PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't Think LeBron and Wade will Team-Up

J4KOP99
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Recently there has been a lot of talk about Lebron and Wade possibly joining forces in Miami or some other team with a lot of cap space. But do you honestly think LeBron, who hasn't won a title yet, would want to share the possible spotlight with Wade?

I am not saying LeBron has an ego bigger than anyone else in this league but at this point in his career, I don't think he is going to make a move of desperation like that. Wade has won and would obviously welcome LeBron as a teammate but I think the more likely scenario would be Bosh or Amar'e joining Wade.

LeBron is too good to play with Wade. Also, if they do end up together, this would definitely discredit LeBron's career. That is the reason some people don't give Kobe enough credit or Shaq because they used eachother. LeBron should want to win one on his own and with Wade, that wouldn't be able to happen.

Lebron is in a tough situation though. I still think he is leaning toward Cleveland but that city/franchise does not draw players like say a Miami, Chicago, NY or LA does. As I said earlier, I definitely see Wade getting one of the big free agents but I'm not so sure Lebron will also.

These are the problems for LeBron with each team:
Miami- Wade is most likely re-signing and he will not want to share the spotlight with Wade who has already won a title. I think he wants to play somewhere where the team is consideres "Lebron's team" in Miami, that wouldn't be the case.

Chicago-Yes it would be cool but I dont see there being a shot in hell that he literally follows Michael Jordan's exact foot steps. If it happens though, he will be under one hell of a microscope.

NY-I don't think he trusts the franchise. He would be a savior to New York City, who has been begging for a Knicks championship for years but at the same time, I don't know if he wants to deal with the mess that is, the Knicks. This would be the most likely scenario if he was going to play with Bosh or Amar'e though. I don't think either of them are going to play with him in Cleveland.

LA- As stated previosly with Miami, Kobe plays in LA and LeBron won't want to share the spotlight, although it would be indirectly because LeBron would be on the Clippers.

Raidaz4Life
06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
No offense.... but is your opinion really thread worthy?

Sergio1984
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I just don't understand why people keep saying he wouldn't want to play in Chicago due to following Jordan's footsteps. That is the most absurd reason not to play on a team. If anything, he would want to play for the Bulls more to try to be better than Mike.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I just don't understand why people keep saying he wouldn't want to play in Chicago due to following Jordan's footsteps. That is the most absurd reason not to play on a team. If anything, he would want to play for the Bulls more to try to be better than Mike.

Thats because he will never be better than Mike, thats the problem. Chicago doesn't have the history of a Franchise like the LA Lakers or Boston Celtics throughout decades, there isn't a "Table of Champions". With teams like LA & Boston there isn't a consensus Greatest Laker or Greatest Celtic of All-Time. That allows guys to go play there because both are teams that have generational All-Time greats, you just want to be mentioned with them after your career is over.

In Chicago its Michael Jordan and everybody else falls in line. LeBron would be silly to be that #2 guy in Bulls history, if its 1 thing about LeBron its that he has a huge ego and loves people admiring him. For a team like Chicago, everything he does would be to be compared to Jordan, and nothing he does will ever measure up. He could end his career with 2-5 championships but he'll still end up #2 on the Bulls' All-Time list. He might get a statue outside of the Bulls new arena, but still Chicago Bulls basketball will be known for Jordan and LeBron will just be viewed as a "generational great" with the Bulls. You can say how great he is now, but you know there will never be a time you put LeBron over MJ, espescially if you are old enough to have witnessed MJ's prime.

Thats why I think LeBron goes to New York. He gets the fame, ego stroking, and admiration he wants from a lot of people. He also gets the ability to carve out his own legacy on a historic franchise, but this historic franchise doesn't have any 1 player greater than the franchise itself. LeBron's career can easily outdue Frzzier, DD, Ewing, Reed, Monroe, etc. If he wins 2-5 championship on the Knicks, hes not measuring up to anybody. Knicks fans will proclaim him as "The GOAT" and he might just get the court named after him.

J4KOP99
06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
No offense.... but is your opinion really thread worthy?

haha, were about to find out.

But if you think about it, half the threads we start are about some random writer voicing his opinion on whatever matter so I just thought I would throw this idea out there and see what people think. I find it pretty interesting and I think others may as well.

J4KOP99
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM

No one will be better than Mike. The press will not allow it. Obviously you want him to come to Chicago and they already have a great nucleus over there to build on but following in Jordan's exact footsteps is a much bigger deal than you are willing to admit.

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 10:29 AM
No one will be better than Mike. The press will not allow it. Obviously you want him to come to Chicago and they already have a great nucleus over there to build on but following in Jordan's exact footsteps is a much bigger deal than you are willing to admit.

Everybody wants LeBron to come join their team, but when you think about it why would he leave Cleveland if he doesn't seem something unique elsewhere?

Cleveland with LeBron is still a better overall team than Chicago would be with LeBron. So I dont think it would be about the team, it would be about things related to his legacy outside of basketball.

KnicksorBust
06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Everybody wants LeBron to come join their team, but when you think about it why would he leave Cleveland if he doesn't seem something unique elsewhere?
Cleveland with LeBron is still a better overall team than Chicago would be with LeBron. So I dont think it would be about the team, it would be about things related to his legacy outside of basketball.

Wouldn't playing with an Oympic teammate like Chris Bosh qualify as something unique?

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't playing with an Oympic teammate like Chris Bosh qualify as something unique?

Maybe. I just dont think its about the team that will influence his decision.

Playing with a stacked Cleveland team is equal in my opinion to playing with Bosh in NY or Rose/Noah in Chicago. You'll win a lot of games either way.

I think the deciding factor for him will be where he can carve out the 2nd chapter of his legacy the way he wants it to go. LeBron is as obsessed with his legacy as is Kobe, they're just going about it different ways. Kobe wants to make his basketball legacy great by winning titles, LeBron wants to make his legacy great by becoming a sports icon.

Hoopsadvocate
06-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I say b/s. Jordan couldn win without a top 50 player of all time (pippen) but people make it seem like he did it by himself. Only thhis eras stupid fans discredit players for having help wether it's Kobe and shaq or w/e fact is everyone had 2 great players hakeeem and drexler, magic and Kareem, bird and parish. Yet they all are considered greats and have legacys. And I'm sure that's what Riley will sell them on because he coached one of those examples. The players have said themselves they could see themselves playing with each other yet just because u said they can't they most likely won't right? I'll take there word and history over your and any sportswriters opinion

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I say b/s. Jordan couldn win without a top 50 player of all time (pippen) but people make it seem like he did it by himself. Only thhis eras stupid fans discredit players for having help wether it's Kobe and shaq or w/e fact I everyone had 2 great players hakeeem and drexler, magic and Kareem, bird and parish. Yet they all are considered greats and have legacys. And I'm sure that's what Riley will sell them on because he coached one of those examples. The players have said themselves they could see themselves playing with each other yet just because u said they can't they most likely won't right? I'll take there word and history over your and any sportswriters opinion

Why?

Miami can dump Beasley/Jones and be able to sign Johnson & Amare.

That would be the real Big 3.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I never really saw Lebron and Wade teaming up either. It'd sure be interesting but I just don't think it'll happen. It'd be like Kobe and Tmac teaming up years ago.

Hoopsadvocate
06-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Why?

Miami can dump Beasley/Jones and be able to sign Johnson & Amare.

That would be the real Big 3.

Why what? I had no mention of a big three just arguing against the original topic of why Wade and lebrons can't team up

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Why what? I had no mention of a big three just arguing against the original topic of why Wade and lebrons can't team up

They could team up. I'm just saying that why would they team up?

RaiderLakersA's
06-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I say b/s. Jordan couldn win without a top 50 player of all time (pippen) but people make it seem like he did it by himself. Only thhis eras stupid fans discredit players for having help wether it's Kobe and shaq or w/e fact is everyone had 2 great players hakeeem and drexler, magic and Kareem, bird and parish. Yet they all are considered greats and have legacys. And I'm sure that's what Riley will sell them on because he coached one of those examples.

:clap:

Hoopsadvocate
06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
They could team up. I'm just saying that why would they team up?

Oh well my response was toward the OP. As for your question, why would they, I'd say it's closer to a sure thing. I mean a lot of people (inculding me towards the playoffs) thought lebron had it in the bag this year once the cava got Jamison and he clicked in there offense it seemed like they had every position hole filled. Problem was they couldn't perfem without him going all out and due to his injury the truth came to light. And that was that a supporting cast is great but if you have a night off you need someone who's reliable enough to be able to take over a game or 3 without you. Someone else who can help lead the team with you so they don't feel that once tree main guy is out that there confidence goes down. Someone to share the load with.

DR. Pepper
06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
is KG's career discredited because he played on a team with Pierce and Allen? is MJs career discredited because he played with Pippen and Rodman under Phil Jackson? Is Kobes Career discredited because he played with Shaq and then Gasol? is tim duncans career discredited because he played with a very strong supporting cast for a number of years? do you see where im going with this? the answer to these questions is no.
IF lebron wants to win.. he will play with wade.. if not miami will go after guys who want to play in florida and add guys like Stat and/or Boozer and never look back

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2010, 12:05 PM
My thing about a Wade/LBJ due is this: no huge rebounder. Yes, yes, Jordan and Pippen pulled it off, but they have Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman, that later of whom is the greatest rebounder since Wilt Chamberlain retired, but they were both 7+ boards a night kinda guys and were both around 6'7. Not James can rebound, we all know that, but lets face it, Wade ain't never even averaged 6 boards a game let alone 7 or 8 like Jordan and Pippen did, and that's cool 'cause the dude is only 6'4. But Wade needs to win is a couple of studs in the front court who can rebound and defend, and one of them needs to have a little offence, and a guy on the win that can knock down jumpers when the defences collapse. So Wade (playing point guard like he did early in his career) with Bosh and a guy like Dalembert or a Ben Wallace type with a Rip Hamilton on the wing, that is the kind of set up Wade would need to really win. Shaq and Haslem and Walker was what he had working the front court the last time he won it, and I think he would need a similar compliment of players.

What James needs is a couple of guard who can defend and shoot, and a PF and C that can defend and rebound. What he has this season was close, otherwise they wouldn't have won more games than anybody in the regular season, but they were still undersized at shooting guard and lack a great shooter at the point. Now you put a Jose Calderon in place of Mo Williams (lets say a Calderon that can defend) and a Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton at shooting guard, then you got a championship team, but inconsistent shooters like Mo and West? Neither of who could even hope to guard a guy like Kobe who has improved his post game and knows how to use his size against smaller guard.

Wade and LBJ? That is a lot of talent, but i don't think they compliment each other.

thescore53
06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
wade says '' lebron tell me how my *** taste''

R_O_W_E
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Oh well my response was toward the OP. As for your question, why would they, I'd say it's closer to a sure thing. I mean a lot of people (inculding me towards the playoffs) thought lebron had it in the bag this year once the cava got Jamison and he clicked in there offense it seemed like they had every position hole filled. Problem was they couldn't perfem without him going all out and due to his injury the truth came to light. And that was that a supporting cast is great but if you have a night off you need someone who's reliable enough to be able to take over a game or 3 without you. Someone else who can help lead the team with you so they don't feel that once tree main guy is out that there confidence goes down. Someone to share the load with.

I get your point. I think they could work well together, but with 2 of the Top 5 players in the NBA on 1 team. If they dont win a Championship yearly, it would be a disappointment.

When you mentioned in your other post regarding great players playing together you didn't mention that those guys were drafted to that team. I think its much different for a guy like Kobe coming in at age 17 and adjusting his game to Shaq for his first 6-8 years, and eventually surpassing him as a player. Same way with Pippen coming in as a rookie and adjusting to Jordan. McHale & Bird coming in basically together. Magic coming in and adjusting to Kareem, then Worthy joining them. Those things work out much better because when you start your career as a rookie you're already with a great player on a winning team and eventually your ego doesn't grow as it would if you were "the man" elsewhere.

LeBron & Wade have basically been "the man" there entire careers. Its just something about guys learning how to play with each other early on before their egos grow. If these guys went to the same team in 03', I think they would've been that great duo. Them teaming together would've been much more natural than it would be if they did it now after 7 years.

The last time in the NBA for 2 elite players coming together and growing up together on the same could've been T-Mac/VC. If that had worked out I have no doubt Toronto would have atleast 2 Championships. The Lakers' Triangle Offense wouldn't be able to stop prime T-Mac and Vince together on the floor.

bbblack40
06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
My thing about a Wade/LBJ due is this: no huge rebounder. Yes, yes, Jordan and Pippen pulled it off, but they have Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman, that later of whom is the greatest rebounder since Wilt Chamberlain retired, but they were both 7+ boards a night kinda guys and were both around 6'7. Not James can rebound, we all know that, but lets face it, Wade ain't never even averaged 6 boards a game let alone 7 or 8 like Jordan and Pippen did, and that's cool 'cause the dude is only 6'4. But Wade needs to win is a couple of studs in the front court who can rebound and defend, and one of them needs to have a little offence, and a guy on the win that can knock down jumpers when the defences collapse. So Wade (playing point guard like he did early in his career) with Bosh and a guy like Dalembert or a Ben Wallace type with a Rip Hamilton on the wing, that is the kind of set up Wade would need to really win. Shaq and Haslem and Walker was what he had working the front court the last time he won it, and I think he would need a similar compliment of players.

What James needs is a couple of guard who can defend and shoot, and a PF and C that can defend and rebound. What he has this season was close, otherwise they wouldn't have won more games than anybody in the regular season, but they were still undersized at shooting guard and lack a great shooter at the point. Now you put a Jose Calderon in place of Mo Williams (lets say a Calderon that can defend) and a Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton at shooting guard, then you got a championship team, but inconsistent shooters like Mo and West? Neither of who could even hope to guard a guy like Kobe who has improved his post game and knows how to use his size against smaller guard.

Wade and LBJ? That is a lot of talent, but i don't think they compliment each other.

what r u talking about? jordan averaged like 5 rebs a game jus like wade. lebron avg. 7+ rebs a game more than pippen they will pull their weight on the boards. whoever the pf is will pull down 7+ rebs a game, like haslem or lets say the heat go the big 3 route and get bosh,amare, boozer, or even lee to join wade and lebron i doubt rebounds would really b a problem. point blank these are two great players who make their teammates better. so why in the world would they not make each other better?

RipVW
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Why is this not in the LeBron thread?

Giaps
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Of all the big name FA scenarios, Lebron and Wade in Miami is probably the least likely... by far.

Wade is not leaving Miami and that is his team, his town. If Lebron comes, it will still be Wade's team, albeit with a shared spotlight this time. And from a basketball standpoint, one of them will have to sacrifice his game to make it work because they are both most effective with the ball in their hands. If they do make it work and win a championship or more, Wade will always have 1 up on Lebron and will always be considered the better player and better winner.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Word.

Wade_County
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Who cares. Countdown 10 days to lebron resigns in cleveland..

You know its funny. Ive read a lot these threads. And it always seems its bulls, heat, knicks, and raptors fans arguing. But never any Cleveland fans, they must know hes resigning and not waste there time.

J4KOP99
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM

First off, I never said my opinion is the only right answer and everyone else is wrong. I never asked you to trust me, you could easily be right but I don't think LeBron is willing to share the spotlight with another superstar talent like Wade.

You talk about "someone" to carry the load when you are having trouble but I see that someone being a Bosh or Amar'e type...not wade.

You are a heat fan and would obviously love for LeBron to come to your team but I see LeBron as a person who wants to make his own legacy and he can't do that if he is on the heat with another top 3 player in the league.

And about a point you made earlier...obviously every top player(MJ,Bird,Magic) need another great player by their side, anybody that says otherwise doesn't understand team sports. However, in LeBron's case I don't think he wants someone of arguably equal talent by his side.

-Miami is already Wade's team, LeBron is not going to play 2nd fiddle and either will wade.

J4KOP99
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Another thing, I never said they wouldn't compliment eachother well. They absolutely would. That is not the issue.

The issue is that I don't think LeBron wants to win with wade. I think he would rather win with someone like Bosh, Boozer, Amar'e or a player of that level.

If LeBron put his ego aside and said, I want to win as many championships as possible and didn't care about his legacy, he would sign for 10 mil a year and give whatever team he's on an even bigger ability to bring in more talent. That's not going to happen though