring.

beasted86
06-25-2010, 09:55 PM
He wants to do both. You can still build your individual legacy and win just like Gasol is showing in LA right now.

Bosh put up 24/10 in Toronto as the #1 option. I think he could put up 20/10 as a #2 option.

That's what I'm thinking. If he comes to Miami to play with Wade, this might be "Wade County" but he'd still build himself a legacy by winning championships as one of the best players in the league....

But coming away from watching that interview how he continues to elaborate about being the man and being built around as a "centerpiece" it gives the impression he's not even trying to hear anything about Paul Gasol still being considered a top 3 post player in the NBA.

NYtilIdie
06-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Getting Paid
Getting Paid
Getting Paid
Getting a 6th year on his contract
Getting Paid even more
Becoming the "Man"
Winning

td0tsfinest
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Didn't he say he wants to be the "man", the type of player a team is built around, not a sidekick. Hoe does that equal him to being intent on following Lebron?

Gators123
06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Getting Paid
Getting Paid
Getting Paid
Getting a 6th year on his contract
Getting Paid even more
Becoming the "Man"
Winning

Agree

R_O_W_E
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
That's what I'm thinking. If he comes to Miami to play with Wade, this might be "Wade County" but he'd still build himself a legacy by winning championships as one of the best players in the league....

But coming away from watching that interview how he continues to elaborate about being the man and being built around as a "centerpiece" it gives the impression he's not even trying to hear anything about Paul Gasol still being considered a top 3 post player in the NBA.

Thats exactly why I dont think he goes to Miami because in Miami it is impossible to grab a piece of the spotlight away from Wade. Wade is "the man" down there and Bosh would just be the 2nd option. Miami is built for guys who aren't worried about that spotlight. I think they'll end up with both Joe Johnson & Amare Stoudemire. They each are around the same age as Wade, but they dont have a large enough ego or in the insecurity to feel they have to be "the man". Both guys have been star players but at this point I think they realize money is very important, but winning is too.

I think Bosh if he leaves Toronto ends up in New York if LeBron goes first. New York isn't as attached to LeBron as Miami is to Wade. Bosh knows if he goes to a place like NY hes walking into a situation where he will be viewed as a main entree instead of a side dish in Miami. LeBron is the superior player but Bosh's value would be as important in NY as his value in Toronto.

R_O_W_E
06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Didn't he say he wants to be the "man", the type of player a team is built around, not a sidekick. Hoe does that equal him to being intent on following Lebron?

1. If LeBron goes to Chicago, and Chicago works out a deal to acquire Bosh in a S&T. Bosh will be a sidekick in Chicago. He'll be the "forgotten but productive guy" playing 3rd fiddle to the LeBron/Rose show. Chicago can live with LeBron/Rose, Bosh would just be the piece that makes the potentially an All-Time Elite team.

2. If LeBron goes to Miami, and Miami works out a deal to acquire Bosh in a S&T. Bosh will be a sidekick in Miami. He'll be the "forgotten but productive guy" playing 3rd fiddle to the LeBron/Wade show. Just like in Chicago, Miami can live with LeBron/Wade(2 of the top 3 players in the NBA). The addition of Bosh would make them potentially an All-Time Elite team.

3. If LeBron goes to New York. Bosh has to go to New York. New York can't even be competitive with just LeBron because NY doesn't have anyone else in place. They positioned themselves to go after 2 Max FA's because they need Bosh just as much as they need LeBron. LeBron is the superior player, but Bosh will have to be just as productive due to the lack of any other options on that Knicks team.

4. If Bosh stays in Toronto. He remains "the man" but he will subject himself to wasting away several more years of his prime under the bad decision making in the Raptors FO. Its the ultimate loyal move and will put him on KG status with Raptors fans, but if I were Bosh I wouldn't sign a deal with Toronto unless they fire Colangelo.

ldc62
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
If Bosh really wants to win then he should join Wade or Lebron or go to the Bulls.

ink
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Well he figured out how to do his hair. Everything else is trivial in comparison. :shrug: I feel sorry for Bosh. Seriously. Part of him must know that you can't build a team around him so free agency is a chance to run away from being the "man" that he really isn't cut out to be.

This way he'll make more money and have less responsibility.

Kakaroach
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't think anybody can answer this question except for Chris Bosh, none of us are mind readers.

Gators123
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't think anybody can answer this question except for Chris Bosh, none of us are mind readers.

I new you were going to say that.

THE MTL
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
1. Getting a MAX contract (he wont play for any team that is not MAX)
2. Establishing himself as a true superstar (which requires a winning team)
3. Winning a championship

You see, Bosh def wants to win and that is VERY important to him however the way he wants to do it in my opinion is him being a 1/1a option on offense. He seems himself as a franchise player and someone you build around.

I compare him to two big men: Pau Gasol & Dirk Nowitski. I dont think Bosh wants to be in a Pau situation where everything runs thru the Alpha man (Kobe/Bron/Wade)

beasted86
06-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Thats exactly why I dont think he goes to Miami because in Miami it is impossible to grab a piece of the spotlight away from Wade. Wade is "the man" down there and Bosh would just be the 2nd option. Miami is built for guys who aren't worried about that spotlight. I think they'll end up with both Joe Johnson & Amare Stoudemire. They each are around the same age as Wade, but they dont have a large enough ego or in the insecurity to feel they have to be "the man". Both guys have been star players but at this point I think they realize money is very important, but winning is too.

I think Bosh if he leaves Toronto ends up in New York if LeBron goes first. New York isn't as attached to LeBron as Miami is to Wade. Bosh knows if he goes to a place like NY hes walking into a situation where he will be viewed as a main entree instead of a side dish in Miami. LeBron is the superior player but Bosh's value would be as important in NY as his value in Toronto.

Did you even believe yourself while you were typing this? :facepalm:

There's no chance whatsoever that Bosh goes to NY after LeBron signs and is considered a #1 option or "centerpiece" or "the man". Knick fans have been obsessed and praying for LeBron the past 2 straight seasons. Bosh is an afterthought in any scenario where he signs to a team that already has Kobe, LeBron, or Wade.

Going to NY with Joe Johnson would fall in line with his logic of wanting to be the main guy, but definitely not LeBron.

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I think he ends up in Miami with Dwade. A good city, making good money and a good chance to win. Best of all worlds.

blastmasta26
06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Bosh has been talking alot about wanting to be a centerpiece and he doesn't seem like he wants to be a sidekick to LBJ or D-Wade.

That would leave NY, where he could pair up with JJ, who is considered to be on a lower tier than Bosh.
Chicago could also work, with Rose and Bosh, but I don't know if Bosh would want to be with Rose and another max. They would probably have to use the rest of the cap space on guys like Ray Allen, Mike Miller, etc.

Winning seems insignificant to Bosh, since none of these teams look like championship squads. Wade plus atleast another max and another solid player in Miami will be hard to beat and LeBron will also be hard to beat depending on who he teams with.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-26-2010, 11:06 AM

The only reasons Bosh would leave Toronto is because Toronto's roster is crap right now. Their owners haven't invested big time with the team like every other major NBA market's team has except the Clippers, and because Colangelo keeps getting a pass in NBA circles for his bad roster plan due to his dad. Outside of that Toronto offers him the opportunity to continue as the #1 option in his prime, and play in a major market as "the man".

what do you smoke?? How is our roster crap what are you joking?? Do we look like the warriors to you?? We have 2 good PG's hopefully a SG in derozan for years to come a nice PF in bargs davis and amir johnson hoping he resigns..We have a decent bench in fact one of the best last year and we have Turk at SF..To top it off we have one of the youngest roster in the league and we were good so imagine now after a year or 2 in the league some of these young guys should be good and step up even if bosh is gone..Our only problem is C but im sure in a bosh S & T well get a big or something back and we just drafted alabi who in a year or 2 will become a good C..If you think the raptors roster is crap then you have no idea about basketball as a sport

GrumpyOldMan
06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
It is a really good question. What is more important to Bosh..winning or being "the man"? He's going to get his money in either scenerio, so for the real answer we will have to wait until he signs with someone. My money is on winning and him going to a team with either Lebron or Wade, but that's just me.