PDA

View Full Version : Young or Old?

thephoenixson28
06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
If you had a oppurtunity to contend for a couple years and be old or get the 1st pick in the Draft with young talent what would you do.

So basically what team would you rather be Lakers,Celtics or Oklahoma,Memphis

The reason I say this is cuz lakers, and the celtics are a top team but are getting older. Oklahoma and memphis is a young team with talent and will do damage in the future.

GrumpyOldMan
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
It's all about the rings. The old teams you mentioned have those. I'd take that and then rebuild when I have to.

Rivera
06-25-2010, 01:45 PM
u should not throw oklahoma city n this discussion cause they arent a lottery team even though ur young if i could choose which franchise i want to control its OKC cause their young have potentially 2 young superstars and they made the playoffs last yr

now if ur askin me to take over the nets or wizards or minnesota vs lakers celtics and spurs

im taking lakers celtics spurs their gonna b in the playoffs which u wanna be u can rebuild through the draft FA and through trades to keep these teams a float

i want wins n rings cause thats what defines you and u get more $$$$$$

leftymo
06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
The ideal thing to have is a great majority of your players in their prime. That's where championship teams come from. Ages 27-32 is ideal.

A common misconception is that the Lakers are getting older. Only one player is 32 or older. That would be Derek Fisher!

The Celtics would be old, their guys aren't 32.. they are older.

Memphis/OKC are definitely on the rise, but they are still too young to get into the deeper rounds, and they are also questionable whether or not they'll even make the finals.

The Lakers will probably have to make some decisions in 3 years, when their core guys are all in their winding down phase. Luckily they have a franchise center in Andrew Bynum who's only 22 ready to pick up the slack.

DenButsu
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
As a fan of a team that has never won the championship (the Nuggets), I'd say that if you have a chance to win it all (in the case of this thread scenario, by going old), then you absolutely must take it. Hopefully this can be done without completely wrecking the team's future, but losing out in the short term on young talent could still be worth it for the organization as a whole if they won a championship, which would earn them prestige and increase their ability to attract new talent in free agency moving forward.

Covert
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Ultimately, you want to win a ring. As good as the Thunder and Grizzlies are, you never know if they will ever be good enough to win a ring or evens reach the Finals. That's why I'd rather be a team like the Lakers and Celtics although I think the Celtics are too old after the run they had this year.

thephoenixson28
06-26-2010, 02:38 AM
That's what I wanted to know. I just think why does everyone want to rebuild. If I had a chance to get KG and Ray allen, I think we can still contend. I just hate when people talk about the rebuilding process, compared to people that can still produce.

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 09:22 AM
If you had a oppurtunity to contend for a couple years and be old or get the 1st pick in the Draft with young talent what would you do.

So basically what team would you rather be Lakers,Celtics or Oklahoma,Memphis

The reason I say this is cuz lakers, and the celtics are a top team but are getting older. Oklahoma and memphis is a young team with talent and will do damage in the future.

Its a tough question but a great one.

THe Celtics had been bad for a long time and frankly boston was tired of waiting or young talent to develop so they made a trade to get good now. I also think teams that are already good should try to get better. You can only wait so long and the C's wanted to "maximize Paul Pierce's career" so that is why they made the trade.

As for the Lakers they are good and not really that old so they are in great postion.

Best young team in the league is OKC...Memphis is a notch below.

blastmasta26
06-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't think the Lakers are old, they still have a few years of contention left. Celtics and Spurs would be better examples. I would take an old team with a good chance of winning a title over a young lottery team (OKC is too good to represent all young teams). With an old team, you can always trade for guys and draft well to get younger as most of the team gets older.

heatking
06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
The Miami heat are a perfect example for this. We traded for shaq and got a ring, but after that we have sucked because of our age... I would gladly take this tough. Not every franchise has a ring, but there are many that can compete.

thephoenixson28
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Its a tough question but a great one.

THe Celtics had been bad for a long time and frankly boston was tired of waiting or young talent to develop so they made a trade to get good now. I also think teams that are already good should try to get better. You can only wait so long and the C's wanted to "maximize Paul Pierce's career" so that is why they made the trade.

As for the Lakers they are good and not really that old so they are in great postion.

Best young team in the league is OKC...Memphis is a notch below. Yeah I rather compete and trade for vets, than trade into the lottery. There is too many busts in the Nba. Its crazy why would they want to brake up a Celtics team just to rebuild. Look what happen to the twolves when KG left. They are young but can't compete. If they would've kept KG and put a team around him, they would've probably had a championship. If the celtics would've kept Al jefferson on the C's do you think they win a championship.

magichatnumber9
06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
There are certain positions and situations that you do need youth to win a championship. This is just my opinion but I think if you have a mix of young, intelligent, athletic players intermingled with quality vets that don't mind taking on leadership roles ie, Kobe and KG, and Derrick Fisher, then you are in the best possible situation to go all the way and win a championship.