PDA

View Full Version : Cubs contacted Red Sox about Fukudome

YankeeFan28
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Multiple sources tell Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com that the Cubs recently approached the Red Sox to "gauge their interest" in Kosuke Fukudome.

McAdam writes that the Red Sox have walked away from talks, at least for now, because the Cubs have refused to take on a significant part of Fukudome's remaining salary. Fukudome, 33, will earn $13 million this season and another $13.5 million in 2011. The Red Sox have a clear need for an outfielder right now, but that is a significant price to pay for a player who has batted just .261 with a 776 OPS in the major leagues. No-trade clause aside, the Cubs will have a very difficult time trading him to any team.http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37761692/ns/sports-player_news/

CbsFn9
06-18-2010, 12:04 AM
We need Fukudome. He's going to be an important piece of the team this year, if we plan on contending.

Sasuke11
06-18-2010, 12:09 AM
We need Fukudome. He's going to be an important piece of the team this year, if we plan on contending.

Agreed. Tonight is a perfect example. If I'm not mistaken he is hitting close to .300 with runners in scoring this year.

thawv
06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Agreed. Tonight is a perfect example. If I'm not mistaken he is hitting close to .300 with runners in scoring this year.

He's batting .333 with RISP. His OPS is 1.067 with RISP also. However, with 2 outs and RISP, he's hitting .150. Overall, I have no problem with him at bat when we need a hit.

Randall Simon
06-18-2010, 03:44 PM
perfect time to deal him. he's a first half player...and aging. and we ARE NOT contending this year!

toovey107
06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
perfect time to deal him. he's a first half player...and aging. and we ARE NOT contending this year!

I agree we should deal him, but I would really like you to prove this.

redwhitenblue
06-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree we should deal him, but I would really like you to prove this.
Umm...2008!!!

Forget 2009, that year didn't actually exist, it's stats don't matter!

DamnGoat
06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Only way we'll be able to trade him is if we take on most of his salary, so I don't blame the Red Sox for ending talks for now. Maybe we'll wise up, maybe not.

thawv
06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Career first half: BA .272 OBP.376 SLG .425 OPS .801

Career second half: BA .246 OBP .355 SLG .381 OPS .736

It's pretty clear that he does better in the first half. However, his playing time is dramatically less in the second half.

BUD Bleachers
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM
When are some of us Cubs fans going to wise up?

Have any of you heard of toxic debt?

That's what the Cubs have.

"Assets" that aren't worth the money owed.

So, who's going to feel sorry for the Cubs, you know, the team that has the highest payroll in the NL?

I'm sure teams are lining up to pay exorbitant money for overrated players.

Some of you morons, but then that might also inculde Hendry as well, think that it will be okay to trade certain players for younger talent while paying them their exorbitant amounts of cash to play for another team.

Yeah, that's sound business.

Here's an idea, at the Angels game tomorrow, maybe each of us 40,000 fans should take $20 out of our pockets and collectively line up and flush the bill(s) down the toilet. Why? Because that makes about as much sense as trading players away WHILE still paying their salaries.

Hendry royally screwed this team. He did what he thought was right at the time. The window was there for 2 years in a row, and the Cubs failed to win a playoff game.

The window has now closed.

Unless these guys start playing baseball again some time soon this summer, then this season is over, much like last year, before it really ever started.

It leaves you reeling. You feel like maybe the Cubs will go on a Rockies, or Houston-like run, but don't count on it.

The Cubs are a mess. They lack any type of solidarity and consistency.

Did you realize that the consecutive victories over the A's was the first time the Cubs won back to back games since May 22nd and 23rd?

It's a comedy of errors, literally.

The fact that Hendry is even commenting on "having no intentions of firing Piniella," is an absolute joke. HENDRY is the one that should be fired, not Lou.

But, that's the way MLB works; fire the manager when the team blows. Ricketts is showing to be pretty soft. He seems to be the typical Cubs fan assclown that fans of other teams loathe.

Mr. Handshaker extraordinaire really needs to figure this out, or he'll be the laughing stock of Chicago in no time.

Jilly Bohnson
06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
When are some of us Cubs fans going to wise up?

Have any of you heard of toxic debt?

That's what the Cubs have.

"Assets" that aren't worth the money owed.

So, who's going to feel sorry for the Cubs, you know, the team that has the highest payroll in the NL?

I'm sure teams are lining up to pay exorbitant money for overrated players.

Some of you morons, but then that might also inculde Hendry as well, think that it will be okay to trade certain players for younger talent while paying them their exorbitant amounts of cash to play for another team.

Yeah, that's sound business.

Here's an idea, at the Angels game tomorrow, maybe each of us 40,000 fans should take $20 out of our pockets and collectively line up and flush the bill(s) down the toilet. Why? Because that makes about as much sense as trading players away WHILE still paying their salaries.

Hendry royally screwed this team. He did what he thought was right at the time. The window was there for 2 years in a row, and the Cubs failed to win a playoff game.

The window has now closed.

Unless these guys start playing baseball again some time soon this summer, then this season is over, much like last year, before it really ever started.

It leaves you reeling. You feel like maybe the Cubs will go on a Rockies, or Houston-like run, but don't count on it.

The Cubs are a mess. They lack any type of solidarity and consistency.

Did you realize that the consecutive victories over the A's was the first time the Cubs won back to back games since May 22nd and 23rd?

It's a comedy of errors, literally.

The fact that Hendry is even commenting on "having no intentions of firing Piniella," is an absolute joke. HENDRY is the one that should be fired, not Lou.

But, that's the way MLB works; fire the manager when the team blows. Ricketts is showing to be pretty soft. He seems to be the typical Cubs fan assclown that fans of other teams loathe.

Mr. Handshaker extraordinaire really needs to figure this out, or he'll be the laughing stock of Chicago in no time.

That's not true. The reason you pay their salary is so you get assets back in return in teh form of players. Money is scarce around MLB right now. If you move a guy like Fukudome and pay a large part of his salary, you should get some nice young players in return.

The ChiCago KiD
06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
dudes and dudettes....what we need to do is blow this whole team up.....this is just awful on my eyes....im sick of watching this team...it turns my stomach.....get rid of everyone....

redwhitenblue
06-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Career first half: BA .272 OBP.376 SLG .425 OPS .801

Career second half: BA .246 OBP .355 SLG .381 OPS .736

It's pretty clear that he does better in the first half. However, his playing time is dramatically less in the second half.
No it's not.

In 2008 the difference was large. In 2009 he had a statistically better 2nd half than 1st half.

So exactly half the time he's better in the first half than the second half. The other half of the time he's better in the second half than the first half.

Go look at his 2 years one at a time, he is in no logical, explainable way a certainty to be worse July through September than he is April-June.

windycityD
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I can give you 13.5 million reasons why Fukudome wont be moved, unless it's us swapping his contract for a like one coming back. That's the type of deal we're talking about here and there are not many of those just waiting to happen or worth happening. There is no way in hell Ricketts is going to sign off on us eating 50-60% of his remaining payroll, 2010 money included. Period.

When you talk about swap deals & potential fits, names like Jason Marquis, Jon Garland (mutual option in 2011), and Gil Meche pop up. Ah, no thanks. He has more value than that, if he is used the way he should be used in 2011- as our primary lead off hitter.