PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Shaq going from Team to Team?

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 11:43 PM
First he started in Orlando and stayed there for 4 years. Then he went to LA and stayed 8 years, but then he went to Miami and stayed only 3 years. Was in Phoenix 1.5 years and then he went to Cleveland for 1 year. Now it appears he will go somewhere else.

Does going from team to team when you are a top 10 player all time really help your case, or does it seem like you are cherry picking to get rings?

black1605
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
the teams have to want him too you know

albertc86
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Wouldn't say it tarnishes his legacy but it does show a reliance on another superstar to win a title --- or at least chase one.

td0tsfinest
06-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't think it matters. When its all said and done, he will go down as one of the greatest players to play the game.

spurs4#5
06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
i think its really common for players who dont spend most of their careers or all of it with one team to move around multiple times towards the end of their careers. thats why you see people like pierce, duncan, kobe get locked up quick cuz they've been loyal in staying with their respected teams

GSW Hoops
06-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Seems like Shaq wears out his welcome pretty quickly these days.

fredo832
06-24-2010, 12:42 AM
well now the most he will ever be on a team is just as a back up. I would not mind him at all if he comes to houston.

king4day
06-24-2010, 12:44 AM
He only left one team and signed with another and that was LA. He was drafted by Orlando, traded to Miami where he then resigned, Phoenix, and Cleveland.
Like someone said, the team has to want him too.
I see no problem with his career. Especially since he took 3 of 5 teams to the finals and won 4 rings.

GSW Hoops
06-24-2010, 02:19 AM
He should make another Shaq Fu video game.

vancitysfinest
06-24-2010, 03:06 AM
IMO, I don't think it tarnish's his legacy. After all hes no longer a guy you can build a team around given by his age.

I'd like to see where this guy ends up this off-season!

stawka
06-24-2010, 03:17 AM
When you've won 4 rings and have been proven time and time again to make others around you better, then I guess it's OK. If it was in his prime and he was moving all over the place, I would say he's an idiot - but being at the end of the road, why would you want to play for a rebuilding team? If LeBron stays, Shaq will stay with the Cavs - If LeBron goes, Shaq will go too. Do you honestly blame the guy?

lakerfan3118
06-24-2010, 03:19 AM
I can't exactly see what contender would want him at this point. He slows the offense down, he's somewhat of a liability defensively, and aside from giving you a few standout offensive games, he's an average offensive player at best. You can find younger, more cost effective options in the FA pool in an increasingly cost efficient NBA right now.

_KB24_
06-24-2010, 03:42 AM
If he stayed with us in LA, he would have been a Top 3 player all time for us, but now he doesn't even fit the Top 5. He won't be remembered as a Lakers great IMO, he will just be known as an all time great in the NBA.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-24-2010, 03:56 AM
If he stayed with us in LA, he would have been a Top 3 player all time for us, but now he doesn't even fit the Top 5. He won't be remembered as a Lakers great IMO, he will just be known as an all time great in the NBA.

He should be considered a Laker great, without Shaq you can kiss those 3 rings goodbye.

jaji10
06-24-2010, 04:21 AM
he will be a laker great no doubt, his no. will be retired definitely, but he will be behind kobe magic and kareem as lakers all time greats..

TheWatcher34
06-24-2010, 04:30 AM
he can call himself a cosmopolitan. been everywhere...

UnWantedTheory
06-24-2010, 04:32 AM
The only reason the Lakers went to 4 finals in a row and won 3 of them was because of Shaq. Then he went on to Miami to be, I suppose, the second best player on that team to win his 4th. Also to be noted was the Finals appearance in Orlando. None of those championships or Finals appearances would have happened if it were not for him. The last few years are different though. He has been little more than a role player due to age for the better part of 3 seasons. He couldnt stop from aging just like the rest of us. It happens. He is now looked at as an experienced big bodied role player that could help, not a championship fix. I see no problems with his career, as he will go down as one of the best...but I dont see him as top 10. I see him more as top 15 to 20. Its funny how Kobe will go down in some fans eyes as a guy(thus far) who has 5 rings but **** with Shaq because he only has 4. Not alot of people want to remember that Shaq won 3 of those with Kobe riding his coat tails. Shaq is a douche, but he was/is a great player that deserves respect for his on-court accomplishments as the best player on all of his teams with the exception of the last several years.

GspLAL
06-24-2010, 05:57 AM
It won't tarnish his legacy but people generally respect players who stick with one team through thick and thin.

Bruno
06-24-2010, 05:58 AM
If he didn't already have four, it would be worse than it is. It'd look more desperate. At this point he's just looking to get on a contending squad who will be in the playoffs, where he doesn't have to play heavy minutes. I hope he comes back to LA and retires a Laker. He's never been a one team guy, but he should retire a Laker where he got most of those rings- it would be a fitting conclusion to the story, riding out the final years of his career playing along side a prime KB. Just like it should have been the whole time.

Bruno
06-24-2010, 06:01 AM
The only reason the Lakers went to 4 finals in a row and won 3 of them was because of Shaq. Then he went on to Miami to be, I suppose, the second best player on that team to win his 4th. Also to be noted was the Finals appearance in Orlando. None of those championships or Finals appearances would have happened if it were not for him. The last few years are different though. He has been little more than a role player due to age for the better part of 3 seasons. He couldnt stop from aging just like the rest of us. It happens. He is now looked at as an experienced big bodied role player that could help, not a championship fix. I see no problems with his career, as he will go down as one of the best...but I dont see him as top 10. I see him more as top 15 to 20. Its funny how Kobe will go down in some fans eyes as a guy(thus far) who has 5 rings but **** with Shaq because he only has 4. Not alot of people want to remember that Shaq won 3 of those with Kobe riding his coat tails. Shaq is a douche, but he was/is a great player that deserves respect for his on-court accomplishments as the best player on all of his teams with the exception of the last several years.

Four appearances in five years. Great players need other great players to win. DWade and Kobe don't win with out Shaq, Shaq doesn't win without them- thats how it works.

S-Dot
06-24-2010, 08:11 AM
i think with the lakers' current success, people already forget shaq's legacy and how he was arguably the most dominant center of all times. the fact that he keeps moving from team to team to get that 5th ring isn't helping his image though. I think it's time for him to retire. Quitting while you're ahead isn't always quitting. He has a personality made to be an NBA analyst; he should explore those options.

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 08:12 AM

I still think he has to be top 5. Not many players had a peak that he had with LA and not many players have 3 finals mvp's and 1 season MVP's with a team.

Klivlend
06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Wouldn't say it tarnishes his legacy but it does show a reliance on another superstar to win a title --- or at least chase one.

You could look at it this way. Or, you could say everyone wanted him to get them over the hump and to the promise land

_KB24_
06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I still think he has to be top 5. Not many players had a peak that he had with LA and not many players have 3 finals mvp's and 1 season MVP's with a team.

I guess but the way he left certainly hurts his stock. Even if he is Top 5 for LA, he squeaks in at 5. Kareem, Magic, Kobe, and West are piles ahead of him now.

MoBASS
06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
My thoughts are that he's a punk. Great player but he's burned bridges with a number teams. That tells you something..

JordansBulls
06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I guess but the way he left certainly hurts his stock. Even if he is Top 5 for LA, he squeaks in at 5. Kareem, Magic, Kobe, and West are piles ahead of him now.

True career wise with LA, however peak wise he can be considered the best.

cmellofan15
06-25-2010, 10:54 PM
heard he was moving on to team Edward next.

97NYer
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
You need to consider that he simply cannot produce at the level he used to. Shaq's dominating days are over...I really don't find it a bad thing that he wants to get more rings. If that floats his boat then what the heck. I think he can still produce as a backup no doubt.

NBAfan4life
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I would rather players ring chase than money chase. I like it, even though I would not like shaq on my team anymore

nick bush
06-25-2010, 11:08 PM
he would be the first ever and make history

The Jokemaker
06-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't have a problem with what he's doing. It's what most veterans are doing nowadays. Signing for cheap to play more of a bench role on a contending team. I don't think it tarnishes his legacy at all. And if people bring up the Lakers thing, remember the Lakers traded him because they chose Kobe over Shaq to build around because they couldnt' get along anymore. It's not like he chose to leave LA.

Lakers4ItAll
06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Shaq to the Thunder

JordanPippen
06-26-2010, 12:12 AM
he's a whore

JordanPippen
06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
:)

hotpotato1092
06-26-2010, 01:47 AM
I've said this continually about Shaq and think LeBron should listen: moving from team to team hurts your legacy. Shaq is a fantastic player, in terms of singular dominance there may never be another big man at Shaq's level, but the fact is he didn't have the same impacts on a single franchise that the other top 10 players did. MJ, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Russell, West, Kareem and Kobe all brought titles to their original teams. Shaq bolted his original team on bad terms, then he forced his way out of his second and third teams on bad terms, then left his fourth on pretty bad terms with their star (Nash). The bottom line, jumping around sort of proves that you don't have a commitment to team, you're all about yourself. LeBron has a very unique opportunity in Cleveland, he can bring his hometown their first title in over 50 years. Does he want to be known as the guy who saved sports in Cleveland, or bolted his hometown for greener pastures? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Knicks fan, I want LeBron, but if I were him I'd stay.

mrblisterdundee
06-26-2010, 01:59 AM
You can't equal the size of Shaq, unless you're playing Yao.

mrblisterdundee
06-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Shaq to the Thunder makes sense. They could use him part time and just pick up more youth in the front court.

jackdawson
06-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Shaq would have been the greatest Laker ever if he stayed.

kikeyanez
06-26-2010, 03:16 AM
shaq is washed up he needs to retire

IDB Josh M
06-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Moving from team to team waters down your legacy. Who do you think has a better legacy; Robert Horry (with 7 championship rings) or John Stockton (with zero rings)? The greatest Role player vs the greatest PG never to win a ring.

nico916
06-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Moving from team to team waters down your legacy. Who do you think has a better legacy; Robert Horry (with 7 championship rings) or John Stockton (with zero rings)? The greatest Role player vs the greatest PG never to win a ring.

wow don't compare Stockton and Horry ever again and don't say he's the greatest role player either and compare his ******** legacy to one of the greatest PG the world has ever seen. That's like comparing John Salley having more rings then Tim Duncan and saying the dude is a better winner.

Getting back to the subject I don't think moving from team to team hurts much but I do feel like him going to the Cav's did. He should have did his homework and see that, that team was not going to win a ring. Mike Brown ain't a Pill Jackson or a Pat Riley and should have kept that in mind because he experienced first hand what great coaching can do for you. He saw what it was like to be coached by Van Gundy then switching to an elite coach like Riley. Shaq has nothing to worry about and I think he should go to the Spurs or Miami but I say Spurs because of the coaching and the more mature players that are all about bringing you the business.

@day1up_Steve
06-26-2010, 04:05 AM
He's terrible. Very funny clips of him from this past year on you tube doing all kinds of dumb stuff. He should just stop now. There's nothing left to prove.

junion
06-26-2010, 05:01 AM
wow don't compare Stockton and Horry ever again and don't say he's the greatest role player either and compare his ******** legacy to one of the greatest PG the world has ever seen. That's like comparing John Salley having more rings then Tim Duncan and saying the dude is a better winner.

Getting back to the subject I don't think moving from team to team hurts much but I do feel like him going to the Cav's did. He should have did his homework and see that, that team was not going to win a ring. Mike Brown ain't a Pill Jackson or a Pat Riley and should have kept that in mind because he experienced first hand what great coaching can do for you. He saw what it was like to be coached by Van Gundy then switching to an elite coach like Riley. Shaq has nothing to worry about and I think he should go to the Spurs or Miami but I say Spurs because of the coaching and the more mature players that are all about bringing you the business.
haha.. he was making the point that since john stockton stayed with the team, he has the greater legacy than horry even though stockton didn't get a championship.

you took it the wrong way. and for that :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Mochalman
06-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Shaq = the new Robert Hory.

The Raven
06-26-2010, 06:20 AM
It won't tarnish his legacy but people generally respect players who stick with one team through thick and thin.

Id agree. He'll still be known as one of the best ever but, he'd have much more cred if he'd stop switching teams

JayW_1023
06-26-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm not bothered by it at all...if he stays in relative shape he can help a team off the bench. He is no longer a prime time player though.

rufo4100
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
He is unique in that he has changed teams so many times. I dont think it will impact his legacy too much other than getting his number retired.