PDA

View Full Version : NBA Setup change suggestion

natedZA
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I know this obviously won't come into fruition but it would be nice to hear what everyone else thinks about this. The first thing that I've been thinking about is to decrease the number of games in a season. 82 games in a season?! Are you joking with me? 82 games played to eliminate 14 teams out of 30? It just does not make sense to me. Surely if the number of games that each team plays was decreased to around 40-50 , the quality of the games would be so much better. Just an example, I honestly don't care at all if the team that I'm supporting looses just because it doesn't really make a difference and the impact of a loss is just not great enough. Yes, we can say the upside is home court advantage but still, it doesn't settle with me. If the no. of games was decreased, EVERY game would mean a lot as at the end it could be the difference of playoff entry and I GUARANTEE you that the quality of the game would increase exponentially.

Playing 4-5 days a week of a really brutal and physical game also doesn't make sense to me. Every game night (with a decreased amount of games) , Lebron, Kobe would all put their hart and all their energy into EVERY game as each game makes a huge difference compared to playing 82 games a season where a loss really does not have a big impact. I'm happy with the league split into two as there is no other real way to get around it. With the decrease in the amount of games, there could now be implementation of a global championship whereby the NBA franchises would play against different franchises all over the world. The reason for these suggestions as I really hate to see such an amazing sport ruined and not being having such great participation as sports such as soccer, just because it is ruled by the way Americans like to play sports - being just nationally.

Then with play-offs , I have never understood why a series should go up to 7 GAMES! 7?!!! That is absolutely ridiculous, the soccer world cup has ONE game as the final , as the biggest sporting event in the world, I don't see it having a problem. Now, I'm not saying only have one game, I'm saying have 3 ; one game home , one game away, and one game at a neutral venue . This would be extremely fair and would have a significant effect on the quality of the games.

I would really like to hear how you guys feel about this...

maddBat
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
uhh. its their job. thats wat it takes 2 make cash.. baseball players play like 180 something games.

natedZA
06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
uhh. its their job. thats wat it takes 2 make cash.. baseball players play like 180 something games.

It may be their job but when you compare the amount of games they play to other professional sports, you start to see the disparity.

king4day
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
It's no different than Hockey.
Baseball has nearly twice as many games because they aren't running around non stop wearing themselves out and their pitchers go once every 5 days.
Football is another beast in itself (much like Soccer and Rugby).

I can understand the argument of reducing the amount of games played, but we'll never see it since it's all about the money these days.

Klivlend
06-24-2010, 12:53 PM
The MLB season is 162 games.

natedZA
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
The MLB season is 162 games.

I'm sorry but comparing the fitness levels or the intensity of the work done of the NBA to the MLB just can't be done