PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cubs make the postseason this year?

KOENIG
06-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Will the Cubs make the postseason this year? Yes or No?

JayCub
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I think a better question would be, will the Cubs finish .500 this year? I'm starting to really think that will be a NO.

KOENIG
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
You're right. I think Jim Hendry actually does think that this team will turn it around.

Jilly Bohnson
06-19-2010, 06:48 PM
You always rag on Hendry, but I've never heard you come up with a good solution to any problem.

DamnGoat
06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't see any reason to believe they'll make the postseason or even make it interesting for that matter.

GOCUBSGO20
06-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I doubt the Cubs will even finish .500 this year. Depending on who the Cubs get rid of at the deadline, I could easily see the Cubs finishing 10 to 15 games under the .500 mark

Tehjosha
06-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Is this serious? Really? **** no the Cubs aren't making the playoffs.

Get off Hendry's back. Blame it on the guys on the field and in the dugout.

1908_Cubs
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
There is no reason whatsoever to think they won't be in the playoffs. A destructive offense, a shutdown pitching staff, they'll easily win the division hands down and take names in the playoffs.

World Series 2015.

It's 2015 right?

giventofly
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
There is no reason whatsoever to think they won't be in the playoffs. A destructive offense, a shutdown pitching staff, they'll easily win the division hands down and take names in the playoffs.

World Series 2015.

It's 2015 right?
The last time I made a prediction a few years into the future, I was absolutely correct. In 2005, I said the Cubs would be a dominant team in 2008.

Go me :clap:

Mister Marcus
06-20-2010, 01:04 AM
This team is showing some life. I saw some things today that led me to believe that they will turn things around.

cowboydoc45
06-20-2010, 01:21 AM
This team is showing some life. I saw some things today that led me to believe that they will turn things around.

this team has shown nothing in terms of turning anything around... we will be lucky to be in 3rd place at the end of the season, we will be even more lucky to have a .500 average. This team is probably one of, if not the best offensive team on paper, however, paper doesn't win ball games. Good teams win, plain and simple. If anyone here actually thinks this team can turn it around, they need to check into a mental ward, seriously, ain't happening. By the end of the season, or at least to begin the offseason, we are going to have a new GM (nothing against Hendry, he had his shot, took the gamble, and almost got it, but not quite), we will have a new manager (Lou will not be back next season), Lee, Lilly, Wells, Zambrano, Fukudome will all be playing for other teams... here's to 2012.

hoggin88
06-20-2010, 01:34 AM
I am going to say yes, so in case a miracle happens I will look like a genius. :D

Mister Marcus
06-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Reminds me of the early 1990's. We had George Bell, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Andre Dawson, Jerome Walton.

Mike Harkey was gonna be the next Doc K. Beleicki was going to return to his 18 win 1989 form. Danny Jackson was going to win 20 games.

The team was flat and uninspired. Don Zimmer was fired. Looked great on paper, but all that talent netted 73 wins.

Only player that performed was Maddux, he went to the Braves the following season

Captain Obvious
06-20-2010, 01:56 AM
I saw some things today that led me to believe that they will turn things around.

Cool.

You can share them, but I don't want to put any negative peer pressure on you.

Mister Marcus
06-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Cool.

You can share them, but I don't want to put any negative peer pressure on you.

I was talking about the Angels. Excuse the sarcasim

Brad IBCB
06-20-2010, 01:59 AM
No.

gocubs2118
06-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Why would you ask this question after they just got their ***** beaten by 12 runs?

Sasuke11
06-20-2010, 02:28 AM
You know it's bad when NO one has even tossed in a pity vote for yes.

Ron!n
06-20-2010, 03:10 AM
You know it's bad when NO one has even tossed in a pity vote for yes.
I did. Faith young grasshoppers

CubbieSteve
06-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Hell to the no

toki_wartooth
06-20-2010, 04:40 AM
This week I finally came to terms with the fact that this team will not contend. On Friday, for the first time this season, I didn't watch an entire game that was played outside my work schedule.

I'll get excited again when this organization turns full steam ahead toward the future and abandons the "this is the year" attitude.

As each game goes by, the thought crosses my mind that, "hey, if this team gets hot and can win five or six in a row, they will be right back in it", but I think last year was more of a harbinger than I had hoped for.

KOENIG
06-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Hendry is the one who hired a clueless manager and is paying these players like they're All-Stars. Solution? Ricketts should get rid of Hendry and Piniella and Zambrano, Lee, Ramirez, etc. Lower the payroll. Build the farm system. Hope for the future.

Buckwheat
06-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Hendry is the one who hired a clueless manager and is paying these players like they're All-Stars. Solution? Ricketts should get rid of Hendry and Piniella and Zambrano, Lee, Ramirez, etc. Lower the payroll. Build the farm system. Hope for the future.

Damn, that sounds easy. You should be GM!

And to answer the question being asked in this thread: :laugh2:

windycityD
06-20-2010, 09:51 AM
75 wins is really starting to look like where this team will land. The offense is letting this entire team down. Even though the pen was horrible for the first month of the season, the O has been bad for the entire season.

We lead the majors in one run games (26) and have 16 losses out of those 26 games. We've only been blown out four times this season, including Saturdays game. The starting pitching, save four starts, has been ok.

KOENIG
06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
My reason for starting the poll was to see if anyone who responded felt the same way Hendry does. He actually thinks he has a good team on the field. He needs to be let go. If Ricketts wants to wait until after season, that's OK. The Cubs have no chance to reach the postseason any way. After the season, fire Hendry and Piniella. Bring in a new GM and tell him to concentrate on the farm system and lowering the payroll by getting rid of the overpriced, underachieving players any way possible. Their are other teams interested in the Cubs' players. If the team has to pay some of their salaries, so what? At least the players are off the roster.

Mister Marcus
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Getting shalacked by the Braves the first game of the season set the tone for what was ahead.

Darwinist
06-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I did. Faith young grasshoppers

Faith=The denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

Matchstckman
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I voted no, though I still don't think it's out of the question in this division.

poodski
06-20-2010, 01:06 PM

World Series 2015.

It's 2015 right?

I am pretty sure it's 2015 if you are asking what I think you are asking.

Mell413
06-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I like how this kind of turned into a Hendry sucks thread. I don't really blame him for this. No GM will look good when your 3-4 hitters combined are below replacement level. You can blame him for 05-06 if you want since those teams did not stand a chance. However 09-10 are on the players. With the exception of the Grabow signing his off-season acquistions have worked out fine. I just find it kind of humorous that the players never seem to be held accountable on this board.

Captain Obvious
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
I like how this kind of turned into a Hendry sucks thread. I don't really blame him for this. No GM will look good when your 3-4 hitters combined are below replacement level. You can blame him for 05-06 if you want since those teams did not stand a chance. However 09-10 are on the players. With the exception of the Grabow signing his off-season acquistions have worked out fine. I just find it kind of humorous that the players never seem to be held accountable on this board.

I think that most of us find the players accountable, Lee and Ramirez, at least. Personally, I think that it is more on Lou than the players, but even so, we can't be a .500 team till Lee and Ramirez play at least 1/2 of what they can be. However, back to the players being held accountable, I think that it is more of the "stupid" posters that don't know any better, who say Hendry sucks and don't hold Lee and Ramirez accountable for their shatty play.

Cess
06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I checked the results on the poll and was surprised to see 2 people had voted yes. This, of course, means two people are passing the pipe to each other and I would like to know just why the hell it hasn't made it around to me yet.

ReJo
06-21-2010, 10:00 AM
It's not entirely out of the question. Believe it or not this team has some really good players. The pitching has been pretty solid, even in the bullpen. We haven't been scoring many runs but individually a lot of the hitters are having great years. It's a matter of getting it all together on the same day and carrying it on for the rest of the year.
Throw in the fact that the Reds and Cardinals aren't scaring anyone it wont take much to win the NL Central.
All it takes is one big or a couple of little winning streaks to get right back in the hunt.

Mell413
06-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did win the division. The Cardinals are having trouble scoring runs much like us. In fact they have scored only 12 more runs and that is with Lee and Ramirez pretty much being useless for most of the season. Lee has been hitting better lately so hopefully that carries over. We need Lee and Ramirez to get it going to have a shot though. Ludwick's, Freese's, Rasmus' BABIPs have continued to fall so there offensive struggles may continue. The Reds starting staff doesn't impress me and their bullpen isn't all that great. Despite the play over the last week by the defense we rank 7th according to UZR and that's better than Stl and Cin.

I've always thought when the Cubs win the WS it was going to be in some weird fashion. If this is it that remains to be seen. I think we will have a better feel at the ASB. I'm hoping we can get to around 4 GB at the ASB then we can think about adding a 2B and/or Cliff Lee. Also I think we have played just as bad as we can. I don't think things can get much worse. The Cards and Reds haven't hit their rough patch yet.

poodski
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I would love Lee, but I dont think he is what we need. The pitching especially starting pitching hasnt been the issue.

2B is a huge issue though on this team, as their isnt a starter on the team.

1908_Cubs
06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I would love Lee, but I dont think he is what we need. The pitching especially starting pitching hasnt been the issue.

2B is a huge issue though on this team, as their isnt a starter on the team.

Not a full starter. However Baker's 1.000+ OPS against LHP this year (while too high, he's still going to be easily over .800 against them, I feel) is an ideal portion to a platoon. We just need to find someone who can hit righties at a decent clip.

I don't think it's such a massive hole.

3Fingers
06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
While there's no doubt the players are the ones who aren't getting the job done, at some point there has to be an organizational change if the losing continues. It's inevitable.

Jim Hendry is the guy who put this team together. For two years running, he's been given one of the highest payrolls in baseball to work with, yet it hasn't yielded wins. Even if you love the guy, a tipping point eventually comes.

Tom Ricketts hasn't gotten to where he's gotten by being blind. He knows this isn't working. With his affinity for statistical analysis in the stock world, and with his hiring of Ari Kaplan in the front office, it's pretty apparent that big changes are in order for this organization -- not just in personnel, but in philosophy. Jim Hendry, who leans heavily on the scouting side of front-office management, is bound to be a casualty. Lou Piniella isn't likely to want to stick around as the team rebuilds, even if the new GM wanted him.

The winds of change are blowin'.

poodski
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
While there's no doubt the players are the ones who aren't getting the job done, at some point there has to be an organizational change if the losing continues. It's inevitable.

Jim Hendry is the guy who put this team together. For two years running, he's been given one of the highest payrolls in baseball to work with, yet it hasn't yielded wins. Even if you love the guy, a tipping point eventually comes.

Tom Ricketts hasn't gotten to where he's gotten by being blind. He knows this isn't working. With his affinity for statistical analysis in the stock world, and with his hiring of Ari Kaplan in the front office, it's pretty apparent that big changes are in order for this organization -- not just in personnel, but in philosophy. Jim Hendry, who leans heavily on the scouting side of front-office management, is bound to be a casualty. Lou Piniella isn't likely to want to stick around as the team rebuilds, even if the new GM wanted him.

The winds of change are blowin'.

Uhh the team was a winner last year.

Some of you people act as if the Cubs have had a losing record for the last 10 straight years. The Cubs have lost more than 83 games all of once since 2003. How many other teams can say that in the NL?

BDawk4Prez
06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Who cares as long as they have a better record then Cinci!

**** you Po!!!!

:sigh:

1908_Cubs
06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Uhh the team was a winner last year.

Some of you people act as if the Cubs have had a losing record for the last 10 straight years. The Cubs have lost more than 83 games all of once since 2003. How many other teams can say that in the NL?

Well, while the Cubs did have a "winning" record last year, I can't say I know a single Cubs fan who was happy with the outcome of the season. So I do agree with 3Fingers in the sense that two years running this team has not yielded wins, at least not up to snuff with what a team with a $130m payroll should be doing. Now part of this problem have been injuries we suffered, but we entered last year without a single viable option behind Aramis Ramirez at 3b. I remember both myself and Jilly complaining about this prior to the season start. What happened? We got bit hardcore.

When you come off a season like 2008, you fully expect to be in the playoffs again. We were out of the playoff picture come mid-August.

So while they did happen to win 83 games last year, the bare minimum to end the season with a winning record (assuming no rainouts), the adjective of "winner" need not apply to a team who finished over 7 games out of the playoff picture.

When you have a team that is capable of having a top 5 payroll like the Cubs are, you expect top 5 production. It didn't happen last year, it's certainly not happening this year. And while all cannot be pinned on management, it's not like they're sitting high and dry either.

poodski
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, while the Cubs did have a "winning" record last year, I can't say I know a single Cubs fan who was happy with the outcome of the season. So I do agree with 3Fingers in the sense that two years running this team has not yielded wins, at least not up to snuff with what a team with a $130m payroll should be doing. Now part of this problem have been injuries we suffered, but we entered last year without a single viable option behind Aramis Ramirez at 3b. I remember both myself and Jilly complaining about this prior to the season start. What happened? We got bit hardcore.

When you come off a season like 2008, you fully expect to be in the playoffs again. We were out of the playoff picture come mid-August.

So while they did happen to win 83 games last year, the bare minimum to end the season with a winning record (assuming no rainouts), the adjective of "winner" need not apply to a team who finished over 7 games out of the playoff picture.

When you have a team that is capable of having a top 5 payroll like the Cubs are, you expect top 5 production. It didn't happen last year, it's certainly not happening this year. And while all cannot be pinned on management, it's not like they're sitting high and dry either.

I guess I am just different. Sure it would be nice to be top 5 each year, but its really not feasible, and really outside of the Yankees and maybe Boston the next 10 or so payrolls are pretty close to each other. I dont see it as possible to stay on top for very long anymore. Honestly every team in our division sans the Pirates, have the ability to compete financially. The Cubs have the advantage, but its not like the Yankees.

I guess its just me. It would be nice to win each year, but I just don't see it as feasible anymore. The Cubs should win the division more than anyone else, but they won't win it every year.

poodski
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Who cares as long as they have a better record then Cinci!

**** you Po!!!!

:sigh:

Whats sad is you were so confident you gave me two games.

BDawk4Prez
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Whats sad is you were so confident you gave me two games.

Prove it. :shrug: