PDA

View Full Version : PSD NBA Round Table Discussion: Draft Grades

ManRam
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/343/ree01.png
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3666/ree02.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7662/ree03.png

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer.

The NBA draft is always one of the more exciting parts of the NBA season. It marks the end of the NBA season, it marks the beginning of free agency, and it provides many fans with a sense of hope that their team might just have struck gold. There are always winners and losers. For every Darko, Kwame and Kandy man, there is a Ginobili (57th), a Kobe (13th), and a Lambier (65th).

The draft always has the potential to turn cellar-dweller into contender, and also has to power to halt a franchise to a crashing stop if the picks are botched.

So who are the winners, and who are the losers? Here is what our experts have to say:

Corey Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics
Drafted: Avery Bradley (#19), Luke Harangody (#52)
Grade: C+

Avery Bradley is one of the best defensive prospects in the entire draft, and can defend the point guard position as good as anyone currently in the NBA. The problem though, for the Celtics, is that he does not fit a need. He is going to be stuck behind Rondo on the point guard depth chart, and he does not have the size (he's 6'2) to adequately defend the shooting guard position. Realistically, he will be groomed to be a backup point guard, and it seems silly to waste a top 20 pick on a backup point guard when the team has more pressing needs (Garnett 34, Allen turning 35, Pierce 33).

Harangody is a potential bench player with a bit of upside. Depending on how his game translates to the NBA, he could be a nice little combo off the bench with Glen "Big Baby" Davis. He's too slow to guard the 3, and not big enough to guard the 4, but Harangody has a good shooting touch for someone his size, and will likely find his way on to the back of someone's rotation.

Toronto Raptors
Drafted: Ed Davis (#13)
Grade: A-

Toronto made a great selection by snagging Ed Davis with the #13 pick. There was speculation that he could be a top 10 pick, and with uncertainty surrounding Chris Bosh and the future of the Raptors, Ed Davis brings hope. Though injured a majority of last season, Davis has shown that he can be a legitimate force on the offensive end.

He will need to bulk up a bit, and gain more polished post moves, but Davis' athleticism and finishing ability will give Toronto some much needed attitude to the paint. Additionally, he is a very scrappy rebounder, and a decent defender. He has the intangibles to be a very solid all around power forward at the next level.

New York Knicks
Drafted: Andy Rautins (#38), Landry Fields (#39)
Grade: D+

The only reason the Knicks aren't receiving an F is because the lack of picks is a direct result of their free-agent off season strategy. The fact that they did not try to move into the first round is a bit disappointing, though smart at the same time as no money has to be guaranteed to second round picks.

As for the actual picks, neither will be big contributors in the NBA. Rautins has some potential to be a Kyle Kover type of player with a little bit of defense, but not much more. Fields has the potential to drop big points off the bench, but has next to no expectations. He had a very solid senior year in the Pac-10, but his talent doesn't translate well to the NBA.

Philadelphia 76'ers
Drafted: Evan Turner (#2)
Grade: A

No complaints with the pick. The 76'ers had the easiest draft out of any team, as the choice of "Wall or Turner" was already made for them. They got Evan Turner, who should fit greatly with Igoudala, and immediately be able to make an impact on the NBA.

I personally believe, and have said all along, that Turner is the best player in this year's draft. Only time will tell as to whether my assertion was correct, however Philadelphia is happy with the pick either way. They got a big name guy that can help carry a team, and put butts in the seats at the same time.

It would have been nice for Philly to buy a late first rounder, but they feel content with the roster they have now.

New Jersey Nets
Drafted: Derrick Favors (#3), Jordan Crawford (#27), Tibor Pleiss (#31)
Grade: B

VERY solid draft for the Nets. They got a ridiculously athletic big man in Favors that played in a system at Georgia Tech that was heavily guard-oriented. He still has a lot of maturing to do, but he is widely believed to be the best power forward prospect in the entire draft. Him next to Brook Lopez spells good future for the New Jersey Nets.

Crawford and Pleiss are both trade bait, apparently. Both will be headed to the Atlanta Hawks, in exchange for Damien James.

Damien James is a great pickup for the Nets. He's very versatile and can log you minutes at the 3 and 4. He's gaining range on his jump shot, and is able to contribute on the NBA level immediately. His upside isn't that great, but he is an athletic wing player that can finish at the rim. On a playoff team, he will be nothing more than an end of the rotation backup. His defense will be the most impressive part of his game, to many.

Raoul Duke Central Division

CHICAGO- The Bulls picked up one player, who will reportedly be traded in a couple of weeks. The move allows Chicago to do what they wanted to this summer, and in that respect, it was a success. The Bulls get a C

CLEVELAND- N/A

DETROIT- Dumars managed to get a big that can contribute immediately. He also managed to pick up another combo guard, which is beginning to become his modus operandi. Monroe I love. White Iím intrigued by, but I just donít see any room for him. The Pistons get a C+

INDIANA- They got a lot of really athletic guys. Honestly, I think Indiana did pretty well in the second and took a huge gamble in the first on a high-risk small forward. Last I checked they were good at that spot. Thereís going to (potentially) be a lot of roster turnover in Indiana after next season, so if nothing else this gives them a lot of young athletic pieces to build around (tank with?). The Pacers get a C

MILWAUKEE- I think The Bucks did really well, especially for a team that picked outside the lottery and only had one first round pick. They got a lot of size. Itís late and I really donít know what else to say about their picks other than that they made the most out of what they had to work with. The Bucks get a B+

daleja424 Southwest Division

Atlanta Hawks
This draft really left me scratching my head with the picks. Jordan Crawford, while I believe he will be a solid pro, doesn't make much sense to me. He seems to be essentially the same guy as Jamal, who is already on the team. Then with pick 31 they bypassed Hassan Whiteside, despite their need for a big man. I didn't understand this draft very much.
Grade: C-

Charlotte Bobcats
No draft picks in this draft. Traded away in previous deals.
Grade: INC

Miami HEAT
Made some nice picks despite not having any first rounders. Pittman could be a force if conditioned and Butler would have been a first rounder if not injured. The only head scratcher here is that Miami also passed up Whitside (with pick 32), opting instead for Dexter Pittman. Overall, Miami did a solid job with the picks they had, and they created more cap space for free agents.
Grade: B+

Orlando Magic
Daniel Orton was a good pick for Orlando. It allows them to move Gortat to find a power forward to put next to Dwight. In the second round they went with Stanley Robinson. That was also a nice pick. Good value with both picks. Very solid draft given the picks they had.

Washington Wizards
I was not a hugr fan of the Wiazrds draft day. I don't give them any credit for the Wall pick because it was a no brainer. I like the move they made to get Trevor Booker, but it might have been a little bit of a reach. The biggest issue I have is that they took on 17 million dollars in Hinrich at a position they are set at (Wall and Arenas) and all they got out of it was a project center that won't see the nba for several years (Kevin Seraphin). The Wizards definitely added a lot of talent to the team, I just think they could have done more with their picks.

Kakaroach Northwest Division

Utah Jazz: C- They Jazz could have had Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry, Ed Davis, or Luke Babbitt. Instead they went with Gordon Hayward - a low potential but Jerry Sloan type of player. We can't be too harsh, because who knows how Hayward will pan out in the NBA, but for now it seems like a reach. They also picked a complete no-name late in the second round.

Denver Nuggets: ? What do we give a team that didn't even have a single draft pick or make any moves for a draft pick? :shrug: Your guess is as good as mine. Only good thing you could say is that they didn't move Ty Lawson for a pick.

Portland Trailblazers: B+ Kevin Pritchard certainly went out with a bang after being notified he would be fired after the draft was over. He managed to get Luke Babbitt and Williams, 2 picks with very high potential. Armon Johnson could also potentially make the roster as a good 3rd option at PG.

Minnesota Timberwolves: C- Another strange draft by the T-Wolves and David Kahn. Wesley Johnson was a great pick but after that it went downward. They drafted 2 other SFs and traded them in Trevor Booker and Luke Babbitt. They did manage to get Martell Webster but he is a SF too. Very puzzling, and they didn't get the Center they need if they plan to move Al Jefferson.

OKC Thunder: A Presti works his magic once again on draft day. He managed to get Cole Aldrich to pair up with Serge Ibaka and got Daequan Cook and the 18th pick to add to their arsenal. Then the quickly traded that 18th pick (Eric Bledsoe) to the Clippers for a future first round pick. They also got potential big man Tibor Pleiss, who could make a big impact in a few years.

Bubba17 Pacific Division

Well I have the task of grading the Pacific Divison. This might be a little hard because I dont really follow the Western Conference teams seeing as I'm a Sixers fan but I'll try my best.

First off was the winner of the draft in my opinion, the Sacramento Kings. They ended up taking Demarcus Cousins with the 5th pick, and getting Hassan Whiteside in the second round. Both players could end up being very good players. Everyone knows about Demarcus Cousins, great talent but has some attitude problems. Whiteside however was expected by many to go in the early 20's and the Kings ended up getting him at pick #33. They filled big needs in getting these 2 big men.
Grade: A+

Next will be the LA Clippers. They took Al-Farouq Aminu with the 8th pick, traded for Eric Bledsoe who was drafted at #18, and then took Willie Warren at #54. With drafting Aminu and trading for Bledsoe, they filled 2 big needs. They needed a SF and Aminu will fill in nicely. While he might not become a star, I think he'll end up as a very nice player. They did give up a future 1st rounder for Bledsoe, which may or may not be good. They've only had 2 winning seasons in the last like 30 years so hopefully they put some protection on the pick. And Willie Warren is an interesting pick. He was projected to be drafted pretty high coming into the season, so if he can get it together he might be a steal.

The LA Lakers are next on my rankings. Now they didn't have a 1st rounder this year, but they had two 2nd rounders and I think they did a good job with drafting there. They got Devin Ebanks at #43 and Derrick Caracter at #58. These players aren't going to be stars in the league, but they will definitely bring energy off the bench and help the defending champs bench. Decent job for the champs.

Next up, the Phoenix Suns. Like the Lakers, they didn't have a first rounder either. Instead, they had two 2nd rounders, draft Gani Lawal and Dwyane Collins. Again, these players aren't going to be studs in the league, but Lawal could end up being a nice player at the PF position. He might not see a ton of time right away with Amundson and Frye there though. Collins really is only good at rebounding, so he'll have to learn some offensive game if he wants any value.
Grade: B-

Finally, the Golden State Warriors. How can the team with the #6 pick be last when there was 2 teams with only 2nd rounders? Well when you choose Ekpe Udoh with that pick, you have to be last. Now Udoh isn't a terrible player, but #6 was too high for him in my opinion. Dont they know that they already have Brandan Wright and Anthony Randolph at PF? Poor Warrior fans..
Grade: D

ManRamForPrez24 Southwest Division

Dallas Mavericks

They snagged Soloman Alabi with the 50th pick, but traded him to Toronto. They did pay $3 million for the rights to Dominique Jones, a very promising pick well worth the $3 million. His ability to create his own shot will prove to be an asset for the Mavs, and he can step in right away. The problem here is, they don't need more perimeter players, they needed a big man. Trading away Alabi for nothing makes no sense to me. I like Jones a lot. He's great...but the Mavericks didn't draft for need.

Grade: C+

San Antonio Spurs

They drafted James Anderson with the 20th pick. The Big 12 player of the year is a tremendous scorer, and an above average rebounder for his position. SF lacks some depth in San Antonio, and depending on Jefferson's productivity, Anderson might log some significant minutes his rookie year. His ability to hit the outside shot will be huge, considering how frequently SA struggled from three. Definitely a great pick, and at 20, he's a steal. In the second round, they drafted the 7-foot English center, Ryan Richards. He's an amazing athlete who can run as well as any 7-footer, but he's raw, and is a project at this point in his career. The upside is obvious, however.

Grade: A

Houston Rockets

The Rockets made one selection last night - Patrick Patterson. While people tend to be all over the place in regards to how high his upside is, there is no doubt he can contribute right away. He is an average defender, an average rebounder and only has average size...all three things I thought Houston needed to address. They needed a center, not another 6-9 PF who plays average defense and doesn't rebound a ton. I do think that for those reasons Sanders and Seraphin would have been better picks, but who knows. But again, he can step in right away and do some things. Solid, but not spectacular, pick.

Memphis Grizzlies

Drafted Xavier Henry with the 12th pick and Greivis Vasquez with the 28th. They sold Dominique Jones to Dallas. I think they had one of the better drafts. They got a guy in Henry who has a ton of upside, and can step right in an provide some much needed scoring off the bench. Vazquez is a heart and hustle guy, who can score, rebound and pass very well. Conley isn't a starting PG on a winning team, in my opinion, and nor is Vazquez, but he will help with point guard depth, and really be a boost off the bench. The money they got for selling James is enough to pay for Vazquez's contract completely. Savvy move.

New Orleans Hornets

They drafted Aldrich 11th, and proceeded to trade him and Mo Peterson for Craig Brackins and Quincy Pondexter. Brackins is a 6-10 big body, with great range, and solid rebounding abilities. He's very lanky and athletic, but could use a bit more bulk. He gets the soft-label frequently, and defense is an area for concern. But he sure can score. Pondexter is a tremendous athlete and has a great motor. He's not a great shooter, and he's not tremendous at creating his own shot, but he will be a solid contributor off the bench. I like the Aldrich swap for these two, but I'm not sure how much either will impact the team. The cap relief helps out a lot, however.

What do you guys think? Who are your winners and losers?

Kakaroach
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Awesome job as always fellow round table members. :clap: Agreed with the grades for the most part.

Wizard of O's
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Completely disagree with him being an average defender he was all-SEC first team in defense.

Also hate the idea that teams only need to draft based on need. Like Morey said you take BPA, you may be stacked at a position now but with as quickly as rosters change in the NBA you make a trade you may be thin at that spot next year.

Have not read one single other draft review that didn't have Patterson being a total steal. Athletic, Smart, Good Character (something lacking in most of the centers), Good defender, can shoot from the outside.

A!

NBAfan4life
06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
This draft is the sole reason why I live in Minnesota but really cant stomach rooting for the wolves. Was a Magic fan in the Penny and Shaq days, and since Kobe joined shaq I have been a Laker fan ever since.

I dont see that changing.

ManRam
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Completely disagree with him being an average defender he was all-SEC first team in defense.

Also hate the idea that teams only need to draft based on need. Like Morey said you take BPA, you may be stacked at a position now but with as quickly as rosters change in the NBA you make a trade you may be thin at that spot next year.

Have not read one single other draft review that didn't have Patterson being a total steal. Athletic, Smart, Good Character (something lacking in most of the centers), Good defender, can shoot from the outside.

A!

I don't think teams should always draft by need, but I do think it matters, especially when you are in the position to draft a player who is only marginally at-best better than the people being drafted around him. If Patterson was head and shoulders above the other bigs out there (I don't think he is), then it's fine. But Houston is still going to be drastically undersized, especially if Yao isn't healthy.

I am a big time Gator fan. I've seen Patterson play at least 10-15 times (not just for a few minutes, but for entire games). I just don't think he is as great of a defender as that all-defense team award says. He's in no way bad, but he isn't anything better than slightly above average. His man-to-man defense is not great...and nor is his defensive IQ.

But me telling you my opinion shouldn't change your mind, but I'm not the only one out there.

DrafteExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patrick-Patterson-1225/) says his weaknesses are "defensive awareness", "man to man defense" and "all-around defense". They call him a "Jack of all trades, master of none".

nbadraft.net says "For his build and strength, he is not the greatest rebounder, and at the next level when going up against taller and equally strong forwards, he could be a liability on the defensive glass ... When guarding more athletic and quicker forwards like Josh Smith, he could have a difficult time defending on the perimeter (although it seems his footwork and agility have improved over the past year) ... Lacks defensive awareness, and will need to work on his help defense and positioning off the ball "

We'll see. I like Patterson, I'm just not in love with him. Especially considering how high he was selected.

ElFuturoDeESPN
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I respectfully disagree with the Blazers grade. I give them an F just for firing (arguably) the best draft day GM in NBA history, although I think Presti made his argument for that yesterday. Yes Babbitt is a good outside shooter but I loved the energy and athleticism that Martell Webster brought off the bench. Not the most consistent of guys, but the fact that he can go off on any given day scares me. If he ends up living up to his potential (He's only 23, people forget he came out of high school) I'm going to flip out. I don't know much about Williams, but I could care less. I, among many other Blazers fans am completely distraught over the loss of KP, I feel that alone makes us one of the bigger losers in this draft.

Kakaroach
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I respectfully disagree with the Blazers grade. I give them an F just for firing (arguably) the best draft day GM in NBA history, although I think Presti made his argument for that yesterday. Yes Babbitt is a good outside shooter but I loved the energy and athleticism that Martell Webster brought off the bench. Not the most consistent of guys, but the fact that he can go off on any given day scares me. If he ends up living up to his potential (He's only 23, people forget he came out of high school) I'm going to flip out. I don't know much about Williams, but I could care less. I, among many other Blazers fans am completely distraught over the loss of KP, I feel that alone makes us one of the bigger losers in this draft. I decided not to factor in the firing of Pritchard because it didn't affect their actual draft. But yes, if you take that into account, the Blazers do deserve a D at best.

Corey
06-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Good work on the write ups, boys.

losbreezy
06-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Kings ^^^^^

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
This thread is outstanding. I agree with your grade of the Celtics. I do like their 2nd round pick though but the first round pick is a bit puzzling. Bradley might have been the best available player but we dont need a PG, so James Anderson might have made more sense. I did see an interview with James Anderson and he didnt come off well so perhaps the C's were scared away by his attitude...but that is pure speculation.

jimbobjarree
06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Clippers getting an A- when they gave up a future 1st, which will inevitably be a lottery pick?

td0tsfinest
06-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I think the Kings and Thunder were the big winners of the night.

Kings, unsurprisingly, got Cousins but were able to grab Whiteside in the second round. Like Jay Bilas said "Whiteside would have been a risk/reward pick in the first round. But here in the 2nd, he's all reward." As of right now, Whiteside will probably be their 5th big man behind Dalembert, Cousins, Landry and Thompson but the kings could move around one of those bigs to add more depth in the backcourt.

For a team that was in the playoffs, the Thunder were able to add another lottery pick to their already stacked roster of young players. The team with the most blocks last season have just added a guy who will make them even better in that department. While Cole Aldrich may not be athletically gifted or an impressive prospect on the offensive end but Aldrich can come in and instantly help the team on the defensive end. Great pick up. And you can't forget the man with arguably the best name in the draft, Magnum Rolle. Don't know if he'll make the team but he'll definitely be given a good look.

Slimsim
06-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Just heard Knicks bought the 44th pick does that raise there grade to at least a c- ?

ldc62
06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
You guys were a bit too nice... but good analysis like usual.

Korman12
06-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Good write-up guys. Agree with the good majority of the grades, except for Detroit. I feel they had one of the better drafts on Thursday, and deserve at least an B+ for Monroe or White. Monroe was a very, very good pick and White is a good upside guy for the second round who could take Will Bynum's place in the near future.

Clippers getting an A- when they gave up a future 1st, which will inevitably be a lottery pick?

Yeah, they did give up a pick, but Aminu, Bledsoe and Warren at #54 are damn good picks.

ldc62
06-26-2010, 01:41 PM
OKC did an amazing job. I think they are trying to pack some future picks (now clippers) to make a run for Bosh. They have to eventually give up some young guys for a stud and what better time than this summer?

Bubba17
06-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, they did give up a pick, but Aminu, Bledsoe and Warren at #54 are damn good picks.

Bingo..I didnt like that they gave the future first, but I read somewhere that its heavily protected so thats good. And their picks were really good, so I think an A- was somewhere around what they deserve.

Penetra8r
06-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Kings gonna be scary someday

The_Pharouh
06-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Don't like the Mavs grade,they drafted a need ,we always used a combo guard like Jet or SF like Butler/Howard at the 2
Alabi was picked for the Raptors,we didn't like him ,I do like Alabi but the Mavs have done the right thing

magichatnumber9
06-27-2010, 08:28 AM
This thread is outstanding. I agree with your grade of the Celtics. I do like their 2nd round pick though but the first round pick is a bit puzzling. Bradley might have been the best available player but we dont need a PG, so James Anderson might have made more sense. I did see an interview with James Anderson and he didnt come off well so perhaps the C's were scared away by his attitude...but that is pure speculation.
I'm a bit confused at why the Celtics didn't at least bring James up for a workout. Or Danny could of flown out and piggy backed another team work out. Not a smart move by Danny if you ask me. Time will tell. Great Atlantic write Corey. I'll come back and read the rest some time today. Great thread Manram