PDA

View Full Version : If you're a BIGNAME FA; do you consider joining the Spurs?

SpursEvolution
06-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Or has their window closed?
As a Spurs fan I know the Timmy era is near the end, an when that day comes it will be sad for the NBA, I know most of y'all hate him cause he's boring? But look what the man has done, 4rings/2xMVP/3xFinalsMVP/ect. An still has a little left in the tank. So with a resumé like that do you consider joining the Spurs? I mean we still have a solid group.

Parker/Hill
Manu
_
Mcdyess/Blair
Timmy/Splitter(FINALLY comin from overseas)

So assuming RJ opts out that saves us 16 mill. An with bonner,mason,bogans on the move(7 mill) that leaves us wit about 10 mil to spend on a guy( since were over the cap) so do you look into something like that or expect same result Spurs had this year(2ndRoundExit) just want some thoughts so please talk basketball an not your feelings. Thanx :)

D-Train#35
06-21-2010, 02:01 AM
I would love to see Joe Johnson sign with the Spurs. Put Manu at SF and Johnson at SG. I think Johnson has exactly what they lack, which is someone who can score all over the floor and create his own shots. He would immediately come in and be the main option on offense and would help take pressure off Duncan late in his career. The more I think about it, the more I would like it.

iggypop123
06-21-2010, 02:01 AM
why would RJ opt out. he would go from 16 million to like 2 million at best. he may suck but his agent isnt stupid

ldc62
06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
No way will RJ opt out. His value has never been lower...

bbcmillionaire
06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Hmm jj to the spurs? Nice

KB24PG16
06-21-2010, 02:37 AM
they gotta get their cash spurs cant offer that right now

shep33
06-21-2010, 02:52 AM
I doubt they would, if they sign a 3-6 year deal I don't think Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker will be there, heck I don't know if Pop will even be there. So I doubt it. Another team in Texas comes to mind, Houston. They got good players and if they added a big like Bosh or Stoudamire they'd be pretty solid

ChiSox219
06-21-2010, 03:03 AM
I would love to see Joe Johnson sign with the Spurs. Put Manu at SF and Johnson at SG. I think Johnson has exactly what they lack, which is someone who can score all over the floor and create his own shots. He would immediately come in and be the main option on offense and would help take pressure off Duncan late in his career. The more I think about it, the more I would like it.

why would RJ opt out. he would go from 16 million to like 2 million at best. he may suck but his agent isnt stupid

I agree with both of these posts

hugepatsfan
06-21-2010, 03:37 AM
RJ is going to pick up his option. But that makes him an expiring deal. Would ATL take RJ and the #20 pick in a S&T for JJ? Maybe. It would give them the upgrade at SF I think they need (Marvin Williams should be a combo forward off the bench). RJ would also fir the more athletic style of basketball ATL plays as opposed to SA, so he would probably excell there. The #20 pick is definatley a major asset as well.

_KB24_
06-21-2010, 03:55 AM
You must be delusional if you think RJ is going to opt out. He would even make 1/4 of what he's guaranteed in the market. Who the hell gave him that deal, was it MIL or NJ? Stupid.

DenButsu
06-21-2010, 05:21 AM
There's no way as far as I can tell that the Spurs can offer a max contract to a free agent, so the question seems to be kind of a moot point.

That said, it seems to me that the most sensible "big name" addition would be a big who could play alongside Duncan and take some of the pressure off him in terms of holding the middle, and then continue playing alongside TP after Duncan retires (assuming Parker stays with the Spurs long term).

They always do well (or almost always, at least) attracting talent, it's a destination a lot of veterans are open to going, but their guaranteed salary for 2010-11 is well over the cap, so beyond the MLE I think they're pretty much limited to vets minimums and anything they can swing through trades.

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 05:25 AM

Joe Johnson would be great, but Manu at SF? We need length & atleticism inside, 3 point shooting, backup pg(not a necessity), and defense on the wing. I would take JJ in a heart beat, but there is no way Manu is a SF. Could JJ even come here and fit in with the Big 3? Didnt he leave the Suns to be the man and get his payday? Also, with that scenario, how will we fill out the rest of the roster? Johnson is a FA so it would have to be a S&T which I doubt he does.

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Do big names think about us? Sure. Will they come? No.

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Or has their window closed?
As a Spurs fan I know the Timmy era is near the end, an when that day comes it will be sad for the NBA, I know most of y'all hate him cause he's boring? But look what the man has done, 4rings/2xMVP/3xFinalsMVP/ect. An still has a little left in the tank. So with a resumé like that do you consider joining the Spurs? I mean we still have a solid group.

Parker/Hill
Manu
_
Mcdyess/Blair
Timmy/Splitter(FINALLY comin from overseas)

So assuming RJ opts out that saves us 16 mill. An with bonner,mason,bogans on the move(7 mill) that leaves us wit about 10 mil to spend on a guy( since were over the cap) so do you look into something like that or expect same result Spurs had this year(2ndRoundExit) just want some thoughts so please talk basketball an not your feelings. Thanx :)

Also with all of them gone we are still over the cap. If RJ were to opt out, it wouldnt give that much more. We have to rely on the MLE, LLE, BAE, Vet. mins. & the draft. Hopefully a nice S&T comes our way. But the Spurs would have to feel real confident in it due to our financial situation.

SpursEvolution
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
RJs value may be at an all time low but you still can't overlook his near 17ppg. He just didn't fit the Spurs system and I'm sure we can all agree. Put him on a run&gun style team an he's your guy. Opting out I guess is a long shot but S&T is best choice right? 16 mill is nice to play with. JJ would be nice though.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I would love to see the Lopez bros play for SA. Pop would have them unstoppable with Timmy and Mcdyess priming them. And Hill getting better with that core.

sep11ie
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Thought Manu comes off the bench?

krest213
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
imagine Blake Griffin along side Ducan? one can only dream
but JJ would be a nice piece. the reason i don't think guys like that would come is because
they say we are the most boring team to watch.
i see screw that, we play to win the game.
some of the player i would love to see
is Kyle Korver,
Bosh( but to much ego to played for us)
Dirk(too much money)
Shaquille O'Neal( and Ducan= 5th ring) dream
Rudy Gay

ay im just saying

magichatnumber9
06-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Pop is the best coach in the game. Why would a free agent not think about playing for the Spurs

king4day
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Their best bet is trade TP for Joe Johnson.
I don't think they'd have the money otherwise to get involved with the big name free agents

td0tsfinest
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
There were rumours of Bosh going there. Imagine a Duncan and Bosh combo. It'll be pretty nasty.

LTBaByyy
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
RJ opt out?!?!?! He maybe not successful on the court as his potential was signing with the spurs but him and his agent are VERY smart!! lol and if I was a FA I wouldnt go to the spurs, their all getting old, I would go to a team that has the young up and coming players!! unless I was a aging veteran I wouldn'd do this. Yes I am a mavs fan and the spurs are our rivals but I wouldn't go to the mavs either, unless it was a trade but FA no. If I was a SG like Johnson I would go to New York bc of his old coach and that system! San Antonio's system is not a good one for Joe Johnson! Look at the teams he played for, Hawks and Suns = Run and Gun

Kakaroach
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah RJ won't opt out unless the Spurs hold a gun to his head. The only way they make a splash in free agency is to trade Tony Parker because George Hill is more than ready to start and might as well trade Parker for a good big man/wing player.

SpursEvolution
06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow Bosh? Wouldn't know how but I'll take it. S&T maybe for Parker. IMO I still don't like us trading Parker, unless it's for lebron I don't do it. Parker gets into the lane at will when healthy. I like Hill,Parker,Manu combo. A bench is key in playoffs. If any Philly fans in here, wat bout RJ for Elton Brand? Thoughts

td0tsfinest
06-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Well the Spurs need to make a change and Parker seems like the most reasonable person to trade. He's still a very good player, one of the best scoring PGs in the league and he could definitely would retrieve the most.

Don't take it the wrong way, but I think trading Jefferson for Brand would not make any sense at all. You're giving up an expiring $15 million contract guy for a player that still has 3 seasons left on his contract. If that was the only trade available, I rather keep RJ for the year.

Hellcrooner
06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
If by big name you mean big name and not big Game

yes if im shaq i woudl be HEAVILY considering the spurs and if i were the suprs i woudl heavily consider Shaq

SpursEvolution
06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Ya well you said a change is needed now right? Tp/Manu/Timmy/Brand/Hill. Sounds good. Gets a big next to Timmy