PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo reports : Nuggets offer Carmelo Anthony $65 mil extension

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Carmelo Anthony(notes) has received a three-year contract extension offer worth about $65 million from the Denver Nuggets.

Anthony told Yahoo! Sports he is reviewing the Nuggets’ proposal with his advisors, and wants to make sure the franchise is committed to improving before agreeing to sign the deal.

“I feel good about it,” Anthony said. “I appreciate them putting it on the table and wanting me to extend my career there. At the end of the day it’s about winning. If I feel I can win there, I will stay.

“I’ve been there five years. I’m comfortable there. Family is there. If I’m able to compete for a championship, I’m there.”

Anthony could wait to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, but the NBA is facing a possible lockout when the collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of the season. Commissioner David Stern and team owners are pushing to lower maximum salaries and the maximum length of contracts in a new CBA.

“That’s taking a risk, a chance,” Anthony said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsYxu7VK_8PmLurjz1tF0G85nYcB?slug=ys-anthonynuggets062310

abe_froman
06-23-2010, 07:39 PM
good deal :clap:

tangent12
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Nuggets fans should be really happy about his commitment to the team. It's great to know your favorite players are committed to the organization you follow with loyalty. With that said, good move by Melo. It's a good offer and like he said, it'd be a risk waiting till next season. Specially when it'll be losing teams with the CAP space to sign him.

Chicagofaithful
06-23-2010, 07:44 PM
wow... didnt think he'd sign an extension... but it make sense

gbpackers12
06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I always liked Melo. :clap: He deserves his money.
... ****ing Darko.

PhillyForLife90
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Solid deal.

Giantwarrior
06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
too bad for the knicks and celtics next season!

shep33
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I like it. I hope he retires as a Nugget, and this is coming from a Laker fan. I don't like how all these superstars are planning to jump boat this offseason, he just gained my respect for not waiting to opt out next year.

Good job Melo.

SA5195
06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
:clap:

Swashcuff
06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm liking this..... really hope they can put together a real nice run next season.

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Now all they need to do is make that trade for CP3.

IAmKira
06-23-2010, 08:04 PM
If they do have a lock out, do players still get paid? O.o

shep33
06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Now all they need to do is make that trade for CP3.

Could you imagine? That would be sick, but the problem is they'd likely have to give up Billups and Nene, and they'd be worse without Nene.

arkanian215
06-23-2010, 08:11 PM
:clap:

Lakersho
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I like it. I hope he retires as a Nugget, and this is coming from a Laker fan. I don't like how all these superstars are planning to jump boat this offseason, he just gained my respect for not waiting to opt out next year.

Good job Melo.

,,,x2 everything you said, and i gotta say outta all the stars on all the teams we play melo is hands down the" most complete " player in the league behind kobe. ya i know what all the haters are gonna say , i dont care... lebron, he's great at power or speed, fastbreak b.ball ,but if you watch melo and pay attn. to all the diff. ways he scores and its effortless. you'd have to agree he's pretty great,glad to hear he's appreciated and gonna stay home...

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
,,,x2 everything you said, and i gotta say outta all the stars on all the teams we play melo is hands down the" most complete " player in the league behind kobe. ya i know what all the haters are gonna say , i dont care... lebron, he's great at power or speed, fastbreak b.ball ,but if you watch melo and pay attn. to all the diff. ways he scores and its effortless. you'd have to agree he's pretty great,glad to hear he's appreciated and gonna stay home...

stop makin it a comparison thread....i posted the news for people to read and discuss, not compare his skill to other players.....

boriquaabe
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
wow... didnt think he'd sign an extension... but it make sense

It didn't say he signed the extension. It says he is reviewing the offer and wants to see what the team will do to improve.

tredigs
06-23-2010, 08:27 PM
This deal is NOT signed, fellas.

They offered it to 'Melo, and he said his decision is dependent on "if I think I can win there, I will sign".

I could just as easily see a player not sign after reading those words as I could otherwise.

dre1990
06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
21.66 mill a year for 3 years isnt to shaby

X12Celtics3
06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
This would be good, its always nice to see players spend the majority of their careers with one team, and its becoming more and more rare as the years go by. Loyalty to a franchise is a very good thing.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 08:29 PM

They offered it to 'Melo, and he said his decision is dependent on "if I think I can win there, I will sign".

I could just as easily see a player not sign after reading those words as I could otherwise.

thats why i bolded the "agreeing to sign the deal part"

boriquaabe
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM

This forum is on speed right now. Everyone chiming in like "great deal","good for Melo"???? read the snippet. I read the piece before a thread was even created and I didn't feel the need for anyone to know about it via a thread. They made an offer. That's it. Start a thread when he inks he deal.

ldc62
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
what now Knicks and Nets fans?

boriquaabe
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Does it make you feel like a man when you take shots at Knicks and Nets fans? worry about your own team. I know one thing regardless who the Knicks sign we will still be a better team than any team we have trotted out there in the last 10 years. and that alone is enough for me.

DMasta718
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Well I don't see Melo leaving the Nuggets so I expect him to sign an extension.

tredigs
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM
thats why i bolded the "agreeing to sign the deal part"

I wasn't taking a shot at you, although your title is damn misleading; it should read, "Carmelo Anthony OFFERED $65 mil extension", and at first you only bolded "agreeing to sign the deal", which I see you extended to "and wants to make sure the franchise is committed to improving before...".

Clearer now... hopefully 90% of the respondents won't think it's a done deal now and start making off-shoot threads about its implications.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I wasn't taking a shot at you, although your title is damn misleading; it should read, "Carmelo Anthony OFFERED $65 mil extension", and at first you only bolded "agreeing to sign the deal", which I see you extended to "and wants to make sure the franchise is committed to improving before...".

Clearer now... hopefully 90% of the respondents won't think it's a done deal now and start making off-shoot threads about its implications.

my bad.....

i wish if a mod can change the title.....

Wisdom Listens
06-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I think it's hilarious when the article clearly states Anthony has not signed, yet people act as if he already has. Read the article people.

DenButsu
06-23-2010, 08:48 PM

They offered it to 'Melo

This is true, and I've changed the thread title from "gets" to "offered" to make it more accurate.

fadedmario
06-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I like Carmelo. he's worth the money.

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I like Carmelo. he's worth the money.

He is. I mean, I think he is individually, but if you look at it from a Nuggets franchise perspective, then he is even moreso. Who would the Nuggets be without him? Who would be their franchise player, the face of the team? Who would draw people into the arena, who would get them into the postseason season after season?

If Bosh leaves Toronto, if LBJ leaves Cleveland, we'll probably see in those cases clear prototypes for what would most likely happen to the Nuggets if they let Melo go. They would be a shell of a team.

Mudvayne91
06-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Melo is worth the money. I couldn't imagine the team without Melo. He seriously has transformed our image from a joke franchise to a respectable one. He needs to resign before free agency starts. A free agent is more likely to sign if he knows Melo is going to be here for at least 3 years.

Kakaroach
06-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Thats a max extension right? Good move by the Nuggets to lock him up for a few more years.

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Thats a max extension right?

Correctomundo.

abe_froman
06-24-2010, 01:56 AM
He is. I mean, I think he is individually, but if you look at it from a Nuggets franchise perspective, then he is even moreso. Who would the Nuggets be without him? Who would be their franchise player, the face of the team? Who would draw people into the arena, who would get them into the postseason season after season?

If Bosh leaves Toronto, if LBJ leaves Cleveland, we'll probably see in those cases clear prototypes for what would most likely happen to the Nuggets if they let Melo go. They would be a shell of a team.

billups,i agree it would be a devastating loss but not as severe as what those 2 would go through

imagesrdecievin
06-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Let's not paint 'melo as a good guy for agreeing to stay with the team(if he does). This is moreso about getting paid under the current CBA than it is about loyalty imo.

cmellofan15
06-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Let's not paint 'melo as a good guy for agreeing to stay with the team(if he does). This is moreso about getting paid under the current CBA than it is about loyalty imo.

did you not see the quote about seeing if he can win or do you just wanna stereotype athletes?

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 02:08 AM
billups,i agree it would be a devastating loss but not as severe as what those 2 would go through

But as much as I love Chauncey, he's really not a "franchise player" at this point. Which is not to downplay his importance on the basketball court, or what he does for the team in terms of leadership, running the offense, being the coach on the floor, etc. All of that is invaluable. But you have to take his age into consideration, for one thing. And although it might be unfortunate that good, fundamental basketball doesn't get the same recognition as pure high scoring and flashy dunking (etc.), it really doesn't, and in that sense I don't think Billups packs nearly as much marketing cachet as Melo does.

More simply put, though, both players are crucial for the team's present, but between the two of them, only Melo is the future.

imagesrdecievin
06-24-2010, 02:08 AM
did you not see the quote about seeing if he can win or do you just wanna stereotype athletes?

I saw the quote. It isn't really a negative - it's business. Most smart businessmen would sign the deal under the old CBA and then if the Nuggets can't put together a winner - then just force your way out via trade.

I'm not hating him for it - I'm just not going to praise him as a loyal guy when it looks like an obvious move to maximize his earnings.

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 02:12 AM
I saw the quote. It isn't really a negative - it's business. Most smart businessmen would sign the deal under the old CBA and then if the Nuggets can't put together a winner - then just force your way out via trade.

I'm not hating him for it - I'm just not going to praise him as a loyal guy when it looks like an obvious move to maximize his earnings.

Why assume the two are mutually exclusive?

It's entirely possible, and I do think this is the case, that extending is not only in Melo's financial best interest, but also in his best interest in terms of what he really wants to do, which is to remain on the Nuggets, reciprocate the loyalty the organization and the fan base have shown him, and work with the organization where he's been his entire career to bring the championship home for everybody involved.

He can be loyal and want to get paid, and he can want max money while also being loyal, the two don't cancel each other out. It just means he's in the fortunate position of getting the best of both worlds.
Everything is coming up Milhouse for him. :cool:

mikantsass
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
While the stars of the 2010 NBA free-agent class have a lot to ponder, so does the potential star of the 2011 class the Nuggets have offered Carmelo Anthony a three-year, $65 million contract extension, an NBA source said.

Source: Denver Post

This is big, an average of $21.6 mil per year.

This does 2 things if an agreement is reached:
1. Takes the marquee 2011 free agent off the market (making 2010 more important)
2. Sets the bar for deals including Wade, Bron, Bosh etc...

This could have a big impact on this offseason and noone is talking about this.

Chronz
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Nuggets fans should be really happy about his commitment to the team. It's great to know your favorite players are committed to the organization you follow with loyalty. With that said, good move by Melo. It's a good offer and like he said, it'd be a risk waiting till next season. Specially when it'll be losing teams with the CAP space to sign him.

What commitment?

tp13baby
06-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Could you imagine? That would be sick, but the problem is they'd likely have to give up Billups and Nene, and they'd be worse without Nene.

umm do you watch Nene? he is an overrated big man that is softer than a blanket. i would do this.

KB24PG16
06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
i thought melo would look for extension like kobes 3yrs 90 mil makes look like the lakers overpaid bryant

C-Dub
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
melos stayin in powder blue, maybe he can talk the FO into getting bosh in a s&t for kmart and smith or something. Melo is well worth the money tho!

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
i thought melo would look for extension like kobes 3yrs 90 mil makes look like the lakers overpaid bryant

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

Players' maximum salaries increase the more years they spend in the league. That probably explains the discrepancy between Kobe's deal and Melo's offer.

boolish
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
do you guys actually read the articles or just project your own idea onto them? He has not signed this deal. In fact it sounds like he is leaving himself an out by saying he needs a winning organization.

DenButsu
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
do you guys actually read the articles or just project your own idea onto them? He has not signed this deal. In fact it sounds like he is leaving himself an out by saying he needs a winning organization.

I actually read the articles.