PDA

View Full Version : Is Portland The Only Team In The West Who Can De-Throne LA?

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I think next season will be the year Portland rises up and knocks off LA in the WCF. There is so much talent on this Blazers team, they are well coached, and have good chemistry. Brandon Roy can lead the Blazers to the promise land in the West.

Portland beat LA twice this past season, and I think a healthy trio of Aldridge/Oden/Camby in the front court will be enough to limit Gasol/Bynum.

Red Hot Rolllin
06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I hope you are right... Wear your knee pads Greg!

JNA17
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
they do have a lot of talent but the only way i see the blazers winning over the lakers is if bynum does not play in the series and the blazers get HCA. I don't really see both things happening next season

Vidball
The team that has the best chance is OKC if they add the right peices in the offseason. Realistically, Lakers shouldn't have much more trouble next year than they had last year. Kobe and Bynum were playing with injuries and the Lakers still ended up with a record of 12-4 against the West in the playoffs.

Lou Holtz Lisp
Is this the same Portland team that didn't make the playoffs?

Kashmir13579
06-21-2010, 03:07 PM
nah......... not even.

krest213
06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
then they would Have to beat the legendary SPURS.
Next Season is our Year. i say it first when i say
we bringing back the trophy to its rightful owner.

Hellcrooner
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
No i expect the nuggets to put back a fight and the spurs havina last glory ride.

wouldnt rule out houston if yao is healty and they somehow snag bosh

IU Hoosiers 3
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
really depends on what the teams in the west do with FA.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 03:19 PM

When was this? Back in 04'?

sep11ie
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Houston could, if they stay healthy.

magichatnumber9
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Brandon Roy might never be able to play a whole season uninjured. God didn't bless him with a NBA body.

still1ballin
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
No.

SA5195
06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Brandon Roy can lead the Blazers to the promise land in the West.

He never went out of the first round. And he isn't always healthy.

But if everyone can stay healthy (which I highly doubt), maybe they can reach the 2nd round.

JNA17
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
He never went out of the first round. And he isn't always healthy.

T-Mac 2.0?

iggypop123
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
i think it is portland, but truly the only thing that can challenge the lakers are injuries. even with injuries its been 3 straight nba finals the lakers go in never at full strength.

Mudvayne91
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Camby and Oden over/under 100 games combined. If we were betting history, clearly its under.

mikantsass
06-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I think next season will be the year Portland rises up and knocks off LA in the WCF. There is so much talent on this Blazers team, they are well coached, and have good chemistry. Brandon Roy can lead the Blazers to the promise land in the West.

Portland beat LA twice this past season, and I think a healthy trio of Aldridge/Oden/Camby in the front court will be enough to limit Gasol/Bynum.

Im sorry did you say something.... Im too busy looking at that ***!

Bucsfan
06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
any of the top teams could if they get hot at the right time...nuggets...jazz..mavs....and maybe the blazers..and the thunder

Raoul Duke
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't see it. I'm starting to think that Aldridge has pretty much peaked out. Not that theres anything wrong with him, but I just don't see Roy/Aldridge/Camby as being that formidable a trio. And this is coming from someone who would love to see Portland in the finals.

ldc62
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
How bout the Blazers make it past the 1st round first....

IDB Josh M
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
OKC is the biggest threat, and Portland needs make it to the Semi's or WCF before they can threaten Los Angeles.

ldc62
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Camby and Oden over/under 100 games combined. If we were betting history, clearly its under.

Change it to 80 and its still under.

Rivera
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Im sorry did you say something.... Im too busy looking at that ***!

mommies !!!!!

valade16
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
OKC is the biggest threat, and Portland needs make it to the Semi's or WCF before they can threaten Los Angeles.

How can Portland need to make it to the Semi's or WCF before they can threaten LA yet OKC is the biggest threat despite never having gone to the Semi's or WCF?? :eyebrow:

The Thunder have never got past the 1st round of the playoffs either, so I don't know how they'd be so much better against the Lakers than the Blazers, especially because the Blazers actually have big men...

That being said, I think the Blazers are still a couple of years away from competing with LA for the title.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Mavs, Suns, Blazers, Nuggets are the top candidates for knocking off the Lakers next year. Dark Horse: Grizzlies.

Tony_Starks
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Yeah I agree. OKC was a Gasol last minute tip in away from going to game 7. They're a real matchup problem and if they sign David Lee like they should then its gonna serious.

But after them yeah I guess it would be Portland. Unless Utah, Denver and the Spurs make some big time changes. Lakers have owned those teams the past 3 years.

ShockerArt
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
OKC is the biggest threat. Durant is the best player in the West after Kobe Bryant. He and Westbrook will be great for a long time. They still need help down low. But, they are closer than Portland is to making a deep run.

PHX2daDEATH
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
If OKC can get some big guys.. the same can be said about the Suns, just because Amare leaves doesn't mean the Suns cant go out and sign two players or make a few deals to get some size.. Suns can score without Amare, i think they proved that against the lakers.. Who knows what Denver team is going to show up next year.. If Dallas snags Lebron and pairs him with Dirk then I will say Dallas will win the whole thing,..thats the only way they go to the finals..

As for Portland..? No way Oden is going to have to prove to me and everyone else that he can make it to the playoffs without being injured and if he doesnt do it this upcoming season, I dont think he ever will

Somebody said San Antonio..? Good luck getting rid of Richard Jefferson's contract.. I think you guys are stuck with the same team unless you get rid of Parker

Houston? See Oden and Portland.. Yao hasn't played in what almost two years? Definately wont be the same player but if he his healthy in a playoff series against L.A. I like Houston's chances

_KB24_
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Denver, Mavs, and Houston will have the best shot. We shouldn't put too many high expectations on these young teams, they have to prove themselves first in the playoffs.

HouRealCoach
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
We have to wait to see how the Clippers and Thunder will look after this offseason

NBA-GMaster
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Nope.. there's San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Utah and Oklahoma City ..

albertc86
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Portland has been disappointing thus far. They've had a lot of hype these past few years but I'm still not sold on them. I like Brandon Roy and their team but they can't make any noise. I think OKC has a better chance of giving the Lakers a more difficult time; it was already seen this year.

JordansBulls
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I think Portland or Oklahoma are the teams. A Young team with a star player can do it.

ChiSox219
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Yes, they are the most prepared team, as of right now, to take down the Lakers in the West.

If they hadn't been decimated by injuries, the Blazers would've easily been the 2 seed-- or higher.

nuggetsyankees
06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
let's wait till this crazy offseason is over...Portland, Really??

Lakersho
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
dont see that happenin... houston iiiffff health could be good...

valade16
06-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Portland has been disappointing thus far. They've had a lot of hype these past few years but I'm still not sold on them. I like Brandon Roy and their team but they can't make any noise. I think OKC has a better chance of giving the Lakers a more difficult time; it was already seen this year.

Yeah, having like 490 games lost due to injury last year is really disappointing :rolleyes:

Seriously, does anyone FOLLOW basketball or do they just check the standings and assume there's no other external factors involved?

Oklahoma has done EVEN LESS than the Blazers thus far, so how are they so much higher on your list of established teams?

What was seen this year, that the Thunder finished 3-7 against the Lakers, or that the Blazers finished 2-1 against the Lakers?

Or how about the Blazers finished 3-1 against the Thunder last year?

What are you going off when you say the Thunder are above the Blazers?
What??:confused:

LTBaByyy
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Portland???? hahahaha out of all the good teams in the west!!! OKC w/ a potential D Lee, Utah with a lottery pick to get a post, Dallas if they wind up getting joe johnson in a sign and trade (they were the 2nd seed dont trip lol), Nuggets are gona have a anger passion next year bc the dissapointment, Spurs always good no matter how old, THENNNNN portland

LTBaByyy
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Plus houston!!! if yao is his old self again, he was the number 1 center in the league for a good 4 years .... he would destroy bynum if he was healthy

Mudvayne91
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Yeah.... I don't know about this. They basically have an outside shot to win the Northwest right now in my opinion. Too many injuryproned players and too much talent with the other teams. Who knows what could happen July though.

69centers
06-21-2010, 11:59 PM
If Yao leaves Houston and goes to some other playoff team in the West, that team could certainly challenge LA. He doesn't have the right pieces in Houston for them to be a threat. As others have said, when Yao is healthy, he'll eat Bynum and Gasol alive down low.

King Kong
06-22-2010, 12:21 AM
There is no doubt about it & Kobe knows it... The Blazers have the perfect match ups against LA. The only thing that could save the Lakers is dirty play and the referees... Just like the Finals this year LOL...

valade16
06-22-2010, 12:22 AM
If Yao leaves Houston and goes to some other playoff team in the West, that team could certainly challenge LA. He doesn't have the right pieces in Houston for them to be a threat. As others have said, when Yao is healthy, he'll eat Bynum and Gasol alive down low.

It's wierd, Yao has been injured so long he's almost been forgotten about. I wonder if the Knicks shouldn't try to sign say James and some less than Max players like Yao. LeBron and Yao would be a nightmare, especially if they could somehow keep David Lee

Kakaroach
06-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I like their chances for sure. But if the Jazz could get a 7 footer I like their chances too. Also, who knows what might happen in free agency. Then there is always Denver and Dallas and San Antonio. Realistically they all have chances but to see its very hard is an understatement.

oregonbronco
06-22-2010, 12:59 AM
The Blazers when healthy are the second best team in the west. Add CP3 and watch out LA

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
I Portland can get a defensive small forward like Tayshaun Prince, Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion or Shane Battier and Oden can stay healthy, then it can dethrone Los Angeles.

BenFrank
06-22-2010, 01:17 AM

This statement caught my eye. How would he not have the piece's.. Houston was a above 500 team in the WC, and Yao didn't play a single game.. guys like Brooks, (MIP) Martin, Scola.. and Ariza arn't key piece's??? if Yao is healty Houston would be a vary touch match for L.A.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 02:33 AM
There is no doubt about it & Kobe knows it... The Blazers have the perfect match ups against LA. The only thing that could save the Lakers is dirty play and the referees... Just like the Finals this year LOL...

:facepalm:

Perfect match ups?!?!
fisher < miller
kobe> roy
artest > batum
pau > aldridge
bynum> camby

4-1 man

LTBaByyy
06-22-2010, 02:35 AM
The ones that are saying yes are blazers fan haha

PrettyBoyJ
06-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Thats if they can get to the Lakers.. there are a lot of teams that will exploit the Blazers with mismtches.. and even then Lakers are proven Champs 2 years running if anything they kno how to do is make adjustments.. and finally who will guard KOBE??

JJ_JKidd
06-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Kids nowadays... I mean come on! Oden is a BUST for CHRISAKE!

dodie53
06-22-2010, 03:08 AM
portland? no.

heatbb
06-22-2010, 03:11 AM
No, Kwame Brown is a bust, Darko Milicic is a bust, Oden not yet. When he's healthy he's been very solid.
Anyway, Portland no, OKC with some additions yes.

plpfctn
06-22-2010, 03:16 AM
portland needs to try to get out of the first round before they can even think about beating the back-to-back champions.

Iron24th
06-22-2010, 03:16 AM
They're the most talented team out there in the west for sure,but only fully healthy,and I don't see it happening.

OKC if they do the right move have a better shot.

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 03:30 AM
not only portland or okc or some other team...any team can beat LA, if LA does not have HCA.....

matt800
06-22-2010, 03:32 AM
If Oden is healthy, and is able to play 30+ mpg then yes. Portland allowed the least points of anyone in the league, and had the most rebounding before everyone got injured last year. That was before they picked up Camby too.

Roy is one of the most clutch players in the league. Aside from Kobe I'm not sure I've seen anyone else as good at winning from behind in a close game. 08-09 Portland had a nasty problem of being lazy in the 1st half and coming from behind to win. I think they made some ridiculous stat out of it. They managed to actually win almost every time and a lot of them were buzzer beaters.

They have a lot of depth and trade pieces to get another good player, not to mention a rich owner.

OKC has bigger financial problems after paying all the fees for buying the team. I don't see their organization being as stable. They will be good but I don't think they will be able to get a good front court, and still keep all their young stars.

JordansBulls
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
IF Portland can get Mo Williams, then I like there chances.

plpfctn
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
i remember gasol and odom killing camby when he was with the nuggets in the first round of the playoffs. and that was 3 years ago.

koreancabbage
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
keep dreaming.

Lakers still win in a 7 game series.

Justice 84
06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
In the West, no team right now stands a chance at beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. In fact, you can say that about the East as well. Boston was the only team that matched up perfectly with the Lakers. They were/are one of the best defensive teams to ever play in the league and had the talent as well as the size and physical presence to beat them. They pushed them to the brink but couldnt get it done. It all depends on what happens during this offseason. Its gonna take a super team to dethrone this Laker squad. They have too many weapons, they are the best defensive team in the league and on top of that they have one of the best players to ever play basketball to close out games.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
how about NO!? the lakers werent fully healthy last year with every one of our stars except fisher having played injured at some point..lakers will 3peat...

tangent12
06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Portland is a sleeping giant in the West, i'll tell you that much.

Bishnoff
06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
No, other teams may have just as much chance. Let's see what the off-season brings shall we?

BradyIsTheMan12
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
We need things to go our way for once then maybe we have a chance. To accomplish what we did last season with the circumstances was incredible, but it's tough to just say we can take down the champs if we are healthy. I'm just hoping to see the Blazers on the court next year...

junion
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
i think the Lakers are the team to beat.. but MANY West teams are coming up this next season: OKC, Portland, Denver, Mavs (maybe). The WEST is ridiculous, and the Lakers will be given some trouble, but I think any of the top 4 teams can beat LA in the playoffs, will they - it's less likely, but they will give them trouble.

effen5
06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I think the Thunders has the best chance to be honest, Portland's regressed in the past two years imo.

cav_till_i_die
06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Dont the Thunder have a better shot? I would put my money there before any other team.

HandslikeCarter
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
okc takes another huge step

Reyes6
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Portland? I pick OKC and Houston over them. Houston and OKC give them fits and Portland... well we'll just have to see them play LA in a playoff series.

justinnum1
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Had kenyon martin been 100% and george karl was coaching I think denver would have given LA fits this year.

runforrestrunx9
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM
If OKC gets sum bigs in the offseason than they have the best chance, but who knows, some random team may pull a celtics and trade away their entire frachise for 2 players and have a dom squad for 3 years

HandslikeCarter
06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Has far as Talent Denver should be in the discussion but what happen to them against that bad Jazz team

Raidaz4Life
06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I honestly think anyone could

Gators123
06-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Another vote for OKC

Angel2Maverick
06-22-2010, 11:53 PM
The Blazers when healthy are the second best team in the west. Add CP3 and watch out LA

#4 seems to be thier ceiling

Avenged
06-23-2010, 12:20 AM
If healthy, Portland could possibly be the Lakers biggest threat. They always seem to give the Lakers a hard time anyways. But again that's a "big if" since they can never seem to be healthy.

BradyIsTheMan12
06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm lovin the OKC bandwagon, it's gonna crash hard..

BoltLakerPadre
06-23-2010, 01:01 AM

No, but it is the same Portland team that hasn't gotten out of the first round since the "jail blazers" era.

New rule, you have to at least win a playoff series before you can talk about the title.

0nekhmer
06-23-2010, 01:03 AM
the heck, the blazers didn't even make the playoffs

tredigs
06-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm lovin the OKC bandwagon, it's gonna crash hard..

True. Because teams exploding with young superstars who are about to enter their prime generally crash and burn in a ball of fire.

Like others have said, the Thunder are a big away from being contenders. Ibaka's still very raw, so his development throughout this past season and into next season automatically makes them better at that slot, but they still are in need of a solid post-scorer down there to get them some easy buckets and relinquish a little stress off of KD and now Westbrook's scoring load.

With the quality that their front office is run and the disgusting amount of talent they have, I see them as contenders (starting next season; assuming they get an even marginal improvement at big) for the foreseeable future.

As for the Blazers, they need to stay healthy (specifically Oden), period. Once/if that happens then yeah, they'll be as dangerous as any team in the league.

sunnydayin'zona
06-23-2010, 02:00 AM

definitely not, they just had a first round exit, but i'll admit as a suns fan, it was because brandon roy was injured

robdog_5
06-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Blazers, OKC, are the only young teams I can see right now, maybe Houston if they add some pieces

xbrackattackx
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I think the best up and coming teams are ...OKC,Portland,Bucks,Clippers and Houston. All have loads of Potential.

ElFuturoDeESPN
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
the heck, the blazers didn't even make the playoffs

loluhhhhwut?

Is this guy serious?

Love the Blazers, I really do, but they need to prove they can stay healthy for 82 games before we start discussing this. But if they do? Without a doubt. Taking two of three from the Lakeshow including a win AT the Staples Center? Portland has quite a bright future.