PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Big 3 after the 2010 Season and Celtics Big 3 after the 1987 Season

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Celtics Big 3 after the 2010 Season and Celtics Big 3 after the 1987 Season

In 1987 after the Celtics lost in the Finals to the Lakers, it became apparent that the C's needed to make moves in order to beat the Lakers in the future.

Should the C's management had traded either Mchale or Parish after the 1987 Season? I think at that point it was clear they needed to make moves if they ever wanted to win it all again. True, they won 57 games in 1988, 1989 (Bird injured), they won 52 games in 1990 and 56 games in 1991, but they never made it back to even the Conference Finals again.

Should the C's had traded either Mchale or Parish at the time? If so what could they have possibly gotten?

Also should the Celtics team now begin to trade off some of their Big 3?

mikantsass
06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I dont remember the cap structure (if there was one) back in the late 80s so I cant answer the first part.

But should they break up this "new" big 3, well im going to give the generic answer. It depends what they can get. I dont like the idea of breaking up the big three just because they are "too old" and get nothing in return. If Danny can improve the team while trading/letting someone walk then do it.

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I dont remember the cap structure (if there was one) back in the late 80s so I cant answer the first part.

But should they break up this "new" big 3, well im going to give the generic answer. It depends what they can get. I dont like the idea of breaking up the big three just because they are "too old" and get nothing in return. If Danny can improve the team while trading/letting someone walk then do it.

I think the only threat now is Rondo, and if he can't hit open shots, then he does no good for them with a bigger defender on him.

X12Celtics3
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Danny Ainge touched on this on WEEI yesterday. You can listen to it here (http://audio.weei.com/m/31979918/danny-ainge-celtics-gm.htm#seek=790.489) if you are interested. The stuff about the Big Three starts a little bit after the nine minute mark.

mikantsass
06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I think the only threat now is Rondo, and if he can't hit open shots, then he does no good for them with a bigger defender on him.

If the only threat is Rondo, please explain to me how they were sooooo close to winning a ring this year?

magichatnumber9
06-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Rondo's shot keeps improving every year so I'm not going to sweat it. But yes if they had traded the big three back in the eighties and got value back we would have at least two more championships then we do now,,, maybe more.. Remember we have had some serious bad luck after the eighties.

J4KOP99
06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
The thing about Rondo is that, he can work all he wants on his shot but it can't improve that drastically.

His hands are too big. It honestly makes a huge difference. It's the reason Shaq can't shoot foul shots. Rondo can't control the ball when he shoots and that is not something he can practice.

He will never be a solid shooter.

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
If the only threat is Rondo, please explain to me how they were sooooo close to winning a ring this year?

Meaning you can't have a guy as your main player and main offensive player that can't score whenever he needs to.