PDA

View Full Version : FA 2010 Ruining NBA?

RenegadeRiot36
06-25-2010, 12:51 AM
i dont know if im the only one who feels this way, but is this freak year kind of ruining the usual fun of an nba season. all you ever hear about now is that a team is dumping players to clear cap space or taking on expiring contracts, or taking on bad contracts.

teams like the knicks and heat threw away this and last year to be in a better position for july. last time i checked, there were no games to be played in july. before, owners wanted success at all times. those days are over. the ideas of competition and self respect have disapperared from the game of basketball at least for now. i guess winning is overrated?

remember when teams traded PLAYERS instead of contracts to improve their rosters. now instead of talent, teams rank players off the number of years on the contract and how much they are making

and everyone forgets about the small market teams that are getting royally screwed by this free agent class because no one wants to play in milwaukee or memphis. these teams seem like they are destined for mediocrity

hopefully u guys can realize that this isnt just another one of those venting threads, im being serious and objective for the most part. personally i cant wait until august when football starts so i can get my mind off free agency for a while, whether lebron leaves or not. Thoughts?

on another note, thank god the salary cap is in place. its the only thing keeping the heat from getting every player thats worth getting.

Master Mind
06-25-2010, 12:58 AM
No its not ruining it, its entertainment...its soap opera which pro sports are anyway, it has everyone on the edge of their seats...I like the suspense

LTBaByyy
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Nah, believe it or not.... it made the draft more exciting!!! I havent been into a draft this much since the lebron year lol

RenegadeRiot36
06-25-2010, 01:03 AM
personally i think its just making the game not fun any more. its less basketball and... umm... more soap opera?

Team*Chicago
06-25-2010, 01:25 AM
i dont know if im the only one who feels this way, but is this freak year kind of ruining the usual fun of an nba season. all you ever hear about now is that a team is dumping players to clear cap space or taking on expiring contracts, or taking on bad contracts.

teams like the knicks and heat threw away this and last year to be in a better position for july. last time i checked, there were no games to be played in july. before, owners wanted success at all times. those days are over. the ideas of competition and self respect have disapperared from the game of basketball at least for now. i guess winning is overrated?

remember when teams traded PLAYERS instead of contracts to improve their rosters. now instead of talent, teams rank players off the number of years on the contract and how much they are making

and everyone forgets about the small market teams that are getting royally screwed by this free agent class because no one wants to play in milwaukee or memphis. these teams seem like they are destined for mediocrity

hopefully u guys can realize that this isnt just another one of those venting threads, im being serious and objective for the most part. personally i cant wait until august when football starts so i can get my mind off free agency for a while, whether lebron leaves or not. Thoughts?

on another note, thank god the salary cap is in place. its the only thing keeping the heat from getting every player thats worth getting.

I do agree but the NBA is more of an entertainment now just like the WWE. People didn't watch the Lakers and Celtics in the Finals for the love of the game like the NFL, MLB, NBA(during the Jordan era) and sometimes NHL, they watched it for entertainment and to get updates on where might LeBron James go.

Lakersho
06-25-2010, 01:26 AM
...here's a way to see it ,like 5 teams are guttin thier line ups in hope of landing " the crown jewels " of the f. a. class . i cant wait to see all the ones who come up empty handed ,and scramble to find guys to fill thier skeleton arsed team . thats what i'm waitin for... teeth nashing and head rubbing....now thats funny...

ldc62
06-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Not gonna lie.. this is the first draft in the last 8 years (since Kmart was 1) where I didn't really care (outside top 3). Maybe because of the FA class... who knows.

xbrackattackx
06-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Nah, But I'm ready for it to be over.

RollinDeep
06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
...here's a way to see it ,like 5 teams are guttin thier line ups in hope of landing " the crown jewels " of the f. a. class . i cant wait to see all the ones who come up empty handed ,and scramble to find guys to fill thier skeleton arsed team . thats what i'm waitin for... teeth nashing and head rubbing....now thats funny...

The best stories always come from the losing sides

dodie53
06-25-2010, 02:06 AM
i think the suspense is exciting.
haha

SMH!
06-25-2010, 02:10 AM
No its not ruining it, its entertainment...its soap opera which pro sports are anyway, it has everyone on the edge of their seats...I like the suspense

That is a mean gif.

0nekhmer
06-25-2010, 02:16 AM
i like it. it's different :)

COBY KARL
06-25-2010, 02:23 AM
it's just business. nothing personal. or is it?

kblo247
06-25-2010, 02:23 AM

Sounds like WrestleMania

ChiSox219
06-25-2010, 02:51 AM
So what?

If a team isn't in the FA bonanza, there's some sweet deal out there (OKC w/Mia)

This FA is the best thing that's happened to the NBA since Jordan.

robdog_5
06-25-2010, 02:51 AM
I disagree you have a 12 win team, 2 first round bounce outs, a storied franchise who has been down a while, all waiting interested in what their team is going to do. With the amount of FA's and the amount of cap space available out there, a lot of fans of the NBA and these teams will be following NBA more then ever.

Chicagofaithful
06-25-2010, 02:54 AM
i agree... i said that to my buddy today... if ever a small market team wins a championship it is simply because they got really lucky in the draft and/or a trade.... FA sucks when it comes to equality in the league... with that said as a Chicago fan, it has its benefits

Master Mind
06-25-2010, 03:10 AM
That is a mean gif.

Yeah Amare baptized that guy :p

bkmikeyy
06-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Actually small market teams have been making a killing because of this frenzy. Wizards, OKC, Bucks, Rockets have been stockpiling picks and talent for expirings, meanwhile some of these large market teams will be left with nothing when they don't sign players and already coughed up all their picks.

PatelJ1010
06-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Golden State, Sac Kings, Minny, Denver, Portland, New Orleans, Utah, Memphis, and OKLA

These teams out West can't even attract free agents as well as the East

Chicago, Miami, Orlando, New Jersey, New York, Washington, and Boston are the main areas for this Free agent class to go to which makes the West seem like Crappy.

At the same time the West knows that can't compete with that and just keep on stock piling NBA draft prospects and see if one of them can turn into a super star

IN THE END OF THIS I HOPE THIS DOESNT BECOME THE EAST VS. THE LAKERS (PS: I AM A FAN OF THE DYSNFUNCTIONAL WARRIORS)

robdizzle3
06-25-2010, 04:04 AM
The NBA hasnt been more exciting IMO. Chicago fans are showing their horns, Cleveland fans are biting their nails, Knicks fans are coming out of hiding and the way teams are unloading talent for cap relief, Teams that arent so good or are on the cusp are reaping the benefits. This is great.

kozelkid
06-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Actually small market teams have been making a killing because of this frenzy. Wizards, OKC, Bucks, Rockets have been stockpiling picks and talent for expirings, meanwhile some of these large market teams will be left with nothing when they don't sign players and already coughed up all their picks.

Great point.

Guys, this is something that is simply unheard of. We all love talking about the 2000 FA, but it wasn't even close to this one. There has never been something SO remarkable as this offseason. Sure, everyone loves a democracy, but in reality, the best for this league is to have 6-8 GREAT, great teams. And this looks like something that may happen potentially.

RenegadeRiot36
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
i dont know, im more of a fan of teams and players both shutting up and playing. this is too much drama for my taste. like i said before, its become more about flattering and hoping instead of putting out a good product teamwise. player wise, its less basketball and more plotting and discussing how to start a revolution or something else

DaBUU
06-25-2010, 11:06 AM
2010-2011 NBA Season: The Reboot

RVN671
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
It's showing us now how more and more the game we grew to love has turned itself into a business...and it's more apparent this year with people cutting players, buying contracts out, trading, all to save a little $ here and there. Tough economic times also play a huge role as well. #corruptStern

Pierzynski4Prez
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
3 teams out of 30. Hmm, I'd say its a very small portion that is gunning for this FA period, as it is usually every summer. Only the FA's this year are much, much better and a high plethora.

DeyAce
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of the nba so it's obviusly a big deal

magichatnumber9
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
If one team gets way to stacked I think it will hurt the small market team badly. What's the point of watching your basketball team if one team has to big of an advantage. On a side note I will be throwing a huge party when David Stern retires.

LTBaByyy
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
THIS is the first draft I been excited about bc it revolved around the free agency!! It makes the NBA better! Bc were still talking about NBA and its been over lol

Im a mavs fan but I would still like to see the Bulls and New York contending teams again, I wish Detroit didnt use their money last year than they would be in the running! I would also like to see Washington to be atleast a 4-6 seed playoff team again,

Im excited for the east!! Now they wont have losing teams make the playoffs at the 7 and 8 seed

LTBaByyy
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Teams like Bobcats, 76ers, Raptors, and Detroit better do something or they wont see the playoffs for a while! I hope they do ... Hawks might be a 6-8 seed w/o Johnson

kozelkid
06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
If one team gets way to stacked I think it will hurt the small market team badly. What's the point of watching your basketball team if one team has to big of an advantage. On a side note I will be throwing a huge party when David Stern retires.

I don't know why you would. Aside from minor gripes that people have with pretty much all commissioners, he's easily one of the best in American sports. He pretty much turned the NBA from the league that people least cared about, to the top. He did a ****LOAD for this league.

RenegadeRiot36
06-25-2010, 04:53 PM
3 teams out of 30. Hmm, I'd say its a very small portion that is gunning for this FA period, as it is usually every summer. Only the FA's this year are much, much better and a high plethora.

its by no means 3 teams. it seems like there are two types of teams in the league right now, ones that want to get cap room and ones that arent afraid to take on contracts. notice how neither of them are teams that want to improve straight up. if it was just the heat, knicks, and nets then why would the wizards trade a very talented antwaan jamison for an expiring contract?

dtmagnet
06-25-2010, 05:18 PM
I think its all pretty lame.

koLohe2133
06-25-2010, 05:26 PM
the world is ending in 2012....the NWO wants to keep us distracted while things go to hell in a handbasket...

after next season, arent the nba and nfl gonna be locked out??

say your prayers and pray for the annunaki!

lol

DaBUU
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
the world is ending in 2012....the NWO wants to keep us distracted while things go to hell in a handbasket...

after next season, arent the nba and nfl gonna be locked out??

say your prayers and pray for the annunaki!

lol

smoking that kush i see :p

koLohe2133
06-25-2010, 05:30 PM
smoking that kush i see :p

that BOMB DIGGITY......:D:D:D:D:D

Hawkeye15
06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
eh, maybe. But after the chaos starts, the rest will fall into place.

_KB24_
06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
So what?

If a team isn't in the FA bonanza, there's some sweet deal out there (OKC w/Mia)

This FA is the best thing that's happened to the Bulls since Jordan.

Fixed.

mavwar53
06-25-2010, 06:05 PM
too much made of the 2010 free agency but a lot of teams are cutting cap cause they are losing money. The economy is more of a factor than this free agent group

BigBlueCrew
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Im a Knicks fan and I have a tendency to agree with the poster. With all these teams dumping players and subsequently making cap room someone is going to get left out in the cold.

I happen to think that someone is going to be the Bulls but hey they made their bed when they dumped Hinrich

_Supreme_
06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I have to say that all the pathetic 2010 whoopla has severely disminished my interest in the NBA to the point that I almost don't care anymore.

The NBA as a whole has become more and more about the star players and less about the game, which is a damn shame. The league office and the media greedily and happily stimulate this because it makes them more $$$ as well.

If the league ends up being a league where there are 3 or 4 dynasty-ish teams after this offseason, and the rest are just there as a sideshow for the next 5 years, then I would view that as a very big negative.

But hey, I don't have to watch something I don't like. We'll see what happens next month.

_Supreme_
06-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I think its all pretty lame.

You have the best sig ever :clap: :D

_Supreme_
06-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually I hope Lebron goes to the Clippers, Bosh to the HEAT, Amare & JJ to NY and Boozer to Chicago.

Fill the rest of those teams up with the second tier free agents and we'll have an actually interesting league.

RenegadeRiot36
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
heres another prime example of my original point. the nets just traded the 6th overall pick in a draft in Yi for Quentin Ross? it just keeps getting worse and worse