PDA

View Full Version : What can the Pistons do this offseason to rebuild?

a15haddad
06-18-2010, 11:06 PM
The Pistons are in a pretty ****** situation right now. They have no young stars to build around, have very little cap room, and have enough good players to where they won't bottom out and get the #1 pick, but won't be good enough to contend anytime in the future. So what can they do this offseason to change that?

Obviously it starts with the draft. We have the #7 pick in a draft loaded with big man so I definitely think we should grab one. 2010draft.com has them picking Udoh: http://www.2010draft.com/mockdraft/2010mockdraft.html. I'd support that, I think he will be a defensive presence immediately and will have a career similar to Tyson Chandler.

What do you guys think?

Giannis94
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Stuckey, enough said.

Anyway, they should try and trade their early first with CHarlie V and get a expiring back or somthing. Take on an expiring. Dump cap (if its possible for their situation) and blow **** up.

still1ballin
06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Pistons forum?

a15haddad
06-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Okay you're right, I'll post this on the Pistons forum

DLeeicious
06-18-2010, 11:28 PM
They are a mess and will be for awhile. Signing BG and CV to those contracts will haunt them for awhile. I can't remember a franchise that made such a U-turn as the Pistons after the Billups - Iverson trade. Honestly as a long time Bulls fan I HATE the Pistons with a passion, but it sucks to see them so bad. What's the point of having a big rival who isn't competitive?

uprightciti
06-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Charlie v sucks gordons good when he is good get rid of char v and prince for a pick and a center they will be fine

97NYer
06-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Yea they messed up. Stuckey could have been the 2 Billups didn't have to go.

The Jokemaker
06-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Signing both ben gordon and charlie V doomed the pistons. Instead of being a player in free agency this year, they signed two role players to big time deals. Signing just one of those two would have been ok but both took it too far. Gordon is an excellent scorer but other than that won't give you much. Charlie V can shoot the tree and as a big man that's a weapon. But he too won't give you much. Two mistake signings.

What they need to do is either unload one of those guys or have a stellar draft because they need the talent. They need to ID their players of the future and build around them and acquire players that will play well with them.

Kakaroach
06-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Stuckey just can't be a legit PG in this league. He has the size, but he doesn't have the vision or passing skills as of yet, and they stalled his development by trading Chauncey Billups. Ben Gordon and Charlie V are bad contracts, but their still great bench pieces. They key is to get another PG/Big to develop in the draft

Korman12
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
I know this should be in the Piston's forum, but, I would just like to say; I have no idea what they need to do.

They don't have a sure-fire player to build around (Stuckey's fine, but not the type of player you build around), and the team is stuck behind a heap of bad contracts. I guess do whatever they can to unload the deals, but it won't be easy.

They better hope the 7th pick turns into something good. I don't think Udoh has that type of value (he's good and all, but may not merit that selection).

tdunk21
06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
they should probably try to get rid of charlie v's contract for 1 or 2 draft picks and start from there.....they need to get a good center and PG....they could maybe trade prince to get a good center....but prince is th real hard worker on the pistons team....

albertc86
06-19-2010, 01:03 AM
The Pistons were one-hit wonders, in my opinion.

abe_froman
06-19-2010, 01:37 AM
1.shop charlie v. for whatever you can get
2.beef up your bigs
3.let go of the past.if you guys are rebuilding than there's no need for rip or prince to be there

SugeKnight
06-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Keep Jonas Jerebko, Will Bynum and Ben Gordon
Draft Greg Monroe or Ekpe Udoh

Trade Stuckey, Rip, Prince, C-Ville and whoever else is on that roster for a PF a PG and picks

New Lineup
PG | Bynum
Gordon
Jerebko
PF
Monroe

Start from there

iggypop123
06-19-2010, 02:43 AM
nothing

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Trade Gordon for Hinrich and draft a tough PF/C

I think the Pistons would win at least 30 games then and gain some flexibility for the future.

JNA17
06-19-2010, 04:56 AM
pistons forum?

Catoblepas
06-19-2010, 05:10 AM
i would say trade Ben Gordon and stucky for a PG and try to get a center in the draft.. Rip and Prince can play well when they are set up right.. Both have play making skills...but are not at their best when having to handle the ball most of the game.. I just dont feel like we need 2 SG that could both be starters, while we are missing such important positions. I think Ben Wallace still has a bit more in the tank.. He probably could handle signing for another year or 2 as long as he doesnt have to play more than 25mins a game.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Trade Gordon for Hinrich and draft a tough PF/C

I think the Pistons would win at least 30 games then and gain some flexibility for the future.

LOL back to bulls

they don't want him and his terrible contract

mark1125
06-19-2010, 12:54 PM

:facepalm:

Have you watched the NBA this decade? Outside of maybe 2-3 teams, who has been a better team up until 2008-2009?

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Detroit will figure it out. I hope Stuckey pans out. If he don't take the next step by this upcoming season, he will be nothing more than an above-average player. if he knocks his jumpshots down a little better, he could be good. My biggest problem with Detroit is their ****** coach and the fact that they don't start Ben Gordon. I wish they would start Gordon over Hamilton.

Raoul Duke
06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Detroit will figure it out. I hope Stuckey pans out. If he don't take the next step by this upcoming season, he will be nothing more than an above-average player. if he knocks his jumpshots down a little better, he could be good. My biggest problem with Detroit is their ****** coach and the fact that they don't start Ben Gordon. I wish they would start Gordon over Hamilton.

The most painful part is the lack of an identity. In years past, we at least knew what kind of team we had. Right now, if I had to classify our team, I guess I'd say we're a half-court slow-it-down type of team. The problem is that if you play that style, you have to be very good at it, and we're not very good at it at all.

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
The most painful part is the lack of an identity. In years past, we at least knew what kind of team we had. Right now, if I had to classify our team, I guess I'd say we're a half-court slow-it-down type of team. The problem is that if you play that style, you have to be very good at it, and we're not very good at it at all.

Plus we have some players that could run. I honestly think they will get it fixed pretty quick. Since the Dumars regime has been in control, Losing is not really accepted. It may take 2 years, but Detroit will be fine.

JWO35
06-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Last year was a transition year... transition is probably the worst thing to watch a team go through. You really can't say the Pistons future isn't bright seeing that most players that they have aren't part of their future. Once they trade Tayshaun and Rip, their future will become at least clearer.
The Ben Gordon signing is a good FA signing IMO, I haven't seen a piston fan mad at the signing(we all know what he brings to the table). Villanueva on the other hand was somewhat disappointing in his first year, he showed flashes but he was too inconsistent.

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I would get rid of Prince and Hamilton in trades. I'm not going to list who we could get for them. I sure we could get at least one decent player or late 1st round pick. Draft Greg Monroe. Realistically he will probably be there at 7 and won't be flashy but is solid. He's got room to develop and can start right away. Give Austin Daye some minutes, 6th man minutes. He is 6'11 and can shoot better than anyone on the team. This is not a great lineup but will still be competitive. Every team in the league has to rebuild at some point. We were on a pretty impressive 10 year run. This is simple we don't need trades other than Prince and Hamilton (maybe Will Bynum if the value was there).

pg - Stuckey/Bynum
sg - Gordon/*
sf - Jerebko/Daye
pf - Monroe/Villanueva
c - Wallace/Wilcox

* - whatever we get for getting rid of Hamilton and Prince

It's called rebuilding. Were not sitting as bad as many fans on here think. We could also get a pretty good player with the mid-level this off-season. We would probably be in the lottery next year too. Our salary cap is also not as bad as people are making it out to be. Last, I would hire Bill Laimbeer as the head coach.

Big Quett
06-19-2010, 02:03 PM
who cares?....pistons forum

Raoul Duke
06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
A bright spot for us is that our GM has balls of solid rock and he's pretty clever. I think there are a small handful of smart GMs out there (Dumars, Morey, Buford, just to name a few) who have an opportunity to cash in this summer and take advantage of dumber teams who miss out on their preferred targets. It's going to be a perfect storm of opportunism.

Raoul Duke
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
who cares?....pistons forum

Dude, stop backseat modding. If they want it moved, they'll move it. This is the third thread about how bad the Pistons suck to pop up in the NBA forum in the last 24 hours, though. Maybe people wanna talk about it?

levignjw
06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't mind Ben Gordon's contract all that much, but Charlie V's is ****ing atrocious; the guys a bum.

Stuckey is not the problem. I think he has what it takes to be a legit starting PG in this league, we just need to surround him with the right players. What players these are I have no ****ing clue, but the Stons are in a pretty terrible situation right now.

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Dude, stop backseat modding. If they want it moved, they'll move it. This is the third thread about how bad the Pistons suck to pop up in the NBA forum in the last 24 hours, though. Maybe people wanna talk about it?

I agree. Most Piston fans appreciate other fans opinions.

KB24PG16
06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
they should've waited for this offseason to open their check book

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't mind Ben Gordon's contract all that much, but Charlie V's is ****ing atrocious; the guys a bum.
Stuckey is not the problem. I think he has what it takes to be a legit starting PG in this league, we just need to surround him with the right players. What players these are I have no ****ing clue, but the Stons are in a pretty terrible situation right now.

I think Gordon should be starting. I cool with Gordon's contract.

hgtiger32
06-19-2010, 02:23 PM
so glad that my Bucks didn't re-sign Charlie V!!!!

fadedmario
06-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Yeah, he's lazy

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 09:12 AM
They really can't do anything with those stupid contracts of Ben Gordon and Charlie V.

why were they signed in the first place
:facepalm:

drobe86
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM
The pistons cant do anything..... They just plain suck....

hype707
06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
get their someone to file one of those BP claims. might help.

magichatnumber9
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I really don't have a problem with this because he is asking the reg NBA fan for advice. No one just stumbles upon the Pistons forum for no reason. But anyway I think they are in a tight spot but they have to stop making gm mistakes. Maybe fire the gm and start over from scratch.

itsripcity32
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
The pistons cant do anything..... They just plain suck....

w.e the mavs are filled w/ old vets who cant win in the playoffs and choke against an 8th seed if they are seeded 1st

Gators123
06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
BG will be better next season, he played injured for most the season and when he wasn't injured for the first 10-20 games he put up better stats then he did with the bulls. He had to have surgery on his ankle a few weeks ago.

sep11ie
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM

They were pretty f'in good for more than one year guy.

central2003
06-20-2010, 04:12 PM
They need to get rid of Ben gordon and Charlie V contract or else they are def not in a good spot and will not be for the next few years.

Team*Chicago
06-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I say start off firing the GM for the Pistons to rebuild because their GM ruined the Pistons in that Billups-Iverson trade and signed Charlie and Ben.

I'm so glad that my Bulls didn't resign Ben Gordumb!!!!:D

Tony_Starks
06-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Its time for Dumars to go he's been screwing up for quite a while. The Darko thing was inexcusable but everybody overlooked it because they beat a hurt Laker sqaud.

Then trading Chauncey? That dude was the heart and soul of the team, he should've retired a Piston. THEN he tops it off with the signings of Ben and Charlie the most random wtf signings ever!

Gators123
06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Its time for Dumars to go he's been screwing up for quite a while. The Darko thing was inexcusable but everybody overlooked it because they beat a hurt Laker sqaud.

Then trading Chauncey? That dude was the heart and soul of the team, he should've retired a Piston. THEN he tops it off with the signings of Ben and Charlie the most random wtf signings ever!

Your right, everybody thought Darko would be a bust besides Dumars :rolleyes:

Chad Ford on Darko

Summary: Just about every team in the NBA has traveled to Yugoslavia to see him play. They all came away impressed. It isn't very often that you find a big man with the type of skills he possesses. He's as fundamentally sound as anyone in the draft. He'll be a top three pick in this year's draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18423

xabial
06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Trade Charlie V...

kozelkid
06-20-2010, 06:34 PM
LOL back to bulls

they don't want him and his terrible contract

Speak for yourself. I'd love Gordon back and if he wasn't injured, I don't think he'd be considered overpaid. I've said this many times, but guys like Gordon, Deng, Okafor, Iggy, etc aren't overpaid. They are market value. The problem is that with the limit being the max contract, guys like Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, etc are underpaid.

Regardless, I'd like him back.

Anyway, as for the Pistons, they need to do whatever they can to get rid of Charlie V. That's first and foremost. If it means giving away a pick, so be it. Simply an awful contract and a terrible player. Honestly, it's all Dumars' ego. He got all cocky and caught up in the idea that he once succeeded by taking outcasts and turning into a championship team, and thought he could do it again.
Regardless, Charlie V has to go. I wouldn't trade Gordon just yet though. His value is at an all time low thanks to the injury. I'd keep him and see what he can do next season, and if his value goes up, then trade him to some contender in the deadline. Maybe if his value goes up high enough and they still have Villanueva, then package them.
Same can be said for Rip and Prince. But they are 2 vets who have shown the ability to play well deep in the playoffs, so they also could draw interest either after the initial craze in FA or in deadline.
More than anything, I think they'll likely have to tank 10-11 season cause I don't think too many free agents have an eye on signing in Detroit...

poleandreel
06-20-2010, 06:42 PM
If its me, i keep charlie V.

just before he came to the pistons he averaged 17 and 6 in only 26 minutes.
that could easily become 20 and 9 in regular minutes for only 35 mill over 5 years.

thats almost a carlos boozer for half the price.
I say trade stuckey and rip for either expirings or a low post presence.
dont trade prince because he is a defensive scrappy, solid player.
you need him to cover the wades, lebrons, and other stars of the league

GET A NEW COACH!

Tony_Starks
06-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Your right, everybody thought Darko would be a bust besides Dumars :rolleyes:

Chad Ford on Darko

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18423

Everyone knew he was a promising project but I recall everyone saying he wasn't a impact now guy. More of a 2 to 3 years down the line guy. Mello and Wade were both franchise players.

aussiepiston
06-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Everyone knew he was a promising project but I recall everyone saying he wasn't a impact now guy. More of a 2 to 3 years down the line guy. Mello and Wade were both franchise players.

Alright, and if you are making a run at a championship with the best TEAM in the league (no superstar, all positions covered) what you want is a project! Rookies don't get playing time on that squad, take a guy who can replace a Wallace down the track. Problem was, Darko was a bust.
There have been busts before and there will be busts again, it was like 6 years ago and a consensus pick, move on!