PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Greg Oden PER stat

valade16
06-22-2010, 12:16 AM
So I know PER isn't everything, far from it.

However, I was still shocked to discover that last year Oden had the 8th highest (yes, that is real) PER of all players in the NBA at 23.14.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

I know it was only 21 games, but what does this mean, if anything about Greg Oden and what his development will ultimately be.

Thoughts?

Sox Appeal
06-22-2010, 12:17 AM
He's an extremely efficient offensive player, that rebounds at a high rate. Of course he's going to translate to PER well.

ldc62
06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
His development will be based on his health... simple as that

valade16
06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
He's an extremely efficient offensive player, that rebounds at a high rate. Of course he's going to translate to PER well.

What do you think his developmental ceiling is?

Or put another way, will he ever become the dominant big man he was supposed to become?

jimbobjarree
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
means he'l do a hell of a job for you when he plays his 21 games a year for the rest of his career

znick21
06-22-2010, 12:49 AM
there's no doubt when he's actually on the floor he is a highly efficient and productive player. if it weren't for injuries/foul trouble, he'd definitely be a top 3 center in the game today.

oregonbronco
06-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Greg just needs to stay healthy! He could be a top tier center if that happens

Avenged
06-22-2010, 12:56 AM
21 games isn't much throughout an NBA season.

Had he played a full season or majority of it then I can see where you're going with this.

Still think he can be a top 5 C if he can get healthy. (big if)

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2010, 01:00 AM
If Greg Oden can stay healthy, he can average 15-18 points, 12-15 rebounds and 3 to 4 blocks. I'm hoping Portland convinces Marcus Camby to teach Oden. There's no better teacher on the market than Marcus Camby.

The Jokemaker
06-22-2010, 01:03 AM
No one can deny his talent. It's health. He'll be a great center if he can stay on the court.

neally24
06-22-2010, 01:10 AM
hmmm is PER and efficiency rating the same?, I always thought they were but nba.com graded Oden at 17.71 not 23 ..... in fact nobodies per and efficiency are the same

Dmagic87
06-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Oden obviously has immense talent. His question is about healthy. Centers take time. Bogut was considered a bust, now he is a top C.

Howard, Bogut, Lopez, Bynum. Oden will bring back the position.

ldc62
06-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Oden obviously has immense talent. His question is about healthy. Centers take time. Bogut was considered a bust, now he is a top C.

By who? A guy who avg nearly a double double in his career isn't a bust.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-22-2010, 01:28 AM

Well if your draft #1 overall then you are expected to do great things...and he wasnt doing great things until last year.

97NYer
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM

Oden needs to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. If he does I really think he is a top 5 center right now and potentially could be the best in a few years time.

LivinLakers
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
If Greg Oden can stay healthy, he can average 15-18 points, 12-15 rebounds and 3 to 4 blocks. I'm hoping Portland convinces Marcus Camby to teach Oden. There's no better teacher on the market than Marcus Camby.

A little overstated on the offensive end. He is not a great offensive player so the 15-18 points is a stretch, but I think 12-15 boards and 3 - 4 blocks is realistic if healthy and able to explode off the floor. Portland is the one team that I think can match up well with the Lakers if Oden is healthy, but then again that is the question that no one knows the answer to.

ChiSox219
06-22-2010, 01:38 AM
So I know PER isn't everything, far from it.

However, I was still shocked to discover that last year Oden had the 8th highest (yes, that is real) PER of all players in the NBA at 23.14.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

I know it was only 21 games, but what does this mean, if anything about Greg Oden and what his development will ultimately be.

Thoughts?

With time and health, I think Oden figures things out, avoids foul trouble and puts up some nice numbers. His Per 36 minutes numbers from last year:

60.5 FG%, 16.7 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 3.4 bpg

And it should be noted, the Blazers played at the leagues slowest pace last season, so those numbers are extra impressive. Only Marcus Camby rebounded at a higher rate.

His development will be based on his health... simple as that

Agreed

97NYer
06-22-2010, 01:39 AM

I love it. I feel the same why however I believe he could average more than 18 PPG, he could be a number one option on a team eventually or if Portland is where he is meant to be, he and Roy could have a Kobe/Shaq thing going (Obviously not exactly quite that good, but you get the idea.)

LA_Raiders
06-22-2010, 01:58 AM
that dude is a glass man... like bynum...

thekmp211
06-22-2010, 02:36 AM
if he breaks down this year its over. i hope it works out, because he clearly has the talent.

ChongInc.
06-22-2010, 02:44 AM

+bargnani
just watch.

thekmp211
06-22-2010, 04:17 AM
+bargnani
just watch.

joke?

znick21
06-22-2010, 05:38 AM
A little overstated on the offensive end. He is not a great offensive player so the 15-18 points is a stretch, but I think 12-15 boards and 3 - 4 blocks is realistic if healthy and able to explode off the floor. Portland is the one team that I think can match up well with the Lakers if Oden is healthy, but then again that is the question that no one knows the answer to.

are you serious? he averaged 11.5 ppg in only 23.9 minutes per game. he has a size advantage over almost every other center, rebounds at an incredible rate, which means a lot of easy buckets, and he is a reallly good ft shooter (76% last year i believe). if he averaged 30 mpg like most centers he'd easily be at 15-18 ppg. he just needs to stay healthy and out of foul trouble.

kman11
06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Greg Oden is the second coming of Sam Bowie, simply put, he sucks

Vidball
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
It means PER is a flawed stat that doesn't take things into account such as fouls per minute, minutes played, hustle plays, getting back in transition, etc etc etc

thekmp211
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
It means PER is a flawed stat that doesn't take things into account such as fouls per minute, minutes played, hustle plays, getting back in transition, etc etc etc

no. you just have to use your knowledge of those things along with per to get a complete picture.

he wasn't perfect no one said that but in what was essentially his rookie season oden showed the ability to do some things at a high quality nba level.

teams look for guys who can perform at least 1 or 2 things at an elite level in the nba. oden can
rebound
score inside (simple moves and dunks/putbacks mostly) efficiently
defend
block shots

he is slow, and young, and injury prone, but definitely talented.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
he has had a great PER since he stepped on the floor as a rookie. It means if he would stay healthy, he is a legit defensive monster who scores efficiently when given close looks, and rebounds very well
Its no mystery the only thing from keeping Oden from being a top 5 center is his health

Klivlend
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
The guy is only 22. He still has so much upside. If he can stay healthy he will be a very good play. Not great, but a solid player who rebounds, defends the key and plays hardnosed post defense. Sometimes it looks like he may have more upside on the offensive end the Dwight Howard. Hopefully he will be on the court enough this season to watch his development.