PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Franchise Rankings: The Los Angeles Lakers are #1

JNA17
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings2010-Lakers

Magic. Kareem. The Logo. Kobe. Shaq. When it comes to superstars, the Lakers are so far out in front of everybody else it's not even funny -- their all-time starting five would crush any other team's; in fact, it might be better than that of the rest of the league's put together. So star-studded is their legacy that I left Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and George Mikan off my five-man team that opened this paragraph, also neglecting the likes of James Worthy, Bob McAdoo and Gail Goodrich.

And those big names won, too. Although the Celtics have more championships, the Lakers have more of everything else -- wins, playoff wins, playoff series wins and conference titles. About the only thing that hurts L.A. in the all-time rankings is the penalty for relocating from Minnesota to Los Angeles in the 1950s.

The story begins with the Mikan years up north, where he led Minneapolis to five championships in six seasons in the formative years of the NBA. As the league's first dominant big man, he established something of a tradition.

Since then, the Lakers have almost always had at least one monstrous big man -- Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Pau Gasol -- and one electrifying perimeter star to go with him (Magic, Jerry West, Baylor, Kobe).

About the only thing the Lakers haven't been able to do is best the Celtics head-to-head. In 11 meetings against Boston in the Finals, L.A. has prevailed just three times. In that regard, Baylor's Minneapolis team got the ball rolling in 1958-59 in the team's last season before heading west, and in the '60s, Chamberlain and West were foiled by the Celtics five times.

Ultimately, those Lakers broke through with a 69-13 season in 1971-72 that featured a 33-game winning streak -- still a record for North American pro team sports -- to win the team's first title in L.A.

After a brief lull in the late '70s, they would get five more rings when Magic arrived to join forces with Kareem. Although there was one more painful loss to Boston interposed -- a seven-game defeat in 1984 -- L.A. avenged it by becoming the first team in nearly two decades to repeat as champs, winning in 1987 and 1988. A hamstring injury to Magic Johnson in the Finals the next year derailed the Lakers' quest for a three-peat, but they would get one a decade and a half later after Phil Jackson came to Tinseltown to guide Shaq and Kobe.

That team provided plenty of last-second excitement -- most notably the alley-oop from Kobe to Shaq that cemented a Game 7 conference finals comeback win over Portland in 2000 -- and produced one of the most dominant playoff runs in history with a 15-1 romp through the field in 2001.

Amazingly, the franchise has missed the playoffs only five times in its 62 years. The Lakers, who have played in seven Finals in the new century, are now only one title behind the hated Celtics after defending their title in 2010 with a dramatic seven-game win over Boston.

I'm actually very surprised, ESPN is very east coast bias but it seems they put the lakers at number 1 anyway, go figure.

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I think they did a ranking last yr after Lakers defeated Orlando, and the Lakers were #1

iFYouSeekAmy
06-19-2010, 07:48 PM
No surprise there.. their franchise is bound to land stardom.

Akshay
06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Repeat champs, seems fitting.

GSW Hoops
06-19-2010, 09:53 PM
GSW a close second.

JWO35
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I heard he put the Pistons at 13th :facepalm:

koreancabbage
06-19-2010, 09:58 PM

is that too high?

_KB24_
06-19-2010, 10:10 PM
is that too high?

Much too low.

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Eh. Still taking the Celtics over the Lakers.

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM

There are not that many teams with 3 or more championships. Take pride in knowing your one of them. Who cares about this list. Were a top ten franchise.

NPH
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Eh. Still taking the Celtics over the Lakers.

Is that based off of knowledge of the teams' history? Or just off of hate? :)

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Is that based off of knowledge of the teams' history? Or just off of hate? :)

The former.
They're better than you guys.
Championships don't lie, especially to that magnitude.
They have what? 18?

NPH
06-19-2010, 10:27 PM
The former.
They have what? 18?

I thought they lost the finals? So that would be 17.. One more than the Lakers.

NBAfan4life
06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
The former.
They have what? 18?

So if you could own a franchise you would take boston over LA?

Personally I will take a almost garunteed lock to make the playoffs year in and year out.

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought they lost the finals? So that would be 17.. One more than the Lakers.

I was guessing. I don't keep track of this stuff. 17. Okay, great.
They have 17 rings in 48 Playoff appearances, while you guys have 16 rings in 57 appearances. Need I say more?

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:30 PM
So if you could own a franchise you would take boston over LA?

Personally I will take a almost garunteed lock to make the playoffs year in and year out.

Wanting to own a franchise is completely different. LA is more extravagant, but if I want to win, I'm going to Boston.

Korman12
06-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Good, Sixers recognition.

NBAfan4life
06-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Wanting to own a franchise is completely different. LA is more extravagant, but if I want to win, I'm going to Boston.

Really in this day and age you go to Boston. By my count Celtics dominence ended in the 80's. They for the most part have been a non factor until 08. The future gets a little murky from here on out in my matters little opinion. If I wanted to win I go to LA.

The Final Boss
06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
No surprise here.

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Really in this day and age you go to Boston. By my count Celtics dominence ended in the 80's. They for the most part have been a non factor until 08. The future gets a little murky from here on out in my matters little opinion. If I wanted to win I go to LA.

Well, that's your opinion.
Still till' this day, Boston is winning, and over history, they're still more successful. Boston proves everyone wrong. I just love how they play. LA is obnoxious too, I can't lie. ;)

ldc62
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
They have 17 rings in 48 Playoff appearances, while you guys have 16 rings in 57 appearances. Need I say more?

Having more playoff appearances isn't a bad thing...

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Having more playoff appearances isn't a bad thing...

Having more titles going less times shows the times you actually are in the Playoffs, you're a LOT better than your opponent.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I think the Lakers deserve to be #1. The Celtics have more rings, but a good portion of those came against a very small number of teams in the NBA, while the Lakers have had a much better history with the expanded NBA. The Lakers have way more playoff appearances, and have not suffered as many horrendous years in the least. The Lakers are the most consistently great franchise in NBA history, and that probably would have been my statement had they lost the other night.
Now I am going to go puke...

saintdrew
06-19-2010, 11:04 PM
ESPN sucks. Of course they would release these franchise rankings right after the Lakers won the finals.

RapOZo
06-19-2010, 11:05 PM
LA having more playoffs appearances doesn't help your case
going more to the playoffs than other is not a bad thing

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 11:11 PM
LA having more playoffs appearances doesn't help your case
going more to the playoffs than other is not a bad thing

They still have more Championships than you...WITH LESS APPEARANCES.
What don't you guys get?

Nirvanaskurdt
06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Bobcats :)

/thread ;)

Kevj77
06-19-2010, 11:19 PM
They still have more Championships than you...WITH LESS APPEARANCES.
What don't you guys get?You could look at it that way. I see missing the playoffs as being a lottery team. So I'll take being in the playoffs.

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 11:21 PM
You could look at it that way. I see missing the playoffs as being a lottery team. So I'll take being in the playoffs.

Well, I see it as, the main goal is to win a championship, and if the Celtics have more championships, with less trips there, they're better, because LA hasn't been able to do the same yet. If LA had 19-20 in 49-52 trips, that's a different story.

Shaddix
06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, I see it as, the main goal is to win a championship, and if the Celtics have more championships, with less trips there, they're better, because LA hasn't been able to do the same yet. If LA had 19-20 in 49-52 trips, that's a different story.

Don't even bother, the Laker fans are still on their high after that championship win, they won't give up. As for best fans in the NBA if it's celtics vs lakers, celtics win EVERYTIME.

X12Celtics3
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Head to head NBA Finals results:
Boston: 9 ('59, '62, '63, '65, '66, '68, '69, '84, '08)
Los Angeles: 3 ('85, '87, '2010)

JNA17
06-19-2010, 11:26 PM
I think the Lakers deserve to be #1. The Celtics have more rings, but a good portion of those came against a very small number of teams in the NBA, while the Lakers have had a much better history with the expanded NBA. The Lakers have way more playoff appearances, and have not suffered as many horrendous years in the least. The Lakers are the most consistently great franchise in NBA history, and that probably would have been my statement had they lost the other night.

did i just hear a logical post from hawkeye15? SOMEBODY PINCH ME!!!!! :p

JNA17
06-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Head to head NBA Finals results:
Boston: 9 ('59, '62, '63, '65, '66, '68, '69, '84, '08)
Los Angeles: 3 ('85, '87, '2010)

i love how 7 of them were from the 60s and only 2 of them were fairly recent.

JordansBulls
06-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Last time he did this, LA was first as well.

rhino17
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM
No. 1: Los Angeles Lakers
No. 2: Boston Celtics
No. 3: San Antonio Spurs
No. 4: Chicago Bulls
No. 5: Phoenix Suns
No. 6: Philadelphia 76ers
No. 7: Utah Jazz
No. 8: Portland Trail Blazers
No. 9: Orlando Magic
No. 10: Houston Rockets
No. 11: Indiana Pacers
No. 12: Milwaukee Bucks
No. 13: Oklahoma City Thunder
No. 14: Miami Heat
No. 15: Detroit Pistons
No. 16: Dallas Mavericks
No. 17: New York Knicks
No. 18: Denver Nuggets
No. 19: Cleveland Cavaliers
No. 20: Golden State Warriors
No. 21: Atlanta Hawks
No. 22: New Jersey Nets
No. 23: Washington Wizards
No. 24: New Orleans Hornets
No. 25: Sacramento Kings
No. 26: Toronto Raptors
No. 27: Minnesota Timberwolves
No. 28: Charlotte Bobcats
No. 29: Los Angeles Clippers
No. 30: Memphis Grizzlies

This list is beyond moronic. This just continues to show how stupid john hollinger is

Boston is #1, no matter what, until the lakers have won more rings than them, LA is #2.

Why the **** is SA ahead of Chicago?

Detroit at #13? How the **** are they not higher?

Phoenix, Orlando, Utah ahead of Houston? Let me vomit real quick

Correct Rankings would be:
1) Celtics
2) Lakers
3) Bulls
4) Spurs
5) Pistons
followed by either Houston, Philly, or Portland

Kevj77
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Well, I see it as, the main goal is to win a championship, and if the Celtics have more championships, with less trips there, they're better, because LA hasn't been able to do the same yet. If LA had 19-20 in 49-52 trips, that's a different story.That's fair if you're going just by championships, but it's only 17-16. I just don't see missing the playoffs and being a lottery team as a good thing, so the arguement about winning more championships in less trips to the playoffs doesn't compute for me.

I can buy the more championships thing, also the head to head matchup that favors the Celtics. The Lakers have a better winning percentage, best post season record all-time, longest winning streak, more trips to the playoffs, and have been to more finals. It really could go either way it just depends on your point of view.

JNA17
06-19-2010, 11:36 PM
This list is beyond moronic. This just continues to show how stupid john hollinger is

i love how the mavs are higher then the knicks in the list :laugh2:

E.O.21
06-19-2010, 11:39 PM

nop hes wrong again

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Mark Cuban has done an extraordinary job since he took over 10-11 yrs ago as owner. Consistently making it to the playoffs, many 50 win seasons, etc. etc.

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 11:44 PM
nop hes wrong again

You're hate for the Lakers on every single topic is just annoying now. :pity:

JNA17
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Mark Cuban has done an extraordinary job since he took over 10-11 yrs ago as owner. Consistently making it to the playoffs, many 50 win seasons, etc. etc.

yeah but the mavs have not been to the league longer then the knicks have and i think imo they have more of a border history including history from the 70s and the 90s, etc.

JNA17
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
nop hes wrong again

nop?

rhino17
06-19-2010, 11:47 PM

That too, I was gonna mention that. The Mavs did not become relevant to basketball until after 2000, how can they be higher than one of the most well known teams?

kingkenny01
06-19-2010, 11:53 PM
i can't believe milwaukee at 12 crazy

Lakerfan8032
06-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Overall a bad list. Hollinger's formulas are as stupid as is he. How can a team that has never won a championship be ranked number five? They've been to only two finals overall. They have been consistently good but never great. And Detroit got shafted. They played in what, six or seven consecutive conference finals earlier this past decade. Making two Finals and winning one title. And that's not including their three consecutive trips tp the Finals and winning back-to-back championships from 1988 to 1990. So, according to Hollinger Detroit's history pales in comparison to Phoenix's? I don't think so. That would be the biggest discrepancy on what is a horrible list.

Ragun
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings2010-Lakers

I'm actually very surprised, ESPN is very east coast bias but it seems they put the lakers at number 1 anyway, go figure.

there is no surprise IMO.

oregonbronco
06-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Blazers at 8 seems fair. a franchise full of class (minus 3-4 years of jailblazers)

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 12:53 AM

I stick up for the Lakers, and Kobe when its called for. But I will never buy into the koolaid man. You should know this by now. I have mad respect for Kobe, and the Lakers, but it doesn't mean I like them, and will not rationally argue against many things concerning them.
It honestly ticks me off though. I do this from time to time, sticking up for the Lakers and giving Kobe his due, yet its forgotten the second I post something defying Laker nation.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
his list is terrible.

to start with any franchise WITHOUTH Rings shouldnt be over ANy franchsie with one.

then any franchis that ha snot ever been to finals shoulndt b up of one that has done so.

robdizzle3
06-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Don't even bother, the Laker fans are still on their high after that championship win, they won't give up. As for best fans in the NBA if it's celtics vs lakers, celtics win EVERYTIME.

Yeah, I bet they have the best fans, considering they only came out when Garnett and Allen came over, but were chanting MVP top Kobe not just a few years ago. You will never hear that in Staples. And recently, the Lakers have been more dominant with winning a 3peat and back to back titles in a decade really.

ldc62
06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Suns, Magic way too high.

Gators123
06-20-2010, 02:28 AM
wow.....

BTW, did you all miss me? lol ;)

Korman12
06-20-2010, 02:35 AM
There's a few things on this list I obviously don't agree with, but if you're argument is only centered around a certain team's number of championships, then you're not looking at it from a wide-perspective.

Yes, Boston has one more championship, but they did it in less playoff appearances than LA. That doesn't mean total efficiency, that means there were more bad Celtics teams. As remarkable as their records are, Boston failed to qualify for the playoffs 16 times in their history (still great). But, from 1948 to now, the Lakers only missed the playoffs five times.

Chicago won all their championships during one era. But that was also the only time the franchise has been able to reach the finals. They also failed to make the playoffs 15 times in 44 years (34% failure-rate in contrast to San Antonio's 11.7%).

I'm not saying championships don't matter - they obviously do, but there's a lot more to it.

Korman12
06-20-2010, 02:36 AM
And Detroit is definitely top 10.

Kevj77
06-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Anyone notice how old this is?

Edit: of course they updated it, earlier when I clicked on the link it was from right after the 08 season. Now it's updated. This is from a few years ago.

LakersIn5
06-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Having more titles going less times shows the times you actually are in the Playoffs, you're a LOT better than your opponent.

but not making the playoffs means you suck!

_KB24_
06-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I stick up for the Lakers, and Kobe when its called for. But I will never buy into the koolaid man. You should know this by now. I have mad respect for Kobe, and the Lakers, but it doesn't mean I like them, and will not rationally argue against many things concerning them.
It honestly ticks me off though. I do this from time to time, sticking up for the Lakers and giving Kobe his due, yet its forgotten the second I post something defying Laker nation.

You see how Artest will always be remembered for his part in the infamous brawl, well lets just your never going to live down your prophecy on Kobe after '08 if you know what I mean :laugh2:

_KB24_
06-20-2010, 05:17 AM
And its blasphemy on how low Detroit is!!!!!! How is this not a public outcry lol, this is a striahgt slap in the face to the Piston Nation. :facepalm:

xBLAMEITON24x
06-20-2010, 06:31 AM
I'll take consistency over everything else lakers are the most consistent look at the lakers championships and final appeeance they are the all round better franchise

magichatnumber9
06-20-2010, 06:55 AM
I think the Lakers are the better franchise at this point. Consistency should count for something.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 08:55 AM

That just means LA is more consistent of making the playoffs. Boston won all of there titles in the 60's before a lot of changes in the NBA. Thats why they are ranked 2 and Lakers are ranked 1. BTW Pistons should be swapped with the Suns.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I bet they have the best fans, considering they only came out when Garnett and Allen came over, but were chanting MVP top Kobe not just a few years ago. You will never hear that in Staples. And recently, the Lakers have been more dominant with winning a 3peat and back to back titles in a decade really.

No I think Boston has the best fans in all sports hands down.
I would know im a Lakers and Dolphins fans. i wish we could have a fan base as faithful as them.

Boston Teams don't know how lucky they really are with there fans.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
And its blasphemy on how low Detroit is!!!!!! How is this not a public outcry lol, this is a striahgt slap in the face to the Piston Nation. :facepalm:

LOL no offense but i really don't see piston fans whine as much as us. There really never on the forums either.

G-Bear
06-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Lakers having better win percentages, more play-off runs etc.. etc.. all this takes them above Boston in my eyes regardless of the fact Boston has 1 more ring.

Does this list seem really short-sighted to anyone else? I'm a Phoenix fan and the Suns being serious contenders over a long period of time recently is nothing on Detroit in my opinion,I don't think the list should be based on rings alone, otherwise Boston would be top, but leaving them out of the top 10 with their history is just stupid to be honest

Reversed86Curse
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM

5 of the Lakers titles came when they were in Minneapolis, during the late 40's and 50's, against a very small amount of teams. What's the difference? The Lakers organization may have 16 titles, but LA only has 11.

LA has been the best franchise over the past 30 years, but all time, until another team wins 11 'chips in 13 years, my vote stays with the C's.

Korman12
06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
There's only two reasons why I think Hollinger put Detroit as low as he did, which none of us agree with: their all-time roster, and 1963-1983. It's worth noting how absolutely horrible the franchise was for 20 years.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just trying to understand what points he was making.

ZioAx
06-20-2010, 12:16 PM
16-15

17-4

Celtics > Lakers

still1ballin
06-20-2010, 03:51 PM
16-15

17-4

Celtics > Lakers

Sad to say there are many factors in being the #1 franchise than that. Nothing will change your opinion because you are a Celtic fan, but the stats don't lie and the article says it clear and cut that Lakers are #1 if you like it or not.

Jenceman
06-20-2010, 04:21 PM

Are you kidding?

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXPZVPIjxE

No way that would happen in Los Angeles.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
5 of the Lakers titles came when they were in Minneapolis, during the late 40's and 50's, against a very small amount of teams. What's the difference? The Lakers organization may have 16 titles, but LA only has 11.

LA has been the best franchise over the past 30 years, but all time, until another team wins 11 'chips in 13 years, my vote stays with the C's.

what is your point? Boston had the majority of those against a tiny NBA.
You can call it however you like, I was stating my opinion

fadedmario
06-20-2010, 04:34 PM
LOL no offense but i really don't see piston fans whine as much as us. There really never on the forums either.

We just know were rebuilding right now. Were still here. Thanks to everyone on here for saying Detroit should have been higher. I would have been cool with top 10.

Reversed86Curse
06-20-2010, 04:51 PM
what is your point? Boston had the majority of those against a tiny NBA.
You can call it however you like, I was stating my opinion

That's cool that its your opinion, I'm just saying that the first 5 Laker titles came in the first 6 or 7 years of the NBA, in its extreme infancy.

More importantly, C's are 9-3 vs the Lakers in the finals, so I guess beating the "#1" franchise 75% of the times in the finals should count for something....

Rivera
06-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I would know im a Lakers and Dolphins fans. i wish we could have a fan base as faithful as them.

DIPSET!!!!!! BYRD GANG!!!!!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::rock::smoking::hi5::guns: :guns::dance::dance::dance2::dance2::cheer::drunk: :drunk::jumpy::burn::win::win::win:

_KB24_
06-20-2010, 05:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXPZVPIjxE

Thats...all...I....have....to.....say....... :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
That's cool that its your opinion, I'm just saying that the first 5 Laker titles came in the first 6 or 7 years of the NBA, in its extreme infancy.

More importantly, C's are 9-3 vs the Lakers in the finals, so I guess beating the "#1" franchise 75% of the times in the finals should count for something....

head to head matchups over the course of time aren't really important to me. I have great respect for basketball in the 40-50's. But is was not nearly as competitive as in later years. The Lakers have dominated along with the Bulls from 1980-currently. That means more than 11 titles against an NBA with a handful of teams. Sorry.

Sixerlover
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Well if he is saying the top franchises since the NBA's conception I'd put Boston ahead of LA simply because no other team had as dominating a run at the Celtics in the 60's. LA's an easy 2, Chicago 3, San Antonio 4, Philly 5, and Detroit 6. That's my opinion

slack_justin
06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
the pistons are top 5 or 6. this list is rediculous.

_KB24_
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think the Spurs should be in the Top 5. They do have 4 titles, but I think other teams should be awarded ahead of them for their legacy and amounts of talent. None of the Spurs teams were as good as the "Bad Boys" of the 80's and 90s Pistons. Even Philly and NYC deserve to be ahead of them for historical value.