PDA

View Full Version : Kaplan: "Cubs actively trying to unload Fukudome"

croce_99
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Kaplan Blog (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/)

Several baseball sources have confirmed to me that the Chicago Cubs have been extremely active in trying to move Kosuke Fukudome to open up regular playing time for rookie Tyler Colvin. Fukudome is owed approximately 8 million dollars for the remainder of this season and an additional 14 million for 2011.

My sources tell me that Cubs GM Jim Hendry has offered to pick up the bulk of the remaining dollars on the 2010 commitment and half of the money in 2011 but so far has found no takers for the under performing right fielder.

I have also been told that upper management is being extremely patient despite the poor performance of the Cubs so far in 2010. They will wait a few more weeks and evaluate the club's position at that time before they determine a course of action in advance of the July 31 trade deadline.

redwhitenblue
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Great.

We're going to undersell on Fukudome during a cold streak of his.

Jilly Bohnson
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
If we're paying that much money we better get something decent back.

Ron!n
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Boston could use an OF'er.

Casey Kelley for Kosuke Fukudome :D

Captain Obvious
06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Great.

We're going to undersell on Fukudome during a cold streak of his.

If we're paying that much money we better get something decent back.

I don't think that the two of you are having enough faith in Jim Hendry. At least when it comes to trades, I have full confidence in him.

Your Name Here
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think that the two of you are having enough faith in Jim Hendry. At least when it comes to trades, I have full confidence in him.

He's good when other teams are looking to dump salary (Aramis, Lee)....but in other scenarios, there's been too many Pierre and Trachsel type deals for me to put much faith in his ability not to **** himself.

1908_Cubs
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
He's good when other teams are looking to dump salary (Aramis, Lee)....but in other scenarios, there's been too many Pierre and Trachsel type deals for me to put much faith in his ability not to **** himself.

Ugh. That Traschel deal....********. Not that Cherry ever did anything...but still....why? Why why why?

poodski
06-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Whats funny though is that Trachsel was worth more for us in 2007 than Cherry and Moore have been worth combined for their entire careers.

The Pierre trade was bad, but I kinda laugh when people call the Trachsel trade bad. Was it necessary? No. Was it bad? Hell no. It was two pieces of garbage for one piece of garbage.

Your Name Here
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Ugh. That Traschel deal....********. Not that Cherry ever did anything...but still....why? Why why why?

The answer to that is simple.

Because the fans are ****ing ********.

We were maybe a game or two up in the standings, and the fans were demanding that Hendry "do something", not even caring what that something was, because any action is good action.

Instead of telling those fans to sit the **** down and shut their cocksuckers, Hendry obliged them and served up a big steaming pile of Trachshit on our dinner plates, and had the nerve to call it a chocolate souffle.

Long story short (too late).....I ****ing hate approximately 95% of the fans, and I hope next season is even worse than this one. Weed a vast number of those twatnozzles the hell out of my fanbase.

Your Name Here
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Whats funny though is that Trachsel was worth more for us in 2007 than Cherry and Moore have been worth combined for their entire careers.

The Pierre trade was bad, but I kinda laugh when people call the Trachsel trade bad. Was it necessary? No. Was it bad? Hell no. It was two pieces of garbage for one piece of garbage.

I'm ****ing around with my new laptop and don't have all my old bookmarks exported over yet, so maybe I'm not seeing what you are seeing, but I can't fathom a reason for defending that trade.

At the very least, Cherry and/or Moore might have been usable in some other deal, and not necessarily that same year, that could have landed us someone that didn't completely queef his britches when he took the field.

chicagofan71
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
The answer to that is simple.

Because the fans are ****ing ********.

We were maybe a game or two up in the standings, and the fans were demanding that Hendry "do something", not even caring what that something was, because any action is good action.

Instead of telling those fans to sit the **** down and shut their cocksuckers, Hendry obliged them and served up a big steaming pile of Trachshit on our dinner plates, and had the nerve to call it a chocolate souffle.

Long story short (too late).....I ****ing hate approximately 95% of the fans, and I hope next season is even worse than this one. Weed a vast number of those twatnozzles the hell out of my fanbase.

I agree, but those twatnozzles will be back once they start to win again in 2012

poodski
06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm ****ing around with my new laptop and don't have all my old bookmarks exported over yet, so maybe I'm not seeing what you are seeing, but I can't fathom a reason for defending that trade.

At the very least, Cherry and/or Moore might have been usable in some other deal, and not necessarily that same year, that could have landed us someone that didn't completely queef his britches when he took the field.

Cherry was a 27 year old pile of garbage. His numbers look good but my numbers would look good if I went and played little leagues right now too. He was old and completely worthless.

Scott Moore, maybe was worth something, but still not a very good prospect by any means. He wasnt a top ten prospect for us 2006, jumped up to 7th though in 2007, but still to me at least wasnt anything to write home about.

Was it a good trade? No, it wasnt, but it was a nothing trade. There is no reason to defend it or get upset about it. Hendry has made WAY worse trades than for Trachsel. I am not even sure this makes the top 15 or 20 worst trades of Hendry's time here.

I wasnt upset about it then, and still dont see it as a bad trade now.

Tehjosha
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I just don't see us getting much in return, regardless of how much money Hendry decides to include. Dome's value is pretty damn low right now with the amount of cash owed him through 2011.

I'm a bit concerned about how this will turn out.

Your Name Here
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Cherry was a 27 year old pile of garbage. His numbers look good but my numbers would look good if I went and played little leagues right now too. He was old and completely worthless.

Scott Moore, maybe was worth something, but still not a very good prospect by any means. He wasnt a top ten prospect for us 2006, jumped up to 7th though in 2007, but still to me at least wasnt anything to write home about.

Was it a good trade? No, it wasnt, but it was a nothing trade. There is no reason to defend it or get upset about it. Hendry has made WAY worse trades than for Trachsel. I am not even sure this makes the top 15 or 20 worst trades of Hendry's time here.

I wasnt upset about it then, and still dont see it as a bad trade now.

Moore got 5 AB's. He wasn't contributing to the major league roster in any way.

Cherry pitched 15 innings while he was here in 07, and Trachsel racked up 17 in the month he was here. Like I said, I don't have all my stat pages handy right now, but one guy had an ERA+ of 157, and the other had a 57.

Hard to call that a nothing trade, since there's a significant difference there.

Cubs Fan 4Ever
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Why are we trading our player with the second highest OBP and best defensive outfielder. Stupid move by the Cubs

AllStar44
06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Drug Red Sox Gm and trade fuku for pedroia straight up.

chitownwindsof8
06-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Why are we trading our player with the second highest OBP and best defensive outfielder. Stupid move by the Cubs

To dump some of his salary and get something back for him. fuky cant hit. they need to play colvin and play him everyday. He is a young talented player and plays good d himself.

zambo4president
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Fuku's valuable to the team but okay Jimbo:shrug:

toovey107
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
To dump some of his salary and get something back for him. fuky cant hit. they need to play colvin and play him everyday. He is a young talented player and plays good d himself.

Could you be anymore ignorant?

Mell413
06-22-2010, 09:52 PM
We better get something good back if we are paying that much money. I don't get the hatred for the Trachsel deal. It wasn't necessary, but it's nothing to get upset about

Canterbury
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
For whatever Fukudome brings to the club, does it really matter anymore? Even if the Cubs get hot, they have already placed themselves in such an terrible position.

Might as well open a roster spot and also give Colvin some playing time than cling on to a "good" player.

Sasuke11
06-23-2010, 12:20 AM

Because Lou is a moron in the way he managed him as a player and Hendry is a moron for not firing Lou.

dyceman
06-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Going to the game tomorrow and will wear my Fukudome jersey proudly even if he isn't in the lineup...

windycityD
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
The main move Boston should be trying to make is to trade for Fielder, who imo, will be dangled by the Brewers for pitching. Red Beans and Rice is an inevitable DH anyway and he would absolutely murder it in that park.

Jilly Bohnson
06-23-2010, 11:54 AM
The main move Boston should be trying to make is to trade for Fielder, who imo, will be dangled by the Brewers for pitching. Red Beans and Rice is an inevitable DH anyway and he would absolutely murder it in that park.

A left handed pull hitter in Fenway...:confused:

windycityD
06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
A left handed pull hitter in Fenway...:confused:

Who can also take you out to CF.

Seriously, if I'm the Brew Crew's front office, I'm looking at a needed haul via trading Fielder to them. As much as we need bats in the plural sense, they need arms in the same.

Heyyo1900
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM

I thought right handed pull hitters dominated in that ball park? I medium range fly ball is normally a double off the wall.

Jilly Bohnson
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Seriously, if I'm the Brew Crew's front office, I'm looking at a needed haul via trading Fielder to them. As much as we need bats in the plural sense, they need arms in the same.

Oh he's a great hitter, I want him when he hits free agency, I just think Fenway will hurt him more than help him. Outside of Ortiz, lefty pull hitters don't usually flourish at Fenway. And even Ortiz is one of those guys who is an extreme pull hitter on groudn balls and more of a neutral guy on fly balls.

windycityD
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I thought right handed pull hitters dominated in that ball park? I medium range fly ball is normally a double off the wall.

Green Monster, tall. RF "wall," not really a wall. More like a fence to keep out your neighbor's yippy small dog.

Fielder would be a good pick up for Boston. He could still play 1b for a couple of more years and they could move Youkilis back to 3b. And if they so desires, keep Big Papi Roid thr 2011 as their DH (club option). The crux is Beltre, who has a very affordable player option for 2011 (5 mil) w/ some vesting clauses based on PAs.

windycityD
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh he's a great hitter, I want him when he hits free agency, I just think Fenway will hurt him more than help him. Outside of Ortiz, lefty pull hitters don't usually flourish at Fenway. And even Ortiz is one of those guys who is an extreme pull hitter on groudn balls and more of a neutral guy on fly balls.

I would agree with you were it not for the fact that he also has legit power to CF and between CF and RF. How scary would their offense be if you added Fielder for the rest of this season and kept Ortiz through 2011? I'd say a horror show of offense scary. I guess part of me would want to see this to get Red Beans and Rice outta our division. Of course, we'd have to eventually deal with some good young arms as a result of that deal.

rcal10
06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Back on point fo this forum, if the Cubs deal Fukudome and pay a large portion of his salary they should get a solid prospect back. As much as people want to complain about Fukudome, he does play a solid right field and has a very good OBP. He is not someone they should give away and pay his salary. If someone wants him and agrees to pay his salary, then I would not expect much, if anything, of any value back.

Jilly Bohnson
06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I would agree with you were it not for the fact that he also has legit power to CF and between CF and RF. How scary would their offense be if you added Fielder for the rest of this season and kept Ortiz through 2011? I'd say a horror show of offense scary. I guess part of me would want to see this to get Red Beans and Rice outta our division. Of course, we'd have to eventually deal with some good young arms as a result of that deal.

Ummm, CF and Right CF are the two hardest parts to hit it out of Fenway.

http://redsoxnews.com/images/fenway_dimensions.gif

I agree that Fielder would be good there, I'm just saying he'd hit well in spite of Fenway, Fenway wouldn't help him.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM

How do we need arms? We have a ton of pitching depth.

Dfan25
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM

He was talking about the Brewers needing arms not the Cubs.

windycityD
06-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Ummm, CF and Right CF are the two hardest parts to hit it out of Fenway.

http://redsoxnews.com/images/fenway_dimensions.gif

I agree that Fielder would be good there, I'm just saying he'd hit well in spite of Fenway, Fenway wouldn't help him.

I don't believe it would hurt him much. If Mo Vaughn can prosper there, Fielder sure could. And to add, it's not just about Fenway. It's also about NYY, Tampa, Toronto...

windycityD
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM

I'm all for gutting our pitching, haven't you heard?

What I thought the Brewers would have done by now, The nationals are on the doorstep of: combining good young pitching with good young hitting. Thank you fate and The Brewers front office.

windycityD
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Back on point fo this forum, if the Cubs deal Fukudome and pay a large portion of his salary they should get a solid prospect back. As much as people want to complain about Fukudome, he does play a solid right field and has a very good OBP. He is not someone they should give away and pay his salary. If someone wants him and agrees to pay his salary, then I would not expect much, if anything, of any value back.

I digressed this, my bad.

I want to keep Fukudome, then flip him next summer if need be. I look at a roster with absolutely no viable lead off option other than he.

davidfox11
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM

i find it even more funny that u butchered reading this with a name like captain obvious

Pre
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Fukudome is certainly valuable (especially in the outfield), but his contract makes him a burden on the club. It also prevents us from getting anything of valuable in exchange for him.

excillon
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
If it were me, I'd be working with the Orioles on getting Nick Markakis away from them. He'd own in Wrigley. I'd cough up any prospect plus Lee, Fuku, or Soriano for him.

On the otherhand, I think the best way would be a mega-deal of either Lee, Lilly, or A-Ram packaged with Fuku and Theriot. Something like:

Fuku, Theriot, and Lee for Adrian Gonzalez

A-Ram, Fuku, Lilly and Theriot for Kazmir and Riviera.

chicagofan71
06-23-2010, 07:45 PM
If it were me, I'd be working with the Orioles on getting Nick Markakis away from them. He'd own in Wrigley. I'd cough up any prospect plus Lee, Fuku, or Soriano for him.

On the otherhand, I think the best way would be a mega-deal of either Lee, Lilly, or A-Ram packaged with Fuku and Theriot. Something like:

Yeah! Let's create even more of a logjam in the OF! And I'm sure Baltimore totally wants to give up their young RFer for an older suckier version!

Same goes for San Diego. Why would they give away A-Gon for 3 aging veterans, all of which are digressing and 2 of which are expensive.

Stop. Just Stop.

Sasuke11
06-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Wow. That's is about all I can say to that.

Kazmir? ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING?

Randall Simon
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM

there should be an age minimum to post on here. I would hope that no one over the age of 9 would post this.

As for JH and recent trades, the Harden deal looks like a win for him now.