PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Pritchard Get Fired?

JasonJohnHorn
06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Firstly, I'm not even a Portland fan. Just a fan of the game, but over the last few seasons I have been very impressed with what Prichard has done with this Blazers squad. He's picked some great talent like Alridge and Roy, guys you can really build around, picked up some productive role players like Batun, Outlaw and Frenandez, a quailty big cheap in Howard who really came in handy when the front court went down with injuries, the rigged a trade that brought a great defensive/rebounding center in Marcus Camby to the team, and has a one of the best back-up centers in Przybilla and nobody can really blame him for the Greg Oden pick: everybody in the league would have picked him first overall, and he still has potential to be a huge presence in the interior. And he picked up Miller when he saw that Bayless was taking a little longer to develop than he thought.

So when he's done such a great job of building a team, making good draft pick, good signigns, getting talented young players, both stars and role players, brought in some vets to help the way, why is this guy getting fired? And if you are firing a guy, why the day before the draft? Why do you let the guy you are firing run yoru draft?

I think the guy has done a great job and proved to be one of the smarter minds in the fron office of this league. On a team like LA or NY where money isnt an issue, this guy could build a dynasty, and as it stand he has likely built a team that will be develop into a perenial contender.

anybody know what is going on here?

sixerszzz
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Because Greg Oden couldn't stay healthy.

Draco
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-trailblazers032210

might have something to do with the way he and his agent have conducted themselves with the business side of basketball.

RVN671
06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing last night when Stu Scott handed the mix over to the NEW blazer GM aka cap space expert.

(you link) That would be the only reason for this firing to make sense...I agree with you on the points you made about the excellent moves he's made via free agency and trade while clearing cap space too. And the point you made about how if he was in another franchise willing to spend, how he'd already have a dynasty in tact.

The game has changed indeed...it IS a Business.

Good post BTW. I appreciate the true nba fans who know more than the garbage the media portrays.

might have something to do with the way he and his agent have conducted themselves with the business side of basketball.

Raoul Duke
06-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Because he did a good job, but by all accounts he's kind of a prick, and so is Paul Allen. I guess there was one prick too many. Shame, because he did a good job.

JasonJohnHorn
06-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Interesting article. I imagine there are stories like that with every team that you never really hear to often, and its interesting to hear about the types of things off court that can really impact a franchise.

Its never a good idea to have a GM and a coach that arent on the same page, and its usually bad news for the GM if the GM and the owner arent on the same page.

Its too bad though, because he did make some great picks and solid moves. Perhaps he'll find work eslewhere soon, though with an article like that being published, i imagine his reputation has taken a dive.

AI4MVP
06-25-2010, 06:16 PM
there not going to find a better gm then him. dumbest firing ever

valade16
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing last night when Stu Scott handed the mix over to the NEW blazer GM aka cap space expert.

(you link) That would be the only reason for this firing to make sense...I agree with you on the points you made about the excellent moves he's made via free agency and trade while clearing cap space too. And the point you made about how if he was in another franchise willing to spend, how he'd already have a dynasty in tact.

The game has changed indeed...it IS a Business.

Good post BTW. I appreciate the true nba fans who know more than the garbage the media portrays.

I hope your not implying that Portland isn't willing to spend?!:confused:

They spend money like it's candy, they are one of, if not THE, most carefree spending franchise in the NBA.

magichatnumber9
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I love easy road trips out west. Thank You Paul Allen

MoBASS
06-25-2010, 07:34 PM

That is the most unprofessional article I've ever read. This guy calls himself a journalist? Couldve been written by Paul Allen's assistant.

Iodine
06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Because he choked out PJ Carlisimo

JWO35
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Very good GM, but most of the time you get the boot for people that you fail to either; Draft, Trade, Sign, etc.

dRa1niNg_ 3s
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Because he wasnt as good as Daryl Morey!! lol jk, i was very surprised when hearing about his firing hes a top 5 GM in the league in my book.

jim51990
06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
terrible move by portland best of luck to prichard. the fact that he still gave them a great draft while knowing he was already fried should make it extremely easy to get a new job

hotpotato1092
06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Sam Presti, Daryl Morey, R.C Buford, Geoff Petrie, Donnie Nelson, Pat Riley. That's the short list of GMs I consider on or above Pritchard's level (and no Lakers fans, stealing Pau Gasol doesn't get Mitch Kupchak on the list, same goes for Danny Ainge, no credit for hijacking KG and lucking into Phoenix wanting to sell Rondo to avoid luxury tax payments). The fact is he got fired because Paul Allen didn't want to give him the credit. When Portland had a great young nucleus with Roy and Aldridge and won the '07 lottery, everyone was saying what a great job Pritchard did building the team, Paul Allen wanted the credit. Ironically he did nothing to promote himself, by all accounts he's fairly humble and even brought his staff with him to the Sloan Conference at MIT because he thought they deserved the same credit as him. Paul Allen starting leaking negative rumors about him to the press months ago (like the contract issue) because he knew he wanted him gone and he has basically been a lame duck GM for the past 4 months. The fact that he was still willing to run Portland's draft room and make real trades (such as the Babbit-Wesbter trade which I love for Portland) shows what a classy guy he is. Some team is gonna get a great GM next year, he'll have his pick of the available jobs.

hotpotato1092
06-26-2010, 02:01 AM
One last wrinkle, doesn't the fact that Paul Allen wanted him to run the draft room prove that this wasn't a basketball decision? I mean if you were firing a GM because he was doing a crappy job building the team, you wouldn't want him running your draft right? The NBA: where firing your top 6 or 7 GM over petty jealousy happens.

mrblisterdundee
06-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Paul Allen is an *******.

PatelJ1010
06-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Man I hope after the Warriors' Sale is complete that we tried to get him as a GM...

RocketsRule
06-26-2010, 03:32 AM
From what I heard, he had a big ego. He praised himself so much and Paul Allen got sick of it.

Though I'm not sure I'd fire a top 5 GM just because he has a big ego...

JordanPippen
06-26-2010, 03:51 AM
must have slept with Paul Allen's wife, because that firing was absurd!

USMCLaker
06-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Sam Presti, Daryl Morey, R.C Buford, Geoff Petrie, Donnie Nelson, Pat Riley. That's the short list of GMs I consider on or above Pritchard's level (and no Lakers fans, stealing Pau Gasol doesn't get Mitch Kupchak on the list, same goes for Danny Ainge, no credit for hijacking KG and lucking into Phoenix wanting to sell Rondo to avoid luxury tax payments). The fact is he got fired because Paul Allen didn't want to give him the credit. When Portland had a great young nucleus with Roy and Aldridge and won the '07 lottery, everyone was saying what a great job Pritchard did building the team, Paul Allen wanted the credit. Ironically he did nothing to promote himself, by all accounts he's fairly humble and even brought his staff with him to the Sloan Conference at MIT because he thought they deserved the same credit as him. Paul Allen starting leaking negative rumors about him to the press months ago (like the contract issue) because he knew he wanted him gone and he has basically been a lame duck GM for the past 4 months. The fact that he was still willing to run Portland's draft room and make real trades (such as the Babbit-Wesbter trade which I love for Portland) shows what a classy guy he is. Some team is gonna get a great GM next year, he'll have his pick of the available jobs.

I agree with you 100% any Laker fans that credits Mitch for that trade is misinformed that was all Memphis' doing.

I would take Pritchard over most GM's in the league what he did with that Portland squad was spectacular. You don't have know much about the drama at Portland to know that the owner mad a classless move.

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Pritchard got fired bc he didnt draft Kevin Durant....and every GM in the NBA would have taken Oden over Durant so he should not be fired for that.

Its a SHAME! He did a good job in Portland.

Lakers4ItAll
06-26-2010, 11:30 AM
because he didn't pick Durant

drobe86
06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
It's easy he's getting fired because he's an idiot. How the hell do you take Greg Oden over Kevin Durant? My problem with Portland is why it took so long for them to fire him. If you blew that pick, it's safe to say you will blow others in the future. IDK all the hype about Pritchard what has he done? I just don't understand the love for a guy that made the 2nd dumbest decision all time in NBA draft history. This will be close to picking sam Bowie over michael Jordan....

Raoul Duke
06-26-2010, 12:05 PM
It's easy he's getting fired because he's an idiot. How the hell do you take Greg Oden over Kevin Durant? My problem with Portland is why it took so long for them to fire him. If you blew that pick, it's safe to say you will blow others in the future. IDK all the hype about Pritchard what has he done? I just don't understand the love for a guy that made the 2nd dumbest decision all time in NBA draft history. This will be close to picking sam Bowie over michael Jordan....

You would've blown the same pick.

drobe86
06-26-2010, 12:08 PM

No sir my friend. I am a Kevin Durant believer and have always been. First off I'm a UT fan so I watched every game he played in college. 2nd of all I believe Durant is the best player in the NBA right now. Yes ahead of Lebron, and ahead of Kobe. Kobe has a great supporting cast, Durant doesn't. Lebron is a great player but you can't count him late in the game. Durant has carried that team until day 1, and he's the best player in the NBA by a smidgeion.

drobe86
06-26-2010, 12:09 PM

No sir my friend. I am a Kevin Durant believer and have always been. First off I'm a UT fan so I watched every game he played in college. 2nd of all I believe Durant is the best player in the NBA right now. Yes ahead of Lebron, and ahead of Kobe. Kobe has a great supporting cast, Durant doesn't. Lebron is a great player but you can't count him late in the game. Durant has carried that team until day 1, and he's the best player in the NBA by a small margin.....

heathonater
06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
still a complete mystery to me as to why pritchard got fired. not liking the direction this franchise is going right now considering i havent heard a good reason yet from paul allen and company as to why pritchard was let go.

hotpotato1092
06-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Greg Oden was being called the next Patrick Ewing, only better offensively. There was absolutely no way Portland should have taken Durant. I still stand by that today. When you have Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge (a PERFECT compliment to a low post center), Oden was the clear pick. And remember, he's never been healthy. If he manages to get healthy he can still be an all star center, I don't know about you but I've seen real flashes out of him when he's been on the floor. With hindsight of course you take Durant, but there isn't a single GM in basketball who would have passed on Oden, that would have been like passing on Tim Duncan for Keith Van Horn or passing on Yao Ming for Jay Williams. When there's a legitimate franchise center on the board, you don't pass on him for ANYTHING.

central2003
06-27-2010, 01:29 AM
^^^^ Sam Bowie would have been a great center if he stayed healthy but he never did but still is considered one of the biggest bust in NBA history. Oden can be considered a bust just for not ever playing a full season esp if he has to be forced in to retirement like Ed O banon and Sam Bowie because of injuries .. he will def be a bust only time will tell but right now he is looking like a bust (esp if he gets hurt this year again).

BradyIsTheMan12
06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Just for the record, unless it comes out publicly I highly doubt Pritch got fired for drafting Oden. Vulcan and Allen are dumb but they aren't that dumb.

USMCLaker
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Just for the record, unless it comes out publicly I highly doubt Pritch got fired for drafting Oden. Vulcan and Allen are dumb but they aren't that dumb.

I agree. I remember everybody (Basketball sports analyst, writers, GM's) saying that it doesn't matter how good Durant can be that Portland has to draft Oden due to the lack of talented big men in the league or on the market, Oden's dominance in college and his NBA potential.