PDA

View Full Version : State of the NBA

nolafan33
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
As you all know, the Lakers just won their 16th championship, their opponent the Celtics has 17 championships. That accounts for 33 of the leagues 64 championships, more than half.

To me, if the NBA wants to regain popularity (not saying it isn't popular now) you have to make it atleast "feel" like every team (ok not every team) has a chance. Look at the NFL, the most popular league in the United States. Every fan thinks their team can win the Superbowl. Of its 44 championships, no team has more than 6. The NFL has parity, the NBA has little if any. It's something the NBA desperately needs.

You can label some teams in the NBA as lucky, but that luck doesn't last for long. It will turn as the big market teams (LA Lakers, Boston, Chicago, etc) continue to swallow up the small market superstars. Now that the offseason is officially here, I'm sure this great class will begin to make a little noise as free agency grows closer. But realistically, how many small market or even mid market NBA teams have any chance of landing any of these guys?

I don't know, it just feels like a league that I grew up loving is slowly dieing. Your thoughts?

Giants99
06-18-2010, 12:35 AM
not gonna happen in NBA. way things are, all you need is 2 superstars. if you got no superstars, you aint gonna win.

In NFL and baseball you can randomly get late round picks, or mediocre prospects who develop into good players. not so for NBA

boolish
06-18-2010, 12:37 AM
well there are some questionable deals being done. The Garnett deal, the Gasol deal. those deals changed the balance of the league. And it came down to economics. The small market teams could not afford those players so they basically gave them away for "futures". The Lakers would be nowhere without Paul Gasol.

soonabooma
06-18-2010, 01:02 AM
We'll try to do our part in OKC.

Now, cue the first idiot to say Kevin Durant will not stay in OKC....come on, we're waiting.

;)

rhino17
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
The NBA needs to take the control of the game out of the hands of the officials and STOP promoting superstars with calls and such. No one wants to watch that, it turns the casual fan away. The NBA is rigged and there is absolutely no denying that. Until Stern is killed or steps down, I for one am done with this joke of a league.

IversonIsKrazy
06-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Basketball is a high scoring game, that is a best of seven series format, which is why this will NEVER happen, also with 82 games in the season. American Football has 16 games, with 1game series format, which is why this happens.

But I wouldn't have it any other way

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 01:48 AM
lakers 37 - 17 celts free throws explains state of the nba....

tr4shb0t
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM
they do make a good majority of the teams feel like they have a chance. during the regular season. that's why the regular season is fake. that's why you don't ever see the defending champs get the best record. crappy teams will always win against the defending champs during the reg season so their fans think they have a chance. surely it works well for them because it happens every year.

madiaz3
06-18-2010, 04:22 AM
lakers 37 - 17 celts free throws explains state of the nba....

pull up the rebounding disparity

i forgot what it was

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 04:29 AM

i forgot what it was

53-40 lakers, 23-8 offensive rebounds lakers

OA SLAY
06-18-2010, 04:29 AM
cut the league to 28 teams...spread the talent.

Korman12
06-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Getting parity is more difficult in the NBA than in any other sport. It's not recent history, it's the entire history of the game. Like someone said above, without a legitimate superstar it's extremely difficult to win anything in the NBA.

The last team to win without a legitimate superstar was Detroit in 2004. And before that it was Seattle in 1979. It just doesn't happen in other sports.

PraiseJesus
06-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Remember Spurs vs Cavs?

That was more boring than watching paint dry.

GHGHCP
06-18-2010, 05:12 AM

i forgot what it was

Your sig kills me! lol :D