PDA

View Full Version : Why not Fukudome over Soriano?

thawv
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
In my opinion, Colvin has to be in the lineup everyday. That being said, why is it that Soriano is still in the lineup against RHP? I'm not saying that Fukudome is a star, but he is certainly a much better option than Soriano is in lineup.

Fukudome can run better than Soriano. He has a substantially better arm than Soriano. He's ten times the fielder Soriano is. That's not even including the offensive numbers against RHP.

Soriano: AVE .250, OBP .311, SLG .493, OPS .804

Fukudome: AVE .282, OBP .377, SLG .448, OPS .825

Based on the fact that Fukudome's numbers are better than Soriano's against RHP, coupled with the simple fact that Fukudome is a better athlete, and simply a better all around baseball than Soriano is, it's clear that Lou is not putting the best lineup out there. For whatever reason........I for one don't know. My guess is that he is playing the paycheck and not the player. I also don't think he likes Fukudome very much. Who knows?

poodski
06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
I somewhat agree, not sure exactly how he has fared vs RHP since the first month though.

I wouldnt mind seeing Colvin take some reps in LF vs RHP, with Fukudome playing in RF.

JayBandit
06-21-2010, 12:40 PM
In my opinion, Colvin has to be in the lineup everyday. That being said, why is it that Soriano is still in the lineup against RHP? I'm not saying that Fukudome is a star, but he is certainly a much better option than Soriano is in lineup.

Fukudome can run better than Soriano. He has a substantially better arm than Soriano. He's ten times the fielder Soriano is. That's not even including the offensive numbers against RHP.

Soriano: AVE .250, OBP .311, SLG .493, OPS .804

Fukudome: AVE .282, OBP .377, SLG .448, OPS .825

Based on the fact that Fukudome's numbers are better than Soriano's against RHP, coupled with the simple fact that Fukudome is a better athlete, and simply a better all around baseball than Soriano is, it's clear that Lou is not putting the best lineup out there. For whatever reason........I for one don't know. My guess is that he is playing the paycheck and not the player. I also don't think he likes Fukudome very much. Who knows?

Fukudome has not been playing better than Soriano. Fukudome is sliding every month, just as he has the past two years. If you break it down by month, you'd actually notice that Fukudome is doing better than Soriano in June...but they've both been terrible. I think Soriano is getting the benefit of the doubt because he's known to be a streaky guy. Fukudome is known to simply get worse every month into the season.

APRIL OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .358 .542 .900 .292
Fukudome .443 .641 1.084 .344

MAY OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .376 .626 1.003 .308
Fukudome .348 .367 .715 .253

JUNE OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .240 .279 .519 .140
Fukudome .270 .286 .556 .229

JayBandit
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Also, if he really wants to play "the best" player...I'd say that we should have an outfield of Colvin, Byrd, and Nady. Offensively, those are the 3 best guys day in and day out currently. Soriano would replace one of them at some point on one of his hot streaks, and Fukudome should be riding the pine.

Milnertime
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Fukudome has not been playing better than Soriano. Fukudome is sliding every month, just as he has the past two years. If you break it down by month, you'd actually notice that Fukudome is doing better than Soriano in June...but they've both been terrible. I think Soriano is getting the benefit of the doubt because he's known to be a streaky guy. Fukudome is known to simply get worse every month into the season.

APRIL OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .358 .542 .900 .292
Fukudome .443 .641 1.084 .344

MAY OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .376 .626 1.003 .308
Fukudome .348 .367 .715 .253

JUNE OBP SLG OPS AVG
Soriano .240 .279 .519 .140
Fukudome .270 .286 .556 .229
That's odd, since there was just a great deal of discussion here about how Fukudome doesn't, in fact, get worse every month.

ty_smitty21
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
If I were the Cubs, I'd do everything I possibly could to trade BOTH of them. Then next year, have an outfield of Colvin, Byrd, and a free agent signing like Werth or somebody for a decent price.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Also, if he really wants to play "the best" player...I'd say that we should have an outfield of Colvin, Byrd, and Nady. Offensively, those are the 3 best guys day in and day out currently. Soriano would replace one of them at some point on one of his hot streaks, and Fukudome should be riding the pine.

How can you possibly justify that Nady is better than Soriano AND Fukudome?

Also, to the OP, Soriano is faster than Fukudome and has been for the whole time Dome has been on this team. That is with Soriano going through several leg injuries.

poodski
06-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Also, to the OP, Soriano is faster than Fukudome and has been for the whole time Dome has been on this team. That is with Soriano going through several leg injuries.

This is the only year Soriano's *** rating has really been considerably better than Fukudome's.

Could be a sign he is healthy though.

MrPoon
06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
i dont think fukudome's arm is "substantially better" than soriano's at all. if soriano has one thing going for him in the OF, its his arm.

BDawk4Prez
06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
i dont think fukudome's arm is "substantially better" than soriano's at all. if soriano has one thing going for him in the OF, its his arm.

And the hop, but that goes without being said.

MrPoon
06-21-2010, 01:55 PM
i love watching him take fly balls. i can almost see him talking to himself and saying "stay on the ground Fonzie, stay on the ground..." cause it seems like hes trying so hard not to do it.

Matchstckman
06-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Soriano's been a pretty damn good defender this year.

Sure's he's been ice cold for the last 3-4 weeks, but he needs to be in there.

Matchstckman
06-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Soriano's been a pretty damn good defender this year.

Sure's he's been ice cold for the last 3-4 weeks, but he needs to be in there.

windycityD
06-21-2010, 04:06 PM
If I were the Cubs, I'd do everything I possibly could to trade BOTH of them. Then next year, have an outfield of Colvin, Byrd, and a free agent signing like Werth or somebody for a decent price.

Just wait and see how much Werth is going to get.

If I were the Cubs/ Ricketts, I would do everything possible to bring in a manager and GM who see the following:

1) the lead off value of Fukudome in 2011
2) the corner OF clog
3) as a result of #2 and after he plays the position in winter ball, moving Colvin to 1b in 2011 as opposed to spending a gazillion on Adam Dunn or Lance Berkman in free agency.
4) Yes, having a vet, right handed bat who can hit w/ some power and play 1b behind Colvin, coming off the bench. That bat might be already here in Nady.
5) Upgrading 2b or 3b (pending what A Ram does or does not do after this season), even if you go cheap & young with a high end spec via trade to do it.
6) Ah, play Soto a lot more and hit him higher than 7th/ 8th.
7) Put Cashner in the rotation, hell or high water.

Soriano's contract simply cannot be moved. No one in their right mind would take it on near-full and Ricketts wont pay out just to have him off the roster.

Acronym
06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Just wait and see how much Werth is going to get.

If I were the Cubs/ Ricketts, I would do everything possible to bring in a manager and GM who see the following:

1) the lead off value of Fukudome in 2011
2) the corner OF clog
3) as a result of #2 and after he plays the position in winter ball, moving Colvin to 1b in 2011 as opposed to spending a gazillion on Adam Dunn or Lance Berkman in free agency.
4) Yes, having a vet, right handed bat who can hit w/ some power and play 1b behind Colvin, coming off the bench. That bat might be already here in Nady.
5) Upgrading 2b or 3b (pending what A Ram does or does not do after this season), even if you go cheap & young with a high end spec via trade to do it.
6) Ah, play Soto a lot more and hit him higher than 7th/ 8th.
7) Put Cashner in the rotation, hell or high water.

Soriano's contract simply cannot be moved. No one in their right mind would take it on near-full and Ricketts wont pay out just to have him off the roster.

The bold is where I stopped reading, because it is a ****ing awful idea. Colvin will never, ever hit like an NL 1b needs to hit. Look at the 1b around the NL. At first, Colvin can't save runs with defense, and even if his bat is good, it is not good enough for 1b.

CUBDOM4life
06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I like how some people still feel it is posible to trade Soriano.

BUD Bleachers
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
I like how some people still feel it is posible to trade Soriano.

I just shake my head.

I consistently use the real estate analogy.

Who wants an overpriced house in a mediocre location?

It's the same concept with many of our players.

JayBandit
06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
That's odd, since there was just a great deal of discussion here about how Fukudome doesn't, in fact, get worse every month.

Okay...well that isn't anywhere in this thread, and I don't have time to read an entire forum before each post.

JayBandit
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM

For starters, I put best in quotations, because I don't think offense alone is the only thing that makes up a good player (I was being facetious...). However, the person that started this thread apparently believes we should be playing people based on purely offense, and therefore if you look at stats for this year thus far, Nady is trending to be better than those to at this current time.

In my opinion, I would have Soriano, Byrd, and Colvin playing just like Lou has, because those are the best talent. Nady and Fukudome can spell those guys at times for injuries, fatigue, and/or crappiness in play. Really, someone has to go, and perhaps the Cubs could deal Nady since there is no way they can get rid of Fukudome or Soriano at this point in their contracts.

JayBandit
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
The bold is where I stopped reading, because it is a ****ing awful idea. Colvin will never, ever hit like an NL 1b needs to hit. Look at the 1b around the NL. At first, Colvin can't save runs with defense, and even if his bat is good, it is not good enough for 1b.

I concur

windycityD
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Really, could care less.

I keep hearing about how he needs to play everyday, in RF. Guess what, he likely wont ever hit like a RF should either. We had Mark Grace here at 1b forever and the guy was never a power hitter. But he was a hitter. I'm sure you're all for spending 13 million per for Berkman or Dunn.

redwhitenblue
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
In general, offensive production for RF's seems to have dwindled in the past decade (along with 3B) while positions like 2B, LF and 1B are taking the majority of it.