PDA

View Full Version : Webster to Wolves for Babbitt

phlp_bj
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Portland has a deal with Minnesota to select Luke Babbitt for Blazers with the 16th pick, league source tells Y!
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/16975265639

Portland has a deal with Minnesota to select Luke Babbitt for Blazers with the 16th pick for Martell Webster, league source tells Yahoo. Gomes is also going to the Blazers

AI4MVP
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
wow. interesting.

ripjhb18
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Paul Allen's first move.

Ragun
06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
fair trade

ripjhb18
Add Gomes to the deal too.

D Roses Bulls
just reported by rick Bucher from the Draft. Link coming when available

akesh99
didn`t they just announce that it was Gomes and Babbit for Webster

LTBaByyy
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
for Draft Pick Babbit and Ryan Gomes

What do yall think?

Portland has a deal with Minnesota to select Luke Babbitt for Blazers with the 16th pick, league source tells Y!http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/16975265639

phlp_bj
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
ya just announced that

RaIDErsFTW
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
i think its a dumb trade.. i rather have webster

Giannis94
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Christ sake, 3 of the same titled thread on the top of PSD

phlp_bj
06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
thanks for the link yankeefan. i was looking for one

Young2Kinsler
06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Webster sucks, another horrible Minny trade.

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
So basically, in the final sum, Minny traded Ty Lawson for Martell Webster (since Babbitt was drafted with the pick the Nuggs traded to the Wolves for Ty).

magichatnumber9
06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
So basically, in the final sum, Minny traded Ty Lawson for Martell Webster (since Babbitt was drafted with the pick the Nuggs traded to the Wolves for Ty).
Absa mf lutley

XJW18
06-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I like the move by The Wolves.
They Need another Offensive weapon and if they actually hold on to Martell, The guy can score when given the chance! I dont think he got enough playing time in Portland to actually show what he has.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Another horrible trade by Minny's GM. He's an idiot. Forgetting the fact that Portland gets Babbit:

per 36 minutes career
Gomes: 14.2 ppg, 6.3 rbg, 1.9 apg, 45.3% fg, 36.1% 3pt
Webster: 13.1 ppg, 4.8 rbg, 1.2 apg, 40.7% fg, 37.2 3pt

PER
Gomes 13.6
Webster 11.6

So basically, Gomes is better than Webster AND Portland gets Babbit. Rapeage. Minny's GM should resign.

fadedmario
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Horrible trade for the Wolves. Webster is nothing special

Jenceman
06-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Great move for the Blazers

cwilson21
06-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Another horrible trade by Minny's GM. He's an idiot. Forgetting the fact that Portland gets Babbit:

per 36 minutes career

PER
Gomes 13.6
Webster 11.6

So basically, Gomes is better than Webster AND Portland gets Babbit. Rapeage. Minny's GM should resign.

Aside the fact that Webster is 4 years younger, is a better defender, and can play the 2 instead of just the 3 which Johnson will now assume as the starter.

hugepatsfan
06-25-2010, 12:58 AM

per 36 minutes career

PER
Gomes 13.6
Webster 11.6

He is a moron. Maybe he thought Webster had PG skills. lol

hugepatsfan
06-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Aside the fact that Webster is 4 years younger, is a better defender, and can play the 2 instead of just the 3 which Johnson will now assume as the starter.

Why not take James Anderson at 16? Then you have your SG AND Gomes.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-25-2010, 01:14 AM
David Kahn ??? BASH THE KNICKS ALL U WANT but Im glad he's not the NY gm... But i do like the Wesley Johnson pick.. They need to send NJ a card for not taking him or their draft would be totally screwed...

Oefarmy2005
06-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Hmm, we in Minnesota don't get that trade either, but there are other people who are much better talent evaluators than Kahn on that staff, so I hope they know what they are doing. Also, I would still take Kahn 10/10 times over the last GM the Knicks had.

Oefarmy2005
06-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Also, you all are putting way too much blame on Kahn. He is the numbers guy, and I guarantee that his input in personnel is minimal, so when he says we like so and so it means Ronzone, Rambis, Theus, Lambeer, Wohl like so and so.

Oefarmy2005
06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Right now, it's a bad move for the Wolves. Hopefully I am proven wrong.

Lakersho
06-25-2010, 01:33 AM
...portland must have naked pics of kahn in a compromizing position or something,but then again i never understand the way they draft... good draft , wierd trade...

xbrackattackx
06-25-2010, 01:34 AM
I don't quite get this one. But I do like Babbitt.

Silent
06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Nice move for a gm that got fired if i was pritchard i wouldnt of done **** for the blazers

Bob_at_york
06-25-2010, 07:56 AM
I heard Gomes has a buy-out (heard that when they talked about Beasley for Gomes), could Portland buy him out?

boeknows
06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
The reason this trade was made was because they wanted to get rid of Gomes contract and not pay him for the next three years and to get some experience at the wing position. Webster is a good player when he gets mins and he will get a lot of them with the Wolves at the SF and SG positions.

Hawkeye15
06-25-2010, 08:39 PM

per 36 minutes career

PER
Gomes 13.6
Webster 11.6

why don't we compare the last 2 seasons that Webster played healthy, vs the last 2 seasons for Gomes?
Oh, and there is the whole contractual thing, but most think like a fan, not a financial guy

Hawkeye15
06-25-2010, 08:43 PM
"We had already made the decision internally that it was not in our interest to maintain Ryan beyond June 30," Wolves president David Kahn said, because of a clause in his contract that would have guaranteed his $4.2 million salary for next year, and an additional $9 million over the following two seasons. If the Wolves had bought out Gomes, they would have been charged roughly $1 million against the salary cap in each of the next three years. (David Kahn)

here ya go critics. I will go ahead and list the #16 picks from 2001-2009 now...

James Johnson
Maurice Speights
Nick Young
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Kirby Snyder
Troy Bell
Jiri Welch
Kirk Haston

at best, role players. Have fun with Babbit, who will get raped by opposing SF/PF's for years to come

Hawkeye15
06-25-2010, 08:44 PM
education is fun, isn't it kids.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
"We had already made the decision internally that it was not in our interest to maintain Ryan beyond June 30," Wolves president David Kahn said, because of a clause in his contract that would have guaranteed his $4.2 million salary for next year, and an additional $9 million over the following two seasons. If the Wolves had bought out Gomes, they would have been charged roughly $1 million against the salary cap in each of the next three years. (David Kahn)

here ya go critics. I will go ahead and list the #16 picks from 2001-2009 now...

James Johnson
Maurice Speights
Nick Young
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Kirby Snyder
Troy Bell
Jiri Welch
Kirk Haston

at best, role players. Have fun with Babbit, who will get raped by opposing SF/PF's for years to come

education is fun, isn't it kids.

I hate when people pull out meaningless **** like past picks at a certain slot to make your argument. We get it, you think Webster is good. I'm just telling you that Webster is a streaky shooter with some talent but I'd rather roll the die and take a project in Babbs than have Webster again.

Hawkeye15
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I hate when people pull out meaningless **** like past picks at a certain slot to make your argument. We get it, you think Webster is good. I'm just telling you that Webster is a streaky shooter with some talent but I'd rather roll the die and take a project in Babbs than have Webster again.

no, I providing evidence that the #16 picks are typically guys who either are mid majors, had a great tourney, or tested well in the combine. They rarely turn into players. There is no arguing with history.
I don't think Webster is all that great. I am simply saying, if you want to slam the Wolves, learn the fkin details first. Cause you get posters pulling out career PER's, and slamming Kahn, and its ridiculous.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
no, I providing evidence that the #16 picks are typically guys who either are mid majors, had a great tourney, or tested well in the combine. They rarely turn into players. There is no arguing with history.
I don't think Webster is all that great. I am simply saying, if you want to slam the Wolves, learn the fkin details first. Cause you get posters pulling out career PER's, and slamming Kahn, and its ridiculous.

Difference is pretty much we know what Webster is, he's ok. But Babbitt could be a good player regardless of your stupid "16th pick" dilemma. I also don't think Wolves fans in 10 years will be screaming,"Why oh why did we trade Babbitt away!" either.

topdog
06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Do you all really think Babbit is that great? A tall white guy from Nevada... I only say that in jest but seriously I don't think he's anything too terribly special. Webster is still young and still has potential - he's about the age of a college senior.

To pull up some more recent history, what happens when young players get out of Portland? Their numbers go up! Frye disappeared there, as did what was his name..., Rudy's feeling the same thing too. Guys get buried, especially wings who are stuck behind Roy and now Batum.

blackjack_119
06-26-2010, 12:18 AM
The reason this trade was made was because they wanted to get rid of Gomes contract and not pay him for the next three years and to get some experience at the wing position. Webster is a good player when he gets mins and he will get a lot of them with the Wolves at the SF and SG positions.

1. Gomes contract can be bought out for $1M. Enjoy paying Webster 10x that over the next two years.

2. The argument that "Webster is good when he gets minutes" is ********. Martell Webster "got minutes" the few times that he could be considered "good."

blackjack_119
06-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Do you all really think Babbit is that great? A tall white guy from Nevada... I only say that in jest but seriously I don't think he's anything too terribly special. Webster is still young and still has potential - he's about the age of a college senior.

To pull up some more recent history, what happens when young players get out of Portland? Their numbers go up! Frye disappeared there, as did what was his name..., Rudy's feeling the same thing too. Guys get buried, especially wings who are stuck behind Roy and now Batum.

If the Wolves acquire Steve Nash, I'd say that Webster has the potential to take a similar jump in production to Frye. I don't see Jonny Flynn improving players the way that Nash does.

joswcunn
06-26-2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjd7L6txGLk&feature=related

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Difference is pretty much we know what Webster is, he's ok. But Babbitt could be a good player regardless of your stupid "16th pick" dilemma. I also don't think Wolves fans in 10 years will be screaming,"Why oh why did we trade Babbitt away!" either.

Babbit "could" be, sure. And I simply listed the last 9 picks at that slot. Its not assuring anything, but its a trend that hasn't been broken. Those picks are almost always role players.
And Webster is an upgrade over Brewer and Babbit, so I am still not sure how this deal is not considered at least even in some's minds.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 09:58 AM
If the Wolves acquire Steve Nash, I'd say that Webster has the potential to take a similar jump in production to Frye. I don't see Jonny Flynn improving players the way that Nash does.

but Rubio does...

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
1. Gomes contract can be bought out for $1M. Enjoy paying Webster 10x that over the next two years.

2. The argument that "Webster is good when he gets minutes" is ********. Martell Webster "got minutes" the few times that he could be considered "good."

If we didn't trade Gomes by June 30, he was guaranteed $4.2 million. If we cut him outright, we got a $1 cap hit for the next three years, until his contract matured. Babbit would have made $1.5 million over the next few years. So, let's add that up peeps. We would have had a $2.5 million tab for Babbit essentially. Now, we trade Babbit for Webster, and we are basically paying $2.5 million a year for Webster over what we would have been paying Babbit, with a serious upgrade in the player himself, therefore the Wolves saved money in the long run.

I have no clue if Webster will ever be a good player or not. But super athletic floor spreaders who are 23, and played on a team that never gave him consistent playing time or a defined role, are worth a shot over a kid who was picked 16th, and will be eaten alive on the defensive end. The Wolves can't keep drafting rookie after rookie at this point. Portland fans know this process.

fadedmario
06-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Horrible move for Minnesota.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Portland can cut him and pay $1 million and be done. The Wolves would have had to pay $1 million a year for the next 3 years, because they are the originators of the deal. Not sure if this was understood on Gomes.

Oefarmy2005
06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
You know you are a Pistons fan right? Look at the contracts of Vilanueva and Gordon. :)

But overall, yeah dumb move for the Wolves - maybe, but I think it will work out. In Kahn We Trust!

Hype
06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Babbit for Webster = 2011 version of the Jermaine O' Neal to the Pacers trade.

Kakaroach
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
The Blazers plan on releasing Ryan Gomes, who came over in a trade with the Timberwolves on draft day.

They're looking to avoid paying him the remaining three years of his contract and Gomes isn't even scheduled to travel to Portland. Gomes is too good a player to sit out for long, so expect him to be picked up by another team this summer.

Apparently the T-Blaze are just gonna release Ryan Gomes, he could be a good pick-up for some other team:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_plan_to_release_ryan_g.html

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Babbit for Webster = 2011 version of the Jermaine O' Neal to the Pacers trade.

I hope so

Hawkeye15
06-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Apparently the T-Blaze are just gonna release Ryan Gomes, he could be a good pick-up for some other team:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_plan_to_release_ryan_g.html

he would be nice for depth on a contender.

Red Hot Rolllin
06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Minnestota fan tell me why with Webster in the works why not draft Cousins to play Center with Love and Jeff as your 4's? You hit a nice stand up safe double with Wes but you could hit a grand slam walk off with a 20-10 center to go with Love. Granted you could strike out with Cousins its worth the risk to me with your current roster.

Red Hot Rolllin
06-26-2010, 12:15 PM

With trading Webster for a rookie salary, Blazers look to shed around 10 mil if we release Gomes. Moves still to come by Portland.

fadedmario
06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
You know you are a Pistons fan right? Look at the contracts of Vilanueva and Gordon. :)

But overall, yeah dumb move for the Wolves - maybe, but I think it will work out. In Kahn We Trust!

You know you are a Timerwolves fan right. Enough said.

boeknows
06-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Minnestota fan tell me why with Webster in the works why not draft Cousins to play Center with Love and Jeff as your 4's? You hit a nice stand up safe double with Wes but you could hit a grand slam walk off with a 20-10 center to go with Love. Granted you could strike out with Cousins its worth the risk to me with your current roster.

With all the problems Cousins has with maturity the Wolves just thought he wouldnt be a good fit.

chonbon
06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
luke babbit will be an all star in 5 years... baller

Nighthawk
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Guarantee he signs with Boston. He never wanted to leave. He'll be cheap and a nice addition to the bench

boeknows
06-26-2010, 10:36 PM

I doubt that he is going to get enough playing time to be an all star unless its with a different team. I also think he has a better chance of turning out to be like Luke Jackson than an all star.

D-Will4Prez
06-26-2010, 10:51 PM
sigh...now Wes Johnson, Cole Aldrich, AND Luke Babbitt are all in our division...great :cry:

LTBaByyy
06-26-2010, 10:57 PM

:facepalm: You know he's in the western conference?

If he was in the eastern then 25% chance

hugepatsfan
06-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Gomes to BOS!!!

blazerman
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM

You mean like they do with Brandon Roy, haha

Webster was a 6th pick and he is nothing more than a role player in the 2nd unit.

I bet Webster will find a way to become the backup 2 for the Wolves because he's weak minded.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 04:42 PM

cause there is just as good of a chance Cousins never gets it that there is he is a 20-10 center. He shows tendencies of being uncoachable.

AddiX
06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Why doesnt Minny draft players they actually want to play for them? Everytime they do something I am completely lost as to what kind of team/system they are building. None of it makes any sense.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Why doesnt Minny draft players they actually want to play for them? Everytime they do something I am completely lost as to what kind of team/system they are building. None of it makes any sense.

not sure who you are referring to. Being from NY, I would assume you are still upset Rubio went to us.

muddy waters
06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
What Kahn has done since taken over this team was address one area in each of his two drafts.
Last year he went with PG's and they happen to be the strength of the draft.
This year he went with SF position again the strength of this year draft.
Kahn did not come to the T-Wolves to turn it around in one year. It takes time and shuffling of players.

Now the Webster trade. Say what you want about it. Webster in my eyes is still a Rookie. in age and the time and role he had at portland. Gomes was nothing more than a cap move for both teams. So, it come down to Babbit or Webster... Sure most fans are going to bash Webster only because they saw what he has done so far in the NBA. There is still a lot of basketball left to play with him.

WSU Tony
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Horrible move for Minnesota.

You feel like you have an opinion on the subject but you just don't have enough knowledge to back it up.

If you could, you would type more than "horrible move for minnesota."

:laugh:

WSU Tony
06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Webster sucks, another horrible Minny trade.

Not if you understand that $ plays a role in basektball. "Another" horrible trade? How about the Love for Mayo trade? Minnesota rocked that trade (agian, if you understand $). Oh, and Mike Miller and Randy Foye (who won't even make Washingtons roster this year) for Ricky Rubio? Do you know how much hype Rubio will bring to this town in a year from now? Rubio for Miller and Foye, that's domination.

You can't name "another" bad trade because their HAVEN'T BEEN ANY!

Some of you simply think anything Minnesota does is terrible without even looking into the trade. I stand by my opinion tha tif you could back up your comment, you would have already.

Your simply uneducated in this trade.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
here is the problem. 90% of PSD fans know nothing of any team outside their own. And of those 10% who actually follow the rest of the NBA, a large percentage don't know the small market teams, or the teams that just don't interest them to any specific gauge. If you don't have something insightful to say, with justified evidence, I just don't get why you post anyways.
basically, how can you judge this trade when Gomes was released in a day, and Babbit hasn't played an NBA game while Webster has shown he will stick in the league as a shooter/defender at the very least, as a bad one for Minnesota? There is no rational explanation