PDA

View Full Version : Is the Celtics' Window now closed?

iggypop123
06-18-2010, 01:31 AM
they are getting up there in age. sheed is considering retirement. perkins may not be healthy for the start of the regular season. most of the 2010 class will likely go to the eastern conference. are they done contending?

bigsams50
06-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Yes.

still1ballin
06-18-2010, 01:42 AM
yes

RadiantShot
06-18-2010, 01:42 AM
No.
People said the same thing this season, and last season.
Don't underestimate the heart of a champion. That's all I'll say.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-18-2010, 01:45 AM
yes.

marlinsfan24
06-18-2010, 01:45 AM
I'd say yes. KG didn't look like his old self in the Finals, Allen's likely gone. Perkin's sustained a major injury, and Nate Robinson is likely gone as well. The teams going to basically fade out like the 2007-2010 Miami Heat and then make a huge rise again.

mia305king
06-18-2010, 01:49 AM
yes

robdizzle3
06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
I wanna say yes, but, I said the same thing last year and they proved me wrong big time. We shall see what is done in the off season. Will Allen be back? I dont think they will worry about Sheed that much.

JordansBulls
06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Their window will close next year when they play the Bulls with Lebron.

montybeasty
06-18-2010, 02:04 AM
They'll make some moves im sure can't write them completely off.

They still have rondo to build around and pierce and kg wasn't all that bad. Ray sucked but he'll be replaced and so would sheed .

Look for the celts to be rite back in it next year.

JNA17
06-18-2010, 02:06 AM
no. With the way they played this post season, i see the celtics getting better role players and making that one last run next year.

hugepatsfan
06-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Absolutley. That's why this loss hurts so much and I can't expcept any of this (A for effort" stuff. They won't get another chance with this core. It's a shame, because if KG had never hurt his knee, the window might be open for another 2-3 years (depending on his natural decline). But 33 year old 7 footers usually get injuries. You just hope for your guy to be the exception, you know. But that was the last chance they had to win with this group, and it's a long way to get back with the future core. Wehave Rondo and Perk, but we need to add a great scorer before we have the foundation of a championship squad.

what54!?
06-18-2010, 02:12 AM
YES THat **** is

JNA17
06-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Absolutley. That's why this loss hurts so much and I can't expcept any of this (A for effort" stuff. They won't get another chance with this core. It's a shame, because if KG had never hurt his knee, the window might be open for another 2-3 years (depending on his natural decline). But 33 year old 7 footers usually get injuries. You just hope for your guy to be the exception, you know. But that was the last chance they had to win with this group, and it's a long way to get back with the future core. Wehave Rondo and Perk, but we need to add a great scorer before we have the foundation of a championship squad.

if the celtics are going to rebuild this off-season, i say don't resign pierce and allen, trade KG and sheed for expirings, keep perk and rondo for ur future, sign melo in the off-season and possibly someone else.

Your welcome :D

BradyIsTheMan12
06-18-2010, 02:17 AM

Haha not happening.

As for the thread, yes the Celtics window is closed.

LA_Raiders
06-18-2010, 02:20 AM
no, rondo & Perk are just getting better, add another player like joe Johnson and they are there again...

what54!?
06-18-2010, 02:21 AM
they got a work out a S&T............

Knowledge
06-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Once FA is over their will be at least 2 more powerhouse teams in the east and both those powerhouse teams may be the best in league, not just the east, which is bad news for Cs and anybody else in the east. Take your pick as to who those 2 teams will be.

showtym24

Got some big dreams JB. And yes there window has closed IMO. But we'll see what happens in this summer maybe thet can reload.

RipVW
Yeah, its not just about losing a lot of players; theyre also losing the coach who is most responsible for their defense, which has been the strength of their teams.

hugepatsfan
06-18-2010, 02:30 AM
if the celtics are going to rebuild this off-season, i say don't resign pierce and allen, trade KG and sheed for expirings, keep perk and rondo for ur future, sign melo in the off-season and possibly someone else.

Yup. Let Ray walk. Let Pierce walk next year. Trade KG to ORL for VC (expiring deal, ORL needs a real PF so Shard can play SF). Hope Sheed retires. Then the Celts can make the following moves:

1.) Celts need to find a way to draft SG James Anderson in the first round this year.

2.) Sign Melo next offseason to replace Pierce.

3.) Address the PF spot either with the cap space they would have in 2011 (they would have close to a max deal left after signing Melo), use the MLE on a guy like David Lee this year if he can't find a deal (though I don't think he would be the answer), or draft someone in 2011.

Korman12
06-18-2010, 02:32 AM
A lot of it depends more so on how much the Eastern Conference changes after after the draft. Assuming much of the conference will be completely shifted, the competition could become a lot more difficult.

jackdawson
06-18-2010, 02:38 AM
One of the top teams? Yes.

Championship possibility? NO.

Akshay
06-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Well, i think they could pick up a decent free agent to help w/ some scoring, maybe pick up someone decent in the draft. They still i think have a year or 2 left in the tank for the Celts.

phoenix_bladen
06-18-2010, 02:48 AM
i still think the celtics have one last run in them next year

everyone counted them out this year but i still think they can reload this off season and still be contenders

shep33
06-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Unfortunately yes, even if you don't look at the ages of the players... Is Doc coming back?
Thibs is gone. Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Nate are free agents. They probably can't afford to bring in anoter very good player cause they're paying KG $40 mill over the next 2 seasons, Pierce around $20 mill next season. So many factors that can really cause this team to maybe not break up, but be very different next season.

Hellcrooner
06-18-2010, 02:55 AM
No

rondo is going up
ToNY allen showed that he may be a reiable starter and ready to make the most of the oportunity to play if the other allen walks.

Kg had a god playogfs and doctors say his injury takes 13 months to fully heal so he shoudl be back to 18 and 10 shape next season.

Perk is reliable

they will ad some nice vets and be comptitive yet again.

Switch
06-18-2010, 03:04 AM
It really all depends where LeBron signs IMO. If LeBron goes to Chicago, then I don't think any team really has a shot against them except Orlando.

DfinFan1
06-18-2010, 03:07 AM
why would their window be closed? they still have Pierce and Garnett, not to mention Rondo and Big Baby Davis. even if they lose Ray Allen, there's plenty of free agents out there whom they could sign. everyone counted them out this year and look where they ended up. also, if Lebron leaves the Cavs, there's one less powerful team in the east. whatever team he goes to won't be a championship contender right away, especially if its the Knicks.

stawka
06-18-2010, 03:08 AM
Did someone bump this thread from last year?

leftymo
06-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Celtics are toast.... doc is done, KG is done, Allen is done...

good bye...

leftymo
06-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Celtics are toast.... doc is done, KG is done, Allen is done...

good bye...

xbrackattackx
06-18-2010, 03:14 AM
No,Doc will come back. They will sign some veterans and give it one last hard run.

nr19
06-18-2010, 03:17 AM
i think the Celtics should explore a sign and trade for one of the big potential free agents.

Get something done to bring in Wade or aim huge and at least try to get Lebron. If you have to deal Pierce you do it. What free agent wouldn't want to play in Boston? so much history and tradition and some great pieces in place. If I was a FA I'd be drooling over the chance to play in that city in front of those great fans.

Rondo is a star and he's only going to get better.

Hustlenomics
06-18-2010, 03:20 AM
No.

^

yankkiller
06-18-2010, 03:27 AM
overall we need to get guys that can create their own shot.

so don't resign allen, or nate, Marquis Daniels, Lester Hudson, Marcus Landry, or Brian Scalabrine trade away Rasheed Wallace, to clear up cap space

sign RUDY GAY 12 mill a year, sign JOSH HOWARD for 5 mill a year, sign and trade for J.J. REDICK give up perkins, then sign brandon haywood for 6 million a year.

2011 team
PG Rondo
SG Pierce
SF Gay
PF Garnett
C Haywood
PG,SG Reddick
SG,SF,PF Howard
PF,C Davis
PF,C Williams

OA SLAY
06-18-2010, 03:27 AM
why dont you wait till October to post this?

OA SLAY
06-18-2010, 03:31 AM
overall we need to get guys that can create their own shot.

so don't resign allen, or nate, Marquis Daniels, Lester Hudson, Marcus Landry, or Brian Scalabrine trade away Rasheed Wallace, to clear up cap space

sign RUDY GAY 12 mill a year, sign JOSH HOWARD for 5 mill a year, sign and trade for J.J. REDICK give up perkins, then sign brandon haywood for 6 million a year.

2011 team
PG Rondo
SG Pierce
SF Gay
PF Garnett
C Haywood
PG,SG Reddick
SG,SF,PF Howard
PF,C Davis
PF,C Williams
(
why would you rather have Haywood over Perkins?(crazy) Pierce is not a SG!

Rosh
06-18-2010, 03:34 AM
They're cooked.

OA SLAY
06-18-2010, 03:37 AM
What would be the titile of this post be if they won?

dodie53
06-18-2010, 03:38 AM
halfway maybe

RipVW
06-18-2010, 03:38 AM
No

rondo is going up
ToNY allen showed that he may be a reiable starter and ready to make the most of the oportunity to play if the other allen walks.

Kg had a god playogfs and doctors say his injury takes 13 months to fully heal so he shoudl be back to 18 and 10 shape next season.

Perk is reliable

they will ad some nice vets and be comptitive yet again.

Tony Allen is a free agent.

hugepatsfan
06-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Tony Allen is a free agent.

And a wildly inconsistant player that can't be counted on. His defense is great, but he can single handedly kill an offense.

RipVW
06-18-2010, 03:43 AM
And a wildly inconsistant player that can't be counted on. His defense is great, but he can single handedly kill an offense.

Yeah, it was hard not to notice all the point blank shots he missed. But its still a guy with a nice skillset that they might have to replace.

hugepatsfan
06-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Yeah, it was hard not to notice all the point blank shots he missed. But its still a guy with a nice skillset that they might have to replace.

I hope we let him go. The Celtics have two options - rebuild or make one last attempt. I'll list the 2nd plan now:

1.) resign Ray
2.) pray that Nate accepts the bi-annual exception
3.) sign John Salmons to the MLE

LINEUP:
PG: Rondo, Nate
SG: Ray, Salmons, James Anderson (I really hope they find a way to draft him even if they have to jump up in the draft)
SF: Pierce, Salmons
PF: KG, Baby, Sheed
C: Perk, Sheed, Baby

That's 10 guys right there. They could resign Scal and Sheldon Williams for big man depth and maybe add a veteren PG for depth (like Lindsey Hunter for you guys) Then buy some picks to get a couple of young players to develop.

Tragedy
06-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Yes.
Easy answer, and I agree. All these guys are just getting too damn old. Time to replace Ray Allen first.

PLAYERS FAN
06-18-2010, 04:05 AM

I wonder why you said Lebron will win it next year?:laugh2:

kikeyanez
06-18-2010, 04:05 AM
they lost by 4 points in a game 7 on the road! you are stright up nuts to even consider breaking up the big 4

PrettyBoyJ
06-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I think there run is over.. I'm not saying this because of there age or losing players, just simply because the East it going to change this summer and the shift in power will Leave Boston in the Bottom Half of the east.. after July 1st, we can start getting a better picture of everythin but Boston won be contenders anymore, especially if they lose ray allen which looks like it will happen..

coloradobuff
06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
no they can still make noise next yr..

bostncelts34
06-18-2010, 09:55 AM
All depends what happens this off season.

Ray is a FA, Paul can opt out, sheed will probably retire, and KG even has hinted of retirement. Doc might be gone, and Thibodeau has already left. So many things up in the air.

If KG and ray dont come back, and sheed. That frees up ALOT of money.

GSRaider
06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
No...

If their roster stays the same, they have 1 more year...

But let's wait and see... They may shake up their roster during the offseason...

m26555
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I think they have one more year left in them.

RaiderLakersA's
06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, the Celtics team as we currently know it is done. Doc Rivers is going to step away. Ray Allen is gone. Sheed will retire. Paul Pierce, although the Mr. Celtic of the modern era, should opt out of his contract and sign with the Warriors or Clippers. It's getting late in his career and it's time for him to come back to California. Perkins will be out for at least the first part of next season and he may not be 100% until the following season. Garnett and Rondo, even with fillers, can't carry this team alone. Yes, the current incarnation of the Celtics is done.

...However...

This presents an opportunity for them to rebuild in a major way. There are plenty of FA's out there who claim they want to win a title. If I'm one of those players, the Celtics are one of the organizations that I'm looking at seriously. Even LeBron, Bosh, Amare, Dirk, etc., should give some serious thought to seeing what the possibilities are with the Celtics. Add an experienced coach like Jeff Van Gundy in place of Doc, and you could have another Eastern Conference contender in 2010-2011. Easy.

futureman
06-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I believe the window is closed as far as Garnett, Allen, and Pierce are concerned. They need to get some players around Rondo and they will be back in it.

ShakeN'Bake
06-18-2010, 11:57 AM
With this roster I think they have one more year with a deep playoff run, but after that its closed.

m26555
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, the Celtics team as we currently know it is done. Doc Rivers is going to step away. Ray Allen is gone. Sheed will retire. Paul Pierce, although the Mr. Celtic of the modern era, should opt out of his contract and sign with the Warriors or Clippers. It's getting late in his career and it's time for him to come back to California. Perkins will be out for at least the first part of next season and he may not be 100% until the following season. Garnett and Rondo, even with fillers, can't carry this team alone. Yes, the current incarnation of the Celtics is done.

...However...

This presents an opportunity for them to rebuild in a major way. There are plenty of FA's out there who claim they want to win a title. If I'm one of those players, the Celtics are one of the organizations that I'm looking at seriously. Even LeBron, Bosh, Amare, Dirk, etc., should give some serious thought to seeing what the possibilities are with the Celtics. Add an experienced coach like Jeff Van Gundy in place of Doc, and you could have another Eastern Conference contender in 2010-2011. Easy.
You listed a whole mess of statements there that you simply cannot back up with facts at this point.

First of all, it is not a definite that Allen is gone. I could very well see him going for one last run with this team next season. It's not like any other team is going to blow him away with big money on the open market, so I actually think he will more than likely stay.

Second of all, what makes you think Doc Rivers stepping away is such a sure thing? Now I don't know what's going through Rivers' head, but I find it hard to believe that he is going to walk on this note. Losing a game seven in the NBA Finals in that fashion? I can't see that sitting well with him. I think he returns next season.

You also said Pierce "should" sign with the Clippers or Warriors. What the heck? Just because he grew up on the west coast doesn't mean he wants to end his career with a California team that has absolutely no chance of winning anything anytime soon. If Pierce doesn't retire a Celtic, I will be absolutely stunned.

Boston can come back with this same core next year and contend for another championship. Does it have to tweak its roster a little bit? Sure, but I see the Celtics reloading rather then retooling.

RaiderLakersA's
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
You listed a whole mess of statements there that you simply cannot back up with facts at this point.

First of all, it is not a definite that Allen is gone. I could very well see him going for one last run with this team next season. It's not like any other team is going to blow him away with big money on the open market, so I actually think he will more than likely stay.

Second of all, what makes you think Doc Rivers stepping away is such a sure thing? Now I don't know what's going through Rivers' head, but I find it hard to believe that he is going to walk on this note. Losing a game seven in the NBA Finals in that fashion? I can't see that sitting well with him. I think he returns next season.

You also said Pierce "should" sign with the Clippers or Warriors. What the heck? Just because he grew up on the west coast doesn't mean he wants to end his career with a California team that has absolutely no chance of winning anything anytime soon. If Pierce doesn't retire a Celtic, I will be absolutely stunned.

Boston can come back with this same core next year and contend for another championship. Does it have to tweak its roster a little bit? Sure, but I see the Celtics reloading rather then retooling.

The entire thread is speculative and conjecture, whether on the affirmative or not. Ultimately we all have to see how this shakes out, don't we?

m26555
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
The entire thread is speculative and conjecture, whether on the affirmative or not. Ultimately we all have to see how this shakes out, don't we?
I obviously agree, but it just seemed like you were stating all of those things to be definitive facts.

RaiderLakersA's
06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I obviously agree, but it just seemed like you were stating all of those things to be definitive facts.

Ahh. The part about Pierce signing with the Clippers should have been a hint that I was giving a speculative stream of conciousness. Ditto with LBJ signing with the Celtics. :)

GOON MUSIC
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
i remember readin on here someone said 5 more years smfh

thedfactor
06-18-2010, 12:32 PM
This was Boston's final chance with this core. Ray Allen won't be back and KG is pretty much on the tail end of his career.

ackar
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
No, why because that is why you have to play the game. The Celtics proved if you rest your stars and still get a decent seeding you can go far. They took the Lakers to game seven should have one but they did not have enough offense down the stretch so until they lose on the curt consecutively then No it is not.

still1ballin
06-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I'd say let things play out on themselves. Many people doubted Celtics this year saying they are over the hill, Garnett is too old, they cannot beat Lebron and the Cavs and they done so. No one really expected them to be in the finals. I am not gonna doubt them again, and others shouldn't. They can easily improve their bench, tweek some things here and there and be back in the finals.

CowboysKB24
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM

LeBron's window will close when he runs into LA and the best player in the world Kobe Bryant.

awmathewsjr
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM

OK. The Celts don't have the option of not re-signing P.Pierce and losing R.Allen won't hurt because with the exeption of game 2 he was garbage.
Sheed will have an expiring contract himself this coming up year so why would the Celts trade his expiring contract for another one and what GM in their right mind is going to give up an expiring contract for KG's 2yr mega contract. And how do you plan on signing Melo when you're so far over the cap it's pitiful. You wannabe GMs kill me.

But getting back to the question, NO. I don't think their window is closed, I think it's closing but not quite closed.
They're bringing everyone back except R. Allen possibly.
They're gonna sign a SG/SF to the MLE whether it's R.Allen, M.Miller, K.Korver or J.Salmons.
So I predict 1 more good year before the front office overhauls the team.

JOSKOMANG4
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Do ppl think Ray Allen would settle for the MLE??

JOSKOMANG4
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
What if.. just to win a title.. Lebron James signs with boston for vets minimum(1 yr deal)!

C) Perkins
PF) Garnett
SF) Pierce
SG) Lebron James
PG) Rondo

Da Knicks
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Stern will make them good in about 3 years again but for right now he needs the other two big markets to come up. Here we go knicks and bulls will ride high once again thank you stern...;)

Tragedy
What if.. just to win a title.. Lebron James signs with boston for vets minimum(1 yr deal)!

C) Perkins
PF) Garnett
SF) Pierce
SG) Lebron James
PG) Rondo
Would be insane, but would never happen.

they lost by 4 points in a game 7 on the road! you are stright up nuts to even consider breaking up the big 4
Eh. Breaking up Ray from the group isn't the end of the world with Rondo's improving offensive skillset. I'm very interested in seeing what the Celtics do at SG this next season, though.

m26555

C) Perkins
PF) Garnett
SF) Pierce
SG) Lebron James
PG) Rondo
There is a better chance that Tony Allen signs a max deal.

Da Knicks
06-18-2010, 01:27 PM
you mean Pau Gasol the best team player in L.A.?

awmathewsjr
06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Do ppl think Ray Allen would settle for the MLE??

At this point in his career he dosen't have too many other options. It will either the MLE or a contract similar to Sheed's.

sep11ie
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I hate the Celtics but:

Why I say maybe not

Perkins can EASILY be replaced
Most of the FA class was already in the East
Sheed was horrid all year

Why I say maybe so

Rondo is OVERRATED, if you force him to shoot or teammates aren't making shots, he's worthless on the offensive end.
Garnett is almost done(thank god)
Pierce can't dominate games any longer

sep11ie
06-18-2010, 01:56 PM
There is a better chance that Tony Allen signs a max deal.

:clap::clap:

drobe86
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
It's all over. Celts are done but they had a great run though....

Tragedy
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
It's all over. Celts are done but they had a great run though....
LOL.

You'd think after EVERYONE said we couldn't beat the Heat, Cavs, or Orlando that people might not underestimate us. But, apparently they'll say we're done again.

We'll be back in the Playoffs next year, and we'll probably coast our way to it again. That's the beauty of the East.

IndyRealist
06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
They need to acquire more than Rasheed Wallace and Nate Robinson if they're going to attempt it, but I don't see why they couldn't contend again. They handled Orlando, they handled Cleveland. If Perkins didn't go down, they'd likely be celebrating in Boston. LA's size and rebounding is what did in Boston.

Perkins is still relatively young, and he's one of the better defensive C's in the game. Rondo's a stud, and Pierce and KG can still carry the team some nights. If Ray Allen resigns, they'd be well served by getting a young, athletic shooter to fill the gap. I'd say Kevin Martin, but I doubt anyone's prying him from Houston. But what they REALLY need is a bench and specifically a backup PG.

hype707
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
they dont win another championship

Hustlenomics
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM

C) Perkins
PF) Garnett
SF) Pierce
SG) Lebron James
PG) Rondo

they can let ray walk and convince lebron to go for a run ..but i doubt his ego will allow it

The Raven
06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
I honestly believe it is. KG isnt the same person. He might have all the desire in the world but he just isnt there physically anymore. With Doc possibly leaving, i think its shut for good

sventhedog
06-19-2010, 08:55 AM
i think they will try to make changes. but i feel that their window is not just closed, it's locked.

blastmasta26
06-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I think it is done. Rondo and Perkins are great and young, but KG's play has dropped off and Pierce is not the same consistent threat. Ray Allen and Doc Rivers might be gone as well. I think Boston should look to reload, add some young pieces in the offseason and try to deal KG for an expiring. I don't see Boston letting go of Pierce, he will probably be a Celtic for life, so they just need to build around Rondo and Perkins.

Iron24th
06-19-2010, 08:59 AM
They're done.

This team was built for a 1-2 years opportunity,they won 1,that's it,now the door is definitely closed,time for them to move on and rebuild.

Iron24th
06-19-2010, 09:05 AM
No.

Last time I checked,we're back to back Champions,face it,how long will you call them champions?

Keep dreaming boy,I can't even remember a right prediction from you the last two years.

97NYer
06-19-2010, 09:15 AM
No, with the same roster you don't just disappear. I see them still as a 4-6 seed.

1.Knicks with LeBron/Bosh
2.Heat with Wade/Amare
3.Magic w/ almost same lineup
4.Celtics
5.Nets w/ Harris/ J.Johnson/Favors/Lopez
6.Atlanta w/ same team minus JJ (Crawford starting)
7.Milwaukee w/ same team
8.Wizards w/ Arenas/Wall

9.Philly w/ Turner
10.Indiana same team

Iron24th
06-19-2010, 09:17 AM
No, with the same roster you don't just disappear. I see them still as a 4-6 seed.

1.Knicks with LeBron/Bosh
2.Heat with Wade/Amare
3.Magic w/ almost same lineup
4.Celtics
5.Nets w/ Harris/ J.Johnson/Favors/Lopez
6.Atlanta w/ same team minus JJ (Crawford starting)
7.Milwaukee w/ same team
8.Wizards w/ Arenas/Wall

9.Philly w/ Turner
10.Indiana same team

Stop playing NBA 2K man.:facepalm:

Lil Rhody
06-19-2010, 09:20 AM
not if rondo keeps improving

Dieselpi
06-19-2010, 01:36 PM

melo isnt a free agent
and who is going to wast expiring deals on kg and sheed?

hugepatsfan
06-19-2010, 01:39 PM
melo isnt a free agent
and who is going to wast expiring deals on kg and sheed?

KG only has 2 years left on his deal. If BOS really wants to move him, I can see a Vince Carter for KG trade with ORL. They need a real PF to put Shard at SF. KG's intensity and leadership will help Dwight Howard out especially.

And if the Celts let Ray walk this year (hopefully replace him with James Anderson in the draft) and let Pierce leave next year, they would have the cap space to sign Melo NEXT offseason.

The Final Boss
06-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, courtesy of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Dieselpi
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM
KG only has 2 years left on his deal. If BOS really wants to move him, I can see a Vince Carter for KG trade with ORL. They need a real PF to put Shard at SF. KG's intensity and leadership will help Dwight Howard out especially.

And if the Celts let Ray walk this year (hopefully replace him with James Anderson in the draft) and let Pierce leave next year, they would have the cap space to sign Melo NEXT offseason.

your scenario makes more sense but the post i was responding to said they would rebuild this offseason by signing melo.

The Final Boss
06-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Boston got punched in the mouth this series and didn't know how to respond other than elbows, shoves, pushes, trips, and grabbing. Its similar to Tyson biting Evander's ear. Neither knew how to respond.

Tragedy
06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Boston got punched in the mouth this series and didn't know how to respond other than elbows, shoves, pushes, trips, and grabbing. Its similar to Tyson biting Evander's ear. Neither knew how to respond.
LOL.

1) I must have missed all of the elbows and trips. By shoves, did you mean the flop that 100 pound PG Rondo put on your SF Artest? Funny.

2) Punched in the mouth? To say that statement usually means a team played physical. The Lakers are not even close to a physical team, they're all about finesse and flopping.

3) You act like you weren't dying a little inside when we had you after 3 quarters, especially mid 3rd quarter. If only your team didn't get to the FT line 21 times in the 4th (to our 7), we may have had a shot.

hugepatsfan
06-19-2010, 03:37 PM
your scenario makes more sense but the post i was responding to said they would rebuild this offseason by signing melo.

I think he mispoke then because many of us Celtic fans have been discussing signing Melo if he opts out next year. That would require a lot of patience in the moves we make this offseason. If Melo decides not to opt out next year and becomes a free agent in 2012 instead of 2011, I think him to BOS becomes the most likely scenario (KG's deal would be up).

hugepatsfan
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
LOL.

1) I must have missed all of the elbows and trips. By shoves, did you mean the flop that 100 pound PG Rondo put on your SF Artest? Funny.

2) Punched in the mouth? To say that statement usually means a team played physical. The Lakers are not even close to a physical team, they're all about finesse and flopping.

3) You act like you weren't dying a little inside when we had you after 3 quarters, especially mid 3rd quarter. If only your team didn't get to the FT line 21 times in the 4th (to our 7), we may have had a shot.

Don't make stupid responses to idiot posts. The refs were fine in game 7. The Lakers got a lot of FTs off of intnetional fouls and hacks. You're letting a moron bait you into saying something dumb.

boriquaabe
06-19-2010, 06:38 PM

This is a terrible analogy. I take it spaniards don't watch boxing. In your analogy the Lakers would actually be Tyson. Holyfield was repeatedly holding and intentionally head butting Mike until Mike had finally had enough and took a bite. But I don't remember the last great spanish boxer. In fact was there ever one? But we borinquenos sure have had plenty.

what54!?
06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
not gonna say its closed, but depedging on FA and if certain people return its gonna get harder for them

Sly Guy
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
No.

haha....we said that this season and it still held true. The celtics' window has been closed since july '08.

[I love how now that the finals are over I can go back to trash talking every team]

jim51990
06-19-2010, 07:01 PM
as a celtics fan yes

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes, courtesy of the Los Angeles Lakers.

:clap:

_KB24_
06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I think its closed but don't be surprised if the Big 3 came back and gave it one last, last push next year. I can see it happening, but at the same time, they have some issues to deal with.

magichatnumber9
06-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Let me tell if we rebuild it will be very fast. This ownership group we have in Boston wants to win. Not retire off tickets and concessions, WIN. Believe me Boston will never see a lottery anytime soon.

ko8e24
06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Let me tell if we rebuild it will be very fast. This ownership group we have in Boston wants to win. Not retire off tickets and concessions, WIN. Believe me Boston will never see a lottery anytime soon.

Their future is Rondo, and that's it.

BkOriginalOne
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Their probably done, If they keep Allen However, I can still see them with a look at the ECF.
Who knows, maybe Rondo will develop a jump shot in the off season.

The Jokemaker
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I would say yes and would even say they were done this season (except the NBA powers that be had other ideas). The east is likely to get much tougher and the Celtics are only aging. A playoff run migh tbe in them if they can reload this offseason but itll be tough. They'll be in the playoff hunt but I no longer see them in the Title hunt.

Indi23
06-19-2010, 07:43 PM
This celtic team is done, they will most likely trade players next year.

First step is for them not to sign ray.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-19-2010, 07:43 PM
no way...rondo is becoming the face of franchise, perkins is getting better and a strong presence inside..and the original big 3 even at their age will still be solid in their roles...i agree with the signing of a joe johnson would really help them...they need to make sure pierce doesn't opt out which he probably won't...and resign ray and tony allen

avrpatsfan
06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
No IF and only if we make a great draft pick and he performs and we can get some if not all of our role players back.

drobe86
06-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Bostons as good as done. But it was a great run though. They I think they invented the idea of the big 3. that method will be tried and true formula for gms for a long time...

RadiantShot
06-19-2010, 09:36 PM
LOL.

You'd think after EVERYONE said we couldn't beat the Heat, Cavs, or Orlando that people might not underestimate us. But, apparently they'll say we're done again.

We'll be back in the Playoffs next year, and we'll probably coast our way to it again. That's the beauty of the East.

Coast to the Playoffs? Yeah.
Coast to the Finals, or even ECF? No.

DengelBerry
06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I see Boston only being down this year. I see them rebuilding but will be contenders after this year. no more allen, no more garnett. they keep pierce though.

Tony_Starks
06-20-2010, 06:59 PM
If Doc doesn't come back its a wrap. Him and Tib where a huge part of them overachieving in this playoff run.

They'll still be good enough to give someone a scare in the east but thats about it.

Tragedy
06-20-2010, 07:02 PM
It's funny how after last year..We were done. KG was done, Pierce was done, Ray was done, Rondo wasn't good enough.

And this year, despite Pierce and Garnett still being useful bodies, and Rondo's emergence...It's the same crap - We're done, we're all done. Pretty funny stuff. There's no doubt wel'll get the 3rd, 4th, or 5th spot in the East because the East sucks. After that, it's anyones ball game. My guess is the Celtics lay down all year again to rest up for the Playoffs.

Will they win the title? I don't know. Maybe not, because I think there are other teams that are better. But, their not done like so many are proclaiming (again).

magichatnumber9
06-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Their window will close next year when they play the Bulls with Lebron.You know you just gave me full permission to mess with you when Lebron goes somewhere else. I will be back:cool:

Tony_Starks
06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
It's funny how after last year..We were done. KG was done, Pierce was done, Ray was done, Rondo wasn't good enough.

And this year, despite Pierce and Garnett still being useful bodies, and Rondo's emergence...It's the same crap - We're done, we're all done. Pretty funny stuff. There's no doubt wel'll get the 3rd, 4th, or 5th spot in the East because the East sucks. After that, it's anyones ball game. My guess is the Celtics lay down all year again to rest up for the Playoffs.

Will they win the title? I don't know. Maybe not, because I think there are other teams that are better. But, their not done like so many are proclaiming (again).

Done in the sense of being championship contenders, yes. It took a pretty amazing run to get to the finals and a healthy Lebron elbow and they probably don't even make that. I can't see them doing the same thing next year being older and possibly losing Doc and Ray.

....also the Lakers franchise has 16 titles sir, not 11.

lakerssssssss
06-20-2010, 07:16 PM
yes

dfritz03
06-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, so tired of hearing this over and over...

The answer is simple, not at all.

1. Rondo is getting better and better, it was clear watching the playoffs that his jump shot definitely improved. His free throws will be next.

2. They have a little room to work with without making a trade. Ray Allen made 18 million last year and they will either let him go or pay him drastically less due to his career low 16 points per game and pretty poor finals performance other than Game 2. They could possibly also bring in a player like Joe Johnson to fill the hole if he goes and get some solid bench players (Iverson I think would be a great addition).

3. Pierce and KG aren't done yet, they still have plenty of life and will be trying that much harder to get maybe their last year this upcoming season.

I understand Doc may go but I'm really not concerned about it to be honest. To say this team is getting "too old" or "just don't have it anymore" is very uneducated. I heard this after last year, after their loss to the Nets this year, and many other times. Everyone relax because whether or not you like them or not, they aren't going anywhere.

IndiansFan337
06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
No....But they need to retain Ray Allen & add a backup scoring swingman & a backup PG to keep their window open.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-20-2010, 11:04 PM
they were up 11 points in the 3rd quarter of game 7 in nba finals..theres no way there done because another year of age..i also thought they were done during this past regular season and they proved me drastically wrong

phoenix_bladen
06-20-2010, 11:51 PM
no i think boston still has 1 year left in them

it really depends .... first

1) everyone needs to come back from this year's team.... resign ray allen for cheap or sign and trade him if he has to leave to get some talent back

2) sign more role players such as another big man to relieve the front court

3) rondo truly needs to develop more... getting that jumper would be a good start

if they bring everyone back from this year's team plus add more role players and depth

and rondo truly becomes the go to guy they still have another run for next year

the key is the big 3 needs as much rest as possible and that's where the role players will come in

Tragedy
06-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Coast to the Playoffs? Yeah.
Coast to the Finals, or even ECF? No.
Well, of course they would not coast to the Finals. They would attempt to do the same thing they did this year. Coast to get a decent seed (4th) and then turn it on and actually play hard in the Playoffs, as they did.

Done in the sense of being championship contenders, yes. It took a pretty amazing run to get to the finals and a healthy Lebron elbow and they probably don't even make that. I can't see them doing the same thing next year being older and possibly losing Doc and Ray.

....also the Lakers franchise has 16 titles sir, not 11.
Yeah, I should really count the 5 Championships that the city of LA never celebrated.

hugepatsfan
06-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Well, of course they would not coast to the Finals. They would attempt to do the same thing they did this year. Coast to get a decent seed (4th) and then turn it on and actually play hard in the Playoffs, as they did.

Yeah, I should really count the 5 Championships that the city of LA never celebrated.

You should because you labeled them as "Celtics" and "Lakers." The Lakers franchise has 16, not 11. If you labeled them "Boston Celtics" and "LA Lakers," you would be spot on. ;)

bostncelts34
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
wow i love all the people who disrespect the celtics. In 2008 they won,2009 they went to game 7 against orlando with no KG, 2010 game 7 NBA finals an dlose in the last 3 minutes.

Every year all you hear is "too old" and they prove everyone wrong. There is no reason why this team, with a few small tweaks cant compete for a title.

CarniifeX
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
wow i love all the people who disrespect the celtics. In 2008 they won,2009 they went to game 7 against orlando with no KG, 2010 game 7 NBA finals an dlose in the last 3 minutes.

Every year all you hear is "too old" and they prove everyone wrong. There is no reason why this team, with a few small tweaks cant compete for a title.

Without Ray Allen and possibly no Paul Pierce? I guess you consider those small tweaks.

BleedinGreen23
06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, This year was a great chance for them esp after taking down Orl and Clev....Id say KG is on the down fall and pierce and ray who knows

But encouraging for c's fans they have a deep bench if marquis daniels or shledon williams suit up, and the way rondo played was very d-wadish

bostncelts34
06-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Without Ray Allen and possibly no Paul Pierce? I guess you consider those small tweaks.

ok, and if they do lose both of those guys, plus sheed possibly retiring. That will releive quite a bit of cap space to get younger talented players