PDA

View Full Version : Wizards, Magic Might Be Talking Gilbert Arenas For Vince Carter Swap

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 12:00 AM
http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/6/23/1533654/rumor-wizards-could-trade-gilbert

Hearing some chatter from a trusted NBA source about a potential Gilbert Arenas for Vince Carter trade in the works. Wonder how real it is.

NastyRud
06-24-2010, 12:09 AM
LOL, I was mentioning this trade on FaceBook last week. I think this would be great for Orlando.

*Silver&Black*
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Do you think if it happens, the Wiz might waive Carter after or play him? With them rebuilding and all.

Sixerlover
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Orlando would be tied into about $175 million from just 3 players in the future (Arenas, Lewis, Howard) thats brutal!

still1ballin
06-24-2010, 12:11 AM
:laugh2:

Raps08-09 Champ
06-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Would Howard really benifit from another shoot first PG(And he's really shoot first) with Arenas. And what does that mean for Jameer?

LTBaByyy
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Good for washington!!! Contract wise...

Wall
Carter
Howard
FA (Lee or Boozer upset)
Blatche

Bench
Foye
Young
Thorton
McGee

Lakers4ItAll
06-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Didnt someone post this already?

black1605
06-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Didnt someone post this already?

yes

Tony_Starks
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Would Howard really benifit from another shoot first PG(And he's really shoot first) with Arenas. And what does that mean for Jameer?

Gilbert has always been pretty good with assist, his scoring usually comes in bunches. I think he was at about 26 and 8 before he screwed off last season.

But to answer you're question I actually like Gilbert better than Nelson as pg because he's taller. To me Nelson got exposed against the Celtics because he couldn't see over the defender to get Howard the ball on the move consistently. Boston had absolutely no answer for the pick and roll but Nelson kept missing Howard wide open because he couldn't see him in time...

The Jokemaker
06-24-2010, 12:46 AM
I'd see this as becoming Nelson at PG, Arenas at SG. And I think it would be a good move and give them a guy who isn't afraid to step up and make a big shot in the big moment. If they can't get Paul, then I say go for it.

kozelkid
06-24-2010, 12:49 AM
It's not like Orlando's contract situation can be any worse. Might as well take a flier. Otherwise, it's likely another wasted season cause with their current team they aren't good enough. They NEED another go-to player. Whether Arenas can be that again is hard to tell, but you might as well take the risk cause Carter sucks and given Lewis's and Howard's contracts, it's not like they will be able to get anyone with Carter's expiring, considering 2011 looks to suck in FA.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Why not do it..Vince Carter didn't seem to fit in as well as the Magic had hoped and if Gilbert can be Gilbert again then they get an incredible scorer. I may be in the minority on this one but I would like this for the Magic.

Wiz kids
06-24-2010, 12:58 AM
As a Wiz fan it sounds to good to be true. It would probably be Arenas for Carter + Lewis to get it done

carter15
06-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Carter would be a good wingman for Wall I think. Look what he did in Jersey with Devin and Brook.
I'd rather if Vince stayed though.

abe_froman
06-24-2010, 01:13 AM
wizards to bite on this quick and laugh after

Tony_Starks
06-24-2010, 01:16 AM
It's not like Orlando's contract situation can be any worse. Might as well take a flier. Otherwise, it's likely another wasted season cause with their current team they aren't good enough. They NEED another go-to player. Whether Arenas can be that again is hard to tell, but you might as well take the risk cause Carter sucks and given Lewis's and Howard's contracts, it's not like they will be able to get anyone with Carter's expiring, considering 2011 looks to suck in FA.

Thats how I see it. The risk is far worth the reward. Arenas will have a lot to prove so if he returns to allstar form or even near it Orlando would be a real problem for the east...hell for the whole league.

MagicBucsSox
06-24-2010, 06:39 AM
the end of this nonsense is right here

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/6/24/1533877/lee-orlando-magic-discussed

Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress nearly gave every Orlando Magic fan in the world a heart attack tonight when he posted this message on his Twitter account:

Hearing some chatter from a trusted NBA source about a potential Gilbert Arenas for Vince Carter trade in the works. Wonder how real it is.

More details about that rumored swap have emerged, however, and the deal is off. Perhaps more precisely, the deal was never on. Wizards beat writer Michael Lee of the Washington Post explains:

The Washington Wizards spoke with the Orlando Magic recently about a potential swap of Gilbert Arenas for Vince Carter, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation. The source added that the talks didn't get very far and that it was merely a "business as usual" exploratory conversation between teams around the NBA draft. "Nothing to it now," the source said.

Another league source vehemently shot down speculation that Magic General Manager Otis Smith is pursuing Arenas, considering their close relationship. One prominent player agent sounded less than optimistic about the possible deal. "Not going to happen," he said.

David Aldridge of NBA.com, as well-connected a reporter as any covering the league, further doused the flames by saying Lee "is on the money" and that "the Magic have no interest" in making that deal. If anything, it sounds like Washington was the team most interested. Consider Lee's language, which suggests the Wizards initiated the talks ("the Wizards spoke to the Magic," with "the Magic" acting as the direct object of the verb "spoke") in combination with Aldridge's assertion that Orlando isn't interested.

There are myriad reasons why, but to me, the biggest is Arenas' contract. According to ShamSports, Arenas is owed roughly $80 million over the next four seasons. And while the Magic, in win-now mode, are willing to take on salary, they won't do it for a player of Arenas' caliber. Yes, Arenas is a three-time All-Star who scored 22.6 points per game last season prior to his suspension for gunplay, but he's also inefficient, yet to prove himself fully healthy after knee surgery three years ago, and as big a defensive liability as there is in this league. Absolutely too much risk for Orlando to take on, and for a middling reward.

NYKalltheway
06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
That's only good for Washington

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-24-2010, 07:02 AM
As a Wiz fan it sounds to good to be true. It would probably be Arenas for Carter + Lewis to get it done

hell no

lewis has the most horrible contract in the entire league, c'mon wiz fans you don't want that guy lol

magichatnumber9
06-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Orlando Orlando don't do it.

S-Dot
06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I actually like this potential move for both teams. Gilbert Arenas is the type of player who can take over games on the offensive end, something Orlando missed in that Boston series. I wonder if Orlando would then use Jameer as trade bait.

Killabeaz
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
This would be a terrible trade for the 'Zards. Over the course of his career, Vince Carter has never shown that he could step up in big moments. What he has shown is that if he's not in a winning situation, you can't even count on him to play hard. Gil has more heart in his left ventricle than Vince has in his entire body, and Gil has something to prove. Vince is so arrogant that he thinks he is already a proven commodity, a HOF'er--which he is not. If you think Gil could possibly be a bad influence on John Wall, then why should you believe that a showpony like "Vinsanity" would be any better? The best bet is to begin the season with Wall and Arenas as your backcourt. Best case scenario you have a dynamic guard tandem. Worst case, Gil plays his value up and you can make a deal for him at the trade deadline or at the end of next year.

S-Dot
06-24-2010, 08:42 AM
This would be a terrible trade for the 'Zards. Over the course of his career, Vince Carter has never shown that he could step up in big moments. What he has shown is that if he's not in a winning situation, you can't even count on him to play hard. Gil has more heart in his left ventricle than Vince has in his entire body, and Gil has something to prove. Vince is so arrogant that he thinks he is already a proven commodity, a HOF'er--which he is not. If you think Gil could possibly be a bad influence on John Wall, then why should you believe that a showpony like "Vinsanity" would be any better? The best bet is to begin the season with Wall and Arenas as your backcourt. Best case scenario you have a dynamic guard tandem. Worst case, Gil plays his value up and you can make a deal for him at the trade deadline or at the end of next year.

I agree. Gil is going to come back and play with a chip on his shoulder and have a really good season, but I think the Wizards are going in a new direction, looking to get better in the draft and save some money. Magic are the only team I've heard that have interest in that contract, and the Wiz can take the risk on Vince since his contract is set to expire.

j-bay
06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
gettin rid of gilbert would mean 2 things 1 going after lebron this year or 2 going after kevin durant next year(dc native)

Raoul Duke
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
That's a great move or the Wizards (addition by subtraction at it's finest). Orlando, on the other hand, comes out looking like they're determined to take on all the worst contracts in the league. How long does Milwaukee have to wait before they can send over Maggette?

Killabeaz
06-26-2010, 06:44 AM
gettin rid of gilbert would mean 2 things 1 going after lebron this year or 2 going after kevin durant next year(dc native)

I hope you're kidding. (1) Lebron would NEVER come here. (2) KD and OKC are already working on an extension. With the talent he has around him, why would he come here? He can watch the Redskins, the Caps, and the Nats on I'm what is I'm sure a freakishly large flatscreen in his freakishly large mansion.

magichatnumber9
06-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I love this idea

drobe86
06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Hell no. I wouldn't give you Gilbert for that has been vince Carter. Gilbert has played 48 games in the 3 years and he's still superior to Vince "I've never shown up in a game that matters" Carter..

carter15
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Hell no. I wouldn't give you Gilbert for that has been vince Carter. Gilbert has played 48 games in the 3 years and he's still superior to Vince "I've never shown up in a game that matters" Carter..

Not never, just not very often.

headbusta15
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
no this is not good, i like Arenas but he gets hurt too often, id rather trade VC for Al Thorton and Foye

shep33
06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Makes no sense for the Magic.

LTBaByyy
06-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Im tired of hearing Magic Rumors, their all rumors!!! First Deng, then Paul, Now Arenas

Geeze give it a rest until something is serious

xabial
06-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Give them the 1st rounder Wizards!
You cant waste this opportunity
2011 1st rounder.
2012 swap
Gilbert
For VC.

I like it.

Sadds The Gr8
06-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Sure...Orlando can do this deal...and then become just as bankrupt as Antoine Walker in a couple years.

beasted86
06-26-2010, 01:41 PM
SVG won't want to coach Gilbert

Lo Porto
06-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Good trade for both teams. Washington will be better off with Wall, Hinrich and the expiring contract. Orlando needs another weapon that Vince couldn't provide. Orlando should ask for more in the trade though since Vince fills the seats and Areanas is owed so much down the road.

*Superman*
06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't want this stupid trade.

JordansBulls
06-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Why would the Magic do this though?

PrettyBoyJ
06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
this trade makes no sense.. they wud go from bad to worst IMO

VinceCarter
06-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Just because he didn't fit into the Magic lineup doesn't mean he sucks.

JordansBulls
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
this trade makes no sense.. they wud go from bad to worst IMO

Imagine how small the Magic's backcourt would be?

Aussy4GM
06-27-2010, 11:39 PM
how many guards do they got?

AllTimeBest
06-28-2010, 03:47 PM
According to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, "A person with knowledge of the Magic’s plans said a trade for Gilbert Arenas ... remains a 'definite possibility'."

Orlando GM Otis Smith has a good relationship with Arenas, but Dwight Howard apparently isn't sure how Agent Zero would fit in. Whether or not this amounts to anything, it's obvious that the Magic want to add significant pieces this summer.

rotoworld

-

JordansBulls
06-28-2010, 04:07 PM
-

Who is this individual saying this?

j-bay
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
gilbert for carter may still happen
http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/vince_carter

JordansBulls
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Whatever happened to this deal? Would Orlando still do this?

kozelkid
08-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Orlando might as well take the risk unless they believe they have a chance at Paul. Let's be honest, this current team isn't going to beat LA or even Boston anytime soon. They need a shake up. If Arenas can be his 06-07 self, then that team is nasty.

EDIT: damn it, JB bumped an old thread

bal_ravens
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I dont think it was as close to happening as people thought. I couldn't see the Wizards doing it anyway. I think Gilbert has a good chance to turn it around this season, and we will still have some good potential cap space next year to sign a good free agent.

Avenged
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Infraction for JB, bumped an old thread. :laugh2:

John Walls Era
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Magic shouldn't do this. Is Gilbert even allowed to play next year? Regardless, don't forget that he was coming off an injury 2 years ago.

kozelkid
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Infraction for JB, bumped an old thread. :laugh2:

He does this crap all the time, it's so damn annoying.

thephoenixson28
08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Why does JB always get hated on.

mikealike305
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Great for Orlando..... Idk if I would do this if I was the wiz tho

hgtiger32
08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
bad bad trade for Orlando...if they are gonna pursue a trade they shoulda gone after CP3 harder...but give Vince another year to gel with this team and i think they'll be okay...losing barnes sucks tho

mikealike305
08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
bad bad trade for Orlando...if they are gonna pursue a trade they shoulda gone after CP3 harder...but give Vince another year to gel with this team and i think they'll be okay...losing barnes sucks tho

bad trade for orlando? a guy like gilbert would be perfect for them. plus doesnt really matter how hard they pushed for CP3 it wouldnt have happend

Raph12
08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
The Magic wouldn't touch Gil's contract, especially while they still have Shard.

Their president/co-owner (Bob) said they'd be willing to do whatever it takes to become a better team, that may mean taking on big, long term contracts, but that's more like absorbing Okafor and Posey's contract to land CP3, not trading a $17m expiring for Arenas.

ManRam
08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
No. There is a zero percent chance this happens. Makes no sense for Orlando financially.

Let's let it die again.

JuggernautJ
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
:speechless:

Blackjack24
08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
It's financial suicide. The Magic would have to dump Gortat or Lewis to make this happen. I can't see it all.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, no magic on the finals then.

Khalifa21
08-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Why oh why was this bumped?

It was a ridiculous trade suggestion before and is still a ridiculous trade suggestion.