PDA

View Full Version : Paul open to trade from Hornets...Wants to win rings...

banglawiz
06-23-2010, 08:25 AM
With trade speculation swirling around him, Chris Paul said Wednesday that he's open to a trade if the New Orleans Hornets aren't committed to winning championships.

"My first choice is to be in New Orleans,'' Paul said in a telephone interview from London. "I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded.''

Reports that clubs have been making offers for Paul surfaced earlier this week. Hornets general manager Jeff Bower denied that the club was shopping its three-time all-star point guard, but admitted to having dialogue with other teams concerning "all of our players.'' New Hornets coach Monty Williams said he expects Paul to remain in New Orleans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5317801

discuss....

banglawiz
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
With trade speculation swirling around him, Chris Paul said Wednesday that he's open to a trade if the New Orleans Hornets aren't committed to winning championships.

"My first choice is to be in New Orleans,'' Paul said in a telephone interview from London. "I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded.''

My first choice is to be in New Orleans. I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded.

-- Chris Paul
Reports that clubs have been making offers for Paul surfaced earlier this week. Hornets general manager Jeff Bower denied that the club was shopping its three-time All-Star point guard, but admitted to having dialogue with other teams concerning "all of our players.'' New Hornets coach Monty Williams said he expects Paul to remain in New Orleans.

But around the league, speculation remains that the Hornets may move Paul. With owner George Shinn's proposed sale to Gary Chouest being delayed for financial reasons, opposing executives believe New Orleans may have to trade Paul and the $50 million owed to him over the next three seasons.

"If George Shinn can't sell the team, I think Chris Paul will be traded," an executive from an Eastern Conference team said. "Shinn's strapped for money. He's going to have to move him."

Paul said he does not have a wish list of teams he'd like to play for and emphasized that his desire is to remain in New Orleans -- as long as the Hornets are doing all they can to compete for a title.

After reaching the second round of the playoffs two years ago, the Hornets have been on the decline and failed to make the postseason last year. Opposing executives aren't convinced the club has the financial resources to build the team into a consistent contender.

"I'm fine with staying in New Orleans, but I want to make sure we're committed to winning," said Paul, whose been lauded for the community work he's done in New Orleans. "I don't want to rebuild. I want to win now. It's nothing personal against the city. I love that city. But my biggest thing is winning."

Paul admitted that the free-agent frenzy surrounding LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and others is making him long to be in the best possible situation in terms of winning.

"I'm friends with D-Wade, LeBron, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and all these other free agents," said Paul, who's in London promoting his Brand Jordan sneakers. "I'm watching them try to figure out what they're going to do to put themselves in a position to win championships. I'd love to be a part of that stuff."

The reported offers for Paul have been rich in talent. Orlando has reportedly offered Jameer Nelson and Vince Carter, though Magic GM Otis Smith denied it. And New Jersey, which has had several discussions with the Hornets, has reportedly offered Devin Harris and the No. 3 pick in Thursday's draft. Both trades would give the Hornets good talent and save them money long-term.

While Paul did not say anything about playing with James, it's well-known that the two are close friends who would love to be on the same team. If a club with significant cap room, such as New Jersey, landed Paul, its chances of getting James would certainly increase.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

updated article talks more in depth

Badluck33
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I think if the price is right....he GONE!

jimbobjarree
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
he should stay

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2010, 08:46 AM
he should stay

lol for what? they have nothing

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM

discuss....

Spurs should trade Tony Parker and RJ for CP3.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Spurs should trade Tony Parker and RJ for CP3.

yeah....

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
dude he WANTS TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! the spurs' window is over.

effen5
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Only way the Hornets trade him is if the other team takes on Okafor's contract, for a young all star, solid role players, + picks and to be honest, not many teams has that.

Would you guys trade the #1 pick for CP3 if you were the Wizards?

defender4m
06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Nets better keep going after him

saintdrew
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
hahaha.....

he's staying people. don't worry and you can shut down this thread if you'd like.

J4KOP99
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
What if the Bulls traded Rose and somebody else for Paul and then signed LeBron...? I could actually see that happening.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

thats BS....been there done that.....everyone said the same thing about celtics, but they kicked my cavs and magics butt.....people like u crack me up.....

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
ok and what have the spurs done in the last 3yrs?

prodigy
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Lebron will NOT follow a superstar. Superstars follow him.

Did you guys just meet Lebron for real???

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
hahaha.....

he's staying people. don't worry and you can shut down this thread if you'd like.

dude your in denial

thekmp211
06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
hahaha.....

sorry i forgot you posted on here, Hornets' GM.

i think hes being nice. hornets should get a big man and a young swing guy and start over with collison, thornton

Double_R
06-23-2010, 09:29 AM
The Magic are gonna use Jameer, Gortat, Vince's Expiring Contract, their 8 mil trade exception, Brandon Bass, and any other team they need to get involved to make this happen. book it

king4day
06-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Only way the Hornets trade him is if the other team takes on Okafor's contract, for a young all star, solid role players, + picks and to be honest, not many teams has that.

I'd only consider it if he was winning to sign an extension. But in the end, I think you need to give John Wall a shot with that team and Paul needs to go elsewhere.

king4day
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
The Magic are gonna use Jameer, Gortat, Vince's Expiring Contract, their 8 mil trade exception, Brandon Bass, and any other team they need to get involved to make this happen. book it

So will the suns...and lakers....and spurs...and silly nannies...etc...book it

RelaxedFan
06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Houston has the pieces to make it work...
Aaron Brooks, Trevor Ariza (SF at the MLE for the next 4 years) and the 2012 Top 5 Protected New York Knick Pick.

Double_R
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
So will the suns...and lakers....and spurs...and silly nannies...etc...book it

What are the Suns gonna give them...they don't need Dragic
What are the Spurs gonna give them? They need a big with ACLs
What do the Lakers have that they would want? WHy would the Lakers get rid of any important players to make it work?

marlinsfan24
06-23-2010, 09:41 AM
That's BS. Tim Duncan can still be dominant down low and Manu when healthy is still a great player.

ok and what have the spurs done in the last 3yrs?
When healthy, competing with the top tier teams.

marlinsfan24
06-23-2010, 09:43 AM
What are the Suns gonna give them...they don't need Dragic
What are the Spurs gonna give them? They need a big with ACLs
What do the Lakers have that they would want? WHy would the Lakers get rid of any important players to make it work?

The Spurs have Parker, Hill, and Jefferson as assets.

The Lakers would probably be very willing to deal Bynum in such a deal.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
That's BS. Tim Duncan can still be dominant down low and Manu when healthy is still a great player.

When healthy, competing with the top tier teams.

dude its not competing if your not in the WCF even

xbrackattackx
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Of course Paul would be open, He's got no talent around him the Office better trade Collison and West and get Paul a valid star with him. They have the Role Players they just need another Star.

FOBolous
06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
aaron brooks + fillers for chris paul

:)

Double_R
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM

If the Lakers would throw Bynum in a deal with another solid player, maybe but I don't see them getting rid of Bynum, not to mention that he has been hurt pretty much every season. Plus the Lakers know that Bigs are a lot harder to win without than an all star pg, but yea I would buy that if LA would do that, but I doubt it.

But Parker, they already have in Collison, Jefferson is a nobody that they don't want, and Hill is a decent piece

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2010, 10:11 AM

I think they have the best shot at it

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2010, 10:13 AM

the hornets will wanna trade paul out of the west and besides orlando has more attractive assets to give up then those teams.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
either way, wherever he goes, that team will get raped on the trade. Hornets will deal him to whoever gives the best offer, not where CP3 has the best chance of winning.

xbrackattackx
06-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Houston has the pieces to make it work...
Aaron Brooks, Trevor Ariza (SF at the MLE for the next 4 years) and the 2012 Top 5 Protected New York Knick Pick.

Yea houston would also have to say Hello to Posey and Okafor with Paul.

And ship out Kmart,Brooks,Scola,Hill and the pick.

nolafan33
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
In the end, I personally believe he'll stay a Hornet. Face it, the Nets offered Devin Harris and the 3rd pick, you won't get much better than that, and the Hornets basically hung the phone up on them. Unless some GM goes out on the town for a night and makes an unbelievable offer for CP, he's staying in New Orleans.

Basically, the only way he's getting traded is if the Hornets get to rape another team in a trade, and I doubt that will happen unless some team gets anxious.

Sadds The Gr8
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
He's not going to Orlando...they're gonna afford Paul, D12, and Lewis' max? pffffftttt.....

S-Dot
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Cleveland should offer everything they can to get him. Take Peja's contract and all. Do whatever you need to get him; I think he will make the team more appealing for LBJ.

blah-blah
06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
T.o.! T.o.!

xbrackattackx
06-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Cleveland should offer everything they can to get him. Take Peja's contract and all. Do whatever you need to get him; I think he will make the team more appealing for LBJ.

Cleveland would have to take Okafor,Posey and Peja contracts. That's a lot of money bro. But if Cleveland gets CP3, Bron will stay. Or cp3 will take over that Franchise so you win either way.

S-Dot
06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Cleveland would have to take Okafor,Posey and Peja contracts. That's a lot of money bro. But if Cleveland gets CP3, Bron will stay. Or cp3 will take over that Franchise so you win either way.

I agree. LeBron would be more tempted to stay, and they will attract more players if he does stays and they have CP3. Cleveland has to do something edgy like this to keep him. There's no doubt he loves the city and fans, but that may not be enough to keep him.

Klivlend
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree. LeBron would be more tempted to stay, and they will attract more players if he does stays and they have CP3. Cleveland has to do something edgy like this to keep him. There's no doubt he loves the city and fans, but that may not be enough to keep him.

Make it happen CAVS!

Kashmir13579
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
hahaha.....

you better pray he doesnt leave.... i dont see why he wouldnt

xbrackattackx
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm quoting all these N.O. fans saying there's NO chance he leaves. Just in case he does I will have a great Sig of Quotes ;)

R_O_W_E
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Now this kinda throws a wrench into everything. The last thing you want your Franchise player to say is that he's open to a trade.

Saw this on another site:

Boston:Chris Paul
New Orleans:Rajon Rondo, Rasheed Wallace

:speechless:

I'd laugh my *** off if that happened.

Double_R
06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
He's not going to Orlando...they're gonna afford Paul, D12, and Lewis' max? pffffftttt.....

Saddler,

Dwight Howard actually makes less than Vince Carter's expiring contract that will be off the books... We know the Magic aren't afraid to pay the luxury tax and they also have an 8 mil trade exception... They aren't worried about the dinero... and to all these people talking about Paul is gonna go to the West, I doubt it... Also, he is coming off injury and a team never gets full value when they trade a superstar.... That's just the way it is.

JordansBulls
06-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Alread a thread on it.

Raoul Duke
06-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Paul+Howard would be one of the greatest pairs ever to play in any era. They would be borderline unstoppable. But he isn't being traded until he either burns his bridges or is in the last year of his contract.

A Lebron/Paul pairing would be less than optimum. They're basically both PGs.

shep33
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
This is a scenario where I don't blame the player. Unless they sell the Hornets to that billionaire of an owner, then I believe he should get moved. It isn't fair for him personally if they take all the talent around him away, and the team gets worse.

I'd love to see him stay in NO but I really think its unfair to CP3 if their organization is more biased towards saving money then winning. Sad for the fans too, tough situation all around.

ldc62
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM

No way... Wall is too good with too much potential. I could see Wall becoming the best in 2-3 years, and then have people calling him a HOF in 4. People have no idea how great Wall is.

Shammyguy3
06-23-2010, 12:23 PM
No way... Wall is too good with too much potential. I could see Wall becoming the best in 2-3 years, and then have people calling him a HOF in 4. People have no idea how great Wall is.

:laugh: wow, let's not jump the gun here. The kid hasn't even played in summer league yet. And now you're putting him as the best PG in the league when there's Paul, Williams, Rondo, Rose, Curry, Westbrook. C'mon. :eyebrow:

xabial
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
GJ Paul, Never knew you had it in you.

Kakaroach
06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, thats a little surprising in all honesty. Still, I don't think the Hornets would do a Devin Harris+3 overall or something for CP3, it would take even more than that.

Chacarron
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM

I keep hearing this a lot and it juts makes me think that a lot of people will be disappointed. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't see Wall being as great as many of you praise he will be.

blake20696
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
The nets havent made a formal offer yet to the hornets so if the nets offer Harris + 3rd pick and a future 1st for Paul then they may talk

gwrighter
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
In the end, I personally believe he'll stay a Hornet. Face it, the Nets offered Devin Harris and the 3rd pick, you won't get much better than that, and the Hornets basically hung the phone up on them. Unless some GM goes out on the town for a night and makes an unbelievable offer for CP, he's staying in New Orleans.

Basically, the only way he's getting traded is if the Hornets get to rape another team in a trade, and I doubt that will happen unless some team gets anxious.

TORONTO RAPTORS! CP3 get's a chance to play with Bosh!? Bryan Colangelo will give pretty much anything for Bosh to Stay. (Hint,Hint) The addition of Paul would definitely keep Bosh in T.O. Get it Done BC!

wolf3742
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
IF Paul is traded, I see two teams that have a decent to offer.
Nets give them Harris and the 3rd pick where they can get a center
Magic can have a package of JAmeer/VC/Gortat. by 2011, Hornets have 3 expirings

Nets Scenario
Harris/DC
Thornton/Mo Pete
Posey/Peja
West/Okafor
Cousins/Okafor

Magic
Jameer/DC
VC/Thornton
Posey/Peja
West/Okafor
Gortat/Okafor
And they got expirings from VC, Peja and Mo PEte (more than 20mil if I am not mistaken)

netsgiantsyanks
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
hahaha.....

how do you know? are you friends with the gm?? you never know he might find the right price and bite on it

gwrighter
06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
my bad, double post.

fresh3def
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
i think he should go toooooooo the magics lol sike naw that'll be killer though alleyooops all day but naw i think he should get outtttaa new orleans tho and get onto a title contender team. hornets isnt doing him no good but getting highlights for himselfs. he needs to move!

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
hopefully he stays in N.O. he had that franchise going in the right direction just a few years ago, they need to get another big player down there to go alongside him

MagicHero3
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
If The Hornets dont do something quick, they will lose Paul. The way Paul see's it, if they dont "want to be a championship team", then they wont make any major off-season moves.

if they do "want to be a championship team", They will try to acquire a star big man to accompany Paul.

Otherwise, Paul might be wearing a Magic Jersey soon.
Which I would be Extremely excited to see.

thenetslegend
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
nets need to make a serious offer =)

Justice 84
06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
CP3 wants rings...the Lakers want a PG. Perfect match.

numba1CHANGsta
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
if CP3 wants rings, then go to L.A. :D

*Silver&Black*
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Any team can give picks. Why does the Hornets need Harris or Jameer if there moving CP3 for Collison?

Can any rumored team offer a young All-Star PF on his rookie contract like Atlanta can (Al Horford)?

CP3 wanted Atlanta to draft him.

If Hornets wanted CP3 traded, they would want to dump salary too.

Al Horford, Bibby, 1st round pick, fillers for CP3 and Okafor(salary)

Can another team offer something better that doesn't kill your team and doesn't involve a PG (which the Hornets don't need, how stupid)?

CP3
Joe Johnson
Marvin
Josh Smith
Okafor

0nekhmer
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
unless they pull a boston type of trade to aquire all stars, i dont see him staying after next season

TehSamurai
06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
You people are hilarious!

Why would the Hornets basically give away their franchise player for some cap relief? Why would they trade him for another point guard--like many of these half-baked trade scenarios on this board propose--when they have Collison?

sNaKeS
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Any team can give picks. Why does the Hornets need Harris or Jameer if there moving CP3 for Collison?

Can any rumored team offer a young All-Star PF on his rookie contract like Atlanta can (Al Horford)?

CP3 wanted Atlanta to draft him.

If Hornets wanted CP3 traded, they would want to dump salary too.

Al Horford, Bibby, 1st round pick, fillers for CP3 and Okafor(salary)

Can another team offer something better that doesn't kill your team and doesn't involve a PG (which the Hornets don't need, how stupid)?

CP3
Joe Johnson
Marvin
Josh Smith
Okafor

What the hell does that make bibby? Last I checked HE'S A DAMN POINT GUARD! Also I see you have Joe Johnson at shooting guard when he probably won't be on your team next year.

Here's a better trade for you, Jameer Nelson, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, and the magic 1st round pick.

Vinny642
06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
People still can't read on this site.... he said if we aren't going to attempt to compete he'd be open.

I dont see how that makes him gone. We already stated we won't trade him -_- So why is joke of a thread still open?

*Silver&Black*
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
What the hell does that make bibby? Last I checked HE'S A DAMN POINT GUARD! Also I see you have Joe Johnson at shooting guard when he probably won't be on your team next year.

Here's a better trade for you, Jameer Nelson, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, and the magic 1st round pick.

1st, Mike Bibby is a filler (expiring contract to take on the Hornets bad contracts), prob won't even play him at all. Al Horford is the main piece. I guess you don't know fair trades.

2nd, Al Horford > everybody you just listed. Collison and Jameer can't play together. Collison and Horford combo is better than the scrubs your listing to make the Magic better.

3rd, stop acting hard on the internet big boy. CP3 is 99% going to stay a Hornet anyways.

DCB/LAL
06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Well if its rings he wants then he needs to get to the Lakers.................JK

_KB24_
06-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Not sure if the contracts sum up but I know I'm close:

CP3 + Peja for Jameer, Vince and picks.

_KB24_
06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Well if its rings he wants then he needs to get to the Lakers.................JK

He's said that he hopes one day he'll play for the Lakers sometime last offseason. Amazing if it happened.

*Silver&Black*
06-23-2010, 11:08 PM
He's said that he hopes one day he'll play for the Lakers sometime last offseason. Amazing if it happened.

He also said he wanted the Hawks to draft him, so that doesn't mean nothing. Paul is most likely staying in N.O.

dodie53
06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
i think he is staying

_KB24_
06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
He also said he wanted the Hawks to draft him, so that doesn't mean nothing. Paul is most likely staying in N.O.

How is he most likely to stay in NO? He wants to win and atleast compete, no way the Hornets fit that bill.

*Silver&Black*
06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
How is he most likely to stay in NO? He wants to win and atleast compete, no way the Hornets fit that bill.

Well, then if you don't believe that, I could say he won't go to the Lakers. The Hornets are the ones that have the cards, not Paul. Your not always going to have Gasol type trades to your team.

PHX2daDEATH
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
CP3 in L.A. would never work.. He needs the ball, Kobe needs the ball. Why is everyone giving up on Derek Fisher? Think the guy has a few more years left and he's perfect for that team with his experience and leadership..

Don't see why Houston would do it..they'd have to give up a lot and then Paul's in a similiar situation as he is in NO.

nolafan33
06-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Hornets owner came out today and said Paul won't be traded.

Vinny642
06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

LOL No he didn't, there was an unconfirmed rumor, dont spread lies.

saintdrew
06-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Just because Paul said he was "open to trade" doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be traded...

So someone tell me why we're talking about this?

sNaKeS
06-23-2010, 11:51 PM
1st, Mike Bibby is a filler (expiring contract to take on the Hornets bad contracts), prob won't even play him at all. Al Horford is the main piece. I guess you don't know fair trades.

2nd, Al Horford > everybody you just listed. Collison and Jameer can't play together. Collison and Horford combo is better than the scrubs your listing to make the Magic better.

3rd, stop acting hard on the internet big boy. CP3 is 99% going to stay a Hornet anyways.

If a starting point guard in the NBA is a "filler" then that really says a lot about how bad your team is and if you think CP3 makes your team a legit title contender then your sorely mistaken because even with him your still worse than the magic.

*Silver&Black*
06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
If a starting point guard in the NBA is a "filler" then that really says a lot about how bad your team is and if you think CP3 makes your team a legit title contender then your sorely mistaken because even with him your still worse than the magic.

Bibby being traded has nothing to do with how "bad" my team is (50+ wins and 3rd seed in the East.) It's about salaries and the fact Bibby would be used as an expiring due to the Hornets having Collison.

I'm also not dumb to think Bibby is anywhere on Paul's level. So you trying to start bashing the Hawks because you think the Magic's scrubs will get Paul is not going to work.;)

ragee
06-24-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't get it... Why the F would they want to trade Paul??? He is still young and one of the best PGs in the league... What good can they get out of any deal involving him?

Vinny642
06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't get it... Why the F would they want to trade Paul??? He is still young and one of the best PGs in the league... What good can they get out of any deal involving him?

WE DONT WANT TO TRADE HIM. All of these rumors are other teams want him, but we stated many times, we aren't trading him.

Vinny642
06-24-2010, 12:30 AM
For real, can you guys read?? Im just asking because Chris Paul never said he wanted out. He just wants the Hornets to be contenders. And the Hornets franchise said we are not trading CP3, so close thread!

ragee
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
WE DONT WANT TO TRADE HIM. All of these rumors are other teams want him, but we stated many times, we aren't trading him.

Ok... Too lazy to read the article... LOL... I was about to send you a message to ask you about this... Hahaha... Selling the team will be wiser than trading a superstar like Chirs Paul!

E-Man117
06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Bosh for Paul

shen
06-24-2010, 05:38 AM
They have been saying that the sale of the team might not happen. League "sources" also have said if the sale does not happen that Paul will be traded. I hope for the franchises sake he is not moved but until the sale happens then it is a real probability.