PDA

View Full Version : A's need strong motivation to deal Sheets

YankeeFan28
06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
The As do not plan to trade Ben Sheets unless they receive a compelling offer, according to major-league sources. The team is not under financial pressure to move Sheets $10 million salary, and views the veteran right-hander as a valuable mentor for its younger starters.

Sheets, though, figures to attract significant interest he has worked at least six innings in each of his past nine starts, producing a 3.79 ERA. He will be no more than a Type B free agent, so the most the As could receive would be a compensation pick if he signed with another club.

If the As end up sellers and it certainly appears that they will center fielder Coco Crisp could be another trade possibility. Crisp, who had suffered from a strained right intercostal muscle, returned from his second trip to the disabled list on Tuesday night.

Yet, even with Crisp, the As will need to be motivated to move. They hold a $5.75 million club option on Crisp for next season, and that salary could fit easily into their budget. The team has a mere $39 committed for 2010.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-June-052910

yankswin27
06-23-2010, 12:05 AM
They're still in the race, they absolutely should hold onto Sheets. If the A's are looking to trade anybody, it should be Coco Crisp. That man just cannot stay on the field anymore.

Pinstripe pride
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
lots of teams need pitching. someone will give them an offer they like if the fall out of the race. Sheets will be moving to a contender in late july, my guess would be the mets if they don't add Cliff Lee

DCook8310
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm sure as much as they are planning to keep Sheets, that other teams will give them some tempting offers. With that, I still think he will end up staying with the A's. I've always liked Sheets and think he is a good fit in Oakland.

Gunzito22
06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
The AL West is as open as ANY division in baseball... I cannot see the A's selling yet.

Tragedy
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
A's are probably posturing. Why would they hold onto him? Unless they plan to be buyers in July, I highly doubt they're going to be legitimate contenders against teams like the Rays, Sox, Yans, etc.

DCook8310
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
A's are probably posturing. Why would they hold onto him? Unless they plan to be buyers in July, I highly doubt they're going to be legitimate contenders against teams like the Rays, Sox, Yans, etc.

They may not be able to compete with the Rays, Sox, and Yanks, but tweek their roster a little and they should be able to compete with the Angels and Rangers. If they can somehow get into the playoffs then who knows what can happen, even against the Rays, Sox, and Yanks.

Spades
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Meh... I think they're just hyping him so they can get the best deal for him.