PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Multiple teams want to trade for Chris Paul?

YankeeFan28
06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
As usual, Thorn offered no guarantees that he won't trade one of the team's top two players. There have been rumors that the Nets might pursue point guard Chris Paul through a trade. Since they don't seem to be all that high on any of the players they are likely to get with the No. 3 pick, such as Georgia Tech's Derrick Favors, Kentucky's DeMarcus Cousins or Syracuse's Wes Johnson, they could trade the pick to get an established player.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/06/20/2010-06-20_harris__nets_back_on_point.html#ixzz0rV1ZV6K7

ldc62
06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
every team tries to get great players... doesn't mean they will.

dwadefan03
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
that's a terrible idea. they have a good thing going now and theres no need to go and screw it up. Devin harris is a good point guard, maybe not the best but there are teams out there that would kill for his services (i.e the heat), they have twill/cdr/and courtney lee to play the 2/3 they have the 3rd pick which will most lively be favors who imo is going to be pretty good and then they have a legit 18 9 bigman in lopez PLUS cap space. there really is no reason to pursue chis paul

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Hornets would be dumb to do that trade.

Hornets dont need a PF or C. They just need CP3 to get healthy, and get a legit wing scoring option at the 2 or 3.

miller74
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Hornets dont need a PF or C. They just need CP3 to get healthy, and get a legit wing scoring option at the 2 or 3.

What if they went on with Collison, Wesley Johnson +, and cap space?

superabound
06-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I would trade the #3 pick in a second for Paul. They could have any other player on that roster except Lopez. Dude, it is Chris Paul! Don't forget how good he is just because he was hurt last year. Devin Harris is no Chris Paul, not even close.

DenButsu
06-21-2010, 11:07 AM

I was going to use the phrase "****ing insane" rather than "dumb", but other than that, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I would trade the #3 pick in a second for Paul. They could have any other player on that roster except Lopez. Dude, it is Chris Paul! Don't forget how good he is just because he was hurt last year.

Of course you would, anyone in their right mind would. Doesn't mean NO would do it.

mavwar53
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
What if they went on with Collison, Wesley Johnson +, and cap space?

I think that would be great for the hornets, maybe get terrence williams in the deal along with the pick.

NYY NYJ NYK
wow that would be great for the Nets

Mishmin
come on. let's be real. This is simply not going to happen. Collison had a nice season but- come on. paul's the second coming.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not surprised. Given how the new owner has said he wants to make a winner in the next couple years, it's not surprising to see thier name come up in a big move. If they do make a trade for Paul, and it is before the dominos game of free agency, it could shake up some free agent landings. Chris Paul in a Nets uniform certainly makes that team more attractive to potential FAs.

defender4m
06-21-2010, 11:12 AM
id like for the nets to get favors in the draft but cant complain if this gets done, because it helps to lure other players here as well as bringing the best pg in the league

DenButsu
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
come on. let's be real. This is simply not going to happen. Collison had a nice season but- come on. paul's the second coming.

Yeah, I think it's way too easy to take the last two seasons and badly undervalue how great a player he is. The bottom line is that it's much harder to build around a point guard than a big man. But that doesn't mean point guards can't be franchise players. It's harder to take it the distance with that model, but that's not reason enough to cut off your nose to spite your face.

awmathewsjr
06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Avery Johnson might wanna step in and say something. The last time his organization got rid of D.Harris for an all-star things didn't work out too good for his coaching career.

bbblack40
06-21-2010, 11:18 AM
that's a terrible idea. they have a good thing going now and theres no need to go and screw it up. Devin harris is a good point guard, maybe not the best but there are teams out there that would kill for his services (i.e the heat), they have twill/cdr/and courtney lee to play the 2/3 they have the 3rd pick which will most lively be favors who imo is going to be pretty good and then they have a legit 18 9 bigman in lopez PLUS cap space. there really is no reason to pursue chis paul

besides the fact that chris paul is a top 3 point guard. this trade would be good for both teams. hornets shed cap(which is what they are all about) get the number 3 pick in the draft and start their rebuilding process. Nets get chris paul and can still sign a pf free agent like boozer,amare,lee, or bosh and turn into win now mode(which is what they r about).

hornets
pg-harris
sg- Wesley johnson
sf- peja
pf-west
C-okafor

Nets
pg-paul
sg- twill
sf- lee
pf-boozer
C-lopez

works for both sides

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Wonder if Vinny will be a Nets fan if that happens?

kntresistheheat
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
You guys do realize that the N.O need's the cap space. They are in big trouble, but I think they would move other peices before CP.

mikantsass
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Makes Jersey a hell of a lot more attractive for Free agents...

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
They will not trade Paul, He's way to important to their revenue.

Patrick Swayze
06-21-2010, 11:32 AM
There is no one that Hornets will want from the Nets

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
There is no one that Hornets will want from the Nets

The hornet would def demand #3,Harris,Lopez,CDR and the best weapon YI.

bahama0811
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
If the Hornets trade anyone it would be Collison. They'd have to be completely blown away to trade CP3.

kozelkid
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I think it's fairly obvious by now that Hornets are a cheap franchise, so looks like they are going to trade Paul for best package available. Makes this free agency even more interesting, if Paul is going to be traded then we should expect a full out bidding war. Nets, are a team that have the pieces to land Paul, but it will probably take more than the #3 pick like either Lopez or Devin as well. Getting Paul would definitely make this team more attractive to more of the free agents. The guy is a top 5 player.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
The #3 pick is definitely a start but I don't see any way they part with Lopez. And with Harris the Hornets already have the PG of the future with Collison.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
You guys do realize that the N.O need's the cap space. They are in big trouble, but I think they would move other peices before CP.

You think trading CP3 makes things better? If they trade CP3 their franchise is done.

Im not just saying that to say it. If they dump CP3 of all people due to the owner being cheap, they might as well pack up their bags and move to Kansas City.

king4day
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Harris and the pick would just be a starting point ina trade for Paul. Still not nearly enough.

JordansBulls
06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/06/20/2010-06-20_harris__nets_back_on_point.html#ixzz0rV1ZV6K7

Did Peter Vecsey write this?

defender4m
06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
3rd pick, harris, lee will get it done if the hornets actually wanna give up cp3

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
3rd pick, harris, lee will get it done if the hornets actually wanna give up cp3

No it wouldn't.

Nets dont have anything to give up to acquire CP3. We're talking about a Top 5 player in the NBA.

#3, Harris, & Lee wouldn't get it done.

Raidaz4Life
06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Interesting, although they'd have to offer quite a bit to get NO to bite.

amoore87
06-21-2010, 12:19 PM
not happening, but not surprising when they wanted to get john wall @ pg

CaptainStu5
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
The only deal I could imagine the Hornets doing is Paul + Okafor for #3 pick, which eats up the Nets cap space, or Paul for #3 and Lopez, which would be crippling for the Nets.
Either way I doubt the Hornets want Harris, they already have their pg for the future in Collison and would want him to start if they traded away CP3.

Wade_County
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
not happening

Kashmir13579
06-21-2010, 12:28 PM

wes johnson is a legit scoring option at the 3. but, maybe give up collison for lottery pick, not cp3.

Jays Claw
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Professional basketball would die in New Orleans if Chris Paul were to be traded.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 12:30 PM
wes johnson is a legit scoring option at the 3. but, maybe give up collison for lottery pick, not cp3.

Wes Johnson fits perfectly with CP3. They've built the entire team around him in New Orleans, why would they trade him?

Nets fans are nuts if they think Harris, #3, and Lee will get the deal done. It doesn't make any sense from NO's standpoint to trade CP3. When he leaves, their franchise will lose a lot of revenue that will never come back.

You guys have got me all upset this afternoon.

ldc62
06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Avery Johnson might wanna step in and say something. The last time his organization got rid of D.Harris for an all-star things didn't work out too good for his coaching career.

??? Please never compare an old JKidd to CP3

colinskik
06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
One of the only reasons NO would be willing to trade CP3 other than financial flexibility is because they have Collison waiting in the wings. Why would they then trade CP3 for Harris? Makes absolutely no sense. Sorry Net fan(s).

jonizzel24
06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
i think i heard some rumors abotu cp3 being traded to the knicks early this year for cap releif. jus wondering if anyone has heard anything else about that

Sadds The Gr8
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if NJ offered

Harris, T-Will OR #3 pick, and a throw in (like Hayes or Dooling)
for
Paul + Peja OR Okafor.

I dont see them trading CP3 but if they do NJ would HAVE to take one of the big contracts NO has. Either Peja, Okafor, or West.

colinskik
06-21-2010, 12:45 PM
i think i heard some rumors abotu cp3 being traded to the knicks early this year for cap releif. jus wondering if anyone has heard anything else about that
Yeah, there was talk of that but I'm fairly certain it was the NY reporters stirring up rumors rather than a something plausible.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if NJ offered

Harris, T-Will OR #3 pick, and a throw in (like Hayes or Dooling)
for
Paul + Peja OR Okafor.

I dont see them trading CP3 but if they do NJ would HAVE to take one of the big contracts NO has. Either Peja, Okafor, or West.

You're friend GreenKronik has a Wal Mart connection for XBoxLive

Sadds The Gr8
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
:laugh2:

JerseysFinest
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
objectively speaking (not minding my username) i think this really is a smart move. I think N.O. should start rebuilding the team, start a team that will contend in the West now that every team in the West is much much stronger than before. By trading Paul, they are ushering a new era of basketball, starting with Darren Collison and Devin Harris leading in the backcourt, and possibly David West and DeMarcus Cousins in the backcourt (or Favors). In free agency, nab a wing player to complement the team, and keep making trades to save cap.

JerseysFinest
06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
The Nets do this move because they aren't exactly thrilled with either Cousins or Favors, Devin Harris and Avery Johnson have a very rocky past, and they have the ability to increase their chances of signing talented players from free agency. It works in both respects

DenButsu
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

They will not trade Paul, He's way to important to their revenue.

These are both very solid points, but I think the second trumps the first. CP3 is a huge draw, and without him as their face man to sell tix/jerseys/promos/etc. the Hornets aren't pulling anything back in.

But more importantly, you just don't dump a top tier player unless you're the Grizzlies or the Wolves who for some stupid unknown reason want to shower unnecessarily generous gifts upon those who have already enjoyed more than their share of riches.

xabial
06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
If this trade goes through it would be the Ray Allen Trade all over again.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I just don't understand how people think Lopez won't be involved in this. If they trade a top 5 nba player you can guarantee they will get pieces to build.

Harris
Twill
Lee

for

Okafor
Paul

I don't think that will be enough. I think Lopez has to be included for NO to bite.

Sixerlover
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
If New Orleans did this, they'd fall back into oblivion for a long time.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
These are both very solid points, but I think the second trumps the first. CP3 is a huge draw, and without him as their face man to sell tix/jerseys/promos/etc. the Hornets aren't pulling anything back in.

But more importantly, you just don't dump a top tier player unless you're the Grizzlies or the Wolves who for some stupid unknown reason want to shower unnecessarily generous gifts upon those who have already enjoyed more than their share of riches.

Yea and people thinking they are gonna trade Harris,#3,Lee and T-will

and it is gonna net them a Paul, without them giving up Lopez.

If I'm the Nets I give up Lopez for Paul.

And If I'm the NO Hornets I want Lopez to build with.

colinskik
06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I just don't understand how people think Lopez won't be involved in this. If they trade a top 5 nba player you can guarantee they will get pieces to build.

Harris
Twill
Lee

for

Okafor
Paul

I don't think that will be enough. I think Lopez has to be included for NO to bite.
I agree ... people acting like Lopez is the best player in the league, meanwhile CP3 is actually one of the best players in the league. PLus, NO would most likely prefer a big man rather than another PG when they have COllison.

Sadds The Gr8
06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Yea and people thinking they are gonna trade Harris,#3,Lee and T-will

and it is gonna net them a Paul, without them giving up Lopez.

If I'm the Nets I give up Lopez for Paul.

well okafor would have to be included because NO wants to get rid of his contract, and then NJ would have to add Harris because they won't need him if they get CP3.

So that deal will likely end up being Paul + OKafor for Harris + Lopez.

Southsideheat
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I question Paul's durability. Everyone forgets he's small and takes a pounding.

If i were the Hornets, i'd take the #3, Devin Harris, and next year's number one for Chris Paul.

Rex-Raptorz
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

If i were the Hornets, i'd take the #3, Devin Harris, and next year's number one for Chris Paul.

Exactly

DeyAce
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
No way Paul gets traded

97NYer
06-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Lopez/Williams/# 3 for CP3/Emeka(Slaray Dump) would be very enticing.

Nets:
Chris Paul
Courtney Lee
?
Yi
Okafor

And still enough for a max.

NOH:

Collison
Thornton
Williams
West
Lopez

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
well okafor would have to be included because NO wants to get rid of his contract, and then NJ would have to add Harris because they won't need him if they get CP3.

So that deal will likely end up being Paul + OKafor for Harris + Lopez.

To me you add Lee and that's a fair trade.

But I also don't pull for either team so it's all good. I just like Paul/Lopez.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree ... people acting like Lopez is the best player in the league, meanwhile CP3 is actually one of the best players in the league. PLus, NO would most likely prefer a big man rather than another PG when they have COllison.
x2

Kakaroach
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the Hornets will never trade Chris Paul until the 2012 dead-line comes along and they think he is going to leave no matter what. But this off-season? No, he won't be traded.

awmathewsjr
06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
??? Please never compare an old JKidd to CP3

Uhh Im not. I was comparing Avery Johnson Coach of the Year season with D.Harris at the helm v. The year he got fired with D.Harris traded away.

NYK_kidd77
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
NO can shed cap without giving up cp3.

MacFitz92
06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
People don't realize trading away CP3 could actually work out for NO. Would they immediately be a good team? Probably not, but with the team they got now, they ain't doin' jack.

Trade CP3 + Okafor for #3 pick, Lopez, Harris + CDR.

They draft Turner or Johnson then they have a lineup of:

PG: Collison - Harris
SG: Turner/Johnson - Thornton
SF: CDR - Peja - Posey
PF: West - Songaila
C: Lopez - Gray

Solid young team, reminds me of OKC. Let Harris play some 2-guard, mix and match the young guards to see what works the best, but that is a good core for a while.

jdmd3
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Then you'd have to question Harris' durability as well since he averaged slighty lower amount of games per season compared to Paul.

CP3 had one injury plagued season. Hornets aren't going to trade a top 5 player for a point guard that's not even a top 5 point guard, a #3 pick for this draft class, & 1st rd pick that's probably not going be a top 5 pick. Trading him for Harris doesn't make sense either since Harris plays the same postion as Collison does. If Paul is gone, Collison is the Hornets next point guard.

S-Dot
06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Man if this were true, the East would be too strong with point guards...CP3, jennings, Rondo, Rose...potentially Wall to name a few.

http://letstalknba.blogspot.com/

Tyreke20-5-5
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
every team tries to get great players... doesn't mean they will.

my thoughts exactly

abe_froman
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
they can pursue all they want,they wont get him though

poleandreel
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
devin harris + 3rd pick + yi for cp3!!!!

kozelkid
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
What about Indiana? (all speculation from me btw)
Regardless though, I think Granger along with some fillers would be a probably one of the best offers out their for Paul, and people need to realize that teams never get fair value for a superstar if they want to trade him. Granger would be great for NO. For one, they get to keep Darren Collison and they need a quality wing player. Aside from that, he's also in a major bargain contract so that would make NO happy as well.
As for Indiana, well... they get a top 5 player and for a team that's losing revenue like no other, it would definitely boost ticket sales.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
That would be cool for the Nets. Then Sign Bron.

C-Lopez
PF-(Trade either Cortney Lee, CDR or T-Will for a decent PF)
SF-Bron
SG-Lee/CDR/T-Will
PG-Paul

Nighthawk
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM

First of all Mr. you should not be allowed to post on PSD with that sig. Good gracious. Every post i dont give a rats what you say i find myself drooling at that wonderful gif. She got a name? She famous? Random net *****?

Anywho. NJ gets Chris Paul and their instant winners. Any free agent would gladly go there.

The only thing N.O should want from New Jersey is Lopez. He is a monster and will be great for a decade. But NJ wont deal him. And why would they want Harris in return for Paul when they would be trading Paul to give his minutes to the cheaper Darren Collison.

Not happening

AI4MVP
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Devin Harris and pick number 3 for CP3, then sign Amare.

Chris Paul, Amar'e Stoudemire, Brook Lopez, Terrance Williams, Lee

damn

boriquaabe
06-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I'd feel bad for cp3 if he has to play for that little tyrant.... I'm sure Harris would like to found a way out from being under the thumb of the little napolean.

jim51990
06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
if i was NO i would say if you want paul you have to take okafor and give up brooke and the 3rd pick the hornets would have a sick lineup collison, westley johnson, west, brooke

m26555
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
It's a terrible idea to trade for a franchise point guard?

netsgiantsyanks
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
People don't realize trading away CP3 could actually work out for NO. Would they immediately be a good team? Probably not, but with the team they got now, they ain't doin' jack.

Trade CP3 + Okafor for #3 pick, Lopez, Harris + CDR.

They draft Turner or Johnson then they have a lineup of:

PG: Collison - Harris
SG: Turner/Johnson - Thornton
SF: CDR - Peja - Posey
PF: West - Songaila
C: Lopez - Gray

Solid young team, reminds me of OKC. Let Harris play some 2-guard, mix and match the young guards to see what works the best, but that is a good core for a while.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:facepalm:

netsgiantsyanks
06-21-2010, 05:54 PM
First of all Mr. you should not be allowed to post on PSD with that sig. Good gracious. Every post i dont give a rats what you say i find myself drooling at that wonderful gif. She got a name? She famous? Random net *****?

Anywho. NJ gets Chris Paul and their instant winners. Any free agent would gladly go there.

The only thing N.O should want from New Jersey is Lopez. He is a monster and will be great for a decade. But NJ wont deal him. And why would they want Harris in return for Paul when they would be trading Paul to give his minutes to the cheaper Darren Collison.

Not happening

lol happened to me too

Chill_Will_24
06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Cmon now. Everyone is overrating CP3 in these talks. Seriously!? The 3rd + Lopez!? Im a Nets fan and i would cry if we did something like this. Derrick Favors is being compared to Dwight and Amare. Cousins is an absolute animal and theres still the chance that Turner falls. CP3 is a top 2 PG but we dont know how he will come back from a knee injury considering hes a player who relys heavily on speed. Lopez is barely scratching the surface on his potential at 22y old.

Vinny642
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Haha

thenetslegend
06-21-2010, 06:59 PM
#3 pick, number 31st pick, courtney lee, and number 27 is what i would offer. then nets could buy a couple picks. lebron would want to come here with paul and jay-z for sure.

saintdrew
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
this is so dumb....the Hornets are NOT trading CP3. this is just another example of fans/beat writers trying to stir up stuff that will not occur.

Robbw241
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
We aren't trading Lopez for CP3 thats for sure. We will offer some sort of combination of Twill, Harris, 3, CDR, Yi. If they say no then we just move on.

THE MTL
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
#3 pick, Harris, Terrence Williams, & Courtney Lee for CP3.

THE MTL
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
The guy wants to make the NEts competitive fast! So I def see them trading the 3rd pick and it will be Boston 2.0....only this time with younger players

thedfactor
06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Would this be like the Nets offering the #3 pick and either Harris or Lopez for Paul? I don't know...

Sox Appeal
06-21-2010, 08:00 PM
The Hornets are shopping CP3, because they have Collison. I don't see why so many people are including Harris, in their offer to the Hornets. He has literally no trade value to them, whatsoever.

NYMetros
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
The only way the Hornets should give up CP3 is if Lopez is involved. Anything other than Lopez as the centerpiece of the deal and the Hornets should hang up the phone on them.

akagiredsuns
06-21-2010, 08:04 PM

x2

Pierzynski4Prez
06-21-2010, 08:05 PM
should re-title the thread to be "Nets want Chris Paul"

Pierzynski4Prez
06-21-2010, 08:06 PM
this is so dumb....the Hornets are NOT trading CP3. this is just another example of fans/beat writers trying to stir up stuff that will not occur.

x10000000

wmudford
06-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Not likely, but if nets are able to keep lopez AND get paul... they will lead the pack in the chase for lebron. He would have to come.

But like i said, likely not happening

SaimoNETS
06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Everyone STFU. We're not trading Brook Lopez. period. I don't see him coming here anyways. We don't really have any pieces that they'd be interested in or are available.

AlexTmz2
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
By: Adrian Wojnarowski: Yahoo Sports

As the July 1 start of free agency pushes closer, powerbroker William Wesley has been working multiple angles to NBA front offices about possible trades and signings. Here’s his latest: World Wide Wes has been pitching teams with salary-cap space that trading for New Orleans Hornets star Chris Paul(notes) will dramatically increase their chances of signing LeBron James(notes), multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower has no intention of trading Paul, but multiple league executives believe that until owner George Shinn closes on the team’s sale with billionaire oilman Gary Chouest, there is a price with which Paul could be pried away.

More From Adrian WojnarowskiBol dies as basketball’s gentle giant Jun 19, 2010 Kobe's fifth title proves his most difficult Jun 18, 2010
Chris Paul played in only 45 games last season because of ankle and knee injuries.

“He can be had with Shinn in there, but once the new guy takes over, he’s off the market,” one senior front-office executive told Y! Sports.

Can Wesley deliver Paul? Extremely doubtful, but that hasn’t stopped his sales pitch to teams, league sources said. First of all, Paul hasn’t requested a trade out of New Orleans, so the franchise isn’t under pressure to move him. He has two years and $31.3 million left on his contract until he can opt out before the 2012-13 season.

Privately, Paul has been displeased with Shinn’s constant cost-cutting measures, but has been optimistic about new ownership’s stated desire to spend more and try to compete in the powerful Western Conference. What’s more, Paul is loyal and values his connection to his Hornets teammates and the New Orleans community.

Bower hasn’t made calls offering Paul, sources said, nor do the Hornets plan to initiate conversations on him. New Orleans has received a steady stream of inquires on Paul, but Bower and Chouset have no interest in moving him. Still, rival executives believe Shinn’s willingness to rid payroll should the sales transaction continue to stall is his major motivator in even considering a possible trade of his franchise point guard.

James is close friends with Paul, and the Cavs star even flew to Winston-Salem, N.C., shortly after Cleveland’s Eastern Conference semifinals loss to the Boston Celtics to attend a birthday party for Paul’s son. James was joined by his business manager, Maverick Carter, who has been trying to pilfer Paul from Octagon, which represents Paul. James’ marketing company, LRMR, has wanted Paul to invest in the business and become some kind of partner, sources said.

Why would World Wide Wes want to help broker a deal for Paul? Here are two reasons: First, James loves the prospect of playing with one of the best point guards in the NBA. Secondly, it would show Paul how Wesley could make things happen for him, and perhaps get him to leave Octagon for Wesley and Leon Rose at CAA.

The Memphis Grizzlies offered O.J. Mayo(notes) as part of a package for Paul recently, but talks went nowhere. League sources believe the New Jersey Nets are willing to part with the No. 3 pick and every player on their roster except for center Brook Lopez(notes) to obtain Paul. Also, the Portland Trail Blazers – who’ve long targeted Paul – are expected make a bid for Paul prior to the draft, a source said.

The San Antonio Spurs once had a chance to be frontrunners for Paul – if New Orleans ever felt compelled to make a trade – because they could offer an All-Star caliber point guard in Tony Parker(notes). Nevertheless, the emergence of Darren Collison(notes) allows the Hornets to make a trade without taking back a point guard. Now, New Orleans could possibly improve itself at two positions – perhaps shooting guard and small forward – and get draft picks.

It’s hard to imagine the Hornets agreeing to move their franchise star for much, if anything, short of an All-Star, a starter and a high draft pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AklcRpj2oZO..pD2J8t3HCK8vLYF?slug=aw-paulhornets062110

GSW Hoops
06-22-2010, 12:41 AM
It's ridiculous for the Hornets to even think of trading Chris Paul unless they're getting a superstar like Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Deron Williams, etc. in return.

nolafan33
06-22-2010, 01:12 AM
CP3 isn't going to Jersey without Lopez coming back. End of discussion.

hugepatsfan
06-22-2010, 01:12 AM
3 team deal:

NYK gets: Devin Harris, Emeka Okafor
NO gets: #3 pick, #31 pick, #38 pick, NJ 2011 first rounder, T-Will, Wilson Chandler, Courtney Lee
NJ gets: CP3, James Posey

Never gonna happen though. That would make NJ the favorites to land Lebron IMO. it would also help NO save a lot of money.

nolafan33
06-22-2010, 01:15 AM
3 team deal:

NO gets: #3 pick, #31 pick, #38 pick, NJ 2011 first rounder, T-Will, Wilson Chandler, Courtney Lee

Never gonna happen though. That would make NJ the favorites to land Lebron IMO. it would also help NO save a lot of money.

I don't think teams can trade first round picks back to back years? IDK, I could be wrong though.

Let me say this, Chris Paul >>>>>>> Brook Lopez. It's not even close. But, trading a young up and coming center isn't a likely option for ANY team, nomatter what they are getting back. Unless of course the guys name is Lebron.

NYK_kidd77
06-22-2010, 01:16 AM
3 team deal:

Why would the Knicks do this lol.

abe_froman
06-22-2010, 01:17 AM
It's ridiculous for the Hornets to even think of trading Chris Paul unless they're getting a superstar like Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Deron Williams, etc. in return.

exactly,which is why i find these threads every month hilarious

seriously what compels anyone to think that he could be had? :confused:

Tony_Starks
06-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Is this really even a story? Yeah teams want Chris Paul and guess what.... they also want Melo, Wade, Kobe and every other franchise player out there but that doesn't mean its gonna happen.

It amazes me when people think they can get a superstar for scrubs in return...

IAmKira
06-22-2010, 01:19 AM
3 team deal:

i like how NJ has to give up D-Harris, Lee, t-WILL, their 3rd pick, #31 pick and their 2011 pick for cp3 and Posey while
Knicks only gives up Wilson the bum Chandler and get an all star and an "above average" center. Thats a cool trade bro. :facepalm::facepalm:

IAmKira
06-22-2010, 01:21 AM

why wouldnt u do this? Chandler for 2 core players and u still got money for 1 max contract? Lets say Bosh

Harris
Walker
Rooster man
Bosh
Okafor.

Not that bad of a line up..

thenetslegend
06-22-2010, 01:24 AM
i would offer 3rd pick, 27th, 31st, yi, and courtney lee for paul and okafor

hugepatsfan
06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
i like how NJ has to give up D-Harris, Lee, t-WILL, their 3rd pick, #31 pick and their 2011 pick for cp3 and Posey while
Knicks only gives up Wilson the bum Chandler and get an all star and an "above average" center. Thats a cool trade bro. :facepalm::facepalm:

Well Wilson isn't a bum. And I didn't really think about the trade that much. I didn't think Harris made sense in NO so I just picked the Knicks as a team that I knew needed PG help. I've seen a trade of Chandler and Curry for Okafor and Collison. I used the same trade, just Harris instead of Collison. The Knicks would probably have to include a first next year as well. If I took the time to make a serious trade idea (this one took about a minute), I would probably incluse that.

numba1CHANGsta
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
CP3 will not be traded, period.

hugepatsfan
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM

You know the Wilson Chandler + Eddy Curry for Okafor+Collison deal that many Knicjs fans seem to like? It's the same deal except a better/more proven PG is coming back. The only difference is that with Collison you guys could still give out two max deal. Harris would limit you to one. I guess it is a bad trade in that sense.

PrettyBoyJ
06-22-2010, 02:59 AM
I dont think Devin harris is that bad he jus needs to watch more film..

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 03:34 AM
hornets FO should be ******* stupid to get rid of chris paul.....its not even stupid......its dumb.....he is a franchise player...u dont get rid of franchise players for complete scrubs...i dont care whoever they get back in return....

Derick713
06-22-2010, 03:37 AM
If I'm the Pacers I would trade Danny Granger with the 10th Pick for the 4th Pick, Johnny Flynn, and the two lower 1st Round Picks the T-Wolves have.

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
If I'm the Pacers I would trade Danny Granger with the 10th Pick for the 4th Pick, Johnny Flynn, and the two lower 1st Round Picks the T-Wolves have.

am sure pacers will not give up granger for bunch of crap(unproven players)....

fredv
06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Only way I see CP3 traded to NJ without giving up Lopez is in a 3 team deal.

NJ would need to take back some awful contracts and give up some talent such as 3rd pick, Harris, etc.
Not worth it to sabotage a team that is rebuilding and could possibly have an amazing front court in the years to come.

S-Dot
06-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Only way I see CP3 traded to NJ without giving up Lopez is in a 3 team deal.

NJ would need to take back some awful contracts and give up some talent such as 3rd pick, Harris, etc.
Not worth it to sabotage a team that is rebuilding and could possibly have an amazing front court in the years to come.

I agree. This trade will hurt New Orleans more because of how much CP3 means to that franchise, but NJ still has a bright future with the 3rd pick even with the 12-70 record last season. They should continue to build.

imagesrdecievin
06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
The only way CP3 gets moved is if the current owner(Shinn) is in cost cutting mode. Stranger things have happened in the NBA because of financial decisions being made - not basketball decisions.

#3, a first next year(NJ has two), Terrence Williams and Dooling(has a 500k buyout) or CDR for CP3 and whichever bad contract NO feels like dumping(Peja or Okafor).

I doubt it happens - but as a Nets fan - I wouldn't be interested in moving Lopez for CP3. History shows that you never trade big for small.