PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson leaning to retiring

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 04:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083

"I'm leaning towards retiring but I have not made up my mind," Jackson said.

The 64 year old coach told Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss that he planned on completing the medical tests and evaluations that will completed by Thursday. He will then drive out to his Lake House in Montana on Friday, spend a week checking in on the results of those tests and make his final decision a week from Friday.

"I'll take a week after the medical tests are done," Jackson said. "Some of it's about health, some of it's about that's the way I feel right now. I've had vacillating feelings about it. It's hard not to feel like coming back when you're speaking to these players and have an opportunity to coach a team that's this good. But, it's what I feel like right now and what I feel like in the process that's gone through. It's just something I'm going to sit with and feel out and after I'm through talking about all the rest of it with the doctors, then I'll make the final decision."

Jackson, who has won five titles with the Lakers and six titles with the Chicago Bulls, has flirted with retirement in recent years. He has been open throughout the season about the toll the NBA schedule takes on him physically.

Jackson was a no-show at the parade on Monday celebrating the Lakers win over the Boston Celtics in seven games. A Lakers spokesperson said Jackson was undergoing medical tests.

Mplsman
06-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Had enough jack? I don't blame ya.

boolish
06-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Phil is negotiating plain and simple. he will reup for one more year....

Hellcrooner
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
true men dont skip making a last rhtrepeat man , get back you damm hippy!!!

cj allen
06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
He will stay !!!

Kakaroach
06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Phil is negotiating plain and simple. he will reup for one more year.... Yeah I think so as well, he's just using this as leverage right now.

_KB24_
06-23-2010, 05:06 PM
How can you walk away from a 3-peat? :eyebrow:

Please, stay Phil!

KB24PG16
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
i think he might just walk away but i could be wrong after all he is the zen master

Jays Claw
06-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Phil Jackson should stay for one more year.

Hellcrooner
06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah I think so as well, he's just using this as leverage right now.

The last guy that tried to use leverage with Mr buss got his fat *** traded to miami

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
How can you walk away from a 3-peat? :eyebrow:

Please, stay Phil!

And if he doesn't win it could be similar to Pat Riley after winning in 2006 knowing he should have retired instead of staying another year.

I mean, you can't get more dramatic than winning a Game 7 in the Finals.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
He's gonna come back.

But if he doesn't, it's going to be a sad day in the NBA world.

But I wonder who the Lakers are going to get as a replacement.

Tony_Starks
06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I think Phil should go out on top. He's never had a game 7 finals experience and probably won't again. There's nothing left to prove. Go home to the fam and turn the next dynasty over to B-Scott!

FOBolous
06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
good for him.

SA5195
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I think he'll stay. Can't walk away from a 3 peat, and if he doesn't get a 3 peat, atleast he has 11 rings lol.

magichatnumber9
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
He has def cemented his legacy as one of the greatest coaches of all time. I wish him good health

fresh prince
06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I think Phil should go out on top. He's never had a game 7 finals experience and probably won't again. There's nothing left to prove. Go home to the fam and turn the next dynasty over to B-Scott!

Thats the thing Ive been wantinG for a while now.. Byron is destined to coach the Lakers and since he is currently with out a job now would be ideal for Phil to step away and Byron to take over..

But at the end of the day if Phil is back we have to live with it.. He's still a great coach.

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Why is Brian Shaw going to be given a chance over Bryon Scott if Phil does hang it up?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Why is Brian Shaw going to be given a chance over Bryon Scott if Phil does hang it up?

WHAAAAAAAAT JB????:speechless::speechless:

Scott doesn't know jack about triangle offense!

Shaw has played a lot in triangle offense and has spent years of learning it in lakers coaching staff!

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 06:28 PM
he will comeback.....

GSW Hoops
06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Ridiculous to ask an 11-time NBA champion coach to take a pay cut, especially after back-to-back titles.

Tony_Starks
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
WHAAAAAAAAT JB????:speechless::speechless:

Scott doesn't know jack about triangle offense!

Shaw has played a lot in triangle offense and has spent years of learning it in lakers coaching staff!

Scott is next in line if Phil leaves by all accounts. At this point the core players are well versed in the triangle and you still have the assistants so Scott doesn't have to be an expert in it. Plus he's an uptempo coach so he can add that to the offense and really turn it up a notch.

Hellcrooner
06-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Why should phil tk a paycutt when neithr Kobe nor Gasol did accept one when resigning the ir new contract=?

btw he needs to return he needs to top Russell for human being with most rings they are tied with 13

tangent12
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I hope Phil doesn't become the attention seeking Brett Favre of the NBA this off season by playing with fans emotions saying he might come back but then again he's leaning towards retiring. Hopefully, this will be the last update until a conclusive decision report.

nickdymez
06-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I hope Phil doesn't become the attention seeking Brett Favre of the NBA this off season by playing with fans emotions saying he might come back but then again he's leaning towards retiring. Hopefully, this will be the last update until a conclusive decision report.

He said he's gonna give an answer by sunday..

And whats with all this triangle stuff?? The next coach doesn't have to run the triangle....

Giantwarrior
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
he's just playing hardball.

td0tsfinest
06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Walk away while your still on top.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
He said he's gonna give an answer by sunday..

And whats with all this triangle stuff?? The next coach doesn't have to run the triangle....

Oh boy...:facepalm:

dnewguy
06-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm leaning towards retiring but I have not made up my mind said Phil Jackson in a recent interview.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083

showtym24
06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
And if he doesn't win it could be similar to Pat Riley after winning in 2006 knowing he should have retired instead of staying another year.

I mean, you can't get more dramatic than winning a Game 7 in the Finals.

Except the 07 heat arnt half as good as the 10-11 lakers are gonna be.

Jenceman
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Because Byron has never been in the triangle or worked with the triangle.

Hotone1401
06-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Scott is next in line if Phil leaves by all accounts. At this point the core players are well versed in the triangle and you still have the assistants so Scott doesn't have to be an expert in it. Plus he's an uptempo coach so he can add that to the offense and really turn it up a notch.

By whose account?? Mitch Kupchak has gone on record to say that B Shaw is the most ready to coach this team and Shaw is very respected amongst players and other assistant coaches there. Shaw has his finger on the pulse of this team. He himself won 3 titles playing under PJ in the triangle with LA and he's already familiar with all the players on the team. Promoting from within will be a big key to LA continuing their success.

I don't want Byron Scott as a coach. There is a reason he isn't coaching now and I haven't seen any reason for him to just be handed the coaching job with LA because of history as a player with the team. I hope it won't happen and I'm pretty sure Brian Shaw will be the next head coach when Phil leaves.

JordansBulls
06-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Because Byron has never been in the triangle or worked with the triangle.

ok thanks.

nickdymez
06-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Oh boy...:facepalm:

elaborate please