PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Career NBA Finals FG% Drops to .412

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 04:36 AM
333 for 808 = .41212871

I would like to challenge mods to keep this thread open because it's been the same posters causing problems whenever Kobe is discussed. There were a lot of interesting/quality posts in the last thread that was locked.

It should be pointed out (well it shouldn't have to be) that there is more to the game to FG%. However, Kobe is known for his scoring, "clutchness" and shot volume, so I think it's an interesting discussion to have, especially when so many people say he is "the most clutch player" in the league.

heatbb
06-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Just shows how much he tries to do and not really well. BUT, he has lead his team to 2 championships and this basically overwhelms everything else.

Kyle N.
06-19-2010, 05:02 AM
He also has 5 championships. I feel like that stat is more important. It seems like he is effective at helping his team win.

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 05:12 AM
He also has 5 championships. I feel like that stat is more important. It seems like he is effective at helping his team win.

Derek Fisher also has five championships coming up with several big plays and is also effective at helping his team win. Robert Horry has seven rings and even more big plays under his belt.

Championships are a team measure, not an individual one. Otherwise, hundreds of players would be considered better than Stockton and Malone.

It's tough to say if Kobe actually helped the Lakers win Game 7, though I'm sure most will say he undoubtedly did.

CALIABQLKRS
06-19-2010, 05:13 AM
WOW Kobe's haters wont even give him one day off even after he won his 5th ring.... Oh well keep it coming Laker haters cuz the rings are not stopping anytime soon..

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 05:15 AM
WOW Kobe's haters wont even give him one day off even after he won his 5th ring.... Oh well keep it coming Laker haters cuz the rings are not stopping anytime soon..

These are the kinds of posts I am talking about.

How is posting a statistical fact, hate? And what good does your post contribute to the discussion?

Maybe you could point out that Kobe drew a constant double team allowing his horrible shots to be rebounded by teammates who were not boxed out. Or how his defense was stellar throughout the series.

bigsams50
06-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Kobe is great no doubt about it, its just that sometimes he tries to do too much.

Korman12
06-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Kobe is great no doubt about it, its just that sometimes he tries to do too much.

This seems like a logical way to settle things.

B.JenningsMVP
06-19-2010, 05:21 AM

I agree.
It's his competitiveness and will to try and make the big plays.
He can't always come up with it though.
But he succeeds in making big plays better than failing at those moments.

kblo247
06-19-2010, 05:22 AM
And the ring count rose to 5. I'll take the trade off.

His biggest strength is his biggest weaknesses. He gets consumed by the game and wanting to win and that hurts him at times. He is the Favre or Babe Ruth of basketball as he has no real fear of swinging big and also missing big as a result of it.

B.JenningsMVP
06-19-2010, 05:27 AM

His biggest strength is his biggest weaknesses. He gets consumed by the game and wanting to win and that hurts him at times. He is the Favre or Babe Ruth of basketball as he has no real fear of swinging big and also missing big as a result of it.

Couldn't have said it better!

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 05:29 AM
That is a terrible %.

Jordan was always around 50%

That is why Jordan will always be > Kobe

I am a Laker fan and Phil Jackson agrees with me.

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Agreed

Yes it rose to 5, but we saw how thorughly the Lakers could destroy quality competition when Kobe missed time in the middle of the season, namely beating the on-fire-Jazz in Utah.

The Lakers are still one of the most talented teams in the league if you remove Kobe and they have the best coach in history.

That's not to say the Lakers would have or would not have won without Kobe, but like I said, winning rings is a team achievement.

I think it's an interesting point to bring up Favre (more so than Ruth) because he is another guy who hurts his teams sometimes and other times can almost single handedly win you games.

That is a terrible %.

FWIW, Jordan shot .481 in his six Finals appearances.

GspLAL
06-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Anyone find it funny that all these Kobe threads that popped up after he got his 5th ring is by non-Laker fans? Then when we bite on the bait we're called homers, stupid, etc because we try to defend our guy.

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Anyone find it funny that all these Kobe threads that popped up after he got his 5th ring is by non-Laker fans? Then when we bite on the bait we're called homers, stupid, etc because we try to defend our guy.

Another useless post.

There have been threads on Kobe and his shot selection all year long.

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 05:43 AM

Give it a rest accept the fact he is a great player but not better than Jordan or Magic. He never will be unless he takes better shots or at least hits more of them.

Hes got 5 rings 2 finals MVP isn't that good enough?

JiffyMix88
06-19-2010, 05:55 AM
sometimes he does dumb things like shoot with two ppl on him.....but he did shoot horribly but he still won so it will be looked passed but had he lost ppl would of said hes getting too old

SouljahPhil...
06-19-2010, 06:03 AM
So what?

He has 5 rings...

Another hater and sore loser...hahaha!

kblo247
06-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Agreed

Yes it rose to 5, but we saw how thorughly the Lakers could destroy quality competition when Kobe missed time in the middle of the season, namely beating the on-fire-Jazz in Utah.

The Lakers are still one of the most talented teams in the league if you remove Kobe and they have the best coach in history.

That's not to say the Lakers would have or would not have won without Kobe, but like I said, winning rings is a team achievement.

I think it's an interesting point to bring up Favre (more so than Ruth) because he is another guy who hurts his teams sometimes and other times can almost single handedly win you games.

I'm not going to argue with anything you said besides the bolded part. That has a hell of alot to do with the fact Odom and Fisher (obvious reason) honestly play so damn well against them. If Lamar played against every team like he attacks Boozer on both ends he would be an all star. He acts like that dude bought the last bag of sour patch kids :laugh2:

Bruno
06-19-2010, 06:11 AM
It's tough to say if Kobe actually helped the Lakers win Game 7, though I'm sure most will say he undoubtedly did.

It's not tough to say at all. Bryant scored 10 points in the final 8:46 of the 4th quarter. He attacked and got to the line in the final minutes of the 4th when it mattered the most. He lead the 9-0 Laker run that gave them the lead for good.

The team that won the rebounding battle won every single game in these finals. Bryant had 15 rebounds in game 7. Kobe and Pau combined for 33 rebounds, the entire Celtics team had 40 for the entire game. You do the math.

Laker rebounds: 53
Celtics rebounds: 40

Thats that game.

Lakerfan8032
06-19-2010, 06:32 AM
:bla::horse: Does this really need to be a thread? Just stop the hating. The guy's a winner and in the end that is all that matters. Half the seasons he's been in the league his team's have repped the Western Conference in the Finals, ultimately winning it all five times. Go spread hate where it is warranted, not here.

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 06:41 AM
It's not tough to say at all. Bryant scored 10 points in the final 8:46 of the 4th quarter. He attacked and got to the line in the final minutes of the 4th when it mattered the most. He lead the 9-0 Laker run that gave them the lead for good.

The team that won the rebounding battle won every single game in these finals. Bryant had 15 rebounds in game 7. Kobe and Pau combined for 33 rebounds, the entire Celtics team had 40 for the entire game. You do the math.

Laker rebounds: 53
Celtics rebounds: 40

Thats that game.

I agree, Kobe made some positive contributions, but I do not think those totally outweighed the negatives he brought, and that's just going back to the Brett Favre comparison.

BTW, Gasol's 9-6-2-1 was also an impressive fourth quarter

basketfan4life
06-19-2010, 06:48 AM
come on people,chill..

GspLAL
06-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Give it a rest accept the fact he is a great player but not better than Jordan or Magic. He never will be unless he takes better shots or at least hits more of them.

Hes got 5 rings 2 finals MVP isn't that good enough?

Give what a rest? did you even read my post?

carlessyen
06-19-2010, 06:56 AM
I don't know why people give morons the time of day. that is all it is about is trying to get people goin. There is no way you know anything about the game and not say Kobe is great. Just a troll with nothing better to do then sit behind a computer, and make crazy statements, and giggle like a schoolgirl when people respond. Anyone with sense knows no one in history will say Kobe was responsible for these championships. No one makes entire defensive strategies to Stop Derek Fisher so of course he will shoot a higher Percentage. I'm only responding once to tell people to stop responding, quit wasting your time arguing with a moron lol. You have a better chance and more educational argument with a fossil. I hate the Lakers, but know Kobe is great, and so do you quit being an idiot.

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't know why people give morons the time of day. that is all it is about is trying to get people goin. There is no way you know anything about the game and not say Kobe is great. Just a troll with nothing better to do then sit behind a computer, and make crazy statements, and giggle like a schoolgirl when people respond. Anyone with sense knows no one in history will say Kobe was responsible for these championships. No one makes entire defensive strategies to Stop Derek Fisher so of course he will shoot a higher Percentage. I'm only responding once to tell people to stop responding, quit wasting your time arguing with a moron lol. You have a better chance and more educational argument with a fossil. I hate the Lakers, but know Kobe is great, and so do you quit being an idiot.

I agree Kobe is great. But he isn't the greatest...

I think that is the point here. Lots of people getting out of hand saying he is the greatest ever that just isn't the case.

btw, U don't think Jordan had defense keyed to him all the time? He shot 50% in his career 48% in the finals.

Sorry Kobephiles, not the greatest ever I don't care if he gets 10 rings.

The Raven
06-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Who gives a crap. the man has 5 rings and pretty much got us here. He was phenomenal games 1-6. He just needed alittle extra help in game 7. Come on. Dont give me that BS

Bruno
06-19-2010, 07:28 AM
.It's tough to say if Kobe actually helped the Lakers win Game 7, though I'm sure most will say he undoubtedly did.

I agree, Kobe made some positive contributions, but I do not think those totally outweighed the negatives he brought, and that's just going back to the Brett Favre comparison.

There's more to the game than just FG%. Bryant struggled shooting through the first 3 quarters, but his 10 points in the final 8:46 of the 4th made up for all of that. Bryant had a +/- of +8 in the 4th quarter. His positive contributions outweighed "the negatives he brought" statistically when it mattered most, in the 4th (since we're talking about statistics here).

When you consider the fact that Rondo had 11 points for the entire game up until his three with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter it's clear Bryant was extremely effective defensively. Remember, Rondo is the barometer for the Celtics. In the 2010 postseason when Rondo's plus/minus is +2 or better, Boston was 14-1. When it is +1, even or negative, Boston was 1-8. Bryants excellent defense on Rondo is games six and seven was one of the keys in the Laker championship. Rondo was held to a +/- of -18 in game six, and a +/- of -3 in game seven. To overlook what Bryant did to Rondo defensively in games six and seven while only focusing on his FG% paints an inaccurate, distorted presentation of his full contributions as a player. Ignoring what he did defensively and as a rebounder is choosing to have a pretty one-sided perspective of viewing the game.

The winner of the rebound battle won every single game this series. It was the most important statistic in these NBA finals, not FG%. Bryant averaged more RPG than Perkins, Garnett, Wallace, Pierce, Davis, Bynum, Odom, and Artest. Only Pau Gasol averaged more RPG than Kobe Bryant in the 2010 NBA finals. That's you're shooting guard dominating the rebounds, not a forward or a center, the SG. Bryant had 15 in game seven (more than Ray Allen, Wallace and KG combined).

To say Kobe didn't help the Lakers in game 7 is wrong, period. It's not even a discussion.

carlessyen
06-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Kobe Career 45% and Jordan 49% big four ppoint difference. Wow people are crazy you could throw the point in that people are far more athletic and faster and stronger then in those days as well though. Way better training medicines, sports science , and supliments. Without a doubt the competition now far goes beyond what it was in Jordans era. Craig Ehlo get serious two left feet, best player he usually had on him was Dominque Wilkins and he wasn't no speed demon. We all see how wil things changed like when Iverson came into the league how he had his way with Jordan, he couldn't guard him for nothing one reason he retired he knew the platform had changed. Kobe is guarded nightly by people like Lebron, Pierce, Wade, quit making lame comparisons. Kobe is great not the greatest ever. Lebron James is the greatest ever when it is said and done physical specimin no one is able to slow down 6-8 240 fastest and strongest man on the court most times. He woulda ate Jordan up and spit him out. You can lie to yourself all you want. Lebron James on that same team probably wins more titles with the league as it was. You had Atlanta Hawks in the playoffs back then with players like Jon Koncak so I don't wanna hear how it was better then,no one says anythign about the heart Kobe has. 15 boards Jordan never had rebounding nights like that hardly. Plus how Kobe is win first by resigning early so the team knows he is on board. And so they canmake the moves, and get the free agents. Thats my only thing with Lebron is how he is hurting Cleveland lost them Ariza last season and Izzo this season, If he wasn't all about cash he woulda said he was on board he loved is city and was ready to win. Instead he expects them to make moves to help them win with people having no idea what he is doing. No one is gonna go to Cleveland without a good reason. If he really loved the city and team, he woulda done what it took to get the people there and he wouldn't

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Kobe Career 45% and Jordan 49% big four ppoint difference. Wow people are crazy you could throw the point in that people are far more athletic and faster and stronger then in those days as well though. Way better training medicines, sports science , and supliments. Without a doubt the competition now far goes beyond what it was in Jordans era. Craig Ehlo get serious two left feet, best player he usually had on him was Dominque Wilkins and he wasn't no speed demon. We all see how wil things changed like when Iverson came into the league how he had his way with Jordan, he couldn't guard him for nothing one reason he retired he knew the platform had changed. Kobe is guarded nightly by people like Lebron, Pierce, Wade, quit making lame comparisons. Kobe is great not the greatest ever. Lebron James is the greatest ever when it is said and done physical specimin no one is able to slow down 6-8 240 fastest and strongest man on the court most times. He woulda ate Jordan up and spit him out. You can lie to yourself all you want. Lebron James on that same team probably wins more titles with the league as it was. You had Atlanta Hawks in the playoffs back then with players like Jon Koncak so I don't wanna hear how it was better then,

Jordan was a better jump shooter and finisher than the LeBron that is the difference there.

4 point difference is a big deal over the course of a career.

carlessyen
06-19-2010, 07:47 AM
No way hes better finisher.You see Lebron do plays nightly like the ones you see in Jordans highlight reels. But its so normal for him its not made that big a deal of his strength to the basket is unparrelled, he always finishes shots most peopel wouldn't have gotten up. Jordan is a better shooter , but he wasn't soon as he came into the league took time to develop. Like Lebrons will, it already has increased majorly and will continue to do so. You see him pulling up knocking shots down from half court like its a free throw. Hes the best lie to yourself for the sake of nostalgia all day if you want. jordans numbers starting off no where near like this guy, and hes gettign his team involved you imagine if this guy shot everytime down the floor like Jordan did? Lebron could easilly avearge 36 to 40 a game but instead he gets 8 and 8 every season something Jordanmay have done once,

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 07:49 AM
No way hes better finisher.You see Lebron do plays nightly like the ones you see in Jordans highlight reels. But its so normal for him its not made that big a deal of his strength to the basket is unparrelled, he always finishes shots most peopel wouldn't have gotten up. Jordan is a better shooter , but he wasn't soon as he came into the league took time to develop. Like Lebrons will, it already has increased majorly and will continue to do so. You see him pulling up knocking shots down from half court like its a free throw. Hes the best lie to yourself for the sake of nostalgia all day if you want. jordans numbers starting off no where near like this guy, and hes gettign his team involved you imagine if this guy shot everytime down the floor like Jordan did? Lebron could easilly avearge 36 to 40 a game but instead he gets 8 and 8 every season something Jordanmay have done once,

At least you got 1 thing right.

Typically a player shoots the same fg% throughout their career. maybe small changes but pretty consistent.

sp1derm00
06-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Jordan was a better jump shooter and finisher than the LeBron that is the difference there.

4 point difference is a big deal over the course of a career.

The best way to measure someone's scoring efficiency is TS%.

Jordan's career TS% is 57% for the regular season and the playoffs.

Kobe's is 55.7% regular season and 54% in the playoffs.

Jordan is a more efficient scorer, but when you look at their normal FG%, it doesn't tell you the whole story.

Kobe takes WAY more 3FG's than Jordan.

You also have to consider that in Jordan's era, the league average for FG% was around 2% higher than it is today.

Magic Bean Fury
06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Kobe shot .409 over the seven game series. Shot .250 (6 for 24) in game seven, how could a superstar shot so low a % in a deciding game. I think a lot of you posters are either too young, read too mush ESPN, or watch too many youtube vids of Jordan with Seal playing in the background. I grew up on the game and still fell weird watching the Nba on Abc. Something about Nba on Nbc that feels more natural to me. You must forget 1996 (game 6) vs. seattle, jordan shot 5 for 19 (.263) in a deciding game. In 1997 and 1998, jordan shot 15 for 35 in game 6 deciding games vs. Utah. How could someone miss 20 shots in a game, another feat kobe couldn't accomplish this post season. Anyway, FG% is crap. More to the game than FG%. And the people who guarded Jordan in those finals, Russel and Hawkins. Haha!! When Seattle put "The Glove" on jordan he shot - Game 4 - (6 for 19) .316 ; Game 5 - (11 for 22) .500 ; and Game 6 - (5 for 19) .263.

Food for thought.

I know Kobe will never be jordan. I'm ok with that. Different time, different world. Having grown up watching Magic, jordan, kobe, etc. - and cheered or jeered all of them at one point realize every player brings their own swagger in their own era. Are you not entertained? Then STFU!

Magic Bean Fury

PraiseJesus
06-19-2010, 07:58 AM
The best way to measure someone's scoring efficiency is TS%.

Jordan's career TS% is 57% for the regular season and the playoffs.

Kobe's is 55.7% regular season and 54% in the playoffs.

Jordan is a more efficient scorer, but when you look at their normal FG%, it doesn't tell you the whole story.

Kobe takes WAY more 3FG's than Jordan.

You also have to consider that in Jordan's era, the league average for FG% was around 2% higher than it is today.

The 2% difference has a lot to do with their being more post players back in the day.

It seems like there are no good centers anymore.

Is Dwight really the best we can do?

jackdawson
06-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Kobe Bryant is an awesome player but people seriously need to stop saying he all time this, all time that. Specially, I beg younger people to gain more knowledge about the history of the game before saying stuff like "Kobe...Jordan?" or even "Kobe...Shaq?".

carlessyen
06-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Dwight is the same to Shaq was when he first started in Orlando. And those greta centers woulda been eating his junk like those were when Shaq came in. Most the centers back then were jumpshooters and finesse. Dwight is a walking muscle, and quick, and can jump out of the gym. He is young to. People suffer from nostalgiasyndrome always better back when well it wasn't Dwight would have dominated the paint like he does now. Im not to sure Pau Gasol isn't the best big man in the game in the 80's and 90's. Moses malone and Wilt I have to say were dominate paint players, but Didnt have the atheleticism of Dwight, Hofford, Gasol, Oneal in prime, and Ming. I'd take any of them over Ewing, Smits, or anyone in that era other then Hakeem. You had Bulls winning titles with Purdue, Wennington, and Longley get seriosu man. Don't tell em about the good old days, people need get out the past.

sventhedog
06-19-2010, 08:44 AM
he still won the title. if fg% was so important, give me dr j's, cousy's, wilt's, russel's fg% without googling it. the one i can remember shooting more than 50% is lebron, can you guess where he was during the finals?

JordansBulls
06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
That is a terrible %.

What does Jordan have to do with this?

RapOZo
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
3 rings as the 2nd best man on the floor
2 rings as the best man on the floor

and you still trying to say he kind of didn't help them win? oh man, that's just personal
it was a bad shooting % game 7, but what about all those clutch free throws and 1 crucial jump shot in the finals 2-3 minutes? plus 15 boards
damn son, u just violatin on hate right now

Dré
06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
he still won the title. if fg% was so important, give me dr j's, cousy's, wilt's, russel's fg% without googling it. the one i can remember shooting more than 50% is lebron, can you guess where he was during the finals?

:facepalm:

James' field goal percentage dropped to under 45.0% in the conference semis (his adjusted field goal percentage just barely rose to 47.8% when you took 3-pt shooting into account). Clearly, the Cavs would have fared much better had LeBron shot the ball better. Of course, I'm not accusing James, he still played fairly well in the semis (not as well as in the first round), but better than Kobe did at any juncture of the post-season.

He didn't reach the finals because it's simple. Like I'd said all year long (and the year before that): He had Anderson Varejao and that was pretty much it! Mo Williams was trash, Shaq was indeed trash as opposed to the previous season (yes, if Shaq could have played like he had in 08-09, the Cavaliers may have had a better chance of getting out of the second round), Delonte West was trash, Antawn Jamison was merely average and well... Outside of Varejao, I saw no one that was of the caliber player that Gasol or Odom or even an oft-injured Bynum was. To break it down for you, LeBron James IS the Cavaliers, whereas Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and Andrew Bynum ARE the Lakers. It works far better in their favor (playing on a balanced team).

This is why I know Wade, James, Boozer and Dalembert (with some key role players) would be a formidable team. Unfortunately, Dalembert got traded to the Kings, and Boozer's wore out his welcome in Cleveland. Plus you have to take salary cap into consideration (the Cavs are WAY over the limit), so the signing of Wade and Boozer would be a long shot.

3 rings as the 2nd best man on the floor
2 rings as the best man on the floor

and you still trying to say he kind of didn't help them win? oh man, that's just personal
it was a bad shooting % game 7, but what about all those clutch free throws and 1 crucial jump shot in the finals 2-3 minutes? plus 15 boards
damn son, u just violatin on hate right now

I agree, Bryant was actually the second most productive player on that Lakers squad behind Pau Gasol. But don't forget, Gasol shot a much higher percentage from the floor, put up similar assist numbers (actually slightly more), and is a really good rebounder (for a power forward). So naturally, he was more productive than Bryant.

So really, saying Bryant didn't help, is ridiculous. That nucca reaching. :facepalm:

rabzouz 96
06-19-2010, 09:46 AM
These are the kinds of posts I am talking about.

How is posting a statistical fact, hate? And what good does your post contribute to the discussion?

Maybe you could point out that Kobe drew a constant double team allowing his horrible shots to be rebounded by teammates who were not boxed out. Or how his defense was stellar throughout the series.

if this site had reps to give, id rep u for that post.

still1ballin
06-19-2010, 12:55 PM
People can never stop hating on the guy.

Raidaz4Life
06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Kobe has played some amazing defensive teams in the finals and I don't think they are given enough credit for shutting him down. Boston is one of the top 3 best defensive teams in the league, Orlando is a fantastic defensive team, Detroit was one of the best defensive teams of the decade... I mean you really have got to take into account that he isn't playing high scoring teams, he is playing strictly defensive minded teams that double and triple team him consistently. I will admit Kobe almost always tries to do too much in big games leading to poor shot selection, but that shouldn't take away from the talent he bring to the floor night in and night out. The opposing teams cater their defenses to stopping strictly Kobe... not Derek Fisher... not Robert Horry.

People also do not give Kobe enough credit for the other things he does. He single handedly shut down Rajon Rondo.... the player analysts were convinced would destroy the Lakers before the series began. People went from praising Rondo as the best PG in the league to seeing the many reasons why he still doesn't touch guys like Deron, Paul, and Nash. All thanks to Kobe's smart play on the defensive end. He also is the heart of the Lakers team. If you'll pay attention to the games the Lakers get too complacent on a regular basis but its always Kobe who picks the team up and puts them on his back... for better (game 5) or worse (game 7), People love to hate on Kobe for "insert reason here" but at the end of the day the guys wants nothing more than to be the best and the only way to be the best is by winning... which he does. The work he puts into his game is unmatched by anyone in the NBA and the fact that he is talked about in the same breath as guys like Magic, West, and yes even Jordan at the age of 31 should be testament enough to the kind of legacy he will leave behind when he retires.

hugepatsfan
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
41% is not good. Point, blank, period. But he's still a hell of a player and anyone would have him on their team.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
The OP needs to just come out and say he thinks MJ is still way better. We all know that is what he is trying to get at, but just trying to do it politely.

kobelaughsatall
06-19-2010, 01:45 PM
the man is a 5 time champ period and without him the lakers don't win. / thread please. I'm tired of these hater threads

Hawkeye15
06-19-2010, 01:48 PM
so what if he shot poorly. The Lakers crushed the C's on the glass, and played great defense when it mattered.

Vidball
06-19-2010, 01:49 PM
5 rings and maybe the best defense we've seen from a wing player (aside from Pippen) in the history of the NBA Finals. His resume is okay :D

chuckdaily85
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
it seems to me you ppl are just finding more and more ways to hate on Kobe...listen the league is totally different than it was when MJ played. There's zone defenses now, there's that half circle in the paint that controls whether its a block or a charge, which MJ didnt have. The athletes are bigger, stronger and more athletic now, then they were back in the day. Not sayin Kobe is better than MJ at all but that man has 5 titles and was one of the key members in all title runs. He has achieved so many great feats and you guys will not just let him be. Magic Johnson says this man is a top 10 player in NBA history, and thats coming from somebody who is top 10 themselves. Let him live OMG.

flea
06-19-2010, 01:53 PM
5 rings and maybe the best defense we've seen from a wing player (aside from Pippen) in the history of the NBA Finals. His resume is okay :D

Too bad it was only the second best wing defense on his own team. Also, Bruce Bowen has played in the NBA finals.

Vidball
06-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Too bad it was only the second best wing defense on his own team. Also, Bruce Bowen has played in the NBA finals.

Wasn't Rondo considered the best player on the C's this postseason??? He was, and it wasn't even close. Take a look at his stats before he faced Kobe and after he faced him. Kobe took played GREAT D on Rondo and he's played great D in the Finals for 7 of the past 11 years! Only Pippen's wing defense touches Kobe's. There's a reason the coaches vote him to the All-Defensive 1st team every year and his D always picks up another couple notches in the playoffs (as it did this year).

FOBolous
06-19-2010, 02:06 PM

maybe if yall respond with a little maturity and stop calling everyone "haters" no one will call you homers, stupid, ect. this is a legit topic. for all the talk about Kobe being clutch, a great leader, and a great offensive player...his performances in the finals have been woeful. this is a FACT. discussing this FACT is not "hating."

i think all LA fans should be barred from responding to any threads about LA or Kobe in the main NBA forum cause they obviously can't act in a mature manner in this threads and proceed to ruin the threads by trolling it. all the "you're just a hater" posts prove it.

RipVW
06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
it seems to me you ppl are just finding more and more ways to hate on Kobe...listen the league is totally different than it was when MJ played. There's zone defenses now, there's that half circle in the paint that controls whether its a block or a charge, which MJ didnt have. The athletes are bigger, stronger and more athletic now, then they were back in the day. Not sayin Kobe is better than MJ at all but that man has 5 titles and was one of the key members in all title runs. He has achieved so many great feats and you guys will not just let him be. Magic Johnson says this man is a top 10 player in NBA history, and thats coming from somebody who is top 10 themselves. Let him live OMG.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13711877&postcount=66

kozelkid
06-19-2010, 02:24 PM
maybe if yall respond with a little maturity and stop calling everyone "haters" no one will call you homers, stupid, ect. this is a legit topic. for all the talk about Kobe being clutch, a great leader, and a great offensive player...his performances in the finals have been woeful. this is a FACT. discussing this FACT is not "hating."

i think all LA fans should be barred from responding to any threads about LA or Kobe in the main NBA forum cause they obviously can't act in a mature manner in this threads and proceed to ruin the threads by trolling it. all the "you're just a hater" posts prove it.

Hear, hear!
I'm not one who usually generalizes fanbases (mainly cause I think each fanbase has its share of idiots), but seriously I have yet to see a Laker fan here who doesn't become defensive and immature over any topic that may criticize Kobe in anyway. God forbid there is some criticism on the great Kobe Bryant. :rolleyes:

I think the funniest thing of all is had the Lakers lost game 7 (and it was a damn close game that could have went either way), we'd be seeing plenty of Laker fans bashing Kobe for blowing it and having a terrible game when it mattered most. Funny, how a possibly minor detail could change opinions so much.

Chisox219, it was a worth a shot, but clearly too many fans here a far too sensitive over such matters. :shrug:

jbeezy
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM

I'll take Kobe's NBA Finals 28.6 ppg 3.9 apg .71 bpg 2.14 spg 8.0 rpg .883 ft% and .405 fg% not to mention his great d on whoever he was guarding.

Kevj77
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
The OP needs to just come out and say he thinks MJ is still way better. We all know that is what he is trying to get at, but just trying to do it politely.QFT... This is just a Kobe will never be as good as Jordan thread. Started by a Chicago/Jordan fan that feels threatened now that Kobe got a 5th ring.

Just look at his sig, it will tell you all you need to know about the true meaning of this thread.