PDA

View Full Version : Could the Nets land Nowitzki now that Avery Johnson is coach?

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
This has me intrigued. Dirk opted out of his final year to get into this monster of a free agency. If he doesn't resign with Dallas, I first thought maybe he would go and reunite with Nash in Phoenix cus I am convinced STAT is not coming back at all, leaving the Suns without a great all around shooter. But with Avery Johnson as the new Nets coach, that can be another scenario. Avery loved coaching Dirk in Dallas, and they have a Finals appearance in '06 together. If the Nets don't get Lebron, this is still a good fallback option. What you guys think?

eibbor
06-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I think if this happened it would be a hell of a lot easier to pick up another FA as well.

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I think if this happened it would be a hell of a lot easier to pick up another FA as well.

Agreed. With Lopez and Harris over there, the #3 pick (which might be Turner), the Nets can quickly bounce back from that horrid 70-loss season last year and catapult at least to a 4-5 seed. This makes sense. Players choices of teams depend on who is in what place. Nash (ex-teammate in PHX, Avery ex-coach in DAL) people have to see those factors play a big part in a decision.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I could see Dirk going 3 places if he doesn't go to the Mavs: Phoenix, New York, New Jersey. In Phx he has the obvious reunion with Nash as well as an offense he can exceed in. New York runs a similar offense and Dirk would light it up in Dantoni's system. And in New Jersey, he has his old coach Avery Johnson who just happens to need a PF. I still think he resigns but he has 3 solid options.

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I could see Dirk going 3 places if he doesn't go to the Mavs: Phoenix, New York, New Jersey. In Phx he has the obvious reunion with Nash as well as an offense he can exceed in. New York runs a similar offense and Dirk would light it up in Dantoni's system. And in New Jersey, he has his old coach Avery Johnson who just happens to need a PF. I still think he resigns but he has 3 solid options.

The way i see it, the balance of power is shifting somewhat. You got the West with guys like Boozer, STAT, Dirk, & maybe even CP3 jumping ship to the East next season. The Eastern conference is gonna try to stack the deck and have a couple more solid teams. I think realistically, only D-Wade will stay in Miami, and every other superstar or Type B guy that's noteworthy will be on some East ball-club. Should be an interesting free agency that's for sure. :clap:

Jack of Blades
06-21-2010, 09:22 PM
He's not going to the Nets lmao. He said he wants to play for a contender, not a perennial loser.

Robbw241
06-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Most Nets fans don't want him but I would rather him over Amare and Bosh.

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
As for your quote Jokemaster, Dirk has nothing to lose regardless where he goes. But he can create more matchup problems in the East year-round. He's a good defender, creates his own jump-shot from anywhere in the perimeter, can attack the low-post, and get the calls. He's definitely a guy that can take over the 4th quarter and be a finisher. Let's see something different. I want the Bulls, Knicks, Heat, & Boston to be the upper echelon again. Like old times. Those rivalries were truly worth watching.:D

Robbw241
06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
He's not going to the Nets lmao. He said he wants to play for a contender, not a perennial loser.

Yeah because going to the conference semis or farther 5 times over the past 9 seasons qualifies as perennial losers :facepalm:

justinnum1
06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Absolutely

NOT

VIP1349
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't see the Nets as contenders this year so I doubt it, I can't even imagine Dirk any where but Dallas.

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM

The bold comment deserves an epic FAIL :facepalm: Did you forget how easy it is to get into the Eastern playoffs? Avery is there, and that carries weight as to Dirk going there. Just cus they had a 70-loss season doesn't mean they can't come back. Boston lost 60 games in 2007 and won the championship the very next year by adding KG and Ray Allen. :rolleyes:The Nets have Harris, Lopez, Jianlian, & Douglas-Roberts as good role-players. They won't be losers, more like at least a 4-5 seed. Don't rule out anything in this free agency. ANYTHING can happen. :nod:

Lakersho
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
This has me intrigued. Dirk opted out of his final year to get into this monster of a free agency. If he doesn't resign with Dallas, I first thought maybe he would go and reunite with Nash in Phoenix cus I am convinced STAT is not coming back at all, leaving the Suns without a great all around shooter. But with Avery Johnson as the new Nets coach, that can be another scenario. Avery loved coaching Dirk in Dallas, and they have a Finals appearance in '06 together. If the Nets don't get Lebron, this is still a good fallback option. What you guys think?

cant see it happening, dirk will stay with dallas...

Kidd>>>K-Mart
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Your just jealous of the Kidd and Harris trade.

defender4m
06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Your just jealous of the Kidd and Harris trade.

i was thinking the same thing

The Final Boss
06-21-2010, 10:45 PM
If Dirk wants a ring he should take the minimum from The Champs.

blastmasta26
06-21-2010, 11:01 PM
If Dirk wants a ring he should take the minimum from The Champs.
AI, T-Mac, Dirk, Shaq...Lakers are gonna build a vet min All-Star team lol

LTBaByyy
06-21-2010, 11:04 PM
First Paul, now Dirk? Nets fans crack me up hahaha it would be funny as idk what if they only got like rudy gay or only david lee out of this whole fantasy they post every day

iFYouSeekAmy
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
This is similar as

"Warriors should S&T for Dirk Nowitzki because Dirk would go to a team who has a coach that introduced him..blahblah etc"

I mean cmon, you can fantasize, but in reality, don't expect that to happen.