PDA

View Full Version : Do draft picks want to go to good teams or bad?

69centers
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
There's an argument for both.

Good team:

-Get to work with proven vets or all stars and pick up on their talent.
-Get to see playoff basketball in their first year.
-Get basically zero playing time; garbage time if they are lucky.

Bad team:

-Get to play in their first year.
-On really bad teams, if they are very talented, they may even start.
-Gets better looks from other teams for future movement to a good team.
-No hopes of playoffs in sight, and possibly not for years.

OA SLAY
06-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Haha

The Jokemaker
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
They go to whatever team they are grateful for drafting them and hope they actually get a chance to play in the NBA and don't get stuck in the D-league.

magichatnumber9
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah I would be happpy just to get drafted.

AsfanSince99
06-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Most players feel this way, but if you're an Evan Turner, he said he didn't want to play for the Wiz and didn't even work out for them, said the 6ers had a better chance to win.

Bluffmasta
06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
off topic a bit, but when players pull stuff like this during the draft, saying they refuse to play for a certain team, i always hope those players turn out to be a bust, i cant stand their egos.

Korman12
06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Most players feel this way, but if you're an Evan Turner, he said he didn't want to play for the Wiz and didn't even work out for them, said the 6ers had a better chance to win.

It was more to the fact that the Wizards pretty much confirmed they were going to take Wall.

BkOriginalOne
06-24-2010, 11:45 PM
You want to go to a team that wants you.

But, to directly answer your question - wouldn't you want to go to the playoffs and have a title shot your first season?

prodigy
06-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Where ever you can get playing time.

Kyben36
06-24-2010, 11:54 PM
they want to go to a team where they are bad enough to start, but good enough to compete.

GSW Hoops
06-25-2010, 12:09 AM
On draft night, I think most draft picks are just worried about money and are grateful to even be drafted. Even John Wall had a concerned look on his face before the draft, even though the whole world knew he was going #1.

Most look to be drafted as high as possible because higher picks usually earn more money. They're usually poor kids looking to get their first big paycheck to help themselves and their families.

After a few years they begin to look for playing time, successful teams, etc. But I wouldn't imagine many 18-year-old kids care much about that.

Bishnoff
06-25-2010, 12:29 AM
off topic a bit, but when players pull stuff like this during the draft, saying they refuse to play for a certain team, i always hope those players turn out to be a bust, i cant stand their egos.

Same.

xabial
06-25-2010, 02:00 AM
I think Most players have preferences, some get over it thanking god they made it to the NBA. Others think their the 2nd coming of Jordan or something refusing to work out for that specific team ******* the team that so rightfully deserves that player.

Stephen Curry openly said he wanted to play for the knicks, but he worked out for every team and when the Warriors drafted him one pick before NY he embraced it, he was thankful he made the NBA, Took on a major role for GS and developed into an amazing player.

Ricky Rubio is still in Spain, after he said he didnt want to play for Minnesota, yet they still drafted him

It depends but 99% of the time teams get the player they coveted.

dodie53
06-25-2010, 02:18 AM

me too.
just have to be grateful on their good luck

0nekhmer
06-25-2010, 02:18 AM
i was busy with your avy and sig to see what you had to say :)

abe_froman
06-25-2010, 02:27 AM
bad-then you know your a high pick

kurtismurray
06-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I think Gordon Hayward is the biggest winner of the draft.
He's going to be able to actually PLAY behind SG Matthews and SF Miles in Utah. He will also compete for the starting job on a VERY proven team having a +.500 record 26 of 27 seasons with a legendary coach.

xbrackattackx
06-25-2010, 10:01 AM

x324354547

coloradobuff
06-25-2010, 10:11 AM
good..so they have chance to win now

ccugrad1
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I know it is just my opinion, but a lot of the NBA Draft is a bunch of hogwash to a lot of teams, especially this year. Let's face facts, the Chicago Bulls couldn't trade away the #17 overall pick fast enough as part of a deal to unload Hinrich's contract to free up space for FA.

Or, how many years have we seen teams like the Lakers or Cavs SELL their picks for like 3 million because they want nothing to do with the draft.

That is not to say the draft doesn't have value to some teams who are looking to add a nice piece for their future, but for a lot of teams, 1st round picks just don't have a lot of value.