PDA

View Full Version : Does The Criteria For League MVP Change in the minds of Voters?

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
There are many criteria for MVP.

1) Does the most with the least
2) Makes teammates better and maximizes their abilities
3) The highest PER, with ppg, rpg, apg etc.
4) The best all-around offensive and defensive player in the league.
5) Best player on best team (most regular season wins)

and many many more.....

But in the post Jordan era, only 2 guys have won both the regular season MVP and the Finals MVP in the same yr. Shaquille O'Neal (2000 Lakers) and Tim Duncan (2003 Spurs).

Last 2 yrs, LeBron James, who is arguably the best player in the game, has been voted as the league MVP. However, his team have not even come close to winning a championship in the playoffs. 2 yrs ago, his Cavs were ousted in the ECF, and this yr, in the 2nd rd. Many said that he maximized the ability of his teammates, thus he made his team the best team in the league, and the Cavs had the most depth, which is why they had the most regular season wins in the league for 2 consecutive yrs, thus, 2 straight league mvps "for the best player on the best team".

Last 2 yrs, Kobe Bryant and his Los Angeles Lakers have won the NBA Championship, and Kobe Bryant has been named the Finals MVP. After winning league MVP in 2008 (he was 2 wins short of winning Finals MVP and another championship), he was 2nd behind LeBron in 2009, and 3rd behind LeBron and Kevin Durant this year.

Do you think voters might perceive things differently when looking at MVP candidates, and do you think they'll be more careful with their decisions instead of going with their preconceived notions and pre-season predictions? Do you think they might add one more criteria as.....

***The guy who can put your team in the best position to win. Plain and simple.

Sometimes, we look so much at FG%, PER, win shares, PPG etc. etc., and then look at regular season wins for the team etc, that we overlook the complete total body of work of NBA players in deciding the League MVP.

Thoughts.

hugepatsfan
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Fine. Kobe should have been the MVP. That's what you want us all to say.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with pre-season predictions. LeBron was individually the best player in the NBA the past 2 seasons, and its not even debateable. Its a regular season award.

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Fine. Kobe should have been the MVP. That's what you want us all to say.

Nope, last 2 yrs, it was LeBron. But voters, media, fans, analysts etc. etc. are too quick with picking LeBron for MVP and don't give a deep fresh of breathing air for other candidates as the season progresses.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Nope, last 2 yrs, it was LeBron. But voters, media, fans, analysts etc. etc. are too quick with picking LeBron for MVP and don't give a deep fresh of breathing air for other candidates as the season progresses.

but LeBron's team had the best record, his stats took a dump on everyone else's, and he was the best player in the league from game 1-82. Not sure what else defines an MVP.
Are you saying that until LeBron gets enough help to win a ring, his regular season's should be ignored? Do Kobe/Wade/Duncan/Gasol deserve extra points in the voting because they have won rings?
The MVP is flawed, because the media picks it. But they have gotten it right the past two years. Even the past 3 years really

Kevj77
06-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with pre-season predictions. LeBron was individually the best player in the NBA the past 2 seasons, and its not even debateable. Its a regular season award.It's more being the individually best player or Kobe would have beat Nash the year before he finally won MVP. It's the player with the best stats on a winning team. Popularity also comes into play with voters. Those are the reason Kobe only has one MVP because he was the second best player when we had Shaq, his best statistical years Lakers weren't a winning team and a lot of people just don't like him in the media.

It doesn't matter what happens in the playoffs, MVP is a regular season award and a popularity contest.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 04:20 PM
It's more being the individually best player or Kobe would have beat Nash the year before he finally won MVP. It's the player with the best stats on a winning team. Popularity also comes into play with voters. Those are the reason Kobe only has one MVP because he was the second best player when we had Shaq, his best statistical years Lakers weren't a winning team and a lot of people just don't like him in the media.

It doesn't matter what happens in the playoffs, MVP is a regular season award and a popularity contest.

which is why I said they have gotten it right the last 3 years. They for sure don't get it right many times. LeBron has created a lot of seperation individually. Durant will enter the conversation if the Thunder can reach that top 3 record area.
And any time there are two 1st team all NBA players on one team, its a tough decision period. Luckily it rarely happens.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I honestly thought LeBron should have won the past 3, and Kobe should have won in 2005 when he was a 30/5/5 player.

Bruno
06-19-2010, 04:40 PM
i honestly thought lebron should have won the past 3, and kobe should have won in 2005 when he was a 30/5/5 player.

35-5-5.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 04:44 PM
35-5-5.

sorry, you are right. But yeah, he owned that year

TheKing23
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Do you think they might add one more criteria as.....

***The guy who can put your team in the best position to win. Plain and simple.

So that's another thing LeBron wins. He led the Cavs to the best record in the league and HCA. Granted they didn't take full advantage of it, but he still put them into the best position to win during the regular season.

Sometimes, we look so much at FG%, PER, win shares, PPG etc. etc., and then look at regular season wins for the team etc, that we overlook the complete total body of work of NBA players in deciding the League MVP.

I don't understand what else you can use for evidence when awarding the MVP. Not only did LeBron **** on everyone statistically, he led his team to the best record in the league and his entire season was undoubtably the best of anyone's in the league.

What are you suggesting when you say "total body of work"?

Correct me if i'm wrong but after the first 10 or so games Kobe was leading the MVP race. It wasn't until LeBron and the Cavs really started to pick it up mid season and Kobe started to struggle with injuries that LeBron started to become the unanimous pick for the award.

There's no harm in predicting who's gonna win MVP at the start of the season... I'm pretty sure those early predictions have no implications on who the media choose at the end of the season.

Once again, I don't really understand what you're trying to say...

"Give a deep fresh of breathing air for other candidates as the season progresses"

Are you suggesting that they should give other players the chance to win the MVP award because it's getting old with LeBron winning it every year? Also, i'm pretty sure at a lot of points during the season Durant and Melo were receiving increased high praise and were being considered strong MVP candidates.

Fact of the matter is, you probably picked the worst time ever to argue about the selection of MVP. LeBron winning the last two have been as uncontroversial as you can get, and for the whole time he continues to put up the numbers he does and leads his teams to 55-60+ wins, there is no one else as deserving.