PDA

View Full Version : World Cup outdraws NBA finals in USA

Giants99
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.epltalk.com/england-usa-viewing-audience-beats-first-four-games-nba-finals/20914

NBA needs complete reform.

I tried to watch this game today, but its just not enjoyable with the refereeing the way it is.

They need to use college rules. NBA rules are so lame nowadays. All they want is to "create superstars" and the rules nowadays help guards and outside shooters way too much.

cmellofan15
06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
I'll sleep well knowing that the World Cup beat out that bull**** they called a game

iggypop123
06-18-2010, 12:35 AM
dude the world cup only comes around every 4 years. its a popular sport. most popular in the world. probably a refleciton of the growing latino poplulation in the USA

THE MTL
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I actually heard different that it was only 14 million viewers. Anyway, it didnt outdraw Game 5,6, and for damn sure not Game 7.

IDB Josh M
06-18-2010, 12:38 AM
World Cup is more popular than the olympics, and damn more popular that basketball. What do you expect?

Knowledge
06-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I dont really think the World cup beat the NBA finals. i think it was more of the hype of England vs USA that beat the NBA finals. Are Americans watching the other soccer games? No. Will they pay attention to the next USA game? questionable.

I want to see what the numbers for this game 7 are and what the average number will be for the NBA finals series vs Team USA's average pull in the World Cup. Im guessing that after the USA/England game their will be a significant drop-off.

But I do think there are some changes that the NBA needs to consider, both to the actual on court product and in FO.

MaHaRaJaH
06-18-2010, 12:53 AM
ufff specially in New york with all these african and south american immigrants just talking bout that damn dumb boring *** soccer zhit...

:facepalm:

IDB Josh M
06-18-2010, 12:53 AM
This calls for a celebration:

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496444

JPHX
06-18-2010, 12:55 AM

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496444

that is lovely!!

IDB Josh M
06-18-2010, 01:09 AM
that is lovely!!

As you can see, I was trying to link this thread to the sound, but its not working. Be glad those damn things weren't in the staples center!

rhino17
06-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I could not agree more with what the OP said.

Plain and simple, the World Cup infinitely time more entertaining that watching NBA referees blow their whistles and Kobe shooting free throws.

bigsams50
06-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Its the freakin World Cup, wht yall expect?

Mike515089
06-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Get out of here with that crap. USA will make it out of the first round but nothing further. After they lose Soccer will become as irrelavant as gymnastics until 2014.

Caps1989
06-18-2010, 01:41 AM
The NBA sucks plain and simple. It's just one step above WWE.

Rego247
06-18-2010, 01:58 AM
well its called the "beautiful game" for a reason.

it comes around every 4 years, i mean cmon, its the most anticipated sporting event for the rest of the world, even more than the olympics IMO.

its not really surprising. the anticipation, is the key factor, if it was every year, then it would take the edge off for me.

Knowledge
06-18-2010, 02:02 AM
I repeat lets see if anyone watches the next USA game. Also got to like how they only say the World Cup out drew game 4. What about the rest of the series.

IversonIsKrazy
06-18-2010, 02:07 AM
It's the World Cup for the World Sport.... wut did u expect?

Korman12
06-18-2010, 02:22 AM
This thread already exists.

Complete reform? What do suggest that the league does? Go to college rules which are essentially the exact same? If you don't like the sport, you don't like the sport. Don't call it something worse than it is when you don't like it that much in the first place.

And cut the ***t with the WWE comparisons, your arguments are garbage.

what54!?
06-18-2010, 02:23 AM
I didn't watch the world cup :shrug:

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 02:47 AM
I dont really think the World cup beat the NBA finals. i think it was more of the hype of England vs USA that beat the NBA finals. Are Americans watching the other soccer games? No. Will they pay attention to the next USA game? questionable.

I want to see what the numbers for this game 7 are and what the average number will be for the NBA finals series vs Team USA's average pull in the World Cup. Im guessing that after the USA/England game their will be a significant drop-off.

But I do think there are some changes that the NBA needs to consider, both to the actual on court product and in FO.

each game of the world cup so far (on average) have averaged over 4 million viewers. when you consider these games are being played at 4:00AM 7:00AM AND 11:00AM here on the west coast that is pretty damn impressive...

the nba finals are primetime.

the US VS ENGLAND game drew 13million viewers from ABC and 4million from UNIVISION...thats 17million viewers at 11:00AM here on the west coast and 2:00pm on the east coast on a saturday, not exactly best time for people to watch sporting events.

pretty impressive numbers for soccer here in america.

Are americans watching the other soccer games? YES
are they watching the other US games? YES...

stop looking for excuses as to why soccer is outdrawing basketball right now

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Get out of here with that crap. USA will make it out of the first round but nothing further. After they lose Soccer will become as irrelavant as gymnastics until 2014.

you're comment is factually incorrect. wrong on many accounts...

just because soccer is not relevant to you doesn't mean it isn't to other people...might want to step out of you security blanket, bubble boy...

Mike515089
06-18-2010, 02:58 AM
you're comment is factually incorrect. wrong on many accounts...

just because soccer is not relevant to you doesn't mean it isn't to other people...might want to step out of you security blanket, bubble boy...

Knock off the wise *** attitude. When has soccer ever been relivent to the United States when the World Cup isnt around? Maybe the first game Beckham played and even that is a stretch.

Hellcrooner
06-18-2010, 02:58 AM
mmm to say one thing eat the other shouldnbt have both things be shown on tv AT THE SAME time to see wich gets a better share?

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 03:05 AM
Knock off the wise *** attitude. When has soccer ever been relivent to the United States when the World Cup isnt around? Maybe the first game Beckham played and even that is a stretch.

soccer is relevant in seattle. soccer is relevant to a lot of people in america...its the most played youth sport in america...you think soccer is irrelevant to those kids...not sure what you're getting at really? if soccer isn't relevant to you, then it isn't to anyone else?

Phelps89
06-18-2010, 03:08 AM

There is obviously going to be a drop off between the USA/England game and the game tomorrow. The first game was on a Saturday afternoon. The game vs Slovenia is on a weekday in the morning. The only way to know for sure which averages more is if all the USA soccer games were on prime time like the NBA Finals.

rhino17
06-18-2010, 03:10 AM
each game of the world cup so far (on average) have averaged over 4 million viewers. when you consider these games are being played at 4:00AM 7:00AM AND 11:00AM here on the west coast that is pretty damn impressive...

the nba finals are primetime.

the US VS ENGLAND game drew 13million viewers from ABC and 4million from UNIVISION...thats 17million viewers at 11:00AM here on the west coast and 2:00pm on the east coast on a saturday, not exactly best time for people to watch sporting events.

pretty impressive numbers for soccer here in america.

Are americans watching the other soccer games? YES
are they watching the other US games? YES...

stop looking for excuses as to why soccer is outdrawing basketball right now

EXACTLY

I have been waking up at 7 every morning to catch these games, they are amazing. I have yet to watch an NBA finals game, I'd rather watch re-runs of old movies I have seen 100 times on HBO. In the World Cup, there is always an underdog to root for and great action to see. No one player dominates and no referee drastically alters games on a regular basis. It is simply the bigger draw for the casual fan.

Mike515089
06-18-2010, 03:19 AM
soccer is relevant in seattle. soccer is relevant to a lot of people in america...its the most played youth sport in america...you think soccer is irrelevant to those kids...not sure what you're getting at really? if soccer isn't relevant to you, then it isn't to anyone else?

I think theres a serious communication problem. The name of the title is The World Cup outdraws The NBA finals in the United Stated. I simply said I doubt that is true because the 4 years in between the World Cup it remains about as irrelavent as gymnastics. And before I get the reply im assuming im going to get im going to ask this question and want someone other than yourself to responde without searching for the answer on the internet. What Soccer team won the MLS championship last season and name one player that was on that team?

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 03:29 AM
I think theres a serious communication problem. The name of the title is The World Cup outdraws The NBA finals in the United Stated. I simply said I doubt that is true because the 4 years in between the World Cup it remains about as irrelavent as gymnastics. And before I get the reply im assuming im going to get im going to ask this question and want someone other than yourself to responde without searching for the answer on the internet. What Soccer team won the MLS championship last season and name one player that was on that team?

real salt lake...robbie findley:)

actually did not have to look that up...soccer is not on regular cable a lot. but there are lots of people in this country who pay for fox soccer channel, gol tv..etc...

the only reason soccer has not become a popular spectator sport here in america, imo is because americans want to watch the best in the world...the mls is not that. and the EPL (english premiere league) is on a very different time zone then us, obviously.

soccer is very popular here in america, playing wise. it hasn't quite gotten there spectator wise...

but facts are facts. on that given day, the US vs England game outdrew the celtics vs lakers final. that means there's interest in soccer here. however you want to paint the picture (US vs England rivalry, whatever) people tuned into a SOCCER game more than a basketball game.

drobe86
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not surprised. The world cup isn't decided by the refs and doesn't have some commisioner trying to keep league attendence and ratings up. The product is supposed to sell itself. Not keep a team like the Lakers at the top just so people will watch.

BALLER71
06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
The NBA sucks plain and simple. It's just one step above WWE.

Hahaha. Great post.

EaglesJackson10
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM

My new homepage

coloradobuff
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
thats nutty

nycsports2
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
not suprising well at least for me cuz its lakers celtics it was a good final but i was anticipating this world cup to be great so far its been good very defensive lots of upsets

Madness23
06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
i'm from europe, and i can tell you that no one give a damn about the NBA these days !!! maybe they would watch a final but believe me since Jordan left, it become so irrelevant that you rarely see a hoops jersey in the streets and when you see on its definetly the 23 jersey of the bulls !!! NBA should change their rules !! they already been passed by hockey, NBA is the fourth league in north american it could get worse if that stern guy keep sitting put .

Swashcuff
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
its the biggest event for the biggest sport in the world (last i checked the USA was in the world) so its no real surprise. Football (Football not American football) is the fasting growing sport in the USA so you guys better get ready for more of this.

Big Game Son
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Good. NBA needs to completely overhaul their system. Free agents having 'strategic' meetings. Refs in the mob. Commissioner who thinks he is an army general and thinks hes funny....pretty lame. Crap teams in the playoffs and limited ability for small market teams to be successful.

NBA should look at the World Cup and be embarrassed.

RaiderLakersA's
06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I really don't care for the World Cup. Sorry. If more people watch that than an NBA Finals game, then so be it. In my household no one has viewed the World Cup. Unfortunately I'm not a Nielsen's ratings household.

futureman
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Thats insane. This Game 7 was as probably as good as any game I have watched all year. Both teams were in it until the end. People are probably sick of seeing the lakers in the finals. I admit I wouldn't have watched the finals at all if Boston wasn't in it.

Klivlend
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't care about soccer. I've been trying to get into for like 8 years, two world cups ago, and just can't do it. I don't know if I just don't understand the strategy or if I genuinely just think it's really boring. But, nothing exciting ever really seems to happen. Not enough displays of raw athleticism and the dudes look small. Kicking a ball and foot control isnít overly impressive to me. Maybe unconsciously I associate it with the losers that played hacky sack in high school. I really want to like it, I mean, the rest of the world loves the damn thing. I always feel like Iím missing out on something great, so Iíll watch some and then canít force myself to finish the game. Iíll keep trying, I guess.

YankeeFan28
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM

awesome

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I really don't care for the World Cup. Sorry. If more people watch that than an NBA Finals game, then so be it. In my household no one has viewed the World Cup. Unfortunately I'm not a Nielsen's ratings household.

lol you purposely avoid the world cup...don't even give it a chance???

thats really lame imho...any true sports fan should atleast give the largest/greatest sporting event in the world a chance at least.

montazingmvp
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
woo hoo lets go crazy for a 0-0 tie. Lets go watch a bunch of guys run around and kick a ball, oooohhh the drama

you're not very bright are you?

jackdawson
06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Soccer world cup>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA finals. We are talking about the most popular sport and the greatest sporting event on the planet here.

heathonater
06-19-2010, 04:38 AM
some people might be turned off against the nab due to the donaghy allegations as well as the fact that some people think stern is fixing the nba. i dont think this is happening, but throughout the playoffs i was frustrated by the number of fouls called.

JNA17
06-19-2010, 04:46 AM
i don't like soccer at all but i guess i can see why it would be more popular.

The Raven
06-19-2010, 07:38 AM
How can anyone not like soccer. Alot of people dont give it enough credit for how entertaining it can be. Nothing is like hearing the cheers and excitement when your team scores a goal.

I just wish they would have better commentators. They are as boring as it gets both on ABC and ESPN. thats why i only watch Spanish channels. They show 1000 times more the excitement then others.

ragee
06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
If this is for real then the NBA is in trouble... LA vs Boston and Kobe vs Lebron are probably the best candidates to garner the most audience in an NBA finals...

arkanian215
06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
How can anyone not like soccer. Alot of people dont give it enough credit for how entertaining it can be. Nothing is like hearing the cheers and excitement when your team scores a goal.

I just wish they would have better commentators. They are as boring as it gets both on ABC and ESPN. thats why i only watch Spanish channels. They show 1000 times more the excitement then others.

It's just not appealing to some people. I'll agree that Martin Tyler and Andy Gray (two of the biggest announcers in game today) are monotone and will lull you to sleep, especially those 8am est games. Some people are entertained by the build up play just as much as a goal itself. After getting more into soccer, I've enjoyed basketball a lot more (especially the defensive side of it). I think a lot of Americans enjoy their sports because of stats. In soccer, there really isn't much of that, at least not many that are meaningful (passing percentages, blocked shots, distance covered, shots on goal, possession percentages don't tell you much about the game).

arkanian215
06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
If this is for real then the NBA is in trouble... LA vs Boston and Kobe vs Lebron are probably the best candidates to garner the most audience in an NBA finals...

Nah the NBA is fine. It's not like people stopped watching the finals and watched the USA vs England game instead. There's just preference of something that hasn't happened in 60 years vs something that happened just two years ago, albeit the biggest rivalry in the NBA.

montazingmvp
06-19-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't care about soccer. I've been trying to get into for like 8 years, two world cups ago, and just can't do it. I don't know if I just don't understand the strategy or if I genuinely just think it's really boring. But, nothing exciting ever really seems to happen. Not enough displays of raw athleticism and the dudes look small. Kicking a ball and foot control isnít overly impressive to me. Maybe unconsciously I associate it with the losers that played hacky sack in high school. I really want to like it, I mean, the rest of the world loves the damn thing. I always feel like Iím missing out on something great, so Iíll watch some and then canít force myself to finish the game. Iíll keep trying, I guess.

soccer players sprint, jump, endure, jostle in the box...not really sure how there could be any more athleticism shown in any sport to be honest...

if ball control with your feet isn't impressive to you then it boils down to the fact that you probably have never played in a competitive soccer match in your life so you can't relate...

its your opinion though...

and the guys on the field out there probably look small to you because they're on a really big field, lol...

there are big soccer players and small ones, not sure how this is relevant to the sport though...

do you have some sort of bias against people of a certain size...im bigger than jerry rice. wouldn't ever take away anything from him because he is a talented dude. im also bigger than nate robinson...not really sure where you were going with that comment?

and since when does playing hacky sack say anything about who you are as a person? you don't sound awfully bright in all honesty