PDA

View Full Version : NCAA underachiever, NBA success story

phlp_bj
06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
If watching Boston's Rajon Rondo emerge as one of the NBA's best young point guards has been a tad bittersweet for Kentucky fans, it's probably because they can't help but wonder why he couldn't have found that spark a few years sooner.

Rondo's quickness, athleticism and defensive prowess were always obvious even during the worst of times at Kentucky, but Smith's deliberate inside-out attack handcuffed some of his point guard's greatest improvisational skills. Even when Rondo averaged a solid 11.2 points and 4.9 assists as a sophomore, there was always a nagging sense that he could be producing so much more.

With the Wildcats in the midst of a three-game losing streak in February 2006 and in jeopardy of missing the NCAA tournament, Smith benched Rondo, Randolph Morris and Joe Crawford in favor of three reserves he hoped would play harder. The backups helped rally Kentucky for an NCAA tournament berth, but a disappointing 22-13 sophomore season hardly portended future NBA success for Rondo.

NCAA underachiever, NBA success story countdown:
No. 10: Jrue Holiday
No. 9: DeAndre Jordan
No. 8: Andre Iguodala
No. 7: John Salmons
No. 6: Trevor Ariza
No. 5: Ben Wallace
No. 4: Gerald Wallace
No. 3: Zach Randolph
No. 2: Corey Maggette
No. 1: Rajon Rondo

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/NCAA-underachiever-NBA-success-story-No-1-Raj?urn=ncaab,251041

TYoung21
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Yea Jrue Holiday is going to make noise this year!

Kakaroach
06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
True story about Rondo, Smith was such a bad coach when it came to PGs. I like that list except Jrue Holiday and DeAndre Jordan have yet to prove themselves.

phlp_bj
06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Ya. I couldn't think of anyone else that did poorly in college and lit it up in the NBA. I also felt that Ben Wallace should be lower on the list considering he was undrafted too