PDA

View Full Version : Game 7: Best defensive game ever??

shep33
06-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Could this go down as the best defensive game ever? I never saw such a game with that type of defensive intensity for a full 48... unbelievable.

If you've played ball before, yeah this game may have not been pretty, but you admire that defense on both sides.

What do you guys think? Best defensive game ever?

jrands
06-18-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't know, those 90's eastern conference series were pretty brutal. but yeah, pretty intense.

iggypop123
it was through 3 quarters. in the 4th everyone got tired and the defense went down

IversonIsKrazy
YES. i was thinking the same thing, but I would have to agree. Such great defensive intensity made by BOTH teams, never has there been such a defensive game

shep33
06-18-2010, 01:46 AM
That game was crazy, they worked so hard... probably the hardest I've ever seen 2 teams play since the 90s... crazy

sp1derm00
06-18-2010, 01:48 AM
I definitely agree with that assessment.

OMFG it looked like such a grind. Both sides were playing so hard, and it was amazing and frustrating at the same time. They seemed infinitely more intense on defense than on offense.

shep33
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM
I definitely agree with that assessment.

OMFG it looked like such a grind. Both sides were playing so hard, and it was amazing and frustrating at the same time. They seemed infinitely more intense on defense than on offense.

Man scoring wasn't coming easy for anyone, unbelievable defense... Again I've never seen anything like it since maybe the mid 90s.

Hard fought game, and it was the type of game where the stars didn't have a huge impact offensively, other guys like Rasheed and Ron who we don't expect to produce efficiently offensively did.

sargon21
06-18-2010, 02:00 AM
i wish the game was played like this all the time, meaning the physicality

JNA17
06-18-2010, 02:38 AM
one of the best for sure definitely.

shep33
06-18-2010, 02:45 AM
i wish the game was played like this all the time, meaning the physicality

I do too, haha but you know what everybody was dead at the end of the game, everybody left their hearts out there.

No way players would last through a 40 game season if they played like that, but still it was an amazing effort.

Chronz
06-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Yes because the quality of the 2 offenses. The Pacers-Pistons series a few years back had some really ugly #'s but they were mediocre offensive teams to begin with. These guys locked down some truly great offensive players.

JiffyMix88
06-18-2010, 04:26 AM
most 90s playoffs games =s the game last night i really like the way the refs let things go in the first 3 quarters. the last quarter i was not happy with all the touch fouls but the nba needs to let them play defense again.

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll say this: This series was the best defensive series I've seen in a long time. People forget how talented L.A. is offensively. Boston consistently held them to low scoring totals.

Joshtd1
06-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I find it funny how people said this defensive game, and defensive series was so exciting and fun to watch..yet when the Pistons and Spurs played a great defensive series it was so boring.

Guess the difference is that Boston and LA are big city markets, so when they play defense its considered exciting.

RipVW
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I'll say this: This series was the best defensive series I've seen in a long time. People forget how talented L.A. is offensively. Boston consistently held them to low scoring totals.

Yeah, going into the finals, the Lakers had 11 games in a row of being over 100 points. They got that in game one but after that, nada. They went 6 in a row never reaching 100 after the Celtics made adjustments.

RaiderLakersA's
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I find it funny how people said this defensive game, and defensive series was so exciting and fun to watch..yet when the Pistons and Spurs played a great defensive series it was so boring.

You may be onto something there. When I watch defensive games in the NFL, no matter who the teams are, I love it. When I turn on boxing or extreme fighting competitions and see two warriors going toe to toe, I'm on cloud nine.

But as for the NBA, unless I'm emotionally invested in one of the teams, I usually don't care much for low scoring, physical, defensive games. I want to see finesse, strategy, endurance, skill, and accuracy. I want to see the ball go into the hoop and offense breaking down defenses, not elbows being thrown to the solar plexus or players getting sprawled out on the floor. Outside of the art of the blocked shot and setting screens, I think the NBA is better off without all of the extracurriculars.

still1ballin
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Guess the difference is that Boston and LA are big city markets, so when they play defense its considered exciting.

I think maybe they don't have that big superstar name like a Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett.

GSW Hoops
06-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes because the quality of the 2 offenses. The Pacers-Pistons series a few years back had some really ugly #'s but they were mediocre offensive teams to begin with. These guys locked down some truly great offensive players.

I thought that was a great series. I'm not sure why people said it was "boring."

Lloyd Christmas
06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I think it was more poor shooting due to tired legs then great defense. Just look at the missed free throws, they were all exhausted. Not saying it was bad defense but best ever?

Sox72
06-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, this was the best defensive game EVER. Also the most anticipated Game 7 EVER. Kobe is the best player EVER. And Rajon Rondo is the best point guard EVER.

Young2Kinsler
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Defense? No, Boring? Yes. That's called offensively challenged, what a boring series.

kblo247
06-18-2010, 02:26 PM
That game to me was like the ending of Rocky. 2 fighters that were totally gassed just throwing weak pop shots at one another and trying to keep their footing. It wasn't beautiful, but it was great to watch because you could see that both teams wanted it and left everything they had on the floor.

Joshtd1
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
But as for the NBA, unless I'm emotionally invested in one of the teams, I usually don't care much for low scoring, physical, defensive games. I want to see finesse, strategy, endurance, skill, and accuracy. I want to see the ball go into the hoop and offense breaking down defenses, not elbows being thrown to the solar plexus or players getting sprawled out on the floor. Outside of the art of the blocked shot and setting screens, I think the NBA is better off without all of the extracurriculars.

Well Im with you, unless its the Spurs I would prefer to watch a high offense kind of game...but even then if two teams are battling, going at it I love these grind it out games because it comes down to which team ends up executing at the end. As a true basketball fan I love and can/will watch either game, whether its high offense, or great defense.

It just kind of bothers me as Spurs fan though to hear how boring our team was because they were a defensive team..but when the Celtics and Lakers play good defense they are exciting.

kblo247
06-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Well Im with you, unless its the Spurs I would prefer to watch a high offense kind of game...but even then if two teams are battling, going at it I love these grind it out games because it comes down to which team ends up executing at the end. As a true basketball fan I love and can/will watch either game, whether its high offense, or great defense.

It just kind of bothers me as Spurs fan though to hear how boring our team was because they were a defensive team..but when the Celtics and Lakers play good defense they are exciting.

It has alot more to do with the fact Kobe, Pierce, Garnett, Gasol, Allen, and Odom are known for scoring

Joshtd1
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
It has alot more to do with the fact Kobe, Pierce, Garnett, Gasol, Allen, and Odom are known for scoring

Duncan/Parker/Manu ?? They arent known for scoring? Those 3 are better scorers then everyone on that list besides Kobe and Pierce..

I think its more the fact that the Spurs are small market team, and has a bad rep of being dirty with Bowen/Horry before, so there are alot of people who didnt like them.

kblo247
06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Duncan/Parker/Manu ?? They arent known for scoring? Those 3 are better scorers then everyone on that list besides Kobe and Pierce..

I think its more the fact that the Spurs are small market team, and has a bad rep of being dirty with Bowen/Horry before, so there are alot of people who didnt like them.

Well let me put it this way, the LA role players are known for scoring more as are the Celtic role players. Sheed, Artest, Nate, Baby, and even Fisher all have the capability of getting 10-15 a night which really wasn't true for the Spurs and Piston role players besides Horry.

JordansBulls
06-18-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200506230SAS.html

Spurs 81
Det 74

quade36
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Its really, really hard to say any game in this century is anywhere near as good defensively then games of the past. Two main reasons why. 1. Handcheck fouls. In the past a defensive player was able to put their hands on an offensive player. 2. (the main reason) Zone defense. Zone defense is designed to spread a defense hence individuals work less. With these two reasons, you can't compare this game to great defensive seasonal games of the past, let alone playoff games.

69centers
06-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Lots of great defense, but many players on offense also looked tentative and forced a lot of shots they could have made in a regular season game, even with the same defense on them. Everyone was a little on edge due to it being the last game, and it shows up more in the offense plays. You can be aggressive and buckle down easier on defense when you're in a one and done game. A lot harder to clamp down and follow through with your offense.

albertc86
06-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't think so. The game would've gone a lot differently if Kobe was hitting his shots.

adidas2307
06-19-2010, 01:23 AM
No.
On a side note, this Final was probably one of the most boring Finals of the decade. Maybe it's because I dislike both the Celtics and the Lakers? I'm not sure, but this series just did not cut it for me.

ChiSox219
06-19-2010, 03:06 AM
No

Go watch Game 7 of the 2005 Finals

Or basically any EC playoff game from the 90s

UnWantedTheory
06-19-2010, 03:26 AM

My thoughts exactly.

UnWantedTheory
06-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Yes, this was the best defensive game EVER. Also the most anticipated Game 7 EVER. Kobe is the best player EVER. And Rajon Rondo is the best point guard EVER.

Are you high or just being sarcastic? Sarcastic I hope.

The Raven
06-19-2010, 07:44 AM
I wouldnt say best defensive game ever but it has to at leas be up there with the best of them

Sox72
06-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Are you high or just being sarcastic? Sarcastic I hope.

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm was pretty clear. It's beyond comical to me how after every game/moment someone will come on here and post how it was the best ___ ever. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

ShockerArt
06-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Both teams played extremely hard on defense. But, I don't think it was the defenses that caused Ray Allen to miss all those open shots and the Lakers to miss a ton of free throws. The first half featured some fairly putrid offense that made the good defenses look even better.