PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Picking Darko- Biggest NBA Moment of the Past Decade?

ufm19
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Everyone talks about how the 2003 draft was the defining NBA moment of the past decade and will shape who wins championships for the next 10 years. They say this because of the Cavs picking LeBron, the Heat picking Wade, and the Nuggets picking Anthony (to a lesser extent Toronto picking Bosh). But those picks have netted only 1 championship so far. I think that the Pistons taking Darko over Melo was the most impactful moment of the decade because it possibly swung 3 or 4 NBA championships.

Darko was, considering who else the Pistons could have gotten and how it affected their future, maybe the #1 bust of all-time. He's #1 on 2010draft.com's list: http://www.2010draft.com/draftbusts/biggestbustsalltime.html.

Bill Simmons argued that the Pistons wouldn't have won the 2004 title if they had picked Melo because it would have ruined their chemistry. Okay, I'll accept that. But as Melo developed, you're telling me he wouldn't have been the difference in the Pistons beating the Spurs in the 2005 Finals or winning the title every year from 2006-2008, when they lost in the ECF every year? I think they win AT LEAST 2 titles during that 4 year span. Trading Darko for Melo means trading absolutely NOTHING for one of the 10 best players in the league. And the Pistons would never have traded Billups for Iverson, would have kept their core going, would have contended for titles in 2009 and 2010 most likely, and then maybe would have cleared up enough cap space to be a major player in the free agent market in 2010. That along with Melo would make them a title contender for the next decade.

But instead, right now they're in maybe the worst situation of any team in the league. They have no young stars, no high lottery selection, no cap room to get an impact player, and basically no hope. I think that pick was the biggest turning point that impacted the last 7 years and next 10 years of NBA history.

mark1125
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Everyone talks about how the 2003 draft was the defining NBA moment of the past decade and will shape who wins championships for the next 10 years. They say this because of the Cavs picking LeBron, the Heat picking Wade, and the Nuggets picking Anthony (to a lesser extent Toronto picking Bosh). But those picks have netted only 1 championship so far. I think that the Pistons taking Darko over Melo was the most impactful moment of the decade because it possibly swung 3 or 4 NBA championships.

Darko was, considering who else the Pistons could have gotten and how it affected their future, maybe the #1 bust of all-time. He's #1 on 2010draft.com's list: http://www.2010draft.com/draftbusts/biggestbustsalltime.html.

Bill Simmons argued that the Pistons wouldn't have won the 2004 title if they had picked Melo because it would have ruined their chemistry. Okay, I'll accept that. But as Melo developed, you're telling me he wouldn't have been the difference in the Pistons beating the Spurs in the 2005 Finals or winning the title every year from 2006-2008, when they lost in the ECF every year? I think they win AT LEAST 2 titles during that 4 year span. Trading Darko for Melo means trading absolutely NOTHING for one of the 10 best players in the league. And the Pistons would never have traded Billups for Iverson, would have kept their core going, would have contended for titles in 2009 and 2010 most likely, and then maybe would have cleared up enough cap space to be a major player in the free agent market in 2010. That along with Melo would make them a title contender for the next decade.

But instead, right now they're in maybe the worst situation of any team in the league. They have no young stars, no high lottery selection, no cap room to get an impact player, and basically no hope. I think that pick was the biggest turning point that impacted the last 7 years and next 10 years of NBA history.

Yes it was a bombed pick. No one can debate that, but the Pistons won a title, competed in another, and were in the ECF how many years in a row? I wouldn't say it killed the team. Considering they got that pick for Otis Thorpe, they recovered.

The team sucks now because of bad contract extensions (RIP, Maxiell), a couple long term deals for OK, but not elite talent (Villanueva, Gordon), one bad trade (Billups), and Dumars trying to hold onto the core a little too long. Add to that, I think thier head coach is awful and will be canned before the end of the 2010-2011 season.

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
The biggest moments of the past decade were LeBron, Carmelo and Wade being drafted by their respective teams.

td0tsfinest
06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Biggest Moments in the Past Decade : The Return of Michael Jordan and Michael Jordan's Final NBA game.

/Thread

Raoul Duke
06-18-2010, 05:38 PM

In what context are we "in maybe the worst situation of any team in the league"? People forget that we made the playoffs last year. When Charlotte made the playoffs this year they treated it like a milestone. So when one team makes the playoffs it's a high water mark, and when another team makes them it's the end of the franchise?
We basically had one bad year.

I love how you took Joe Dumars and his entire tenure as GM and condensed it into the four bad/questionable moves he's made since he got here. Joe has been a part of three championships in Detroit. It doesn't make you look intelligent when you downplay actual, physical evidence of success with a hypothetical argument about how he maybe coulda done better.

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Biggest Moments in the Past Decade : The Return of Michael Jordan and Michael Jordan's Final NBA game.

/Thread

It certainly got a bunch of media hype. Didn't do much to change the NBA, though.

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
In what context are we "in maybe the worst situation of any team in the league"? People forget that we made the playoffs last year. When Charlotte made the playoffs this year they treated it like a milestone. So when one team makes the playoffs it's a high water mark, and when another team makes them it's the end of the franchise?

I love how you took Joe Dumars and his entire tenure as GM and condensed it into the four bad/questionable moves he's made since he got here. Joe has been a part of three championships in Detroit. It doesn't make you look intelligent when you downplay actual, physical evidence of success with a hypothetical argument about how he maybe coulda done better.

They may have made the playoffs, but it was still a dismal year. I believe they got swept with 4 blowouts in a row. Were they even over .500 when they made the 8th spot?

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 06:22 PM

They made the playoffs at 39-43. Not exactly a stellar season.

justinnum1
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Has anyone heard the name Bargnagni before?

kozelkid
06-18-2010, 07:20 PM

He's a decent player, hardly bust. Especially considering that the 06 draft wasn't NEARLY as loaded as 03 where essentially you have Darko, the only top 5 pick who didn't become a franchise player.

td0tsfinest
06-18-2010, 07:29 PM

what about him?

JWO35
06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Yep....The Pistons missed the Playoffs for the 1st time since 2001. I'm not sure but 3yrs later they accomplished something, I just can't remember it :shrug:

Yeah, the Darko pick was arguably one of the Worst picks in NBA history. I wanted them to draft Carmelo Anthony btw. If we would have drafted him, yeah we probably would have a dynasty and Billups would still be here and all that...but getting one championship(And 6 straight ECF appearances) is good enough, some teams draft players that set them back 10yrs.

ufm19
06-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I like Joe Dumars and think he's had a good tenure overall... this topic wasn't meant to bash him at all. And at the time the Darko pick was endorsed by a lot of people. I'm not saying it was his fault or even a bad pick given what we knew at the time.

The Pistons made the playoffs in '09 as the 8th seed, and this year they won 27 games... with Stuckey, Villanueva, and Gordon, they're never going to bottom out and get the #1 or #2 pick (unless they get lucky in the lottery), but they don't have any chance of becoming a contender. That's the worst situation possible to be in. If you bottom out you can at least hope to get someone like LeBron or Tim Duncan.

CB29
06-18-2010, 08:12 PM

I actually haven't.. I've heard of an Andrea Bargnani but never this Bargnagni... Are they related?

The Jokemaker
06-19-2010, 12:33 AM
One of the big NBA moments of the decade that sticks out to me was the trade of Shaq to the Heat in the summer of 2004. This took LA out of title contention for a few years and put the heat in it for a few years. It was a huge deal and signaled the change of Lakers franchise to Kobe as the guy.

Another vote for big nba moment would be when the pistons upset the lakers in 2004. That was huge in that it led to a near complete makeover of the Lakers and began the Pistons tenure as one of the top teams in the league. That was a definitive upset that shook up the NBA after.

And lastly, another big nba moment would be the palace at auburn hills brawl with the Pacers and Pistons. That brawl single handedly dropped the Pacers from title contender status and definitely changed the NBA.