PDA

View Full Version : Magic, Nets, Knicks all after Chris Paul

MagicBucsSox
06-22-2010, 09:16 AM
LeBron who? Suddenly it is Chris Paul mania in the NBA. Everybody wants to trade for him, since reports surfaced that he is available.

As evidenced, there is the report from Sam Amick at FanHouse that the Orlando Magic have inquired about Paul's availability from the Hornets. The Daily News reports both the Nets and Knicks have interest, with the Nets even making an offer.

A few quick thoughts. First, calls like this are made all the time in the NBA. Teams call around all the time and ask about this player or that, guys who may well not be available. You need to upgrade at the point you call a team like the Hornets, where talks have apparently stalled to bring in new owner Gary Chouest -- it doesn't take this long to finalize a deal -- and the old owner may want to cut more salary. You don't know who is really available unless you ask, so teams ask. A lot more than you think.

(By the way, if you were a crafty owner looking to sell your team like George Shinn, but you couldn't get the new owner to take on as much debt as you like, would leaking a rumor though a reliable source that Chris Paul is on the block be a smart move to speed the process along? It might well be.)

Second, I know what World Wide Wes is saying, but it really makes little sense for the Hornets to part with Chris Paul. Yes, he had some injuries and played just 45 games last year. Yes he makes nearly $15 million this year and $16.3 million next year (with a player option after that), and the Hornets are not a high revenue franchise and the sale talks have stalled. But Paul is the best point guard in the NBA and a guy who is at the heart of the Hornets marketing efforts. Chris Paul sells tickets and wins games. What he makes is a fair price for him (in the inflated NBA-realm of what is fair) and the Hornets would never get real value back.

Next, is it really any shock the Nets or Knicks would be interested? These are two teams looking for a big start to rebuild around and Paul would fit the bill. The Daily News reports that the Nets offered Devin Harris and the No. 3 pick in the draft for Paul, but were shot down.

Finally, the most interesting part of this may be Orlando's interest. This shows Orlando is thinking the Jameer Nelson/Dwight Howard combo many not be the answer, and if they have to make changes it is not Howard that has to go.

Point guard was actually the weakest position statistically on the Magic last year, for example look at PER generated and PER against (not a perfect measure, but one that gives you some idea). Jason Williams coming off the bench was part of that issue, but it was also with Nelson. Nelson was just a +1.5 per 48 minutes on the court this season, a number well below Howard (+10.8) or even Vince Carter (+6.9). Simply, the Magic were not that much better than their opponents with the shoot-first point guard Nelson at the helm.

The Magic may have their eye on a more traditional point guard. Jameer Nelson is actually pretty movable making $8.1 million per year for two more years.

However, finding someone better than will not be that easy -- he brings a lot to the table and Orlando would miss his scoring. This may have been just a one-time shot in the dark to ask about Paul. Or, it may be part of a plan we see unfold over the summer.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/report-orlando-magic-ask-about-trading-for-chris-paul.php

NYLurker2010
06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
In other news: The New York Knicks hope to sign a big name free agent in the coming weeks

mikantsass
06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
The title should read:

Every team in the NBA is interested in CP3 except Boston, Phoenix, Chicago and Utah.

saintdrew
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Ha people are just crossing their fingers that the Hornets trade CP3...well guess what...

it's not happening!

J4KOP99
06-22-2010, 10:12 AM
The magic would be insane if they had a 1-2 of CP and Dwight.

Jameer Nelson and a draft pick for Paul

(I haven't looked at salaries or cap space so I doubt there is any chance that trade would work)

S-Dot
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
would be a really nice move for ORL, but there's nothing they can offer outside of Dwight they should cause New Orleans to make this move

Raoul Duke
06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow! I had no idea other teams were interested in Chris Paul! Good thing this story came out!

Ha people are just crossing their fingers that the Hornets trade CP3...well guess what...

it's not happening!

And no matter how many times NO fans say that, noone seems to listen.

ManRam
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
It's not going to happen. Not only can other teams offer better packages, but I don't see NO trading him.

The reason I'm excited about this news is not because I think we can get Paul, but because Otis is inquiring about big-name players, after he has continually said he is only going to make minor tweaks.

Pakfan4Life
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
It looks like the Nets are more interested in Paul right now, having made an offer already.

PrettyBoyJ
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I doubt it happens.. but if it does, I wouldnt be surprised.. NO has declined since 08' and they need new pieces in order to remain in that elite conversation.. I see a lot of frustrating years for CP3 which may lead to a trade request but not this year

ManRam
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/report-orlando-magic-ask-about-trading-for-chris-paul.php

Nets, Knicks and Magic have all inquired.

Tony_Starks
06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
What in the world could the Knicks possibly offer? Thats just ridiculous.....

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't get your hopes up haha but if it did....

Paul+ Peja for jameer, brandon bass, first round pick?

To save money

prodigy
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
While these teams focus on Paul, The Cavs grab Bosh. Get it done Grant.

NYLurker2010
06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
unless im getting Lebron back in a trade there is no way!

he is the reason people come to watch the Hornets.

Collison is good sure but you dont just dump a generational player like Paul for cap$

S-Dot
06-22-2010, 10:37 AM

To save money

Money is surely important, but losing CP3 for those players just wouldn't happen.

prodigy
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM

To save money

LOL, you dump Okafor to save money, not Paul. If that was the case Cleveland would be a much better trading partner for the Hornets.

imagesrdecievin
06-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Collison is good sure but you dont just dump a generational player like Paul for cap$

basketball men don't - but cheap ***** owners do.

hgtiger32
06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
i doubt this would happen but if chris paul and dwight howard are playing together i'd go crazy cuz those 2 are my favorite players...damn that be awesome! i can dream

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
LOL, you dump Okafor to save money, not Paul. If that was the case Cleveland would be a much better trading partner for the Hornets.

No one wants okafor, and the magic have dwight!!! so they would HAVE to take peja's contract... bc they aren't trading west and DEF not trading paul by himself w/o trading someones contract with him

kingkenny01
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
why isn't every team after if he really is going to be trading be is the best PG in the league
i think it is just teams trying to go after a untouchable player

Ragun
06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
none of those teams have the pieces to get paul.

D1JM
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
What in the world could the Knicks possibly offer? Thats just ridiculous.....

timesquare?

CaptainStu5
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
No one wants okafor, and the magic have dwight!!! so they would HAVE to take peja's contract... bc they aren't trading west and DEF not trading paul by himself w/o trading someones contract with him

Hornets suck haha

:laugh2:

:facepalm: Peja's contract has value this season as a big expiring. And yes, no one wants Okafor, that's why you package him with Paul. So you want them to trade their biggest expiring and by far their best player for.....what?

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
none of those teams have the pieces to get paul.

true. i think the only teams that have the pieces w/o involving a pg (if collison is the future) is memphis, mavs, portland, and maybe nets (but wont give up lopez)

Mishmin
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
someone explain to me how the knicks could possibly get paul. Just writing a huge check? I guess that's it really huh. If they were able to pull that off in some dream, that might be enough to get lebron over there, and just thinking about those two together makes me fall down.

Swashcuff
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
are you guys who are saying dump CP3 for $$$$ ****ing kidding me? You stand to lose more in revenue by trading away your top draw, jersey seller and all hope of competing in the west for a slightly above average player(s) and picks. Ya'll being serious right now. If you guys said something along the lines of actually trading to both save and benefit the team I can totally understand but its ridiculous to think that the hornets would do something like that. Under these circumstances trading Chris Paul just to save salary money makes no sense whatsoever. It'll be worst than the Jamison and Gasol trade combined.

If the hornets do indeed deal Paul (which in all likeliness is not going to happen) it would be for player(s) who can be of a serious benefit to them now and in the long run. Not just to dump salary. You dump Samuel Dalembert hell you even dump Andre Igoudala but Chris Paul who is ALL World, you just don't do that. That kind off thinking is absolutely asinine.

This isn't NBA 2K11 we're talking about here this is the REAL NBA.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
:facepalm: Peja's contract has value this season as a big expiring. And yes, no one wants Okafor, that's why you package him with Paul. So you want them to trade their biggest expiring and by far their best player for.....what?

Were talking about the Magic!! So you think the magic would take okafor in this deal? lol nooooo...

Swashcuff
06-22-2010, 11:16 AM

(I haven't looked at salaries or cap space so I doubt there is any chance that trade would work)

dude i haven't done this in quite some time but this deserves it :facepalm:

Da Knicks
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
How about they could take on Pauls contract and Poseys and still give the hornets David Lee all star, Wilson Chandler young player small contract and save them money while giving them the option of getting rid of Okafors hideous contract to go with West for draft picks and a young cheap center. This is a small market with a new owner anything can happen.

pg. Collison
sg. Thornton
sf. Chandler
pf. Lee
c. Beidrens?

That is a young lineup that could be dangerous for years.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
are you guys who are saying dump CP3 for $$$$ ****ing kidding me? You stand to lose more in revenue by trading away your top draw, jersey seller and all hope of competing in the west for a slightly above average player(s) and picks. Ya'll being serious right now. If you guys said something along the lines of actually trading to both save and benefit the team I can totally understand but its ridiculous to think that the hornets would do something like that. Under these circumstances trading Chris Paul just to save salary money makes no sense whatsoever. It'll be worst than the Jamison and Gasol trade combined.

If the hornets do indeed deal Paul (which in all likeliness is not going to happen) it would be for player(s) who can be of a serious benefit to them now and in the long run. Not just to dump salary. You dump Samuel Dalembert hell you even dump Andre Igoudala but Chris Paul who is ALL World, you just don't do that. That kind off thinking is absolutely asinine.

This isn't NBA 2K11 we're talking about here this is the REAL NBA.

Jameer has been all star pg, brandon bass would def help the post problems off the bench, JJ redick up and coming 6th man, and a first round draft pick, And they are saving a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!

I mean the lakers traded shaq in his prime to miami for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant

Mishmin
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
How about they could take on Pauls contract and Poseys and still give the hornets David Lee all star, Wilson Chandler young player small contract and save them money while giving them the option of getting rid of Okafors hideous contract to go with West for draft picks and a young cheap center. This is a small market with a new owner anything can happen.

pg. Collison
sg. Thornton
sf. Chandler
pf. Lee
c. Beidrens?

That is a young lineup that could be dangerous for years.

Dangerous in a high school pick up game- that's an "end of the game, up or down 20" group my friend, with the exception of lee.

second, lee's contract is up for grabs anyway, he can go where he pleases- no way is paul gettin dropped for that deal. I'm not sold.

Giaps
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Knicks can offer a ton of salary relief but not much else (is. Okafor, Peja, Posey).

BkOriginalOne
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I would love for Paul to move to NY or another big market like that.
But it's not going to happen. Paul is on the NBA's exclusive list of untradeables. It would seriously be one of the worst GM moves unless Bower decides to swap for Deron WIlliams, which is not gonna happen.

Da Knicks
06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah to get Paul it will take alot and all new york can offer is that but if lee wants all the money he can get a sign and trade is not far fetched. This way Lee can get the final 6th year since he would be able to be moved along with his bird rights but i just dont think it will happen for Paul. N.O. can get alot more for Paul....

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
And how do we know Paul is gonna be the BEST pg when he comes back? he hasnt played one game yet this season, and when he played at the end of the season last year he wasnt looking too good i know i know he wasnt fully healed but he was sitting on the bench like dang this collison dude is taking minutes from me....

I honestly think D Will is the best pg now UNTIL paul proves everyone he still got it

PERFECT EXAMPLE: YAO MING!!!!! He was the best center in the whole nba then that injury happened are we gonna say he's better than dwight howard??? no!!

until he proves he's better we have to wait and see

stoopboy45
06-22-2010, 12:07 PM

If they have already turned down Devin Harris and the #3 pick in the draft from the Nets.....why would they take Nelson and a much much lower pick??? Just curious.

Ill21
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
No way NY has enough to trade for CP3

97NYer
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Look at CP3's stats....why the hell would a team who missed the playoff's trade statistically the best PG of the last few years and their franchise player?

RipVW
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Who does NY have to offer? Their roster consists of 3 guys and none of them are worth taking in exchange for Chris Paul.

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Chris Paul + Dwight Howard would be BEAST. It would be Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire 2.0 xcept they would be better.

Double_R
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Orlando does have an 8mil trade exception, also they have Gortat, who is a hot commodity... They also have Vince Carter's expiring contract after next season, and they could trade Jameer in a 3 team deal, so they do have some options, just saying

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
And how do we know Paul is gonna be the BEST pg when he comes back? he hasnt played one game yet this season, and when he played at the end of the season last year he wasnt looking too good i know i know he wasnt fully healed but he was sitting on the bench like dang this collison dude is taking minutes from me....

I honestly think D Will is the best pg now UNTIL paul proves everyone he still got it

PERFECT EXAMPLE: YAO MING!!!!! He was the best center in the whole nba then that injury happened are we gonna say he's better than dwight howard??? no!!

until he proves he's better we have to wait and see

Chris Paul has been the best PG in the league every year he's been in the league...yes...even last year. Chris Paul was injured all last year and he STILL averaged better stats than Deron Williams. Paul averaged 19/11/2 on 49% shooting while Williams averaged 19/11/1 on 47% shooting and that is an injured Chris Paul vs a healthy Deron Williams.

i don't know where people got the crazy idea that Deron Williams is better than Chris Paul. He's not even better than a injured Chris Paul much less a healthy one.

Giaps
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Who does NY have to offer? Their roster consists of 3 guys and none of them are worth taking in exchange for Chris Paul.
First of all, it's 5 players and 7 if you count their 2 2nd rounders. That's a lot more players than the Heat have. Not knocking the Heat here, but it seems everyone points to NY with their bare roster while Miami has far less players signed up for 2010.

As for the package for CP3, they probably don't have what it takes to get him because of what they would give up. I think they could definitely get him IF they offered Gallo, Chandler, expiring Curry contract + another throw in for CP3 and take on another large contract. They could, but that would be rape.

69centers
06-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Chris Paul has been the best PG in the league every year he's been in the league...yes...even last year. Chris Paul was injured all last year and he STILL averaged better stats than Deron Williams. Paul averaged 19/11/2 on 49% shooting while Williams averaged 19/11/1 on 47% shooting and that is an injured Chris Paul vs a healthy Deron Williams.

i don't know where people got the crazy idea that Deron Williams is better than Chris Paul. He's not even better than a injured Chris Paul much less a healthy one.

:facepalm:

Someone please teach this dude that it's easier to average higher stats when you play less games. :pity:

Double_R
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Someone please teach this dude that it's easier to average higher stats when you play less games. :pity:

I like where this is going... that being said it is easier, but even when they play the same games, Paul has better stats across the board, including ft% and fg% with no Carlos Boozer

NYK_kidd77
06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
I dont see any reason why they would trade cp3 if they need to drop some bad contracts they can do it without losing him. For example packaging Collison with Okafor.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

:clap:

Couldnt said it better!!! and D WILL HAS BETTER TALENT AROUND HIM!!!! Your stats drop when you play with great people. IF YOU SWAPPED D WILL WITH PAUL, D WILL's stats would even be better!! Scoring wise

tbomlad
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Jameer has been all star pg, brandon bass would def help the post problems off the bench, JJ redick up and coming 6th man, and a first round draft pick, And they are saving a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!

I mean the lakers traded shaq in his prime to miami for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant

No, no, no...take away JJ from that equation. That's too much for Chris Paul. Jameer is one of the best PGs in the game, Bass is absolutely quality- in fact the Magic grossly misplayed him (by not playing him), and a first round pick is fair enough! Lets not go insane. Magic have alot of trading pieces but I'm not willing to gut the team.

RipVW
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
First of all, it's 5 players and 7 if you count their 2 2nd rounders. That's a lot more players than the Heat have. Not knocking the Heat here, but it seems everyone points to NY with their bare roster while Miami has far less players signed up for 2010.

As for the package for CP3, they probably don't have what it takes to get him because of what they would give up. I think they could definitely get him IF they offered Gallo, Chandler, expiring Curry contract + another throw in for CP3 and take on another large contract. They could, but that would be rape.

I dont think they have enough to get him. If NO was going to trade him, NYK has to be able to offer more than other teams. The Nets have more to offer than NYK. NY is at the point where they are about to add instead of subtract. This is bad timing for them. You can thank the Isaiah Thomas era for this.

tbomlad
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
And then the Magic should trade Carter for Arenas.

Double_R
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Couldnt said it better!!! and D WILL HAS BETTER TALENT AROUND HIM!!!! Your stats drop when you play with great people. IF YOU SWAPPED D WILL WITH PAUL, D WILL's stats would even be better!! Scoring wise

THat is not really the case with pg's though, usually the better the team the better your stats, look at Rondo for example, put him on the t-wolves and we aren't even talking about him

NY-SportsFan
06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
People seem to forget the fact that Chris Paul had a major knee injury. His meniscus was not repaired, it was removed. You cant just assume he will be the same player. for a small guy that relies on speed and quickness a knee injury like that is something that could hinder him throughout his career. He may not be able to play with the recklessness he had in the past, likely limiting his effectiveness.

I hope the Knicks stay away. I would much rather use Curry(expiring) and chandler and take on Okafor's contract for Collison. He is no Chris Paul, but Paul's health concerns are enough to not sell the farm for him.

Rivera
06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
honestly lovin orlando i would pick up ANY AND ALL bad contracts NO has such as peja n okafor to get CP3 and give them almost every1 they want

nelson + carter (expiring) 1st round pick bass n or gortat

cause when u have the core of CP3 N DWIGHT n have lewis a sharp shooting 3 i can find a few expierenced players who would want to come here for cheap 2 play with CP3 N DWIGHT such as a ray allen?

Cromedome
06-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Chris paul needs to come to the Knicks because it's about time we got lucky and get someone superstar worthy.

RipVW
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Chris paul needs to come to the Knicks because it's about time we got lucky and get someone superstar worthy.

You have Galindo, who youve been hyping as Larry Bird II.

jrm2054
06-22-2010, 01:42 PM
if healthy cp3 on the magic would be scary let's see how much CP3's stats would go up with D12 compared to Dwill with Boozer

AI4MVP
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
if healthy cp3 on the magic would be scary let's see how much CP3's stats would go up with D12 compared to Dwill with Boozer

scary? more like champions. The Magic finally get a real superstar and Dwight Howard gets placed where he belongs: second fiddle

NYK_kidd77
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
You have Galindo, who youve been hyping as Larry Bird II.

come on dont compare Gallo to a scrub like bird.

Rosh
06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Haha, the Knicks.

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM

that's not the case with PGs. PGs averages BETTER stats and MORE assists when they have more talent around them. so according to your logic, Chris Paul's 11 assists is more valuable than Deron William's because Paul has less talent around him.

and also...i think 40 games a good sample of games. Paul's stats are legit.

AI4MVP
06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
i just read on espn bottom line that NO is not interested in trading Chris Paul, though NJ offered Devin Harris and number three pick and Memphis offered a package around OJ Mayo.

Honestly i would have done the trade with NJ, forced them to take Okafor too, and take Demarcus Cousins with the number three if they are in rebuilding mode. But i guess they believe they can get it down next year?

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
i just read on espn bottom line that NO is not interested in trading Chris Paul, though NJ offered Devin Harris and number three pick and Memphis offered a package around OJ Mayo.

Honestly i would have done the trade with NJ, forced them to take Okafor too, and take Demarcus Cousins with the number three if they are in rebuilding mode. But i guess they believe they can get it down next year?

the Kings said the samething about Kevin Martin but they ended up trading Kevin Martin to the Rockets for less than what they could've got from other teams :shrug: if there is a cause (and there definitely is with the Hornets with their need to cut cost), there's a possibility.

Double_R
06-22-2010, 02:08 PM
that's not the case with PGs. PGs averages BETTER stats and MORE assists when they have more talent around them. so according to your logic, Chris Paul's 11 assists is more valuable than Deron William's because Paul has less talent around him.

and also...i think 40 games a good sample of games. Paul's stats are legit.

Top part: did you read my post on the last page... pretty identical... so I like this

Bottom part: Yea a half season is a pretty good sample of a player's stats, also Paul played the last couple weeks of the season when he was coming off injury and playing limited minutes and all of his stats were down from his usual ones thus skewing his season stats even lower than normal based on his limited play and ability at the time.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
THat is not really the case with pg's though, usually the better the team the better your stats, look at Rondo for example, put him on the t-wolves and we aren't even talking about him

Okay look at paul pierce!!! his stats went down, put him on the t wolves he would have insane numbers!! so you cant say that either...

You CAN NOT tell me if D Will was on the hornets instead of paul right now that his stats would go down hahahaha thats nonsense

S-Dot
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
the Kings said the samething about Kevin Martin but they ended up trading Kevin Martin to the Rockets for less than what they could've got from other teams :shrug: if there is a cause (and there definitely is with the Hornets with their need to cut cost), there's a possibility.

the kings also had a rookie who caught everyone by surprise named Tyreke Evans. Collison is good, but he doesn't have that "franchise player" potential like Tyreke has. In addition, Kevin Martin and CP3 aren't on the same level of comparison when it comes to the importance each of these players had on their respective franchises (when Kevin played for SAC).

abe_froman
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM

the franchise's well being wasnt linked to martin being there,chris paul accounts for like 90% of the revenue they take in

he's not there and no one will show up

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Okay look at paul pierce!!! his stats went down, put him on the t wolves he would have insane numbers!! so you cant say that either...

You CAN NOT tell me if D Will was on the hornets instead of paul right now that his stats would go down hahahaha thats nonsense

his stats would go down. Their PGs. Rebounders averages less rebounds when they play with other good rebounders. scorers averages less points when they play with other scorers. But PGs average more assists when they play with better players. PGs depends on other players making the shots they give them to get assists...better teammates = more shots made which in turns = to more assists. Dwill has better teammates than Chris Paul therefore Chris Paul's 11 assists is more valuable than Dwill's.

Chris Paul also averages 47% from the field for his career and that's with the oppossing team focusing their defense on him. Dwill averages almost the same % and that's with other player around him taking the pressure of the defense off of him.

if Dwill and Chris Paul switch places...Dwill will average a worse FG% and less assists.

FOBolous
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
the franchise's well being wasnt linked to martin being there,chris paul accounts for like 90% of the revenue they take in

he's not there and no one will show up

no..Kevin Martin was pretty much the face of the King's franchise when he was there until Tyreke Evans showed up. Hornets face a similar situation...they need to cut cost and they won't lose TOO MUCH if they trade Paul because they got Darren Collison ready to pick up the mantle. I don't know if yall know by Collison averages 19pts and 9 assists last year in all the games where he played 27+ minutes. he's a pretty amazing player.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
his stats would go down. Their PGs. Rebounders averages less rebounds when they play with other good rebounders. scorers averages less points when they play with other scorers. But PGs average more assists when they play with better players. PGs depends on other players making the shots they give them to get assists...better teammates = more shots made which in turns = to more assists. Dwill has better teammates than Chris Paul therefore Chris Paul's 11 assists is more valuable than Dwill's.

Chris Paul also averages 47% from the field for his career and that's with the oppossing team focusing their defense on him. Dwill averages almost the same % and that's with other player around him taking the pressure of the defense off of him.

if Dwill and Chris Paul switch places...Dwill will average a worse FG% and less assists.

I said he would have better stats scoring wise!! and the same assist

S-Dot
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
no..Kevin Martin was pretty much the face of the King's franchise when he was there until Tyreke Evans showed up. Hornets face a similar situation...they need to cut cost and they won't lose TOO MUCH if they trade Paul because they got Darren Collison ready to pick up the mantle. I don't know if yall know by Collison averages 19pts and 9 assists last year in all the games where he played 27+ minutes. he's a pretty amazing player.

Collison is good, but CP3 is the New Orleans Hornets. I couldn't say the same for Kevin Martin and SAC-town, especialy when Tyreke Evans came. I agree; Collison was impressive, but he was no Tyreke Evans, and Kevin Martin was no CP3 as far as importance to their teams.

abe_froman
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM

no by the time kevin was traded,evans had become the face of the franchise,the one putting the butts in the seats..talk to sac fans,they'll tell you

noh is in money trouble,but you dont solve your money woes by trading your biggest cash cow(seriously you dont need to take econ 101 to get that,just common sense).so that leaves everyone else to be salary dumped,not him

Swashcuff
06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Dude wtf are you talking about Shaq in his Prime??? and quite frankly Brandon Bass and Jameer Nelson are no match for the quality of LO and Butler.... and wasn't it a case where the Lakers had some really choppy waters and were looking to reasemble after being dismantled in the finals by Detroit.

You can't be serious right. Jameer was an All Star in the east when they had little compertition at the 1. Put him in the west and he wouldn't even have been top 5. You must be joking... they already have thier 6th man and PF and PG so why in the hell would they trade for any of the players????

To save money? Ahhhhhhhhh gimme a break.

You lose more in the long run if you replace Paul with guys like that. The franchise wont be making a smart decision. Try again.

Swashcuff
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
the most logical of all those teams mentioned is the nets but in order to pull off such a deal they may need a third team. The fact of the matter is the hornets are not going to trade paul unless its in the best interest of the franchise both financial and basketball wise. Anything else is down right foolish.

SluggeR
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
I feel the Nets and Magic could make the best offers. CP3+Superman=DAT D@MN!!!!

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
the most logical of all those teams mentioned is the nets but in order to pull off such a deal they may need a third team. The fact of the matter is the hornets are not going to trade paul unless its in the best interest of the franchise both financial and basketball wise. Anything else is down right foolish.

nets could do this if they wanted

numba1CHANGsta
06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
0% chance the Magic get him
25% chance the Knicks get him
50% the Nets get him
75% he stays in NO

mgsports
06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
The Magic get West back to but give up Reddick-RFA,Anderson,Gortat and Bass

NY-SportsFan
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
50% the Nets get him
75% he stays in NO

Dear Lord...

DMasta718
06-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Dear Lord...

lmao. that was horrible.

mgsports
06-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Won't work in ESPN NBA Trade Machine Magic would have to give up more then Nelson,Bass,Gortat and Anderson.

nolafan33
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
The Hornets aren't trading CP to Orlando, I know that. The reason CP may be available in the first place is because of Darren Collison. If you trade CP to Orlando Nelson would be part of the deal, and I doubt the Hornets would take that off. Besides, Orlando doesn't have anything of value really. If CP is traded, it will be to a team with a top pick in the draft.

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
The Hornets aren't trading CP to Orlando, I know that. The reason CP may be available in the first place is because of Darren Collison. If you trade CP to Orlando Nelson would be part of the deal, and I doubt the Hornets would take that off. Besides, Orlando doesn't have anything of value really. If CP is traded, it will be to a team with a top pick in the draft.

that is why nets need to get off their ***** and do something

D Roses Bulls
06-22-2010, 06:19 PM
It's not going to happen. Not only can other teams offer better packages, but I don't see NO trading him.

The reason I'm excited about this news is not because I think we can get Paul, but because Otis is inquiring about big-name players, after he has continually said he is only going to make minor tweaks.

I dont see NO trading him, but I don't agree other teams that can offer better deals. Like he brought up the point in the article of Jameer having a really tradeable contract, also they have many more pieces a lot of teams dont have and the magic definitely have way more to offer then the nets and knicks. I think Vince Carter could be a big trading chip if the Magic do decide to field offers for him.

Niro
06-22-2010, 06:21 PM
cp3 and dwight = domination

x_notorious
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith said Tuesday that the Magic have not inquired about Chris Paul’s availability. News broke earlier in the day that the Magic were one of a handful of teams who had contacted the Hornets about Paul’s availability, but Smith said "Nope. It’s the first I’ve heard of it." We’re not sure if this reflects negatively or positively on Smith, as you would think every GM in the league would be calling the Hornets to see what it might take to get Paul. Jameer Nelson is an adequate NBA point guard, while CP3 is a superstar.

rotoworld

koreancabbage
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
no way they trade Paul.

IF ANYTHING, they trade away Collison and Peja for the piece they need

abe_froman
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
50% the Nets get him
75% he stays in NO

more likie 99% noh
1% anywhere else

koreancabbage
06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
more likie 99% noh
1% anywhere else

+1
its gonna have to be a hell of deal for it to happen.

provider
06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
The title should read:

Every team in the NBA is interested in CP3 except Boston, Phoenix, Chicago and Utah.

yeah and i like the jets suck sig look at mines:clap: lol

cooters22
06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Dear Lord...

75 + 25 + 50, almost equals 150%, dude thats more than 100%.

Avenged
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Didn't read through the thread but imagine Dwight and Paul together? It doesn't matter who'd they have around them, that team would probably still be a top team.

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
paul to the nets!

Rivera
06-22-2010, 07:03 PM
lmao. that was horrible.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ElMarroAfamado
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
the title should read
people always complain about everything and everything and are never content

LTBaByyy
Dude wtf are you talking about Shaq in his Prime??? and quite frankly Brandon Bass and Jameer Nelson are no match for the quality of LO and Butler.... and wasn't it a case where the Lakers had some really choppy waters and were looking to reasemble after being dismantled in the finals by Detroit.

You can't be serious right. Jameer was an All Star in the east when they had little compertition at the 1. Put him in the west and he wouldn't even have been top 5. You must be joking... they already have thier 6th man and PF and PG so why in the hell would they trade for any of the players????

To save money? Ahhhhhhhhh gimme a break.

You lose more in the long run if you replace Paul with guys like that. The franchise wont be making a smart decision. Try again.

Don't try to play me like that bro, Shaq averaged 21.5 pts and 11.5 rebounds that year!!! better numbers than Pau Gasol this year and DWIGHT HOWARD this year at 24 yrs old!! Are they not in their prime??? it was at the end of his prime, why would miami quote say "we feel like we have the best player in the NBA" if he wasnt still at the top of his game organizations say we feel like it is a great addition to our team....

caron averaged 9 pts bro!! he wasnt all star caliber til Washington, and Lamar Odom averaged 17 points, your acting like he was one of the best in the league

Do your research next time: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1839693

D Roses Bulls
Orlando's Interest in Chris Paul Involves Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson

ORLANDO -- The Orlando Magic's preliminary inquiry into the availability of point guard Chris Paul involved a discussion that included a trade of both starting guards Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson to New Orleans.

The Magic, as part of the early discussion, would receive both Paul and small forward James Posey, according to a second NBA source that confirmed the original FanHouse story by Sam Amick involving the two teams.

Although Paul clearly is the best player in the talks, the Hornets are interested in reducing future salary obligations. The team is in the midst of an ownership sale/transfer that has been stalled by the debt obligations that the new owner would incur.

Paul has three years remaining on his contract worth $49 million. The final year, at $17.7 million, is a player's option.

Although Carter is past his prime, he is attractive because he has only one year remaining on his contract, worth $17.7 million. It would allow the Hornets to drop below the salary cap next summer. Nelson, an All-Star point guard two seasons ago, has three years remaining at $6.7, $7.3 and $7.8 million, making less than half of Paul's salary.

Share The inclusion of Posey, who is scheduled to make $6.4 and $6.9 million, would make the deal work under salary cap rules and give the Magic a starting small forward to replace Matt Barnes, who is expected to leave as a free agent this summer.

The Magic, who lost in the NBA Finals two years ago and this season in the conference final to the Boston Celtics, are looking to upgrade the roster surrounding franchise center Dwight Howard.

The Magic are just one of several teams that have inquired into Paul's availability, according to league sources. Paul would be considered a significant upgrade over Nelson.

Paul averaged 19.4 points and 9.9 assists in his first four seasons in the league. Last season, though, he missed the final 37 games with knee and ankle problems, averaging 18.7 points. He is expected to be 100 percent by the start of next season.

One reason the Hornets would be willing to entertain the thought of parting with Paul was the rapid growth of Darren Collison, who was a huge surprise as a rookie last season.

In his 36 starts -- after Paul left for the season -- Collison averaged 18.6 points and 9.1 assists. Combined with Nelson, the two could provide an adequate replacement for Paul at half the cost.

The Magic, meanwhile, would be taking on more future financial obligations, but they have expressed a willingness to delve into the luxury tax territory in their quest to win a championship. Their incoming revenue stream is expected to increase significantly next season when they move into a new downtown arena.

They also were disappointed this spring in the performance of Carter, who struggled in the conference final against the Celtics, failing to provide the offensive leadership the Magic expected.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/22/orlandos-interest-in-chris-paul-involves-vince-carter-jameer-n/

I kind of figured it would involved carter...... his expiring is huge andhe canstill giveya 17-20 ppg. I kind of hope this goes down even though it probably wont

D Roses Bulls
06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Paul
Pietrus (Maybe they get another shooting guard in a trade or with the mid level for a year like maybe a ray allen)
Posey
Lewis
Howard

That would look really good. the magic have a lot of options

*Silver&Black*
06-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't think CP3 is going anywhere. Why would the Hornets want Jameer Nelson if trading CP3 for Collison? Sounds like a Magic trade rumor to me.

But if traded, can someone give a better package than one including Horford and ATL's 1st?

We can give up Horford, our 1st, and Bibby/Crawford and prob take back a bad contract like Okafor. Hornets will then have Collison with a young All-star PF in Horford, which none of the rumored teams can give them.

CP3
Joe Johnson
Marvin Williams
Josh Smith
Okafor

Swashcuff
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't try to play me like that bro, Shaq averaged 21.5 pts and 11.5 rebounds that year!!! better numbers than Pau Gasol this year and DWIGHT HOWARD this year at 24 yrs old!! Are they not in their prime??? it was at the end of his prime, why would miami quote say "we feel like we have the best player in the NBA" if he wasnt still at the top of his game organizations say we feel like it is a great addition to our team....

caron averaged 9 pts bro!! he wasnt all star caliber til Washington, and Lamar Odom averaged 17 points, your acting like he was one of the best in the league

Do your research next time: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1839693

lmaoooooo you stick to ur stats and averages and I'd stick to what I KNOW and SAW. Prime Shaq? Prime Shaq? sigh you never saw prime Shaq if you think he was at his best that season. Caron Butler that season was very much like Trevor Ariza of last 08-09. Plenty brilliant flashes and everyone knew he was going to become a real decent player once given the chance to.

I don't need to research something I knew.

Why in the hell are you comparing Shaq to Gasol and Dwight?

Whats your point?

Miami said that but they knew it wasn't true. He was still the most dominant but his best years were behind him AND most importantly the Lakers made a decision because of their future aka Kobe Bryant who fell out of good graces with their star C.

Dont talk to me about doing my research. Next time understand what you are talking about before making misinformed statements.

D Roses Bulls
06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't think CP3 is going anywhere. Why would the Hornets want Jameer Nelson if trading CP3 for Collison? Sounds like a Magic trade rumor to me.

But if traded, can someone give a better package than one including Horford and ATL's 1st?

We can give up Horford, our 1st, and Bibby/Crawford and prob take back a bad contract like Okafor.

CP3
Joe Johnson
Marvin Williams
Josh Smith
Okafor

I dont think Horford will be going anywhere, besides he still in his rookie contract if im not mistaking. Horford will be real good and the general rule is you really never trade bigs for smalls.

*Silver&Black*
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I dont think Horford will be going anywhere, besides he still in his rookie contract if im not mistaking. Horford will be real good and the general rule is you really never trade bigs for smalls.

Well, we have Josh Smith and Horford. CP3 and Josh Smith = :drool:
We also need a true center.

I think Horford and 1st is a better offer for CP3 than anything else I seen. I don't think the Hornets would want Josh Smith.

The Jokemaker
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I could definitely see the Hornets trading Paul away this offseason. That team is rebuilding, cheap, and looking to change owners. No real reason to care much about PR because it's hard to sell tickets to a team that isn't going to win games. Might as well trade Paul while his value is high and get a draft pick and some young players to sell your fans on.

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 07:36 PM
nets have alot of draft picks and decent players to get this deal done.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I could definitely see the Hornets trading Paul away this offseason. That team is rebuilding, cheap, and looking to change owners. No real reason to care much about PR because it's hard to sell tickets to a team that isn't going to win games. Might as well trade Paul while his value is high and get a draft pick and some young players to sell your fans on.

Thank you!!!! I think they will move to Las Vegas anyways when that bad *** arena is done being built! for the 2011-2012 season, just a guess?

cause they need money!!! Or go to seattle... I mean the saints is the real heart of that city so as long as they have them

nolafan33
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you!!!! I think they will move to Las Vegas anyways when that bad *** arena is done being built! for the 2011-2012 season, just a guess?

cause they need money!!! Or go to seattle... I mean the saints is the real heart of that city so as long as they have them

When Chouest owns the Hornets they'll no longer be thought of as cheap and in need of money. Chouest would jump near the top in wealth as far as NBA owners go. The guy is loaded, Cuban loaded.

He's also a local, and has already said the Hornets won't leave New Orleans with him as owner. Shinn was a terrible owner. Not very rich, wasn't thought of highly in NBA circles, the Hornets was his main source of income. The exact opposite could be said of Chouest.

marlinsfan24
06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
If the reported Orlando deal goes down. Paul and Posey for Vince, Nelson, and picks. Then the Magic should consider giving TMac a shot on the team.

Paul
McGrady
Posey
Lewis
Howard

jcbetson
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM

im sure hornets fans thought the same about baron davis....

goose15
06-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Dont think the Knicks have anything the Hornets want... Maybe trade for Collison

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
i hope we get paul so bad

The Jokemaker
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
When Chouest owns the Hornets they'll no longer be thought of as cheap and in need of money. Chouest would jump near the top in wealth as far as NBA owners go. The guy is loaded, Cuban loaded.

He's also a local, and has already said the Hornets won't leave New Orleans with him as owner. Shinn was a terrible owner. Not very rich, wasn't thought of highly in NBA circles, the Hornets was his main source of income. The exact opposite could be said of Chouest.

That's all great and everything but if he loves the Hornets so much, shouldn't this deal be done by now? This is a crucial time to start building the team and a new owner needs to happen with money so they can improve this offseason. If the current owner has to sweeten the deal by ditching Paul then does this new prospect owner really have winning in his mind?

Wade_County
06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
CP3 will be that starting PG for NO come the start of the season.....

Wilson
06-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Chris Paul to Dwight Howard on the fast break... :drool: I don't think the Magic have the right pieces though...

RadiantShot
06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure, but I heard N.O. Rejected a deal that would send Chris Paul to Memphis for Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo...I'll try to find a source later. Anyway, I don't think they'll part with Chris Paul. None of the 3 mentioned teams have assets they'd be willing to trade, to land this deal. If Orlando got Paul though, you may slowly jizz and say.."Dynasty."

The Jokemaker
06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure, but I heard N.O. Rejected a deal that would send Chris Paul to Memphis for Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo...I'll try to find a source later. Anyway, I don't think they'll part with Chris Paul. None of the 3 mentioned teams have assets they'd be willing to trade, to land this deal. If Orlando got Paul though, you may slowly jizz and say.."Dynasty."

Good. I don't want the Grizzlies to do that deal. Paul is good but I'd rather keep the twosome of Mayo and Gay.

G-Bay New J
06-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Good. I don't want the Grizzlies to do that deal. Paul is good but I'd rather keep the twosome of Mayo and Gay.

Nets are signing Gay ;)

Raoul Duke_91
06-23-2010, 01:04 AM
didnt take the time to read all 8pgs. but any trade scenario involving any set of knicks players will never happen. Paul has more value then that entire team. Itll never happen but id love to see him in Chi town

PG-Paul
SG-Rose

rose isnt a great assist guy anyways.

I dont really see any viable scenario here. I would say the most realistic scenario is gotta be the nets, but the hornets will want Lopez and the pick. Which the nets will be reluctant to do because Lopez is an emerging star center and it leaves them with devin harris....who I guess could be your SG. Dont kid yourself Nets fans Lopez is far and away your most valuable asset and really the only thing that would possibly prevent a riot in New Orleans.
Actually other then the fact they'd be losing a fortune in marketing it wouldent be a horrible deal for the hornets Im no Hornets expert but I think I remeber them doing decently when paul was hurt and collison was at the helm + add an emerging star center and if they could somehow be assured that the #3 pick was turner....hey thats not a bad deal.

Collison
Turner
Sign Rudy Gay
David West
Brook Lopez

thats a solid team. Turner would then be the face of the franchise.....I cant believe it but I take it back, thats viable! i would trade chris paul if I were the hornets!!! lol

civ8821
06-23-2010, 01:32 AM
How about Monte Ellis/Randolf/ #6 pick For CP3.

machphantom
06-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Dont think the Knicks have anything the Hornets want... Maybe trade for Collison
I 100% agree but at the same time, I don't understand why people are mocking the Knicks for trying, even though you have <.01% shot of landing him. I would hope that Donnie would explore every permutation and possibility, no matter how small the chances were of it occurring.

IversonIsKrazy
06-23-2010, 02:03 AM
I see Darren Collison being traded this offseason, but not CP. This is just big dreamers.\

Article really focuses on the fact that Magic are looking for a new PG. Of-course they'd be interested in CP, any1 looking for a PG would be! But I think it's good that Orlando is looking for a traditional PG, I just don't like Jameer and Dwight together. Dwight already doesn't get enough touches inside the paint with shot-jackers like Rashard and Vince on the team, but they need a traditional PG, no doubt abt it.

robdizzle3
06-23-2010, 02:28 AM
If the Heat were smart, they would make a play and throw in Beasley, plus still trying to get Bosh or Amare. They would be a force to be reckon with.

Raoul Duke_91
06-23-2010, 02:50 AM
If the Heat were smart, they would make a play and throw in Beasley, plus still trying to get Bosh or Amare. They would be a force to be reckon with.

Beasley isnt good... it would take ALOT more then just beasley.

thenetslegend
06-23-2010, 03:02 AM
nets need to get this done, hopefully on draft day

robdizzle3
06-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Beasley isnt good... it would take ALOT more then just beasley.

True, without a doubt, but it would get the Hornets to listen. Unless thye Nets throw in Harris or Lopez, I dont see any other team that can offer that much.

ldc62
06-23-2010, 03:55 AM

At this point, hes not an asset. I rather get a draft pick back (low one) than getting Beas.

robdizzle3
06-23-2010, 04:50 AM
At this point, hes not an asset. I rather get a draft pick back (low one) than getting Beas.

Maybe its just me, but I dont think Beasley is done yet. I think he will suprise some teams in the future.

Super.
06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
The title should read:

****, i would trade Rondo for Paul

nolafan33
06-23-2010, 11:04 AM
That's all great and everything but if he loves the Hornets so much, shouldn't this deal be done by now? This is a crucial time to start building the team and a new owner needs to happen with money so they can improve this offseason. If the current owner has to sweeten the deal by ditching Paul then does this new prospect owner really have winning in his mind?

Couple the Deepwater Horizon incident with the idiot Shinn is and you see why this deal is so difficult.

As for Paul, there's nothing Chouest can do about him. Shinn still owns this team, it's his team, and if he wants to trade CP then that will happen. Though it's VERY well documented that with Shinn has owner CP is on the market, but the second Chouest owns this franchise CP is off the market.