PDA

View Full Version : Rings or Money

Slimsim
06-20-2010, 12:29 AM
If you was a NBA player in your early 20s What would you desire more and why

1. Winning Multiple Championships and making about 150million at the end of your career.

2. Becoming a billionaire Before the age of 30 but never winning a NBA championship.

Sorry should had worded it a little better.

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
If you was a NBA player in your early 20s What would you desire more and why

1. Winning Multiple Championships

2. Becoming a billionaire Before the age of 30 but never winning a NBA championship.

Aka..

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

;)

asandhu23
06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Rings

Raps08-09 Champ
06-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Depends on 2 things.

How much money do I get winning multiple rings?

And If I go for the money, how much things have I achieved in the NBA(MVPs, ASG's, Finals Appearance, All NBA, etc)

hugepatsfan
06-20-2010, 12:54 AM
1.) enough money to support my family for a long time (family comes first for me)
2.) rings

Lakeshow86
06-20-2010, 01:06 AM
It depends on how much money difference were talking about here. If its only a small difference in money I will take less money for rings. But i guess it depends on the person. there are probably plenty of guys out there that dont care about rings or legacy. They only care about getting paid. Allstar appearances and titles probably mean nothing to some of these guys. They only care about getting paid

Baldyy
06-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Billionaire at the age of 30

o0jmadr0x0o
06-20-2010, 01:08 AM
unless you are SUPERSTAR (who will make the endorsment money regardless).
run to that money. (its what they all do anyway)
playing a professional sport, injury can strike at any time.

i may be pessimistic but almost all athletes are money hungry. they dont care about a ring unless it brings more money...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > $ + a ring

iFYouSeekAmy
06-20-2010, 01:08 AM
I would become a billionaire.

topdog
06-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Both.

I definitely would want the rings.

But, I also would want to be an owner one day so money matters ...but champions make money so gimme the rings.

irobson
06-20-2010, 01:09 AM
u play basketball well enough $$ will come. I mean are we talking about like derek fisher $$ or rings. Derek Fisher is worth approximatively 45million but has 4 rings. Lebron will be worth 100's of millions but has no rings...

So in that case I'd rather TAKE THE MONEY

sean17c
06-20-2010, 01:24 AM
this is really a stupid question.

ill take the billions

Knowledge
06-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Money.

I would want to be able to have my own businesses and feel secure for the rest of my life (taking care of my family and myself).

shep33
06-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Gimme the money, I can buy my own league and name myself the MVP, DPOY, ROTY, and I'd win the championship every year.

Spittin the fire

kblo247
06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I think it is on how the guys grow up.

Some guys may have grown up dirt poor and not knowing when they would be able to eat so of course money should be first and foremost, and some guys might grow up well off and appreciate winning more.

I think you have to take into account their social environment.

I'm not rich, but I've grown up with food, clothes, and had a good education so I'll say win. I'd understand why some others wouldn't prioritize it at that age though if they aren't used to having much.

robdizzle3
06-20-2010, 01:43 AM
The young guys will always run to the money, especially like someone said, you're not a superstar, but hey, it depends on who you are, but the young guys take the money.

td0tsfinest
06-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Getting any type of salary in the nba is enough for me, give me those rings.

rhino17
06-20-2010, 02:04 AM
It depends, if I am a good player and will have a decent contract no matter what, then rings, but if I am not good and barely surviving in the league, I would rather have the money

heathonater
06-20-2010, 02:05 AM
depends on how much you are making while winning rings. i would take the rings if i had a guarantee of earning 15 million a year. but if i was making less than a million a year, i would take the money because basketball players only have a limited time to make money.

SMH!
06-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Id probably get money and then buy a ring off adam morrison

Aapox
06-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Getting any type of salary in the nba is enough for me, give me those rings.

This. I don't care how much money I'm being offered, I would want to experience winning Championships as long as I had enough money to support myself and my family. There's more billionaires than NBA champions I'd imagine.

Shout out to the hilarious Joakim sig

XerxestheGreat
06-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Do you have any idea how much money a billion is??!!!!!!

for sure the money!!!! ill buy a team!!

heatbb
06-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Money. But if I'm a player worth a billion dollars then I'd make it anyway.

stawka
06-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Depends what kind of player you are. If you're going to end up a HOFer, then you go for the rings because you want to cement yourself in the top10 if possible. If you're anything below the top of the elite (Duncan's, Shaq's, Kobe's, LeBron's), then you go for the money

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Depends what kind of player you are. If you're going to end up a HOFer, then you go for the rings because you want to cement yourself in the top10 if possible. If you're anything below the top of the elite (Duncan's, Shaq's, Kobe's, LeBron's), then you go for the money

:speechless:

Dude, did you just put LeBron in the same breath as those 3 guys!!!

:pity: and :facepalm:

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:01 AM
:speechless:

Dude, did you just put LeBron in the same breath as those 3 guys!!!

:pity: and :facepalm:

Umm, actually I did. And barring any injuries, he WILL go down in history as one of the only few to be better then possibly all 3 of those guys. Anyone saying otherwise is either a Kobe fan or a pure hater.

This is why many have stopped posting on PSD, and I kind of regret even posting what I just said

JNA17
06-20-2010, 03:05 AM
rings, what could i possibly do with a billion dollars? As jewish as i am with money, i don't need a billion dollars to support my family and kids, being a multi-millionaire is quite enough imo and i could do just enough with that.

So rings, no question.

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Umm, actually I did. And barring any injuries, he WILL go down in history as one of the only few to be better then possibly all 3 of those guys. Anyone saying otherwise is either a Kobe fan or a pure hater.

This is why many have stopped posting on PSD, and I kind of regret even posting what I just said

Yes, you should regret for posting this. LeBron is a good talent, he is definitely one the top 10 great talents in NBA history. But when we're talking about legacies and all-time greats, he does not compare to those guys you just listed.

Right now, Karl Malone and LeBron James have equivalent legacies. Both with 2 league MVPs, both have lost in the finals, and both have dominated in their respective eras. THAT'S IT!

Please don't let your love for LeBron do this injustice to Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'neal and Kobe Bryant.

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Yes, you should regret for posting this. LeBron is a good talent, he is definitely one the top 10 great talents in NBA history. But when we're talking about legacies and all-time greats, he does not compare to those guys you just listed.

Right now, Karl Malone and LeBron James have equivalent legacies. Both with 2 league MVPs, both have lost in the finals, and both have dominated in their respective eras. THAT'S IT!

Please don't let your love for LeBron do this injustice to Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'neal and Kobe Bryant.

Please don't let your love for Kobe (hatred for LeBron) to this injustice to LeBron James. Like I said, when it's all SAID AND DONE. That doesn't mean 2010 or 2011, it means when he retires. And yes, while it is premature - most will agree (of course, counting out the Kobephiles such as yourself) etc. etc. etc

And just for the record, I only said I regret posting on PSD is because of the guys on here like yourself, who's love for Kobe continues to force you to belittle anyone and everyone who isn't named Kobe Bryant or is associated with him

IrespectNumber3
06-20-2010, 03:11 AM
I understand what your saying...but the question isn't worded right because everybody in here would rather be a billionaire...

so I would say

100 million 5 time champion > Billionaire with no rings

You don't die with your money...But you will die a champion

Oaktown R8ers
06-20-2010, 03:12 AM
billionaire
i can make my own league and rings.

Ebbs
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Rings. Because generally if your winning you is gettin paid!

the nightman
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM

quit being such a god damn kobe dick rider, it is ridiculous. kobe has never had a season better than lebron since lebron has been 20. lebron will easily go down as a better player than kobe. if lebron had the greatest center in the history of the NBA during his prime, he would easily have titles. if he had the best PF in the league on his team, he would win a title.

ill easily put the two in the same sentence, considering lebron is clearly the better player. if you just look at their stats it is blatantly obvious. it is a freaking team sport, rings dont mean everything. kobe wouldnt have **** if he went up against those teams that karl malone went up against. jordan would rip kobe a new one on the offensive end and **** his *** down on the defensive end.

you will just do anything to make kobe look good and put lebron down. it is disgusting.

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Please don't let your love for Kobe (hatred for LeBron) to this injustice to LeBron James. Like I said, when it's all SAID AND DONE. That doesn't mean 2010 or 2011, it means when he retires. And yes, while it is premature - most will agree (of course, counting out the Kobephiles such as yourself) etc. etc. etc

And just for the record, I only said I regret posting on PSD is because of the guys on here like yourself, who's love for Kobe continues to force you to belittle anyone and everyone who isn't named Kobe Bryant or is associated with him

Ok forget Kobe for a moment. Dude still has 6 yrs left for his career, so he can go to a different level of the hierarchy of NBA pantheon.

Let's ignore Kobe Bryant for a moment.

Now, Shaq and Duncan are close to reitiring. Shaq has a yr or two left, Timmy D has 3, maybe 4 yrs left at the most....

To put LeBron James in the same breath as Shaquille O'Neal or Tim Duncan.......

Do you have no shame?!??!?!?! :pity:

On what basis are you making this notion that he belongs with those 2 greats. Duncan is greatest PF ever and Shaq is the most dominant center in NBA history!

JNA17
06-20-2010, 03:15 AM
I understand what your saying...but the question isn't worded right because everybody in here would rather be a billionaire...

so I would say

100 million 5 time champion > Billionaire with no rings

You don't die with your money...But you will die a champion

exactly

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:16 AM
quit being such a god damn kobe dick rider, it is ridiculous. kobe has never had a season better than lebron since lebron has been 20. lebron will easily go down as a better player than kobe. if lebron had the greatest center in the history of the NBA during his prime, he would easily have titles. if he had the best PF in the league on his team, he would win a title.

ill easily put the two in the same sentence, considering lebron is clearly the better player. if you just look at their stats it is blatantly obvious. it is a freaking team sport, rings dont mean everything. kobe wouldnt have **** if he went up against those teams that karl malone went up against. jordan would rip kobe a new one on the offensive end and **** his *** down on the defensive end.

you will just do anything to make kobe look good and put lebron down. it is disgusting.

we're talking about legacies here, calm down little mikey!

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:19 AM
ko8e24... You tell me to forget Kobe but it's you who keeps involving him somehow in this discussion. If you weren't all over him, you would be a realist and accept the fact that LeBron WILL be in their league when it's said and done. Again, reread everything I have said and acknowledge the part where I said "WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE". Do you understand now???

Of course right now he's not up there with Shaq/Duncan/Kobe as far as all-time, but he WILL. Do you understand that too or would you like me to put spacing after every character?

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:22 AM
ko8e24... You tell me to forget Kobe but it's you who keeps involving him somehow in this discussion. If you weren't all over him, you would be a realist and accept the fact that LeBron WILL be in their league when it's said and done. Again, reread everything I have said and acknowledge the part where I said "WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE". Do you understand now???

Of course right now he's not up there with Shaq/Duncan/Kobe as far as all-time, but he WILL. Do you understand that too or would you like me to put spacing after every character?

And I can say that D-Wade, when it's all said and done can join Shaq/Duncan/Kobe because he already has a ring and finals mvp and this summer is big for him to make his Heat team elite against and a championship contender like 4 yrs ago.

I can say that Dwight Howard can join that group when it's all said and done because he has back-to-back dpoy, and his Orlando Magic are a top 2 team in the east, and have a good chance competing at elite level for yrs to come.

To say all this stuff right now is meaningless and USELESS!

Live in the moment, and do what you gotta do now, not 7-8 yrs down the line.

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Dwight will never EVER be in the same league as Shaq/Duncan/Hakeem/Kareem, he will at best be with Robinson/Ewing and thereabouts. Wade will be good, but EVERYONE including Heat fans will agree that LeBron will go down as the better of the two.

Again, stop with the hate! I dare you to go in the Heat forum and ask them which will go down as the better of the two, you will probably get banned for baiting because nobody will take you seriously - then again, I don't think anyone's taking you seriously at the moment so just keep doing your thing

You talk about living in the moment. If that's the case, LeBron/Kobe are 1-2 for the GOAT's because they're the best in the league at the moment. Get real, your argument is weak and your hatred for LeBron is really making this forum disgusting to even view.

ko8e24
06-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Dwight will never EVER be in the same league as Shaq/Duncan/Hakeem/Kareem, he will at best be with Robinson/Ewing and thereabouts. Wade will be good, but EVERYONE including Heat fans will agree that LeBron will go down as the better of the two.

Again, stop with the hate! I dare you to go in the Heat forum and ask them which will go down as the better of the two, you will probably get banned for baiting because nobody will take you seriously - then again, I don't think anyone's taking you seriously at the moment so just keep doing your thing

You talk about living in the moment. If that's the case, LeBron/Kobe are 1-2 for the GOAT's because they're the best in the league at the moment. Get real, your argument is weak and your hatred for LeBron is really making this forum disgusting to even view.

So you want me to go into the Heat forum to create such a thread, yet, you want me to do so even though you know I'll get banned for baiting?

:eyebrow:

Oh and question, has LeBron signed with a team yet? And do you think he'll take some time out of his busy schedule of looking at contracts and having free agent dinner meetings to attend the Lakers' parade this Monday?

I'll leave you with that.

Good night Stawka, and may the basketball lords have mercy on your innocent and naive soul.

Fireworld
06-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Aka..

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

;)

I love it!! :p

stawka
06-20-2010, 03:41 AM
I rest my case. Bringing up irrelevant ****. Hence the PSD lameness due to your pathetic posts, well done hero :)

Niro
06-20-2010, 03:58 AM
i would want the rings but first make sure to have enough money to have a good life after your nba career

LkrLand
06-20-2010, 04:11 AM
I would say the rings all the way. Making a few million dollars every year should be more than enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle and be able to save enough for their future...kids and such.

Gators123
06-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Most people sayings "Rings" are lying, no matter how much money you have you always want more.

Nirvanaskurdt
06-20-2010, 04:32 AM
I rest my case. Bringing up irrelevant ****. Hence the PSD lameness due to your pathetic posts, well done hero :)

you win :)

I like the term kobephile HAHAHA :laugh:

Nirvanaskurdt
06-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Aka..

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

;)

Yeah cause Kobe makes the league minimum right ? :rolleyes:

Kobe has it all.. the money and the chips.. and alot of luck.. getting traded to LA and having a great owner. Kobe would be Lebron (with no titles but more stats with more seasons played) without a prime shaq or pau and PJ.

I would want the rings but I would wanna earn them genuinely :) Not just join the best team in the league atm hence Ron Artest :p

NYKalltheway
06-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Money...just 10-15 players get a ring every year, so there's better chance to just get loads of money

junion
06-20-2010, 05:28 AM
how many players/coaches/etc a year get a ring?

how many billionaires are there per year?

magichatnumber9
06-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Money and then Rings. Come on you know how much work it takes just to make it to the NBA? you have to get paid to put your body in the position just to get drafted by a team.

G-Bear
06-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I would want to be comfortable money-wise and make sure that my family is secure and happy etc.. but you can make moneys so many different ways no matter how old you are. You only get a limited time in which to win a ring throughout your life, I'm taking the rings

Give me a legacy

The money will follow and by being sensible with money winners will always be comfortable.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Aka..

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

;)

thats how i see it

blackjack_119
06-20-2010, 10:05 AM
u play basketball well enough $$ will come. I mean are we talking about like derek fisher $$ or rings. Derek Fisher is worth approximatively 45million but has 4 rings. Lebron will be worth 100's of millions but has no rings...

So in that case I'd rather TAKE THE MONEY

Derek Fisher has made $54,142,000 in his career. Considering almost all of his career has been spent in the state of California, assume that roughly 50% of his money has been paid out in state and federal taxes. That means that if Derek Fisher hasn't spend any money on rapidly depreciating assets (cars, vacations, fancy dinners, parties, technology) which is doubtful, then his net worth is only $28M. At this point, I would be surprised if Derek Fisher were worth more than $14M. There is a reason that so many NBA players end up going broke which is why you take the money.

TheKing23
06-20-2010, 11:05 AM
So you want me to go into the Heat forum to create such a thread, yet, you want me to do so even though you know I'll get banned for baiting?

:eyebrow:

Oh and question, has LeBron signed with a team yet? And do you think he'll take some time out of his busy schedule of looking at contracts and having free agent dinner meetings to attend the Lakers' parade this Monday?

I'll leave you with that.

Good night Stawka, and may the basketball lords have mercy on your innocent and naive soul.

It's posts like this and posters like you that have driven me away from the NBA forum.

You're really destroying these forums with your constant Kobe dickriding, immaturity, ignorance, arrogance and naivety.

Keep it up...

Oefarmy2005
06-20-2010, 11:26 AM
If it was me - MONEY, if I already had a crap load of money - I'd want a ring - one, and then some more MONEY.

Bullsfan22
06-20-2010, 11:34 AM
It depends what kind of player I am. If I'm a top level talent I want the rings, If I'm a role player you have to take the money and secure you're life and family.

hockeyunhboy77
06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
more money more problems

But ill take 2. People have had multi-championships, But know one has been a billonaire before age 30 in the nba ,nfl, nhl, mlb maybe MJ but i dunno what age.

JordanPippen
06-22-2010, 02:44 AM
more money more problems

But ill take 2. People have had multi-championships, But know one has been a billonaire before age 30 in the nba ,nfl, nhl, mlb maybe MJ but i dunno what age.

only billionaire athlete is tiger woods

Duncan = Donkey
06-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Definetley would rather be a billionare

_KB24_
06-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Why the hell is the second option even viable? Not even Jordan at this stage is a billionaire and you think "so-and so" would have a shot at becoming a billionaire by 30? :facepalm:

If you are a star, 99% of them are going to say rings because they're going to make more than enough in their careers.

GspLAL
06-22-2010, 03:43 AM

Yeah because putting Lebron in the same sentence as those guys (we'r e talking legacies here) makes a lot of sense. And don't give me the HE WILL crap you're just going by assumptions of what you think will happen. I'm not saying Lebron won't have a great career like those guys but saying he will just to put him in the same sentence is just as stupid.

GspLAL
06-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Back on topic, millions is enough for me so give me the great feeling of winning a ring or two.

stawka
06-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Surprise surprise... 2 out of the 2 that complained about what I said were Laker fans. Face it dude - If LeBron stays healthy, he WILL be up there with those guys. Quote this in your sig and bring it up in another 15 years if you like... But I guarantee everyone that see's your sig will be like "I don't get why you've quoted that".

GspLAL
06-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Surprise surprise... 2 out of the 2 that complained about what I said were Laker fans. Face it dude - If LeBron stays healthy, he WILL be up there with those guys. Quote this in your sig and bring it up in another 15 years if you like... But I guarantee everyone that see's your sig will be like "I don't get why you've quoted that".

Surprise surprise...you didn't even read my post, I mentioned that I think Lebron will have a great career but trying to force Lebron in the same sentence is being a homer if you believe it or not.

stawka
06-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Surprise surprise...you didn't even read my post, I mentioned that I think Lebron will have a great career but trying to force Lebron in the same sentence is being a homer if you believe it or not.

Wrong. You're not a homer if EVERYONE except a hater would agree. Anyone that is unbiased would agree with me, that is all

ThaRegul8r
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Rings. LOL at people saying they'd rather take the money so their family would be secure. How the hell will your family not be secure if you're a multi-millionaire? "My family would starve if I was only a multi-millionaire." LOL. If you aren't secure with millions upon millions of dollars, then you don't deserve to have money. You're making it with whatever you're making right now, and face it, I think I can safely say that both multi-millions and a billion dollars are more than any of us on this forum will see in our lifetimes anyway. After a certain point, what difference does it make that I'd need more? Would I really be able to tell the difference?