PDA

View Full Version : How much more does Kobe Bryant really have in the tank?

Boston Faithful
06-20-2010, 03:21 AM
People say Jordan won his 6th title at 35, but people are forgetful. That was in 1998, 14 seasons after he came into the league. Remove the two seasons of baseball, he played a mere 12 by 1998.

That would have been Kobe Bryant's season total 2 years ago. Kobe is one of the two best players in the game right now, but he's put on ALOT of mileage. 14 seasons, all those minutes? He's played just as much as Jordan did in his career. And by the way, I've seen a bunch of anti-Jordan, pro-Kobe fans on this forum say Jordan played an "old" Magic in his first Finals win. Old? Magic Johnson was the same age in the 1991 Finals as Kobe is now.

There's no way Kobe's going to be able to keep up this pace for 4 more years. I think he starts slowing down next year. At 35, Kobe would have played 18 seasons. A 35-year-old Kobe and 35-year-old Michael are two completely different players. Kobe is not going to be as close to as good as Jordan was at that age. And can you honestly imagine 38-year-old Kobe (when Jordan came back in 2001-2002) after 21 SEASONS really even being a 20 point scorer anymore? Hardly.

What do you think? I say next season he starts slowing down, but is still an elite player. By 34, he'll be down to 22-23 points per game.

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:26 AM
A lot. It's not like he's a Vince Carter that relied on athleticism his whole career. He has the best jumpshot and offensive arsenal in the league, that will be with him till he's 50. It's when his knees give in, and so far they're doing OK. He's slowing down, but he's still going to be a damn good scorer because of his outside game

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:27 AM
The only concern is that knee. He has to do something this summer to take care of it. No olympics in 2012, and unfortunately this yr and 2014, no world championships. He has to rehab that knee and of course, take care of his 3 jacked up fingers on his right hand.

He will play at this level for the next 2 yrs, and then start falling off.

tdunk21
06-20-2010, 03:29 AM
2 years maybe

PrettyBoyJ
06-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Seeing that he's goin to take care of his knee and fingers Kobe is finally gonna be healthy.. He's been playing with that finger for almost 3 years now.. I think once Kobe gets healthy his game will show significant change but In a postirive way

hugepatsfan
06-20-2010, 03:44 AM
enough

kblo247
06-20-2010, 03:46 AM
5-7 years of being an all star with 3 of those years still being superstar worthy. He will add more tricks and skills and rest during summers from now on according to him.

Hell people knock him, but he averaged 27, 5, and 5 hurt all year and 28, 8, and 4 in the finals with a knee that needs to be scoped and index finger that needs surgery.

Before the OP goes there about the age led to the knee injury, don't. You would have suffered an injury as well if Elton Brand rolled up on the back of your ankle, Lamar Odom stepped on the side of it, Josh Smith stepped on the side of it, and while playing on said hurt ankle Richard Jefferson trips over his own 2 feet and falls down on the back of your legs with his whole body while you are running a fast break.

Another thing people aren't factoring in is that Kobe was hurt this year like he has historically gotten hurt because he played primary backup SF. When he doesn't have to be the backup SF he tends to stay relatively healthy body wise (except the fingers) and Mitch knows that, but he couldn't possibly foresee Walton developing an early form of arthritis of the spine before 30 to prevent that wear and tear on him.

Kevj77
06-20-2010, 03:52 AM
As a Lakers fan 3-4 years at a high level, Kobe already shows signs of age. He hasn't been dunking much the last few years you can already see he has lost some lift. He can continue to play because he has worked on his all-around game. Kobe has post move, good footwork, and a mid-range game. It's only because of his all around game.

I think minutes are more important then years. It's like carries for a NFL RB. People say they break down at 30, but look at Tiki Barber who played well into his 30's. He didn't play as much when he was young. The body can only take so much punishment.

Catoblepas
06-20-2010, 04:01 AM
Kobe will be fine as long as he doesnt have to carry the lakers through out the season... I wouldnt be suprised to see him playing well in 5 years from now if bynum becomes a force.. I think he would still be an all star scoring 20 pts a game.. He is such a skilled player that even if he can take over a game with scoring.. he can still impact it in other ways.

Akshay
06-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Kobe is fine, but him and the coaching staff may decide to limit him to around 32-36 minutes per game, to prevent game, and he can still have alot in the tank left for the long run.

Cammy13
06-20-2010, 04:05 AM
3 years

Cammy13
06-20-2010, 04:05 AM
maybe 4

Gators123
06-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Three years max.

heatbb
06-20-2010, 04:31 AM
3yrs of superstar status but much more as an elite player. Like stawka said, he doesn't rely only on his athleticism. He's terrific all around.

shep33
06-20-2010, 04:39 AM
4 years. People forget how much he's played over the past few years. Olympics, training with the Olympic team, 3 straight final appearance (very deep playoff runs where he plays heavy minutes).

This season he had to play more minutes while hurt b/c the bench was very inconsistent throughout the year. A summer's rest will be huge, plus just getting another couple players that can drop his minutes by 2-3 minutes is huge. Guy played hurt all year long and put up superstar numbers. He's getting knee surgery and finger surgery which will obviously help him too.

I think he's solidified his best player in the league status after this postseason, a guy with that type of killer instict and just his Will to win can keep him playing at a high level.

He scores a lot easier too now, doesn't have to expend lots of energy, besides the amazing Celtics defense, but still the guy can average 30+ if he wanted to. Put it this way, a guy that scores 61 points a year ago, and shoots lights out averaging 30+ in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs with 50% shooting, and around 40% from three can still play.

JNA17
06-20-2010, 04:47 AM
5-7 years, you can quote me on it if you want.

_KB24_
06-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Ok, I just want to lay this out their. Jordan supposedly played "12 years" in the NBA, which is Kobe from two years ago. But is college ball back then comparable to the NBA? So when they say that Jordan only played so and so, wouldn't the college game have just as much affect on him? Keep in mind Jordan was a star at UNC and played heavy minutes, while Kobe was sparingly used his first2-3 seasons.

Kevj77
06-20-2010, 05:26 AM
College doesn't compare to NBA minutes. Jordan didn't even play huge minutes as a freshman in college. It was Worthy's team the year they won the national title.

SouljahPhil...
06-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Until his contract is over...

jaji10
06-20-2010, 06:28 AM
3 more years of competitive ball from kobe... he's not a slasher or dunker anymore, he is perimeter guy now..

rjvacad
06-20-2010, 06:34 AM
The Lakers will get another younger PG and a better bench which will allow them to rest both Kobe and DFish allot more. I can see a someone that has seen Artest go from sitting at home watching the finals to taking less money and winning his 1st ring. A gamble I think everyone is happy with. Some else will want to be the new Artest and win a ring. After all, who wouldn't want to be part of 3Peat time? I say, as long as the Lakers continue to give him and Pau good players to play with, Kobe and Pau both will play good though 2014. If I wasn't a Laker fan, I'd be worried about how good can the Lakers really be? I just don't see you coming up with a tougher game 7 and the Lakers tough it out!! :speechless:

B.JenningsMVP
06-20-2010, 06:38 AM
quoted

Big Quett
06-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Ok, I just want to lay this out their. Jordan supposedly played "12 years" in the NBA, which is Kobe from two years ago. But is college ball back then comparable to the NBA? So when they say that Jordan only played so and so, wouldn't the college game have just as much affect on him? Keep in mind Jordan was a star at UNC and played heavy minutes, while Kobe was sparingly used his first2-3 seasons.

In a word NO. Its not even close. Playing 30 maybe 35 games at the most doesnt compare to the grueling NBA schedule of playing 82 games in 6 months. Back to backs, 4 games in 5 days. Different city everyday. And an extra 20 games of postseason play. The Lakers played like what 113 games this year? Compared to 35 at best?

College kids play like 2 games a week. 3 at the max. And the only time they play more than that is at conference and tournament time. Just take my Memphis Tigers during the like 18 games of conference play they only play Wednesday and Saturday every damn week.

Dude its not even almost close.

magichatnumber9
06-20-2010, 06:54 AM
3 years of declining elite play. Sounds about right

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-20-2010, 06:55 AM
LOL another anti-kobe thread from OP

but I say 4 years

Penetra8r
06-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Hes a well conditioned athlete, I say he will go 2 to 3 more years.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 08:49 AM

I can see that. he's in perfect shape and when he gets his knee/fingers fixed, that will just had more to his tank. Kobe is a very competitive person and we all know he chasing for "7"rings.

Raidaz4Life
06-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I think if he takes time off to get healthy, he has 5-6 good years left in him at over 21 PPG.

Boston Faithful
06-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, it seems like normal fans think 2-3 years and all the Kobe and Laker fans say 5-7 (wishful thinking). Yeah, Kobe will be an elite player when he's 38-years=old. Right.

So in non-biased opinion world, we'll say about 2-3 years.

Raidaz4Life
06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, it seems like normal fans think 2-3 years and all the Kobe and Laker fans say 5-7 (wishful thinking). Yeah, Kobe will be an elite player when he's 38-years=old. Right.

I don't think any Lakers fans think he will be an Elite player at 38 but he can definitely still be a starter for us. You seem to forget he is probably the best conditioned athlete in the league.

JasonJohnHorn
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd say Kobe has a solid 5 years of all-star play. He has worked on his post game this season to give him more weapons that don't depend on speed and athleticism. His jump shot is better than its every been and his conditioning and work ethic is as impressive as anybody who ever played the game, and that include Karl Malone, Jordan, Stockton and Kareem.

Which is all to bad for me because I don't even like the guy.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
playing great basketball 1 more year.

putting up 25 a game

untl he retires.

he will shoot as much as he needs to get it done.

So th question is how long till lakers start sucking becuase of kobe?

kntresistheheat
06-20-2010, 10:59 AM
For the sake of all the other team's out there, Hopefully not much! As long he is kicking, you would have to think of him possibly meeting him in the finals. He is one of the greatest players and he keeps his body going Jordan did, Jordan rely so much on training and getting his body in shape for that year and takes it one year at a time.

LALakersKC
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
3 more years I say...

sean17c
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
ehh jordan dropped 50 at 40

drobe86
06-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe another year or so. Hes lost a step speed wise, and his athleticism is below average at this point.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM
1-2 more years of top 5 play. I figure at some point down the line, he actually hurts the Lakers.

Chacarron
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM

I highly doubt your opinion is non-biased, probably as biased as Lakers fans since you are a Boston faithful. I really hope for 5 good years from Kobe, but seeing how he is over 30, anything he gives the Lakers for the next few years will do for me.

gwrighter
06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
i really don't think his body can handle the physical play for too much longer. As we saw in the last game of the playoffs, the C's were being rough with him and he had a hard time converting on offense. He seems to be loosing his strength and relying heavily on the ref's to bail him out. He will be a great regular season player but i don't know how many playoff runs he has left in him. Maybe 2 more legitimate chances at winning the title.

gwrighter
06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
ehh jordan dropped 50 at 40

he's not jordan.

Tony_Starks
06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
He's the best conditioned, most well rounded player in the game. He can easily do at least another 4 years at best player in the game status.

When he does start to decline he'll just rely more on his jumpshot, midpost game like MJ. He also has the advantage of having a younger Gasol, Bynum and LO he can defer to at different points in the season....

avrpatsfan
06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
2 years maybe
:facepalm:

kobe24>lebron23
06-20-2010, 01:30 PM
he's not jordan.im

closest thing there will ever be too him though... an in my mind kobes a better offensive player

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 01:30 PM
He's the best conditioned, most well rounded player in the game. He can easily do at least another 4 years at best player in the game status.

When he does start to decline he'll just rely more on his jumpshot, midpost game like MJ. He also has the advantage of having a younger Gasol, Bynum and LO he can defer to at different points in the season....

he has already started to decline.
But yes, as long as he has the help to sustain a highly winning team without having to carry them in the regular season, he will have a nice gradual decline

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 01:31 PM
im

closest thing there will ever be too him though... an in my mind kobes a better offensive player

cmon man. Really? While there will always be similarities, Jordan scored at higher efficiency rates, in an era where you could actually manhandle players on the perimeter. While I will argue Kobe is 2nd to MJ in SG's, its not exactly a close 2nd.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 01:32 PM
he has already cemented himself as a top 10 player. How high will he climb? Top 5? We will see over the next few years I would guess

jackdawson
06-20-2010, 01:52 PM
2 more years.

shep33
06-20-2010, 01:54 PM
People forget that he has been playing just about non stop basketball for the past 3 years. He's played more ball than anybody else in the league for that matter. 3 straight Finals appearances, so obviously they're playing deeper in the playoffs than anybody else, Kobe played 23 more games due to the long post season run, and again for 3 years. Within those3 years he had to train with the Olympic team, and played in Beijing after again NBA final appearances. That's a lot of work to put in, the rest and the surgery will help him big time.

I really think he's gonna be stronger next season during the regular season barring a freak injury that he had with his finger.

Even after game 7 he was talking about fixing up his knee and finger. He played this season with multiple injuries, and gutted it out in the playoffs.

madiaz3
06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
i really don't think his body can handle the physical play for too much longer. As we saw in the last game of the playoffs, the C's were being rough with him and he had a hard time converting on offense. He seems to be loosing his strength and relying heavily on the ref's to bail him out. He will be a great regular season player but i don't know how many playoff runs he has left in him. Maybe 2 more legitimate chances at winning the title.

???

His usual jumpshots were flat in game 7. Had nothing to do with roughness or him being worn out...

madiaz3
06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
cmon man. Really? While there will always be similarities, Jordan scored at higher efficiency rates, in an era where you could actually manhandle players on the perimeter. While I will argue Kobe is 2nd to MJ in SG's, its not exactly a close 2nd.

Yeah, but you can argue that defenses have become more complex in the modern era and that Kobe would relish all of the isolation one and one basketball that Jordan was lucky to have. Boston's zone defense of 08 was one of the best defenses of all time. I don't get why people are assuming Kobe couldn't take the same hits as players in the mid 90's?

BkOriginalOne
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
2-3 years of being top 3.
he should retire early though, so he can go out in his prime.

SA5195
06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I think we'll see this seasons Kobe for about 3-5 years. His IQ taking over his athleticism.

RipVW
06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but you can argue that defenses have become more complex in the modern era and that Kobe would relish all of the isolation one and one basketball that Jordan was lucky to have. Boston's zone defense of 08 was one of the best defenses of all time. I don't get why people are assuming Kobe couldn't take the same hits as players in the mid 90's?

You must be young.

kozelkid
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Here's a suggestion, if you don't know what you are talking about, then well don't go into the discussion.
I've seen this garbage posted way too many times in this forums.
I recommend watching these 2 videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXwAhMVb1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5auPSMaD3vE&feature=related

Just because zone defenses weren't allowed, doesn't mean teams still didn't do them. Rules weren't very strict on them... Sort of like flopping.

And considering you are a Knicks fan, you should ashamed of calling Boston the best of all time, when you have a team like the Knicks. Who also had Tom Thibodeau btw.

Stay_Swim
06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
It really doesn't matter at this point. It's not about how much HE as an individual has. He has a team around him, and simply having Kobe on the court gives them a significant chance of winning it all.

gwrighter
06-20-2010, 03:34 PM
???

His usual jumpshots were flat in game 7. Had nothing to do with roughness or him being worn out...

His shot was flat in result of the physical play. The only way your jumpshot is flat is if you don't quite have the lift from your legs right? So he was either worn out or roughed up. In any case, his game is beginning to revolve around jumpshots and drawing fouls. He takes it to the rim but no longer with force, looking more to draw the fouls. His knees are taking a beating, 14 seasons are killer.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

oh by no means do I think he COULDN'T have, we just know Jordan DID.
And the defenses now have had to become more complex, because they call it different. And Jordan's TS%, and his eFG% were insane for the amount of shots and usage he had. Which is what seperates him from anyone else, including Kobe. His offensive rating, defensive rating, PER, win shares, everything, was better than Kobe all along the line. And that is with his 2 years in Washington dragging those numbers down.
Look, Kobe is arguably the closest thing to Jordan as far as a SG who dominated. In fact, there really isn't an argument anymore. But my point is, its not a close second really.

kozelkid
06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
oh by no means do I think he COULDN'T have, we just know Jordan DID.
And the defenses now have had to become more complex, because they call it different. And Jordan's TS%, and his eFG% were insane for the amount of shots and usage he had. Which is what seperates him from anyone else, including Kobe. His offensive rating, defensive rating, PER, win shares, everything, was better than Kobe all along the line. And that is with his 2 years in Washington dragging those numbers down.
Look, Kobe is arguably the closest thing to Jordan as far as a SG who dominated. In fact, there really isn't an argument anymore. But my point is, its not a close second really.

Agreed on all accounts.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
as far as MJ/Kobe, they are way more similar defensively than they are offensively. Jordan was a machine that has not been matched. LeBron is close, but until his regular seasons translate into the playoffs, it really doesn't matter in the least. There is no debating MJ as the best player of all time imo. Anyone who says otherwise is either very young, or beyond biased to their teams from the 70-80's.

DisturbedFTW83
06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't ever remember Kobe having that injury plagued season where they had to shut him down and let someone step in for him. he'll still be that guy, regardless, in the years to come with him in the league and other great role players, he won't have to hustle so much and can score at will while having reliable defense behind him. (for example: this year) I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the league for 20 years. As much as I don't like Kobe personally, I respect what he does on the court, he's just too good. So I'll say, 4-5 years we'll see a decline in his offense.

still1ballin
06-20-2010, 03:59 PM
As long as he takes care of his body and monitor his minutes during the season from now, he has at least a good 5+ years.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 04:14 PM
do Laker fans, or any fans in general, really think Kobe will be a top 5 player in 2015? Cmon now. He is already on a gradual decline. He just has a lot of help to hold the fort down until he needs to take over. His advanced stats were the same this year as his 2-3rd years. He is coming back down on the curve now. There is nothing wrong with that, he has played 1400 freakin games. He will be an elite player for a couple more years, then slowly become that player who picks his spots.
This is not a criticism in the least. Most players with 1400 games can't do what Kobe does. But even he is already feeling the effects of those games on his body. Its only a matter of time

central2003
06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
At the rate and level he plays another 3 years.. then he will still be good just averaging 20 points a game.. then retirement.

Jeff559
06-20-2010, 04:25 PM
4years as a top three player, and probably an all star until he is 40. While he is athleticly gifted, he is one of those players that is so skilled that he will succeed after he shows signs of slowing down ala john stockton, steve nash type of player.

kozelkid
06-20-2010, 04:28 PM
as far as MJ/Kobe, they are way more similar defensively than they are offensively. Jordan was a machine that has not been matched. LeBron is close, but until his regular seasons translate into the playoffs, it really doesn't matter in the least. There is no debating MJ as the best player of all time imo. Anyone who says otherwise is either very young, or beyond biased to their teams from the 70-80's.

Just looking statistically, Lebron has been the closest thing to Jordan the first 7 years in this league (not in style similarity, but in general in pure dominance). However, with Lebron I worry about his drive as opposed to guys like Bird, Jordan and kobe. Additionally, I wonder how will Lebron perform in this league as his athleticism diminishes. In this area I'd say I would have been more concerned last season than this season. Mainly cause he has improved his shooting quite a bit. However, the main thing Lebron will have to add if he wants to play well into his 30s like Kobe or Jordan is a post game. He does sometimes, and has increased it more this season, but he will have to do it even more soon.

heathonater
06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
depends on how well he takes care of his body and the amount of rest he takes during the offseason. he's getting to the point where he has to be more careful about his training regiment and consider cutting back a little bit in order to preserve himself for the season. if i were the lakers, i would do everything i could to convince him to not play in the olympics 2012, but i doubt kobe will do that.

thekmp211
06-20-2010, 04:52 PM
threads like this are so pointless.

who knows? he could stay healthy and play for another 6-7 years at mostly a high level. he will be able to score 20 a game as long as he stays healthy.

the injuries could catch up to him or he could get another injury and quickly decline to the point that he doesn't want to play any more.

he could retire tomorrow.

he could be the first guy to play til 50.

just enjoy watching him.

roshan3ai
06-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know. It depends when he last filled up and what kind of car he drives

RedRicanoBx
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Idk but Kobe will not win any more rings after this free agency....

Jays Claw
06-20-2010, 05:32 PM
He has enough.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know. It depends when he last filled up and what kind of car he drives

He is right, what kind of car does he have?

footballer2369
06-20-2010, 05:39 PM

hes already declining....

i'm sure he can play for quite a bit more but not as effectgively....see mj wizards

kblo247
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
His shot was flat in result of the physical play. The only way your jumpshot is flat is if you don't quite have the lift from your legs right? So he was either worn out or roughed up. In any case, his game is beginning to revolve around jumpshots and drawing fouls. He takes it to the rim but no longer with force, looking more to draw the fouls. His knees are taking a beating, 14 seasons are killer.

Him running a mile at 6AM that morning and going shooting had something to with the shot being flat. Ireland said on Mason and Ireland that Vanessa said Kobe was up all day the day before game 7 and was trying to burn off energy.

He broke the cardinal rule of not putting in work on game day

kblo247
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
do Laker fans, or any fans in general, really think Kobe will be a top 5 player in 2015? Cmon now. He is already on a gradual decline. He just has a lot of help to hold the fort down until he needs to take over. His advanced stats were the same this year as his 2-3rd years. He is coming back down on the curve now. There is nothing wrong with that, he has played 1400 freakin games. He will be an elite player for a couple more years, then slowly become that player who picks his spots.
This is not a criticism in the least. Most players with 1400 games can't do what Kobe does. But even he is already feeling the effects of those games on his body. Its only a matter of time

You lost all your credibility when you said Ron Artest was a bad signing and couldn't help LA win. Your mouth should be full of crow after game 7 watching him be the best player on the court and hoisting that trophy.

So just shush until you can actually admit you made a fool of yourself because until then there is no objectivity just baseless and inept bias on your part

The Jokemaker
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
He's done. I'd trade him for two draft picks and a young SG. Gasol is the true great player on that team and the real reason the lakers won that series. How he isn't the MVP is beyond me.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
You lost all your credibility when you said Ron Artest was a bad signing and couldn't help LA win. Your mouth should be full of crow after game 7 watching him be the best player on the court and hoisting that trophy.

So just shush until you can actually admit you made a fool of yourself because until then there is no objectivity just baseless and inept bias on your part

haha, another 17 year old Laker fan. Artest shows up one game, and you all crown him king. hahaha. Typical
Again, words put in my mouth. The very fact that those of you who have blue/gold lenses on your eyes at all times on this site hate me means I am doing something right. I used statistics and style of play to prove my point, and it was proven. Artest did not have a good year for the Lakers, period. He showed up in game 7. I guess you decided to erase games 1-99....

kblo247
06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
-You didn't see games 1 and 6 versus Boston.
-Game 3 versus Utah
-The OKC series
-Him play Joe Johnson in Staples
-Him play Carmelo in their last homes game versus the Nuggets
-Him versus Miami on the road

So don't give me that bull **** because you don't know what you are talking about, and you were so foolishly reliant on stats that you ignored that he was hurt this year. You were made a fool of and you are trying to cover it up now, and at the end of the day what you have to say about the subject means jack **** as he shut down the 08 finals MVP and helped his team win a ring.

Get out of here with that bull **** you are spewing because the fact is what you said bit you in the *** and you looked like a damn fool after the results of those finals.

cypherthor
06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I think Kobe is not done yet... people forget these playoffs he was recovering from an injury... I bet next year's playoffs he is more effective than this one.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
-You didn't see games 1 and 6 versus Boston.
-Game 3 versus Utah
-The OKC series
-Him play Joe Johnson in Staples
-Him play Carmelo in their last homes game versus the Nuggets
-Him versus Miami on the road

So don't give me that bull **** because you don't know what you are talking about, and you were so foolishly reliant on stats that you ignored that he was hurt this year. You were made a fool of and you are trying to cover it up now, and at the end of the day what you have to say about the subject means jack **** as he shut down the 08 finals MVP and helped his team win a ring.

Get out of here with that bull **** you are spewing because the fact is what you said bit you in the *** and you looked like a damn fool after the results of those finals.

No, I am right. He had some random games where he was Artest. But as a whole, he had a very bad season. His defense was acceptable, his offense horrendous, and that is not debateable homie.
I am sorry to burst your bubble. I am aware you are all on a high at the moment, and short term memory is kicking hardcore right now, but Artest did NOT have a good season. Fortunately, your depth covered his offense, and he came through in a timely matter, so you don't have to whine about him.
And I stand by my point. I am involved in threads involving all teams/players, etc. Do I make wrong predictions? Yep. So does everyone. But I am fair, rational, and unbiased. If you don't like my opinions, so be it. But I haven't lost credibility, I continue to grow it everyday I am on here bro.
You are an angry young man/girl, aren't you today. I can see you sitting in front of the TV, watching Artest hit shots he has bricked all year, thinking about Hawkeye. Sad

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 06:55 PM
you are exactly the kind of Laker fan that gets people hating your team. Remember that

kblo247
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
No, I am right. He had some random games where he was Artest. But as a whole, he had a very bad season. His defense was acceptable, his offense horrendous, and that is not debateable homie.
I am sorry to burst your bubble. I am aware you are all on a high at the moment, and short term memory is kicking hardcore right now, but Artest did NOT have a good season. Fortunately, your depth covered his offense, and he came through in a timely matter, so you don't have to whine about him.
And I stand by my point. I am involved in threads involving all teams/players, etc. Do I make wrong predictions? Yep. So does everyone. But I am fair, rational, and unbiased. If you don't like my opinions, so be it. But I haven't lost credibility, I continue to grow it everyday I am on here bro.
You are an angry young man/girl, aren't you today. I can see you sitting in front of the TV, watching Artest hit shots he has bricked all year, thinking about Hawkeye. Sad

Learn How To Type. Then get back to me ;)

rjvacad
06-20-2010, 07:07 PM

This Laker and Kobe fan and I did not say, 5 to 7 years, lumping us all together again. :facepalm:

lakerssssssss
06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
People say Jordan won his 6th title at 35, but people are forgetful. That was in 1998, 14 seasons after he came into the league. Remove the two seasons of baseball, he played a mere 12 by 1998.

That would have been Kobe Bryant's season total 2 years ago. Kobe is one of the two best players in the game right now, but he's put on ALOT of mileage. 14 seasons, all those minutes? He's played just as much as Jordan did in his career. And by the way, I've seen a bunch of anti-Jordan, pro-Kobe fans on this forum say Jordan played an "old" Magic in his first Finals win. Old? Magic Johnson was the same age in the 1991 Finals as Kobe is now.

There's no way Kobe's going to be able to keep up this pace for 4 more years. I think he starts slowing down next year. At 35, Kobe would have played 18 seasons. A 35-year-old Kobe and 35-year-old Michael are two completely different players. Kobe is not going to be as close to as good as Jordan was at that age. And can you honestly imagine 38-year-old Kobe (when Jordan came back in 2001-2002) after 21 SEASONS really even being a 20 point scorer anymore? Hardly.

What do you think? I say next season he starts slowing down, but is still an elite player. By 34, he'll be down to 22-23 points per game.

You are pathetic. Your team lost the finals, get over it.How many threads are you going to make to bash kobe. WE know you hate kobe already.

Just a short list of the anti kobe threads you made

why does kobe downplay everything?
why kobe will never be the goat
the lakers won't win a championship riding kobe like this
are you kidding, kobe bryant
it was confirmed tonight, kobe is a massive ball hog, and on and on and on.

and btw you lost all credibility when you made the pathetic thread will the lakers beat the thunder?

rjvacad
06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Maybe another year or so. Hes lost a step speed wise, and his athleticism is below average at this point.

Dream on!

lakerssssssss
06-20-2010, 07:13 PM

His defense in the playoffs was more than acceptable, and playoffs are all that count. You also can't discount the fact that the laker team as a whole improved their defense once artest was on the team.

rjvacad
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
you are exactly the kind of Laker fan that gets people hating your team. Remember that

And you're a Laker/Kobe hater, that can't say anything without insulting others and shows how full of hate you are.

lakerssssssss
06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
threads like this are so pointless.

who knows? he could stay healthy and play for another 6-7 years at mostly a high level. he will be able to score 20 a game as long as he stays healthy.

the injuries could catch up to him or he could get another injury and quickly decline to the point that he doesn't want to play any more.

he could retire tomorrow.

he could be the first guy to play til 50.

just enjoy watching him.

:clap::clap:

Bruno
06-20-2010, 07:24 PM

I dono Koblo- Artest came through when the Lakers needed him and he was the hero of game 7, and game 5 against PHO. With that being said, he did have serious offensive struggles all year long. He made big shots in game seven, but he was still under 30% from three, and under 40% from the field in the playoffs. Those are really inefficient % from the guy who is supposed to spread the floor to give our guys some room in the paint. IMO his struggles from 3 is why we struggled in the paint (pretty much every loss in the playoffs). That's a pretty drastic drop off from Arizas shooting numbers in 2009.

I think theres a way to reconcile these different opinions. Hawkeye or myself, or anyone else who questioned the Artest signing doesn't lose all credibility, thats not really fair. Ariza had a higher PER and double the win shares Artest had this season in 2009. IMO the Lakers would have done it with Ariza as well. Ariza is also 24, Artest is 30, that's a big deal. I think the questions people had regarding Artest were fair and legitimate.

Ultimately Artest showed his worth and the Lakers repeated.

RaiderLakersA's
06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Kobe has 3 years to compete at a high level, I think. If the Lakers sign a "career extender" like Melo, Durant, LeBron, Wade or some top notch player like that in the next 2 years, Kobe can go 4-5. He can also go 4-5 if Bynum or Pau take their games to the next level, stay healthy and dominate.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
I will leave it at this, since its like talking to children. The Lakers defense got better this regular season due to paint protection, meaning Bynum's effect finally being felt, as well as their defensive rebounding getting better.
Now, to Artest. His playoff performance was horrible. Talk all you want about his defense, the Lakers length is the reason their defense flourished. Artest had the 2nd worst defensive rating of his playoff career this season, and even with the trees behind him, couldn't manage a full defensive win share. He was so bad offensively, his PER barely hit double digits. So don't BS me about Artest being key outside one game essentially.
And call me whatever you like. Hater is thrown around by some of you Laker fans for anyone who doesn't subscribe to the Laker coolaid. I will chat all day with rational Laker fans, such as Bruno above, but the rest of you can sit here smirking and telling everyone I told you so, and continue to act like your 16th birthday party is right around the corner
Peace

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Learn How To Type. Then get back to me ;)

killer response dude. But, expected from someone in junior high

The Jokemaker
06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah I gotta say Artest stepped it up in the playoffs. I remember in the Suns series he had a game winner that definitely changed the scope of the series. I don't think he had the best regular season but in the postseason he definitely stepped it up and played well. Maybe not allstar stellar but well.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Artest
10.8 PER
TS%- 47
RR- 6.6
Offrtg-105
Defrtg-100
Def win shares- .7

amazing playoff performance...

he had 3 games worth a crap, one of which came at the best possible time. But don't tell me he was good in the playoffs please. Open your eyes

showtym24
06-20-2010, 07:57 PM

What do you think? I hope next season he starts slowing down, but is still an elite player. By 34, he'll be down to 22-23 points per game.

Fixed. He is not gonna slow down production wise. The greats like him, mike and many others adjust as their bodies slow down. Kobe still does and will have the best footwork until the day he hangs em up.

kblo247
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
The problem that you are still to blind to say is that you ar so overly reliant on stats like Hollinger who was wrong as 2 left shoes as well.

You are too narrow minded to understand that when you watch a guy play from his first preseason to last postseason game you have an understanding of his ups and downs. If you actually took the time to watch you would see the guy who played PF while Pau was out to start the year. You would see the guy who defended great till January when he had plantar fashitis in both feet. You would see the guy who stepped up before the break while Kobe was out. You would see the guy who started to come into his own during March and was hitting 3s at a 40% clip before hurting his hands against the Heat. You would see a guy who struggled with his shot afterward, but locked Durant down. You would see the guy who upped his scoring and shooting averages round by round throughout the western playoffs. You would see a guy who locked Pierce down for every game but 1 when it was time to decide who would win or lose, and you would see the guy who was the best player on the court in the last game for a ring. You would see a guy who outplayed Ariza last regular season and this regular season as well as a guy who did his job which wasn't to be a 20, 5, and 5 player but to be the primary defender, add toughness, and hoodalize the Lakers enough to make sure that they could never be called soft again.

Hawkeye, if you would just open your eyes you would actually be able to see reality and not just empirical values expressed in numbers that were proven to have no bearing on actually winning the title because Artest is a champion.

Too bad you aren't man enough to cop out to the fact that what you said and that data by Hollinger who last I checked was wrong about LA repeating says was wrong as long as that ring says Ron Artest - 2010 NBA champion.

Go curl up to your calculator, pump out your stat sheets, and quote Hollinger's analysis all you want but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is if Artest did his job well enough and last I checked he helped LA beat Boston and win a title so that means he did.

Quasimoto
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Wack Thread.

RaiderLakersA's
06-20-2010, 08:08 PM
The problem that you are still to blind to say is that you ar so overly reliant on stats like Hollinger who was wrong as 2 left shoes as well.

You are too narrow minded to understand that when you watch a guy play from his first preseason to last postseason game you have an understanding of his ups and downs. If you actually took the time to watch you would see the guy who played PF while Pau was out to start the year. You would see the guy who defended great till January when he had plantar fashitis in both feet. You would see the guy who stepped up before the break while Kobe was out. You would see the guy who started to come into his own during March and was hitting 3s at a 40% clip before hurting his hands against the Heat. You would see a guy who struggled with his shot afterward, but locked Durant down. You would see the guy who upped his scoring and shooting averages round by round throughout the western playoffs. You would see a guy who locked Pierce down for every game but 1 when it was time to decide who would win or lose, and you would see the guy who was the best player on the court in the last game for a ring. You would see a guy who outplayed Ariza last regular season and this regular season as well as a guy who did his job which wasn't to be a 20, 5, and 5 player but to be the primary defender, add toughness, and hoodalize the Lakers enough to make sure that they could never be called soft again.

Hawkeye, if you would just open your eyes you would actually be able to see reality and not just empirical values expressed in numbers that were proven to have no bearing on actually winning the title because Artest is a champion.

Too bad you aren't man enough to cop out to the fact that what you said and that data by Hollinger who last I checked was wrong about LA repeating says was wrong as long as that ring says Ron Artest - 2010 NBA champion.

Go curl up to your calculator, pump out your stat sheets, and quote Hollinger's analysis all you want but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is if Artest did his job well enough and last I checked he helped LA beat Boston and win a title so that means he did.

Well said. :clap:

Ron is just now starting to find himself within the flow of the Lakers' scheme. He had to think more, instead of simply playing/reacting. Even with that handicap, he was a beast, defensively. Given one more season of experience, he's bound to be even better at his role.

showtym24
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
6 years

iggypop123
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
3 elite years 2 diminshed years. when kobe plays injured he still manages to win. the second lebron got hurt he started to suck

IndiansFan337
06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
He will play at least 4-5 more years.

He isn't as athletic as he used to be, but he still gets it done.

The media made a big deal about his "new post up game" earlier in this season. Stuff like that will keep him going for a few more years.

As long as they are a championship contender I do not think he will hang it up.

crewfan13
06-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I really think they are goign to need to add another scorer. He won't be able to play at this pace much longer. He still going to be a stud in the fourth quarter. I think if LA can add a young scorer, who can step up in the 1st thru 3rd quarters and take some of the scoring load off Kobe. Kobe will still be able to dominate in the 4th quarter and take over in crunch time but he'll need to be decently rested and at least fairly fresh in order to do that.

Look at the Celtics this year. They rested in the regular season and they were able to make a playoff push. Plus they had guys like Rondo, Big Baby, Perkins and others to take some of the scoring load off the big three so they weren't worn out come postseason. I think Kobe needs that same kind of situation.

RapOZo
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM
14 seasons! damn,
feels like it all started 3-4 years ago

hopefully some surgeries will give him a boost to play at a high level for 3-4 more seasons, after that he should retire;
as a Lakers and Kobe fan, I wouldn't enjoy watching 38 yr old Kobe struggling to get 16 pts, would be just sad.

td0tsfinest
06-20-2010, 11:39 PM
At this level, probably 3 more years. As a career, I say he'll retire when he's 37-38.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2010, 03:08 AM
statistics only show what the eye sees, but misses. So after game 6, when the majority of Laker fans are calling Artest all sorts of names, and now want to tell me how great he was all year, when game tape and statistics tell you otherwise, are wrong. Period. He sucked this year. Get over it.
I actually watch every team in the NBA many times a year, the Lakers at least 20 times, or I shouldn't be talking about them.
Its cool. I will give you a few weeks to get over your fist pumping biased, and maybe then we can talk about how you plan to mask Artest next season....

boriquaabe
06-21-2010, 03:47 AM
Using Mike as a measuring stick since the 2 are considered "similar":

Mike's minutes played: 48,484
Kobe's minutes played: 45,117

Kobe's games played including playoffs: 1,219
Mike's games played including playoffs: 1,251

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 05:45 AM
At this level? maybe 3 years. He will still be a 20 point threat for another 2 years after that. Then...I really dont know. It depends on his health and the team.

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 05:46 AM
I honestly hope he loses all fire for the game and hangs em' up before the season starts. :P

drobe86
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
kobes done. I give him 2 more seasons above 20 pts per game. After that he will be slower and less athletic than he is now. Hes on a steady decline right now, hes always hurt, constantly complaining to refs about fouls. If you cant see hes on decline now you're just in plain denial.....

RaiderLakersA's
06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Look at the Celtics this year. They rested in the regular season and they were able to make a playoff push.

Right, except the cautionary tale there is that the Celtics didn't think that they needed HCA in order to win a title, but Game 7 proved them wrong. You need every bit of edge, especially if you're facing a team that is just as gritty and strong-willed as you are. The Celtics had lots of injuries to contend with during the regular season, but if they're healthy next year, something tells me that they'll have learned their lesson, and they won't try that same "conserve until the playoffs" approach.

kobelaughsatall
06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
kobes done. I give him 2 more seasons above 20 pts per game. After that he will be slower and less athletic than he is now. Hes on a steady decline right now, hes always hurt, constantly complaining to refs about fouls. If you cant see hes on decline now you're just in plain denial.....

how is kobe constantly hurt from what I know he had a streak of consecutive games played at the start of the season, he is also one of the most well conditioned athletes in the nba. how the hell is he done? how many athletes do you know can average 30 points on 53% shooting 7 rebounds and 7 assists with a bum knee during the wcf. of course he is on the decline but he sure as hell has more than 2 seasons of great play. he has also never has a significant injury that has cost him alot of games out.

The Jokemaker
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Kobe is going to be around a while, he's improved his jump shot over the years and can beat you with that. He doesn't rely as much on driving to the paint to score like Iverson did. He has been beat up but look at all Grant Hill had to go through and he's still playing great basketball at 38. Kobe will slow down and lose some of his athletic ability but he is still an excellent player and can make any shot on the floor.

thekmp211
06-21-2010, 01:46 PM

first of all, hollinger picked the lakers to win so i dont even know what you're talking about.

second of all, statistics arent the be all end all but artest was not really an asset for the lakers in the playoffs. when you COMBINE the stats with the naked eye you get a complete picture. sometimes a great disruptive defensive force, often times a really bad offensive option. his total contribution to the team was not really all that positive.

the lakers were able to outplay the celtics in the paint, especially rebounding (a celtics weakness) and that was a big reason they lost. artest wasn't crashing the boards.

did he do a good job on pierce? yes, not elite but he played him well.

a ring does not vindicate each players performance. had the celtics won, would you be saying "last time i check ray allen did his job well enough and the celts won the ring?" no, you would say they won in spite of his performance.

artest's overall performance clearly wasn't destructive to the team, but he was no better than the 4th best player on the team at any given time and often times much worse than that.

xbrackattackx
06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
20-30 years maybe 40 if he plays less time,

madiaz3
06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Here's a suggestion, if you don't know what you are talking about, then well don't go into the discussion.
I've seen this garbage posted way too many times in this forums.
I recommend watching these 2 videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXwAhMVb1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5auPSMaD3vE&feature=related

Not even going to address some of the things that really had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Contact goes both ways. I'm only arguing the notion that you assume that some players that get fouled and go to the line now because of handchecking would not be able to play past it in the 90's. Contact goes both ways. Those subtle elbows or pushes to get position or space that players today are called dirty for on offense they are now allowed to do if you go back to old defenses. Are today's players physically weaker? Do you think that once they realize they can get hit that they won't realize they can hit back, both on offense and defense? Are they just dumber than past generations? Your whole argument is predicated on the notion that someone like Kobe would not know how to handle physical play. And there's nothing to suggest that other than a biased point of view. They react to calls because of how the rules are today, if they were different, they would play different.

kozelkid
06-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Not even going to address some of the things that really had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Contact goes both ways. I'm only arguing the notion that you assume that some players that get fouled and go to the line now because of handchecking would not be able to play past it in the 90's. Contact goes both ways. Those subtle elbows or pushes to get position or space that players today are called dirty for on offense they are now allowed to do if you go back to old defenses. Are today's players physically weaker? Do you think that once they realize they can get hit that they won't realize they can hit back, both on offense and defense? Are they just dumber than past generations? Your whole argument is predicated on the notion that someone like Kobe would not know how to handle physical play. And there's nothing to suggest that other than a biased point of view. They react to calls because of how the rules are today, if they were different, they would play different.

Fair enough, my bad.
For some reason I thought you were referring to the fact that MJ didn't face particular zone defenses, which is complete garbage, even though it was against the rules and people want to believe it.

THE MTL
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
I believe KObe is going to show signs of age as early as next season. While, there is a huge debate on Kobe vs. Lebron. I believe next season that it will be more obvious that Lebron is better.

JordansBulls
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/lakers.jsp

Looking at the contracts it appears that Kobe, Gasol and Artest are all signed thru 2014. I expect them all to probably retire at the same time.

ArmLaker
07-14-2013, 02:02 AM

27.3 ppg 5.6 rpg 6.0 apg

YouCan'tBeatLA
07-14-2013, 02:42 AM
[/B]

27.3 ppg 5.6 rpg 6.0 apg

Pwned. :laugh2:

Kashmir13579
07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Not even Kobe knows.

kblo247
07-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Not even Kobe knows.

Somewhere in another dimension Black Mamba and Father Time are still fighting an eternal war

Kashmir13579
07-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Somewhere in another dimension Black Mamba and Father Time are still fighting an eternal war
In this dimension, Black Mamba won.